• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You don't have to cook a Semtex or a Grenade launched grenade. Besides, this is only one situation, me cooking a grenade. I could just point my gun at you and back pedal, and there would be nothing you could do. You could begin to pull out your pistols, but I will have killed you by the time you got them out.
There's a very distinct animation when you begin to use a grenade, regardless of if you cook it or not. Grenade Launchers are the only true threat in your situation, and even then I don't just sit around and wait for people to shoot me. I approach them immediately most of the time, meaning I am probably within the range of the grenade launcher failing.

If you back pedal, I just crouch and walk forward to you. Nothing you could do. Similarly, I can do quick bouts of sprinting immediately into crouching to close the distance, with minimal vulnerability, usually not enough for you to kill me.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Why would someone use pistols with Riot Shield? I usually pace my Akimbo Rangers with them. I mean, if you have a Riot Shield, your intent was close range combat to begin with. If someone runs, you pull out rangers, but it's effective only if you have Marathon. That's what I equip, cause, what use are the blue perks with a Riot Shield?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Marathon is the only good perk.

Riot Shield if you're in Ranger range or pistol if you're in Akimbo 1887 range.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I haven't found a use for those Throwing Knives, to be honest. Although, I rarely use my Riot Shield class. When I do, it's to aid in crowd control - I become the guinea pig for my team mates to spot the enemies shooting at me.

For some reason, I can handle a crowd amazingly well. But in a confined area such as a hall or alley. Open spaces is a bad idea, but sometimes I do it for the lulz.

Maybe I should try soloing it . . .

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
scav to get throwing knives
Scavenger is a godsend for Throwing Knives. Throwable One Hit Kills that leave you vulnerable for a small amount of time.

The akimbo pistols for the Riot Shield are for emergency, like there are multiple enemies nearby and there's no way you'd be able to take them down with the Riot shield alone. They're fast to pull out, making them more effective than shotguns imo.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I love the Throwing Knife, no matter how difficult to hit with. It's so fun IMO. I got a bounce kill one time. Mawwwwn tahhhhge.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Riot Shields on Search isn't that bad. Camping at a bombsite with your throwing knife ready to go is a good idea. I've gone 7-3 once doing so on Afghan. Something to consider.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
+1 to the guide band wagon, this time, well, you kinda know where I'm going now...

The Guide to being a sniper
Made by Charizard92​

Ah yes, the sniper rifle. One of the many staples of FPS (along with grenade spamming and annoying shotguns). Sniping In MW2 is in some ways, a skill. Some also do things "their own way" and by that I mean Imitating the dozens of quickscoping Intervention montages all over Youtube (which interestingly keeps me locked into using that sniper). If you are trying to do this, stop now. The sniper rifle is NOT a combat weapon, so in almost all situations, you would be with the lower hand. Sniping from the sides or rear of your team is the best way to go.

1: the sniper rifle:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, you need to pick the weapon that suits you first. There are 4 snipers, not as diverse as most other weapons groups, but this is in fact enough variability to cover all the fields. Each sniper rifle is best in their own category, and there is 4 (handy huh?). The 4 sniping categories is defensive, offensive, non-stopping power, and Jack-o-all-trades. I'll go over each sniping style, the best sniper, and why.

Defensive sniping: For those who hang back in some perch waiting for prey to sneak by attempting to cause carnage on your team or take a valuable objective, this is for you. Of course, it is slow, long, and tiring, but you are likely guaranteed the longest life if you set up your perch in the correct place. You might even have the highest K/D if you're lucky.

Best Defensive sniper: Intervention

One of two OHK rifles, the Intervention benefits from a lower recoil and slightly higher accuracy (You are still likely to miss a shot, but that is expected). Even without stopping power, it is a OHK to the chest or higher. Due to it's low RoF, you are most likely to rely on your secondary when traveling, aka relatively prone. Despite this, it is the best weapon to have in a sniper's nest.

Offensive sniping: Instead of waiting in a nest for prey that may never come, why not go along with your team and serve as an assist? This is offensive sniping. You are working off more stealth than the defensive sniper (although stealth is recommended to any sniper), so of course, you should be advancing from the sides, where enemies aren't likely to be. Traveling from perch to perch, picking off foes from behind.

