• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That stuff sounds nice. Too bad my parents would probably fuss me out over taking it.
Dude, Creatine is manufactured in your body naturally and is essential in ATP manufacture, this is just a supplement to boost levels. Just explain that.

Whey protein is well... protein from whey. Whey is the liquid component that's filtered off when you make cheese, natural source!

Casein, I dunno where it comes from actually haha, but it's a protein so honestly I don't see it being so bad. Just try to explain it to them. :D

Also dude just drink Gatorade or something instead of that phony chocolate lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not a fan of creatine...don't really feel like investing money into something that I can try and obtain through sheer will power.

Anyways, someone mind rating my Protein Shake? I was wondering if I could possibly tinker with it to make it better by any means.

8 oz water
1 cup of plain oatmeal (I cook it first, dump it into the blender with the water, blend that first before adding anything else)
1 banana
2 Tbsp of peanut butter
1 scoop of ON Whey Protein

All in all, it adds up to 600 some calories. I forgot the exact data, but I do get roughly 40+ grams of protein and 50+ grams of carbs.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No I haven't. From what I understand, it's simply there to make you more explosive in your workouts. It's something I'd rather not have in aiding my workouts, because if I were to stop using creatine, then production may naturally go down. I'd rather stick to my normal body functions. It may result in having a bad workout day every now and then, but I'll take it.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
No I haven't. From what I understand, it's simply there to make you more explosive in your workouts. It's something I'd rather not have in aiding my workouts, because if I were to stop using creatine, then production may naturally go down. I'd rather stick to my normal body functions. It may result in having a bad workout day every now and then, but I'll take it.
absolutely no truth to that statement.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well care to enlighten me then? I just took Teran's statement and figured to put A+B together. If I stop taking creatine, then my explosiveness would go down. Like I said, I really don't have much knowledge on creatine to begin with.

Attila_

BRoomer
creatine isn't a hormone like steroids are, it's easiest to think of as a fuel for you ATP-CP system (the energy system used for short term bursts). you're still always gonna need fuel, and by taking creatine, you're basically making sure your stores are completely full. it does do other things, which im not going into right now, but yeah, you get the gist of it.

hormones are the stuff that screws with your body, and will alter how much your body produces. creatine is a fuel, not a hormone.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Not a fan of creatine...don't really feel like investing money into something that I can try and obtain through sheer will power.
You cannot synthesise ATP via sheer willpower.

It's not a thing that can be mentally overcome, it's literally an increase in energy supply for your muscles to do more work.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
creatine isn't a hormone like steroids are, it's easiest to think of as a fuel for you ATP-CP system (the energy system used for short term bursts). you're still always gonna need fuel, and by taking creatine, you're basically making sure your stores are completely full. it does do other things, which im not going into right now, but yeah, you get the gist of it.

hormones are the stuff that screws with your body, and will alter how much your body produces. creatine is a fuel, not a hormone.
Okay yea, I know it's not a steroid, and I see what you're saying. My question is though. Say for a guy who is used to taking creatine for his workouts...say he does it for 3-5 months. What happens when he stops taking it due to whatever reason (money, just wants to stop, etc.)? Does his production go down a bit? From what I understand, you lose some weight (water weight?) and you might see some decrease in strength.

Edit: My friend showed me these two workout programs that I should try incorporating or starting to help me get back to where I was. Currently, my goal is to restore the mass I lost over the past month, and add some more. Then just build on strength. Take a look.

http://www.fiftypullups.com/
http://hundredpushups.com/index.html
http://www.marklauren.com/index.html

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The one hundred pushup program is the only thing I did for two months and it gave me huge boosts in back muscle and tricep muscle. AKA do it.
So what about other parts of your body? Push ups should also help with your chest, but what about legs, biceps, etc?

Right now my goal is to put on some mass, so would you recommend this program, or is this more suited for strength training?

