• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ART with Your Almighty Power 4! Results March 28th, 1997!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
i have an idea but with 5 days and ps isnt working right now im gonna have to pass this time. =[

Chaco

Never Logs In
It wasn't made for the contest, and no it wouldn't be a shame considering it's like me pulling a piece I did two years ago and applying it to this contest because no one but Lokii has seen it. Pretty much the same principle. Plus it's just not that. You have no WIPs, so it's two technicalities. Just saying.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
It wasn't made for the contest, and no it wouldn't be a shame considering it's like me pulling a piece I did two years ago and applying it to this contest because no one but Lokii has seen it. Pretty much the same principle. Plus it's just not that. You have no WIPs, so it's two technicalities. Just saying.
^ Honestly, I agree with teh Chaco.
This contest is about using your creativity to depict the theme in any way you see fit

And i'd like CnC too ; w ; Critique is neeededdddd xP

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
This contest is about using your creativity to depict the theme in any way you see fit
Quoting Chrono for emphasis.

This contest is for new pieces made specifically for this contest. It's extremely obvious even that those pieces weren't made with the prompt in mind.

Also, this isn't the place -at all- to dump a bunch of images you drew and have people vote on them here to decide oh hey which one you want to submit. It spams up this thread, and is annoying.

I appreciate your honesty about them not being done for this contest, but they still can't be entered. There's always next time to make a legit entry.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
We may not see eye to eye on this issue, but I will certainly respect your rules... consider my previous submission candidates withdrawn.

However, there's no need to wait until next time when I have crazy spring break fueled free time and work to avoid! :D

I present my new and final submission, created over the last 4-5 hours, made in the style of my previous entries but painted specifically for this contest and its theme of anger. I acknowledge that I chose not to utilize any blue in this picture, and accept any point penalties that come of it.

Bowser's Anger

WIP shot of the stencil I created

C/P'd the process from my old post since the method was the same...
The process I used was to capture an image from Melee or Bawrl using Debug/Codes. Then I imported this into PSPro to reduce it to 2 colors. Then I cleaned this up manually a bit, adding or subtracting areas to my tastes. I then printed this out over several pages and pieced the character together with tape. This image was then taped over a white-painted canvas. Several (acrylic) colors were then selected which I felt represented the character in some way. I then went to town with the splattering.

Good splatter work is harder than you might think (and I thought)... different styles require varying distances from the canvas, paint viscosity, speed, flick follow-through etc. In my splatters, I was trying to convey the kinetics of these moves. Looking at DK's punch you can see the splatters behind him indicate the speed with which he's leaned into the punch. The finer misting of droplets by his fist and larger blotches are indicative of an impact force. This doesn't always work perfectly, but decently enough.

After initial splattering, I painted in the newly exposed outline with black, and then painted in the details with white. Finally, I did another light layer of speckles over the whole thing to bring it all together. I chose to work in a style that was mostly a silhouette due to the iconic nature of each pose.

This camera I'm using is distorting the hue and saturation a bit... more than my PSPro skills can fix. If I can get another camera and better light before the 14th I'll try to upload another picture. If not, I'm happy enough with this.

Cheers!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oy. Secondary theme is Blue, son. But, hell. it's secondary. I think we feel conditioned to INCLUDE blue, but I assume it's not necessary. It just adds more to you and your submission should you include the color blue to convey anger.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
That was my assumption as well.

I considered it, though, but ultimately determined that if my painting used shades of blue it would look more like a howl of sadness than a roar of fury... and thus the need to fulfill the primary category won over.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
R we allowed to post critiques here? or do we need to go to the critique forum? neway-guus, i love it! BSOD happened to me and i got soo angry. i think it really captures the anger without even needing the face--if you've experienced bsod you know that it represents anger. but the face adds that little bit of lul to it...i think u took a pic of me when bsod happened!
btw-almost done with my pic, it's a painting. hope it doesnt get torn up too badly.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Oy. Secondary theme is Blue, son. But, hell. it's secondary. I think we feel conditioned to INCLUDE blue, but I assume it's not necessary. It just adds more to you and your submission should you include the color blue to convey anger.
That was my assumption as well.