Best offensive sniper: M21 EBR

The M21 functions more like a BR than an SR. This is why it is the best offensive sniper. With little recoil, connecting shots is easier, especially since this is a 2 shot sniper. It does remarkably well with an ACOG or silencer, both weapons of recommendation due to your method of sniping.

Non-stopping power sniping: Not exactly a sniping style, but more like a sniper set up. Stopping power is a recommended perk, but other perks like cold blooded is also of consideration. Technically, all sniper rifles can snipe without stopping power relatively well, but some do better than others.

Best rifle without stopping power: WA2000

Since the gun has low recoil, a OHK to the chest or above, and does not benefit from stopping power, it is the natural pick for sniping without stopping power. Of course, considering that other snipers do better in certain situations, it is often overlooked. No wonder it's the least popular sniper rifle (only 17% of normal game mode users prefer the WA2000. The Intervention Holds 39%, and the M21 holds 23%. The rifle I will cover next holds 21%)

Mixed sniper: Instead of having 2 sniper classes doing offensive and defensive sniping (and getting yourself killed), why not do both in one? Behold mixed sniping, a sniper that does well offensively & defensively. They adapt to what the team needs, making you potentially more devastating.

best Mixed sniper: Barret 50 cal.

It may be a bit less accurate than the intervention, and has the highest kick (even though it's predictable), but it's semi but/power sniper nature allows it to go in places the Intervention and M21 can't go, without breaking a sweat. It may be inferior to the other two in their respective zones, but the ability to easily cross the border is more than enough to warrant this (despite only 21% of people believing so).

Secondaries:
Unless you are using the M21, you are going to be relying on your secondary weapon a lot. With the Intervention, it is your moving gun. With the M21, it's a fallback. With the Barret and WA2000 it's both. Choosing the right secondary could save your life, or allow you to steal from the guy you just killed of the street an ACR or something.

Pistols:
The power pistols seem like a good Idea, but with their low ammo count, they are ill recommended on any sniper but the M21. The normal pistols may take a while to kill, but the ability to switch fast to them makes them a good fallback. As a travel weapon, they kinda suck, so it isn't highly recommended for the Intervention.

MPs:
Half of the MPs whip out relatively fast (The G18 and M93R), while the other two take a while and have less ammo. The two pistol MPs are thus the more recommended ones, and can serve as good travel and fallback weapons, making them good with all snipers.

Shotguns:
while they certainly are a good travel weapon, they aren't so good to fall back on. This is because they take a while to take out, in contrast to the 1 second MPs, or near instant Handgun. You may not want to start with one of these, so don't

Launchers:
Please, do yourself a favor and pick something other than these. They are not direct combat weapons, and considering that you now have 2 non-direct combat weapons, you have nothing to fall back on.

Equipment:
There are two equipment I recommend. The TI is a great offensive sniper tool, allowing you to stay on the front lines, or even behind enemy lines. For defensive snipers, Claymores are more recommended, since they serve like a warning buzzer if someone is too close (there is a distinct click before one goes off, if you hear that, get ready for a fight).

Specials:
I recommend Smoke to cover your tracks, but anything goes.

T1 Perks:
Marathon, while tempting, is not a great perk for a defensive sniper, since you are going to be sitting on your *** for half the match. For offensive snipers, maybe, but other perks are available.
The Faster ADS of Sleight of hand pro is also tempting, but reloading fast isn't that helpful to a sniper, nor to a typical MP or pistol secondary. Best used with a shotgun that HAS AMMO (aka not AA-12)
Scavenger is really a godsend to snipers. Giving extra ammo, and the ability to reequip your equipment, and your grenades, and your ammo, is incredibly great.
Bling is only recommended for offensive or mixed snipers, giving you two attachments of varying effectiveness. I prefer scavenger, but your call.
One man army, really bad Idea. The ability to swap classes is countered by the fact that you have an indirect combat weapon. Worse, you only have one, so you are outright screwed in a fight.

