• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSD Winter Gamefest VIII

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I explained it to Eddie Mexico like this. My computer 'can' record, but it needs to have someone name the set, start the recording, and stop the recording. So if you didn't do that, then it wasn't recorded. (I used to record for 20 hours at a time or whatever, but as you can guess, I found that was a stupid idea because that had me sitting there forever splitting things, naming things, guessing who people were in the video when they didn't use tags, etc.)

Dark_Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Oh man, I had a blast at this tournament. It's been forever since I had played, and playing a bunch of people I had never even met before was so much fun. After pools I went 0-2, but that was fine, I learned a lot from those loses and am much better and have seen great improvement in my game against the people I play in Boston.

Shout outs:

****Chang : Some awesome friendless. I will never forget how stunned you were when I caught that stitch face at point blank range. Those matches were some of the funnest I played and overall had a great time playing with you.

Jun : Glad I got to play you. You have such a different style of plan that I have seen back home. Incredibly patient especially for a marth player. Thanks for the matches

Okami: I only got to play you a few times. Thanks for the matches, if i am ever around the area again I'd like to give your shiek another go.

Random Asian kid with an earring : I have no idea who you are, but our friendly match really defined my whole experience and helped me better my game. You were basically yelling at me the whole match and yelling "Dude wtf, where is your spacing?!" and proceeded to punish me 3 times for the exact same thing. Somehow this made something click in a way it didn't before. I played much better in every other match after our match. Thanks!

3 Random UCSD students: I know they probably wont find this, but these kids were great. It was the first TV I sat down at and they were all amazed with my skill. To the point we started doing 3 v 1 matches. The thing that really meant a lot though, was that they let me trade my controller with one of theirs. I bought one of amazon since I wasn't from the area, and it wasn't doing it for me. They let me try out their controllers and I found one I could play very well with and let me trade with them for it. This was key as for some reason i wasn't able to wavedash properly from the one I got off amazon. Thanks guys.

Everyone else: Thanks for having this great tournament in the San Diego area! It really was one of the biggest highlights from my trip out there. If any of you are in the Boston area, feel free to shoot me a PM here. I play often with KoreanDJ and would be happy to have any of you over for a smashfest in Boston.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
****Chang : Some awesome friendless. I will never forget how stunned you were when I caught that stitch face at point blank range. Those matches were some of the funnest I played and overall had a great time playing with you.
Ditto.

I went 0-2 after pools as well. I've got some thinking to do before evo.

Edit: I'm still disappointed that my name gets censored.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Okami vs Fist
Zio vs Lots

So who was 9th and 13th?

I'll start figuring out the whole placings...
1: Westballz
2: Eddie Mexico
3: Little Fumi
4: Bimbo Mexico
5: Stabbedbyanipple
5: Rickety
7: OkamiBW
7: Rus Soul
9: A Rookie
9: ZENlb
9: Saint Patrick
9:
13:
13:
13:
13:
17: ZiO
17: Kobayashi
17:
17:
17:
17:
17:
17:
25: Sizzle
25: Wretched
25:
25:
25: LHG
25: Br!x
25:
33: D ickChang
33: Dark Cloud
33: 2jar
33:
33:
33:
33:
33:
33:
33:
33: Boogaloo Mark
33:
33:
33:
33:
33:

ZENlb

Smash Cadet
good games everyone. one regret was that nasty crew battle. we gotta crush it next time, sd.

LHG

Smash Journeyman
GGs to the people I played. Definitely had more fun that I thought I would walking into the ballroom. Serendipitous.

I'll start figuring out the whole placings...
Luckily we checked right after we got our second losses in bracket:

25: LHG // (2-2, without counting byes)
25: Br!x // (Ditto)
33: Boogaloo Mark // (Don't know lol)

Shoutouts later... Maybe.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Okay, I get it. Running a 48-man bracket essentially means you're running a 64 one with 16 bye's. So no one is capable of getting 49th. So 0-2'd and out is guaranteed 33rd. So losing 1-2 doesn't give you enough information. If you're 1st seed and you lose the first game and win the next and lose the third, you get 25th. If you won the first on winners and then lose 2 in a row, you get 17th. Likewise, if you are a 3rd or 4th seed, you can win game 1, and lose 2 in a row and get 33rd (though you would've had to have lost to a theoretically worse player).

So basically, if you know how you did but don't know your placing, say what seed you were and if you lost in winners or losers.

Sizzle, do you know where you lost?

1: Westballz
2: Eddie Mexico
3: Little Fumi
4: Bimbo Mexico
5: Stabbedbyanipple
5: Rickety
7: OkamiBW
7: Rus Soul
9: A Rookie
9: ZENlb
9: Saint Patrick
9:
13:
13:
13:
13:
17: ZiO
17: Kobayashi
17:
17:
17:
17:
17:
17:
25:
25: Wretched
25:
25:
25: LHG
25: Br!x
25:
33: D ickChang
33: Dark Cloud
33: 2jar
33: Sizzle
33:
33:
33:
33:
33:
33:
33: Boogaloo Mark
33:
33:
33:
33:
33:

oksas

oak-sauce
w/ the benefit of hindsight i woulda came to this. considered it but let's be real, there's no way im driving 45+ minutes for a video game tourny anymore.

hard to believe fumi got third

did sung come to this?

stab u should be ashamed. you play against top players all the time and you still can't make any real noise the one time they're not there. prob should stop taking the g ame so seriously and let it coast into hobbiness.

straight up and down goes to show you talent rules all in this game. doesn't matter how hard you work, if you don't have the natural predilection of talent then you will never have it. nothing wrong with playing it just for fun but we all know you *****s who go to tournies every week take it way too seriously than you really should relative to your skill level.

who did lil fumi use? fox? glad he did well. kid always had mad talent. too bad he shows up once every two years. last time i remember seeing his name @ a tournament was when we went to boss's house for a random tournament. sd is so good and coulda been a force but there was never that drive. they're all talent and no drive. kinda funny considering most people are all drive and no talent.
most demotivational post 2013, shadrach setting the bar high

Top Bottom