I considered it, though, but ultimately determined that if my painting used shades of blue it would look more like a howl of sadness than a roar of fury... and thus the need to fulfill the primary category won over.
Hate to break it to you, but "blue" wasn't a "well, it would be nice if you had it in" prompt; it was an actual prompt. If your piece doesn't utilize blue in some way points will be deducted.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Dammit Virg! :mad:

I should be dpne this time, whoo. Although I messed up an angle baaaaad so dont expect it to be that great. Gotta add my blue now.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Also MLE, I think if people want it, you can post critiques. I'll just ask that they be done after all the entries are posted so that it doesn't get too cluttered back here.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Hate to break it to you, but "blue" wasn't a "well, it would be nice if you had it in" prompt; it was an actual prompt. If your piece doesn't utilize blue in some way points will be deducted.
I present my new and final submission, created over the last 4-5 hours, made in the style of my previous entries but painted specifically for this contest and its theme of anger. I acknowledge that I chose not to utilize any blue in this picture, and accept any point penalties that come of it.

Cheers!
The OP wasn't completely clear, but it looks like we were on the same page anyways.

I'm also detecting some animosity from you which I suspect was related to my earlier submission candidates. Regardless, I think this is rather unfounded considering how quick I was to accept that I wasn't within the guidelines, remove my candidates, and make a new one. I have the best of intentions and am conducting things in a friendly and professional manner.

If I read between the lines too much, forgive me.
:p

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
This is why I feel I shouldn't enter this contest. I can't convey anger with the color blue. If blue is required, I just can't do it. Chalk it up to lack of creativity. I have even spoke to several people. The best that was though of was "speaking 'till your face turned blue."

Maybe next time for me.

EDIT: Balls.I just wasted my 2.000 post.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Can't wait to see your finished piece, Chaco. Looks pretty hardcore so far.

I'm torn about submitting my piece. It's basically finished...but idk if im really happy with it...but i want to stop editting to avoid completely ruining it (luckily, digital art is easy to correct...but still)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Just submit a random pic and we'll give you zero points for it. Unless you want to be permabanned, of course. :bee:
lol if things get desperate I might do.

I'm quietly confident I can get something done.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Decided to go with this one. Here's my entry!

[I got no title]

[collapse="Big page stretcher"]
[/collapse]

I took a picture of my room and cluttered a few of my stuff up, to make it look like how it will appear if someone was to rage in anger in their room. Destroying their belongings (golf club), throwing stuff around (clothing and lamp) and not listening to others (broken phone). To keep it in theme, I edited the picture in photoshop making it all dark and blue and messed around with some effects till it seemed fine to me. The picture was taken at night or the lighting would've looked odd (to me anyway).

I would've put myself in there but I don't have anyone to take a picture for me (and no tripod) so I just made do with that. *

*If I'm not supposed to spell out my prompt like this, I'll take those info out.

Thanks!

==========

Here's the original picture (resized) - http://i43.tinypic.com/2i8vfw9.png
WIP - http://i41.tinypic.com/r0widw.png
WIP (showing my hand) - http://i43.tinypic.com/24qledu.png

The WIPs were taken during the day.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I wouldn't have known what it was supposed to be, if I hadn't read your post beneath it. The angle made it hard for me to see what it was.
Now that I get it, it's really nice =D

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
I wasn't intending to have the camera angle like that but I couldn't fit everything in so I tilted it lol. Thanks Guus!

Good luck Today, plenty of time.

edit: Looks awesome Zio :) not sure if it's me or if I can actually spot an angry face in the middle lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Can't wait to see your finished piece, Chaco. Looks pretty hardcore so far.
I dunno if I'm going to be able to do the words like I want though, and get it done. The focal point itself is completely done now, I left it at school today cause I had other work to do. But heh, 3 days, I believe I can manage.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
****.... I really have like only one day to work on this..... And I haven't even started...... But I really want that orange name too.........