T2 perks:
While marathon has potential, Lightweight needs marathon, and since you aren't running in the first place, and the T2 field is dominated by 2 perks, kind of like a penny in a chest of gold (replace penny with lowest value currency in countries without pennies).
Stopping power if of course, the most recommended perk in the game. However, I do not recommend stopping power. Sure, you can kill with a stomach shot, but you don't need it. Worse, it makes you kinda lazy with your aim, and makes aiming at a barely exposed part more difficult. That and that everything can see you, which makes staying alive more difficult.
Hardline is also tempting, but really, Do you really need it?
Cold-blooded, the ability to be harder to spot on thermal, invisible to killsteak rewards, and, well, hide. Not being seen is of course, possibly the most needed thing on a sniper kit (or a Monty Python Skit). Just remember the first rule of not being seen, don't stand up. Rule number 2, do not employ an obvious piece of cover.
Danger close, you aren't using explosives, NEXT!

T3 Perks:
Commando gives you an extended knife range, and also the ability to fall without getting hurt. But again, other perks are available.
Steady aim pro. Your secondary (and primary if you're in a no-scope situation) gets a tighter hip cross hair, making your secondary more effective. You can also hold your breath longer, which is of course, extremely helpful.
Scrambler does raise up flags, so if you are trying to stay hidden, I ill recommend. Fine if you want to mess with the other team though.
Ninja also sounds good, but Heartbeat sensors aren't as common as UAVs, and People with headsets can still hear you.
Sitrep shows you where equipment is, but you don't need that. Nor do you need to hear that plane engine sound.
Last stand, useless, nooby, and guaranteed death.

Deathstreaks:
Any you want. I go with Final stand, but it's your preference. Anything but Martyrdom, which sucks.

attachments:
Silencers are useless on a sniper. You only appear as a 1 sec red dot, which nobody is going to react to.
Heartbeat sensors can be distracting. Worse, they require your primary to be out. Did I tell you that Sniper rifles aren't direct combat weapons?
ACOG on M21, good. ACOG on anything else, bad.
Thermal, Either this or FMJ. Thermal makes finding people easier, but is prone to compromise in the form of cold blooded. That and it's just plain tiny.
FMJ, any added power (outside stopping power) is recommended. that and this is like The Deep impact perk from CoD4.
Extended mags, not needed.

Thus concludes yet another guide on the SWF MW2 Page.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The Guide to being a sniper
Made by Charizard92​
Expected/10.

Anyways, it was a fairly good guide. Could use a bit more formatting and spaces between the perk lines.

Also, FMJ does not add power to the gun, only penetration, which reduces the damage lost when shooting through surfaces. The in-game stats lie.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I love the throwing knife! Though mostly only for its aesthetics... XD

I do love using them with my stealth classes though... and its great if you stumble on someone out of the range of your melee knife and you'd rather not be heard(or you're just out of bullets... OR you just want a cool kill :D )

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I love the throwing knife! Though mostly only for its aesthetics... XD

I do love using them with my stealth classes though... and its great if you stumble on someone out of the range of your melee knife and you'd rather not be heard(or you're just out of bullets... OR you just want a cool kill :D )
It is my goal to get every game winning kill cam with a Throwing Knife.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I don't think so. It's just Akimbo + FMJ. Akimbo + FMJ is better than just Akimbo, but I don't think it does anything too significant. But I haven't done any real testing on it.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
*plays and tried the care package trick*

. . . .

Wow, that's a noticeable difference.

S

smash brawl player 99021

*plays and tried the care package trick*

. . . .

Wow, that's a noticeable difference.
Hell yeah there is.

Pretty good guide Charizard. Some of the stuff I kinda disagree with but other than that ok.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I still highly disagree with camping with a sniper. If you want 5 kills per game, be my guest. I find run and gun Sleight of Hand/Stopping Power/Steady Aim'd Intervention/.50skill to be the most effective.

Otherwise, this happens.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JP5mSDfCPsU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JP5mSDfCPsU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
Just as a side note for the riot shield talk..

If you bash someone with a riot shield, 8 out of 10 times you're lined up perfectly to throwing knife them without having to aim at all. Use it with scavenger and it makes for something awesome :p

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
We thought about it but we don't have the recording equipment.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Rumor: Infinity Ward hiring SOE devs for MMO

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/08/rumor-infinity-ward-hiring-soe-devs-for-mmo/

"Once more, we must throw another rumor into the gurgling vat of faint indications that Infinity Ward is planning a subscription-based MMO. This time 'round, Destructoid cites the wise council of anonymous "industry sources" that reportedly suggests that Infinity Ward is hiring developers from Sony Online Entertainment (and borrowing a few human resources from Blizzard) to work on the new project.

