• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Jesus Christ that's like 4 cans of Monster, I mean the big ones.

I'm surprised you didn't get the jitters. o__O

Omis

my friends were skinny
I did but that was only after I finished chugging down this nasty tasting thing. Ive spent almost the entire day feeling like Im on the verge of vomiting buckets.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You should drink water to help process it faster and flush it out your system.

My bro bought a bucket of whey protein and it tastes like chocolate pudding. :3

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
omg . . . yesterday i just said f it and went to the gym. Tried to bench db with left arm only and I could tell it was gonna wreck my back if I used any real weight at all. So I just did legs, core, and some upper body machines with 1 arm. Did 1hand pullups with 55 assist.. not bad for a 190lb fatty cripple like me :cool: i need to vent tho. In my first day back at the gym in like 4 months I saw the following:

1. some guy curling in the squat cage.
dude the squat cages are for squats and bench and real lifts. they are for ppl who need to move hundreds of pounds at a time with something to rack the weight on when they done, or something to catch it if they fail. its not for bro piece of trash to put 10'ers on each side of the bar and ****ing curl it. there are 3 sets of 10-150lb free weights and like 30 bent bars (2 of which are on preacher benches) get out of the ****ing squat cage ******. this is not a newbie mistake the guy was big enough to know better and apparently just wanted to look hardcore curling an oly bar. get lost, seriously

2. two guys trading off unassisted pullups on the only unassisted pullups station
first off eat a ****. i have one hand and need to do assisted pullups and theese two douches were takin up the only station. not only that but EVERY SQUAT CAGE IN THE ENTIRE GYM HAS A PULLUP BAR OUTSIDE OF IT. wtf. i went and did other stuff for a while and like 5 minutes later they were still trading off. asked if i could sneak a set in and they looked at me like i was a douchebag. die pricks

3. some guy doing weighted pullups on the assist station with db's
ok not technically an etiquette issue and i know some ppl like to do weighteds with a db between their legs which is cool. but this guy had a CHAIN ON and instead of looping some plates thru the chain like every normal human being he wrapped the chain AROUND THE DB. what. the. ****,. and, again, taking up the only assist station like a *****.

was pretty cool to wake up today and feel sore even though it was just my left side lmao. shmot youre the smart dude what do you think about workin out just my left arm. dont tell me ill be imbalanced cause lets be honest im gonna be imbalanced no matter what.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I really wouldn't recommend bulking up one side while the other is weakening, it'll really ruin a whole host of workouts with one side of your body lagging behind significantly.

Like say you're doing curls, it'll be really stupid if you only get like 6 reps on one arm but can do 10 with the other, with 10 being your goal.

But that's just me.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
well im not trying to get my left arm ripped i just want to stay in shape. and like i said my right arm is going to have to catch up a lot no matter what. but if the imbalance is really that bad, or if itll take recovery away from my wrist, then ill just stick to legs (or nothing at all? :( )

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
omg . . . yesterday i just said f it and went to the gym. Tried to bench db with left arm only and I could tell it was gonna wreck my back if I used any real weight at all. So I just did legs, core, and some upper body machines with 1 arm. Did 1hand pullups with 55 assist.. not bad for a 190lb fatty cripple like me :cool: i need to vent tho. In my first day back at the gym in like 4 months I saw the following:

this is my most hated thing in the gym. that being said, i have no issue with telling guys doing it to gtfo. id recommend you do the same ;)

i'd avoid upper body until you can do it with both arms. you'll seriously mess with your posture and stuff, so i don't think it's worth it. just my opinion.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.

dude the squat cages are for squats and bench and real lifts. they are for ppl who need to move hundreds of pounds at a time with something to rack the weight on when they done, or something to catch it if they fail. its not for bro piece of trash to put 10'ers on each side of the bar and ****ing curl it. there are 3 sets of 10-150lb free weights and like 30 bent bars (2 of which are on preacher benches) get out of the ****ing squat cage ******. this is not a newbie mistake the guy was big enough to know better and apparently just wanted to look hardcore curling an oly bar. get lost, seriously

2. two guys trading off unassisted pullups on the only unassisted pullups station
first off eat a ****. i have one hand and need to do assisted pullups and theese two douches were takin up the only station. not only that but EVERY SQUAT CAGE IN THE ENTIRE GYM HAS A PULLUP BAR OUTSIDE OF IT. wtf. i went and did other stuff for a while and like 5 minutes later they were still trading off. asked if i could sneak a set in and they looked at me like i was a douchebag. die pricks

3. some guy doing weighted pullups on the assist station with db's
ok not technically an etiquette issue and i know some ppl like to do weighteds with a db between their legs which is cool. but this guy had a CHAIN ON and instead of looping some plates thru the chain like every normal human being he wrapped the chain AROUND THE DB. what. the. ****,. and, again, taking up the only assist station like a *****.

was pretty cool to wake up today and feel sore even though it was just my left side lmao. shmot youre the smart dude what do you think about workin out just my left arm. dont tell me ill be imbalanced cause lets be honest im gonna be imbalanced no matter what.
Lolol I lost at the first one. Yeah I know what you mean. Not too many douchebags around here, though a lot of the men tend to try to lift excessive amounts of weight in order to impress the ladies around here.

