• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wings and Brew VI: Name TBA - Columbus, OH - FIRST POST UPDATED WITH NEW RULES!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Am I the only one that, if I lose, I play vs that character for like 20 hours online against the best player of that character I can find (I've already logged about 15 hours vs Snake in the last 3 days, watch out Infern).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why wait for others to catch up? when you can just Learn more, and constantly improve instead. But who knows maybe you are learning stuff with your tactics. Although some games I am not sure how =(.

And as far as threats you lost to Wakka this weekend.
Then I took a 30 minute nap and beat Y.b.M. and Count and got 4th to Wakka's 9th. ;)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea. That is how I started. That is also imo the best way to get good in a quick time period. If you can break the top 200, 100, 60 (Playoff cut off, very competive to get into top 60), 50, 25, 10, etc, it will show in your live tournament performance.

I went to my first Brawl tournament was in late March or Early April 2008. Teamed with G-reg. Got 7/25ish in teams and 33/71 in singles.

In the Spring of 2008 I played gamebattles, started the season 13-13 and was ranked outside the top 200. I then began recording and reviewing my matches, finishing the season like 28-15 and breaking the top 100. I was very happy with this accomplishment.

In the summer of 2008 I got as high as 7th on AiB (out of about 3,000).

In mid-October of 2008, roughly 6 months after my first tournament, I went to my second one and got 3/68 in singles and 2/35 in All-Brawl. There was no doubles. I've been placing highly ever since.

I then sporadically just did friendlies with online players while going to lots of tournaments. If a match up eluded me then I found someone online to practice it with me. As an example, Overswarm can blame me knowing the ROB MU really well now on several hours of practice vs Stringers online and days of practice vs SneakyTaco offline, .

The last ladder season I tried to do well was Summer 2009, where the highest I got was 18th (out of about 5,000).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
As an example, Overswarm can blame me knowing the ROB MU really well now on several hours of practice vs Stringers online and days of practice vs SneakyTaco offline, .
It's true! It went from an auto-win vs. AZ to a tough match inbetween the two tournaments we played at.

Framerate

Smash Lord
For some people wifi just works. If I'm not mistaken that's how Shugo got good too. I've been trying, but maybe Jiggs was not made out for wifi. I played a little right before the last tourney but it really didn't seem to help; the best I did that day was take a game off Capem with fox (i didn't play any fox on wifi x_x)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yea, this is a fighting game, and unfortunately jiggs is...

Well, you know better than I. If you were to pickup a character in the top 10 or so though and produce good results on wifi, it will show in live play.

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
When I was still able to play brawl at home, almost all my time playing was wifi. A few friends of mine said I was pretty good, and I even annihilated a competetive Falco player with Pit, who I have never mained or even seconded.
Neither of us can use lag johns, since he told me afterwords that there was no lag at all. Although, we DID play on Port Town, and both of us lost a stock due to being ran over >_>
I need to either get a wii again, or go to more tourneys and smashfests D:<

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yep, wifi helped me learn so much about my character and a few matchups when others weren't available. All it takes is a good connection and a bit of a change in timing. Wifi also feels like a "weight" to me so that I feel faster with my character when I go back to offline play, it's weird lol.

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
I actually don't notice any difference most of the time. Even when playing on a LCD that lags, I noticed nothing >_>

King~

Smash Champion
i am currently 29th on gamebattles, since i cant really drive and practice witht he people close to me i play wifi on the days im off of work or didnt go to school.
ive been playing wifi for a while now and its just recently(like may 09) started helpin me more and more.

plus it dosent limit my experiences vs characters like only playin people up here does

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Playing Wifi vs. playing offline is like comparing cutting down trees with an axe to whittling. You do the former to get you started with everything you need, you do the latter to refine it into what you want.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Playing Wifi vs. playing offline is like comparing cutting down trees with an axe to whittling. You do the former to get you started with everything you need, you do the latter to refine it into what you want.
This.

I'm not sure what date is good for me in Jan...

But it seems more likely that you'll go with Jan 23rd if anything.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Well, from AZ's Ohio Circuit thread

-Delta Upsilon (January 23rd) = Event 2 in Columbus

-Delta Upsilon = Event 4 in Columbus(February 6th - if a new area, maybe Dayton, could get an event here, that would be awesome)
I assume one of these is supposed to be WaB.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd put my money on Nope improving drastically too. He's just missing a few things from his style, mostly when to go aggro. It'll just click with no warning once he gets past that, too.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Sounds to me like Nope doesn't do it right.
He's better defensively on the ground than any of the God Kais OR Level 9 Snake. The God Kais just know how to punish people when they approach snake and mess up, and have gotten wrecked in the air for so many months by my MK and ROB that knocking them off stage doesn't result in an auto-KO anymore when the person approaching doesn't mess up. Once Nope learns how to punish more often, he'll have dozens more opportunities than the GKais do in any of their games. Thus, Nope will wreck people's faces off once he figures out when and how to punish people for approaching incorrectly.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Well...idk...I tried playing WiFi back when the game came out, but I stopped because the lag was horrendous...after that I kinda strayed away from it.

GoadMoose

Smash Journeyman
Uhh kinda noob question.. but since you all are talking about wifi.. how do you set up matches between people? Like trade friend codes and stuff >.> Cus I think I should try that and see if it helps my Sheik any

TheKiest

Smash Champion
All is Brawl has an online ladder where people meet in chat rooms to give codes away and set up matches (which is what AZ and Q did a lot before the C-bus scene started up)

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Uhh kinda noob question.. but since you all are talking about wifi.. how do you set up matches between people? Like trade friend codes and stuff >.> Cus I think I should try that and see if it helps my Sheik any
http://allisbrawl.com/

Its like a facebook for smash, where you fight people online.

and if you want to be cool, just say 'Jama?'

but yeah, you can exchange brawl friend codes with anyone, anytime. AIM works pretty well too, my friends and me used to even use texting.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yea, actually, q and i basically met via wifi.

Since I'm keeping the cap low at 24 I don't think WaB will be Ohio Circuit events. I can get the frat venue I think almost any weekend I want (minus weekends where we are doing a party or something).

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I know I met AZ and Shugo over wifi, but at the time they didn't really know who I was, we were just familiar with playing each other before. Meeting both of them irl was awesome though since they're both so chill. Wifi serves it purposes. :3

Kel

Smash Master
Just for the record, I didn't all out plank YbM. My thought process was "this is gay, I KNOW he's gonna roll right here, then spotdodge here, then go for a grab here" he would then do those things and I would still take a crap ton of damage so I thought "how can I eliminate this roll strategy in brawl? Oh, I'll go near the edge."

you can call me playing the ledge gay, but IMO roll spamming is pretty "gay" for a "fighting game" too... Which is why I ****ing hate lucario.

Sorry AZ, I'm not gonna turn your thread into a rules argument (and I know you wouldn't allow it anyway)- just trying to clarify what happened.

Top Bottom