Edit: At the same time, I don't want to leave my legs behind. I see they have a 200 Squat program but I was wondering if you can do both at the same time or be left feeling way too burnt out.

Attila_

BRoomer
Okay yea, I know it's not a steroid, and I see what you're saying. My question is though. Say for a guy who is used to taking creatine for his workouts...say he does it for 3-5 months. What happens when he stops taking it due to whatever reason (money, just wants to stop, etc.)? Does his production go down a bit? From what I understand, you lose some weight (water weight?) and you might see some decrease in strength.
you would lose water weight, and you would lose the physiological ability to push as hard, however, that's something you wouldn't have had anyway. in other words, you wouldn't lose anything that creatine didn't give you, and you'd be able to work harder and become stronger all of those months you were on it. i also don't see a reason why your strength would decrease.

@whoever said it: i'm unsure who pushups make your back stronger. scapula control to a certain extent, but back? i don't think so.

Omis

my friends were skinny
Pushups arent really going to do anything about your legs. Do some box jumps if you want a good leg workout.
I have genetic issues with growing my chest so I cant comment on whether the pushups helped or not.
Biceps saw some growth but not a huge amount. The pullup program will help with that.

I heavily recommend the programs.

M.K

Level 55
Okay, hmm, question.

Went to the gym today. 35 minutes on the elliptical to start out.

I'm sweating, drenched actually, and I can definitely feel my heart beating, but somehow, I'm not actually breathing heavily, nor do I feel the need to breathe heavily...

Therefore, I guess my question would be, what's a more reliable indicator of the quality of a workout: Heavy breathing and fatigue, or sweat loss? I know sweat is water weight and may be lost to heat, but if the machine tells me I'm burning 380 calories, shouldn't I feel SOMETHING?

daballa100

Smash Cadet
for the creatine part:

Creatine is a supplement that simply increases amounts of phosphorous in your body as well as promotes cell hydration. Extra phosphorous helps you produce more ATP in the body, because when ATP is used, one atom of phosphorous is lost (turns into ADP) and this phosphorous instead replaces it. Cell Hydration is simply extra water being stored within the cells of your muscle fibers, which aids in protein synthesis.

There is no reason why you can't take creatine other than if you have kidney problems, diabetes, or you've taken it for a while and it's lost it's potency on training. Creatine simply helps improve work capacity and muscle building so it's not like you'll lose everything once you've taken it, you just won't get that same training boost. However, if you're not looking to gain weight, don't take creatine, because you gain weight on creatine, both water weight and muscle.

Push-ups:

Your Pecs won't get any bigger really, so you won't really pack on mass, because if you can do more than 20 push ups, it's pretty much like endurance training for you upperbody. If you want to pack on mass, and/or get stronger, I would do push-up progressions that are harder than the standard push up, so you can't do as many reps.

This site has lots of good progressions you can do at home if you don't have a gym membership. Just click on the links on easier or harder.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BWPushup.html

As for legs, Box jumps depending on how you do them, will do 1 of 2 things, Increase explosiveness or increase explosiveness endurance. If you do reps of over 10 you're prob. working explosive endurance, and under eight will help your explosiveness, You will not pack on mass for your legs with this. Best thing to do would probably be to learn how to do pistol squats.

Hope this helps.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If your goal is to burn fat in terms of getting it down to low percentages to get a six pack, then you need to up the heart rate and do interval training. Basically going all out for a short time, and walking/jogging for a minute or so. However, if your goal is to simply lose some weight, I think that's fine. No harm in upping the tempo.

Attila_

BRoomer
Okay, hmm, question.

Went to the gym today. 35 minutes on the elliptical to start out.

I'm sweating, drenched actually, and I can definitely feel my heart beating, but somehow, I'm not actually breathing heavily, nor do I feel the need to breathe heavily...