Question: If, as an example, I wanted to include an image of Bowser to be the focus of my entry, is it legal for me to get that off of Google Images (not fan art, but a Nintendo game's official artowrk)?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I dunno if I'm going to be able to do the words like I want though, and get it done. The focal point itself is completely done now, I left it at school today cause I had other work to do. But heh, 3 days, I believe I can manage.
That sucks. But still, it'll turn out awesometastic
Good luck!!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
DOUBLE POST
But i have my reasons...

Torrential Finished

Media used: Paint Tool SAI for lines, coloring, most of the pic...
Photoshop CS3 for minor adjustments
Okayyyy. So I'm not the best explainer...but bear with me.
So when i saw the blue, i thought 'oh crap. this might be a tad bit tougher than i wouldve hoped...' So, instead of RAGE anger, i decided to go with a more 'cold' anger. Instead of fire and rage, i went with torrential water. So, the first part drawn was the prelim sketch, then the water in the background. After about 2 hours of drawing water, i went through numerous edits with the sketch of the girl (around 4 different 'skeletons' before i reached the final idea). I wanted to make her flow well with the background, so matching colors and whatnot. After fixing everything i needed to in SAI, i imported the file to CS3 and editted the wave with more 'ripples', sharpened parts of the wave, changed the shading around a bit, and added some shading to the background. And added a sky blue filter to give it a more underwatery feel.

Proofs:
Proof 1
Proof 2

Spire

III
BRoomer
****.... I really have like only one day to work on this..... And I haven't even started...... But I really want that orange name too.........

Question: If, as an example, I wanted to include an image of Bowser to be the focus of my entry, is it legal for me to get that off of Google Images (not fan art, but a Nintendo game's official artowrk)?
Hmm. I'm not sure what Livvers and Virg's views are on this (as they are more familiar with the rules than I), but I would say that this is a type of plagiarism. Even though you would be editing the image, you're still using the work of another. Take for example: simply copying another's essay is blatant plagiarism, but copying even a sentence from that essay without properly citing the source is also plagiarism. So now it's a question of whether or not citing is allowed in this contest. Since you've already cited the source and since we would easily be able to identify the image as Nintendo-born regardless, it's as if we're just letting you use 'that sentence' for free. I would much rather you redraw, paint, or what have you the image rather than using its raw properties to your advantage, but if you can manage to show enough original integral work in the piece aside from it so that as a whole, the piece bears individuality (apart from Nintendo's stock image), then it's passable.

Again though, Livvers and Virg's words are stronger than mine.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Hmm. I'm not sure what Livvers and Virg's views are on this (as they are more familiar with the rules than I), but I would say that this is a type of plagiarism. Even though you would be editing the image, you're still using the work of another. Take for example: simply copying another's essay is blatant plagiarism, but copying even a sentence from that essay without properly citing the source is also plagiarism. So now it's a question of whether or not citing is allowed in this contest. Since you've already cited the source and since we would easily be able to identify the image as Nintendo-born regardless, it's as if we're just letting you use 'that sentence' for free. I would much rather you redraw, paint, or what have you the image rather than using its raw properties to your advantage, but if you can manage to show enough original integral work in the piece aside from it so that as a whole, the piece bears individuality (apart from Nintendo's stock image), then it's passable.

Again though, Livvers and Virg's words are stronger than mine.
Okay, thanks.

Guess I'll edit this post if I finish anything for this.

Nah. I just can't think of an idea I like, and I'm out of time anyways. Maybe next time.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
The OP wasn't completely clear, but it looks like we were on the same page anyways.
We are incorporating two different themes to spice things up a bit, so make sure you have both of them in your submission!
Aside from the Art With Your Power title, that is the first line in the OP =)

Great entries so far, guys!

Sorry to put your image behind a link, Zio, but it was stretching the page.

Top Bottom