Now, if these reports are accurate, there's no earthly way of knowing for certain if the project is an MMO, or whether or not it will even be based on the Call of Duty franchise. "

EA Euro boss: Bad Company 2 is 'first strong attack' on Call of Duty

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/08/bad-company-2-is-first-strong-attack-on-call-of-duty/

Electronic Arts is really pushing to gain ground in the battle for FPS multiplayer popularity. Speaking with MCV, EA Europe senior VP Jens Uwe Intat proclaimed that March's launch of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will be the publisher's "first strong attack" launched on Call of Duty. By that stream of logic, we're guessing the Medal of Honor reboot would be the second?

Intat believes that if any studio can take on Modern Warfare, it's DICE. He reiterates that the "shooter" genre is important to the publisher and that EA is "certainly working on how [it] can get that crown back."

But Is Infinity Ward Doing Modern Warfare 3?

http://kotaku.com/5443502/but-is-infinity-ward-doing-modern-warfare-3

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That makes me wonder... who would the people on SWF be?

I think Zero would be Captain Price since he can snipe a ****ing Helicopter. TWICE.
TRG would probably be Soap since I don't know anyone else that can scale a moutain and stab a dude in the chest.
I'd probably be Ghost since I'm gullible but still awesome and would let myself be
Set on fire by Shepherd. *****.
F8AL would be Roach since TRG, him, and I all work well together.
ODIN would be Sgt. Folley since he's a cool dude.
Icy would be Ramirez since better him than us. If we needed someone to take point, we can count on him.
Grunt would be Meat because he plays Melee.
Charizard would be Corporal Dunn.
Cyan would be Makarov for two reasons. I'm running out of characters and he plays on the PS3.
And smashman can be General Shepherd.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Hell yeah Ramirez. I'd love to have my name as a meme D;
RAMIREZ! LICK MY BOOT.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I still highly disagree with camping with a sniper. If you want 5 kills per game, be my guest. I find run and gun Sleight of Hand/Stopping Power/Steady Aim'd Intervention/.50skill to be the most effective.

Otherwise, this happens.
Lol that was win. I remember seeing a similar vid for WaW. He clearly doesn't know how to snipe. =P

What about a camping Sniper that picks some position in the center of the map that can view the majority of locations? That's my style of Sniping.

If you bash someone with a riot shield, 8 out of 10 times you're lined up perfectly to throwing knife them without having to aim at all. Use it with scavenger and it makes for something awesome :p
I love that trick. Shield Bash > Throwing Knife. The knife interrupts all lag as well. It's got them IASA frames.

That makes me wonder... who would the people on SWF be?

I think Zero would be Captain Price since he can snipe a ****ing Helicopter. TWICE.
TRG would probably be Soap since I don't know anyone else that can scale a moutain and stab a dude in the chest.
I'd probably be Ghost since I'm gullible but still awesome and would let myself be
Set on fire by Shepherd. *****.
F8AL would be Roach since TRG, him, and I all work well together.
ODIN would be Sgt. Folley since he's a cool dude.
Icy would be Ramirez since better him than us. If we needed someone to take point, we can count on him.
Grunt would be Meat because he plays Melee.
Charizard would be Corporal Dunn.
Cyan would be Makarov for two reasons. I'm running out of characters and he plays on the PS3.
And smashman can be General Shepherd.
Ctrl + F: Deltacod

No results found.

D:

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Ok guys, TRG has agreed to make me the new OP of this thread now. You can expect more frequent and quicker updates now.

Thanks TRG and Zero Beat!

EDIT: Just added O D I N's, Icy's and Charizard's guides to the OP!

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master

That's pretty old to me, but there has to be someone here who didn't know about it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ahh the thread is finally out of my hands... but we all know that you're the best man for the job F8AL!

EDIT: Also don't forget that some of the links towards the top of the OP are still not working! I never had enough time to fix the problem. :urg:

Top Bottom