Therefore, I guess my question would be, what's a more reliable indicator of the quality of a workout: Heavy breathing and fatigue, or sweat loss? I know sweat is water weight and may be lost to heat, but if the machine tells me I'm burning 380 calories, shouldn't I feel SOMETHING?
a couple of answers.

heavy breathing tells you that you're breathing hard, sweat loss tells you you've got the heater on, but fatigue can be a good indicator. muscle soreness is also another great one. closely followed by dizziness and vomiting lol

if the machine tells you 380, its only guessing. it doesnt really know. unless you're using a HR monitor, that is.

M.K

Level 55
It has heart rate monitors built into the handles, but I'm a special case...so I don't exactly pay attention to them.

I hit an average of 154, but I can go all the way up to 170 BPM.

Yeah I know it's high, it sounds like I'm working hard....but I think my heart is just in overdrive. O-o

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, a 2 month surgery kept me from weightlifting. I lost most of my muscle mass and fat(20 pounds total), so now that I can get back to the gym I'm gonna lift hard and just tighten my diet.

Most of my exercises are gonna be around 5-6 sets, while being explosive on every rep(low reps too).

Only supps I ever take are whey, some dextrose pre-workout, and BCAA.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yea, this was my first "hardcore" workout of my three dif routines after a month of fasting. Stomach was definitely feeling like it wanted to hurl while feeling out of breath. Though I hung tough and feel great now.

Attila_

BRoomer
It has heart rate monitors built into the handles, but I'm a special case...so I don't exactly pay attention to them.

I hit an average of 154, but I can go all the way up to 170 BPM.

Yeah I know it's high, it sounds like I'm working hard....but I think my heart is just in overdrive. O-o
170 really isn't that high... you can push harder than that. unless you're actually 50 years old <3 during a track session, i'll hold average 175-180 for an hour, with a max of over 200. push a bit more ;)

unless you're holding the handles the entire time, you can't ask the machine to track you properly. and losing 380cal in 30 minutes sounds way more extreme than your hr suggests, anyway.

Ugh, a 2 month surgery kept me from weightlifting. I lost most of my muscle mass and fat(20 pounds total), so now that I can get back to the gym I'm gonna lift hard and just tighten my diet.

Most of my exercises are gonna be around 5-6 sets, while being explosive on every rep(low reps too).

Only supps I ever take are whey, some dextrose pre-workout, and BCAA.
interesting choice of supps, care to enlighten as to why?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Ok, so I read shmots beginners workout when I first started and he suggested working out 4 days a week and then resting every other day until your body gets used to the excercise. This was great because when I first started I felt sore the next door and needed that day to recover. But I don't feel this way anymore. Is it ok for me to start increasing the days I work out and decreasing the amount of days I rest? Would 5 to 6 days of working out and 1 to 2 days of rest be ok? Or do I need to stick to 4 days of workout and 4 days of rest?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Shmot can explain the science behind it, but I do know that just because your body isn't sore, doesn't mean you're not getting a good workout. Your body may be getting used to the routines you are doing, so it can be recommended to change things up (rep count, types of exercise, exercise order, etc). Training 5 times a week is too much for your body and is gonna leave your body burned out after going at it for 2 weeks. Also, just because you aren't sore doesn't mean your body doesn't need that extra day to recover. Take that day off to eat well and give your body the proper nutrients it needs.

Attila_

BRoomer
Ok, so I read shmots beginners workout when I first started and he suggested working out 4 days a week and then resting every other day until your body gets used to the excercise. This was great because when I first started I felt sore the next door and needed that day to recover. But I don't feel this way anymore. Is it ok for me to start increasing the days I work out and decreasing the amount of days I rest? Would 5 to 6 days of working out and 1 to 2 days of rest be ok? Or do I need to stick to 4 days of workout and 4 days of rest?
sure.

at first, i always tell people not to push so hard, both to allow them to recover, and so that they don't go too crazy and get burned out. that being said, once you've established yourself, you're more than welcome to work out two days in a row. provided you don't exercise the same body part for 48 hours, it works out fine. this means that if you do 'back' on monday, you can't do biceps until wednesday, because they too would be burned out from monday still. create a nice split that doesnt double up, and you'll be just fine.