The ladies are rather unimpressed by the massive squirming caterpillar that got flipped on its back as it attempts to bench something much larger than itself... Lol.

Glad to see you're feeling better! Check what I have to say below though.

this is my most hated thing in the gym. that being said, i have no issue with telling guys doing it to gtfo. id recommend you do the same ;)

i'd avoid upper body until you can do it with both arms. you'll seriously mess with your posture and stuff, so i don't think it's worth it. just my opinion.
With shmot on this one. I know it can be hard once you start loving it, but sometimes you just need to give it a rest xD. Recover and then come back 100% later!

All in all though your progress was astounding haha.

D

Deleted member

So I basically haven't gone to the gym for a while now and I went back last friday. needless to say I was more out of shape than expected.
Do you guys have any tips on how to get back in shape without murdering myself in the gym?

M.K

Level 55
So my 2 week Fall Break starts this Friday and I plan to go to the gym almost every day.
Please hold me to this promise. Post on my VM and everything!! I really need to do it >_>;;

GOD!

Smash Ace
So I basically haven't gone to the gym for a while now and I went back last friday. needless to say I was more out of shape than expected.
Do you guys have any tips on how to get back in shape without murdering myself in the gym?
Don't cheat on your diet. After you've gone awhile without working out and you head back into the gym, you start thinking you can start eating whatever you want, and your body starts really craving high sugar foods like crazy.

Don't give in and you won't have to kill yourself to make progress.

I know what it's like to come back after an injury and feel out of shape :urg:. But once you make it into a habit of eating the right foods (leaner meats, a lot of bread, and of course you splurge a couple times a week), it becomes unnatural to always head for sodas and ice cream.

Also compliment yourself on what you did well in your work out. Don't let your losses get you down, just see them as you having a bad day. Look at your weakness as an opportunity for improvement.

That's all I got.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well this is lame, had a good last week of working out, but tests on Tues, Wed, and Thurs had kinda delayed any kind of extra activities I have going on for now to make sure I get my grades...meh. Guess I'll take time to construct/ have my current routine rated...What do you guys think of this?

3x a week routine...(though I usually only take every other day off)

Mon:
Dumbbell Flat Bench: 3x10 of same weight (2 warm up sets with lighter weight)
Overhead Press: 3x8 of same weight
Lateral Dumbbell Raise: 3x8 of same weight
Incline barbell: 3x8 of same weight
Dips: 3x8 body weight

Wed:
Deadlift: 4x8 of same weight (warm up on treadmill and lighter sets)
Bent over barbell: 3x8 of same weight
Lat Pull: 3x8
Low Row: 3x8
Preacher Curls: 3x8

Fri:
Squat: 4x12 (lighter sets done for warm ups + treadmill)
Lunges: 4x8
Leg Press: 3x8
Calf Raises: 3x12
Box Jump: 3x10

Rest between sets is 45 seconds to minute. Rest between exercises is 2-3 minutes. Workouts usually last 40-50 minutes. Goal right now is to regain mass lost during fasting while still getting stronger.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I was thinking the same thing.....bee pollen is a rare one.

Joining up for a pool membership today!

Gotta get that tone man!

How often would you recommend swimming so that I don't go overboard and wreck myself?

Attila_

BRoomer
bee pollen is the shizz...

Taken from: Bee pollen: Top rank antioxidant
Lyle Hurd. Total Health. Woodland Hills: Nov/Dec 2002. Vol. 24, Iss. 5; pg. 40, 3 pgs

"Bee pollen is packed with many different nutrients: amino acids, antibiotic factors, DNA/RNA, enzymes, glucosides, hormones, minerals, vitamins and other ingredients not determined yet.

Amino Acids/Protein. There are 22 amino acids in bee pollen, including all of the essential ones in highly concentrated amounts, making it an extremely usable and complete protein. Weight for weight it is higher in protein than steak, eggs or cheese, without large amounts of fat.

Antioxidants. Being rich in phytochemicals, including flavonoids, carotenes and phytosterols, bee pollen provides a host of important antioxidants including lycopene, selenium, quercetin and beta carotene.

Antibiotic Factors. Bee pollen has the capacity to regulate intestinal bacteria, thereby neutralizing toxic wastes and improving blood health.

DNA/RNA (or deoxyribonucleic acid and ribonucleic acid) carries the genetic coding of the plants from which the bees found it. It is found in pollen since pollen is the part of the plant responsible for reproduction.

Enzymes. Rich in enzymes, pollen therefore promotes improved metabolism and digestion. It contains 18 different enzymes including amylase, diastase, phosphatase, pepsin and trypsin. Enzymes are necessary for all bodily functions and because bee pollen is such a rich source, it greatly assists the body.

Glucosides are natural sugars that are involved in the creation of energy in the body. One main glucoside is rutin, which is important for its ability to help capillary walls resist infection, improve heart function and respiration, promote better healing and coagulation and control hypertension by regulating blood flow.