Shmot can explain the science behind it, but I do know that just because your body isn't sore, doesn't mean you're not getting a good workout. Your body may be getting used to the routines you are doing, so it can be recommended to change things up (rep count, types of exercise, exercise order, etc). Training 5 times a week is too much for your body and is gonna leave your body burned out after going at it for 2 weeks. Also, just because you aren't sore doesn't mean your body doesn't need that extra day to recover. Take that day off to eat well and give your body the proper nutrients it needs.
the science behind working hard and not getting sore? if you're limiting factor in the workout is cardio or lactic acid related, the muscles themselves aren't getting the same level of sarcomere interaction as if the workout was muscle based, which means that you won't feel as sore. alternatively, i think the sarcomeres adapt over time, the myosin heads get more resistant to pulling, or something, which would make you not get as sore if you're fit. dunno about that second one though.

training 5 times a week isn't too much for your body. in fact, it's not even close. have you ever seen a professional sportsman or bodybuilder? ask how many times a week they train...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
sure.

training 5 times a week isn't too much for your body. in fact, it's not even close. have you ever seen a professional sportsman or bodybuilder? ask how many times a week they train...
Of course I know. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for pro athletes to have 2 a day camps, and regimes. Of course, I was just assuming that he was average in terms of working out considering he was doing your beginner's workout. At his level, he will get burned out going 5 times a week, especially if his workouts are rather extreme. I have not read your beginner's workout to every detail, so I wouldn't know how much you push people in terms of sets, rest rate, length of workout, etc.

Personally, I was pretty burnt out after my July Madness. I had a basketball tourny game every other day, reffed on off days while also lifting weights. Played heavy minutes to boot. Pretty much, I was feeling burned out at the end of the month. A solid week of rest was definitely needed afterwards.

Edit: hey Shmot, where did you learn and pick up on all this research? Something you majored in at college?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It's been a month, progress pic! I consider this my starting point.

I'm at 140 lbs now, +10 from spring semester. Aiming for at least 150. Think I'm 5 feet, 10 inches.

Regiment
Mon: Chest/Arms/Shoulders
Tue: Abs
Wed: Legs
Thu: Abs
Fri: Chest/Arms/Shoulders
1:30 each night, starting at 9PM.

Additionally, Mon, Wed, Fri:
http://www.fiftypullups.com/ (Start: Level 3)
http://hundredpushups.com/index.html (Start: Week 3, Column 2)

Also:
Trying to manage 10,000 steps on my Pokewalker everyday. :D
Which normally means getting in 2 miles on the track everyday.
I'm also trying to stick in a set of squats everyday.

Supps
Body Fortress Creatine before
EAS Whey Protein after

Diet
No strict diet, just main idea of "eat healthy", avoid eating out and snacking, and skipping desert unless it's really good/pie.
Completely avoiding soda.
Starting with a salad at lunch and dinner.
Eating MORE HAAAARRRGGGGG.

This is what happens when you accidentally end up in the Health & Wellness themed dorm.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Meno looking mad pro.

Hey btw I would recommend doing abs every day purely because the muscles heal super fast, so you might as well get all the work you can get out of them.

Attila_

BRoomer
Edit: hey Shmot, where did you learn and pick up on all this research? Something you majored in at college?
i'm studying physiotherapy now, which is where my biomechanical stuff comes from. but doing that means i have subscriptions to hundreds of journals and studies online, which means i can do my own research into things im interested in.

Note to self: Never take caffeine supplements on an empty stomach. I feel god awful right now.
a fast way to a peptic ulcer, my friend.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Note to self: Never take caffeine supplements on an empty stomach. I feel god awful right now.
Caffeine is a stomach irritant.

Bad bad Omis.

Or you could learn to get used to it. :3

Top Bottom