Hormones. Pollen contains plant hormones that activate and assist the body's own endocrine glands to allow them to function better. This is especially true for men since it can also lead to an increased sperm count.

Minerals. There are 27 different minerals in pollen including calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium as well as: boron, chlorine, copper, iodine, molybdenum, phosphorus, selenium, silicon, sodium, sulfur, titanium and zinc.

Vitamins. All known vitamins, from A to K, are found in concentrated amounts in bee pollen. They are provitamin A, B, (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (group pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), B12 (cyanocobalamin), biotin, choline, inositol, vitamins C, D, E, K and rutin.

Bee pollen even contains vitamin B12, which is rarely found in plants or their products. It is essential for metabolism of fat, carbohydrates and protein, as well as blood cell and bone marrow formation and for healthy skin and nervous system. With all the other vitamins present, it therefore makes an excellent addition to the diet to ensure healthy functioning of all bodily processes."

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So luckily I actually understand all that. (yay science)

Pretty impressed with the nutritional content. I was just surprised when you listed it because I never really hear about people taking it as a supplement, but then again most people are just about roids and protein shakes while doing only benchpresses, bicep curls, and situps.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Meno looking mad pro.

Hey btw I would recommend doing abs every day purely because the muscles heal super fast, so you might as well get all the work you can get out of them.
Man, is this true, because when I do abs (crunches mostly), I still feel them the next day.

Does it matter if you still feel them a bit the next day?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well I guess it's not a problem if you feel it the next day, but I used to play football on teams and swim, so my abs are generally pretty used to being pushed really hard.

If I'm on a workout schedule, I'll do medicine ball situps, crunches, leg raises and other exercises and be fine by the next day if not earlier (same with my brother).

Work at whatever pace you think is right though, it's just in my general experience abs recover extremely quickly, and do for pretty much everyone I know that works out.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
K, so I'm taking the advice to heart, and considering my abs haven't been popping as much as I'd like: I'll be doing abs and squats everyday before. Switching my schedule around now that abs won't be day-specific.

Mon: Arms - Tues: Chest - Wed: Legs - Thu: Chest - Fri: Arms

Bee pollen: it contains every nutrient known to man.
How do you take pollen? What does it even look like?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie, that does look like a grandma thing lmao. Anyways, how much does this cost? Looks expensive.

Edit: Nvm, 1 lb of that stuff is 15 bucks + shipping.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Well, I've been trying to work out some lately and this is my current workout.

1 set of pushups 15-20
1 set of situps 25-30
100 jumping jacks
5 minutes of TaeBo (Lol TaeBo is amazing, don't hate.)

I pretty much eat whatever I want, I'm very skinny.

Tips?

Attila_

BRoomer
if your grandmother took it, she'd be a beast. trust me.

and its real cheap actually; like $20 for something that will last about 6 months.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to have any of this given my allergies to pollen, dust, and the mystery ingredient in Vaseline for Men.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Pushups and situps only do so much.

1. Don't do situps, do crunches, you can figure out how they work somewhere.

2. Pushups are great, do those.

3. Do pullups, if you can. Wherever you can grab and pull up, go for it, because pullups are the best upper body excercise.

You're saying you'll eat whatever, but I don't really suggest doing that. Eat carbs a lot, and not that much fat.

I have no idea how physically strong you are, but by the sound of it, your schedule can be a bit heavier. Don't work out everyday, give your muscles time to heal and grow.

Look for some specific muscle workouts if you want to work on them (curls for biceps, fly's for pecs, etc).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey Shmot, I've always seen some people have some kind of drink or shake with them. Do you know what's usually in it? I don't think it's a standard protein shake...so I was probably guessing around something that helps you with your workouts.

Also, what's your take on drinking a protein shake while working out? I'm rather curious to know if that will be any different than drinking it right after or a while after the workout.

Attila_

BRoomer
slightly vague question. it could be lots of things.

a few things that do help you during workouts include: BCAAs, beta alanine, lysine and arginine. quite a few companies have manufactured intra-workout supps that revolve around these and a few more, aiming to speed up recovery during sets. there is a fair bit of anecdotal evidence supporting them, although i've never researched them personally.

one supplement that is real popular is: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/purple.html

in regards to protein during a workout... i don't understand why you would. physiologically, there isn't really anything that it would do you help you lift more. it might bloat you though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So I was reading a workout magazine over the Summer (forgot what it's called), and it had Ron Artest on the cover (NBA player who is known for doing some crazy things and being a gym rat). Reading his article, he mentioned how he never drinks gatorade during games to "replenish". Instead, he opts for oranges. I forgot his reasons, but I personally have never tried it. Honestly, I can't imagine myself eating oranges during a game, sitting on the bench, getting my hands sticky and what not. If anything, I would need a juicer and make it before the game...still though, I would love to try it out. Must take a lot of oranges though.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
It's almost been a month since I started this! :o Time seems to pass so quickly. I'm going to switch to ON for the next month but I have no idea what I'm going to do to switch up my workout.

Also, I got my first 'have you been working out?' compliment! :D

Top Bottom