• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

PKNintendo

Smash Master
NO!

We're still on Rob.

Those who think it's 6-4
-Sudai.

Those who think it's 55-45
Me, Uffe, Stealth Raptor,
I think, and some other's

Those who think thats it`s even
Gaussis, I think Colin.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I think it is 55-45 rob
Okay I'll edit.

PS: What does Mario EXACTLY have on Rob?
I briefly read it, and it has something to do with juggling yes? Can't Ness replicate that with his aerials? (not starting a war or anything)

What does Mario have?

cutter

Smash Champion
I'm a bit surprised you've gone through a lot of characters and haven't gotten to characters like GW, Snake, and D3 yet. IMO I prefer doing top tier characters first and going down from there :ohwell:

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I'm a bit surprised you've gone through a lot of characters and haven't gotten to characters like GW, Snake, and D3 yet. IMO I prefer doing top tier characters first and going down from there :ohwell:
Eh, it's to painful. X:

Get ready Ness mains... Mario is next.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Mario is a pain in my ***. Besides Samus Aran, I have a hard time with this mofo, it's not even funny.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hi Ness mains, I'll try to give some insight on this match-up, if you guys don't mind me on these boards.

Onto the Match-Up.

Mario's FLUUD, and Cape can wreck Ness' recovery (obviously) but recovering from a fairly low distance should save you, since Mario's won't tend to go that low to gimp, risking a live off of there stock. Ness has great aerial moves, but I think Mario's have more range, except Ness' f-air is really disjointed, and will range a lot of Mario's ground/air approaches.

Mario's will be very picky about Fireballs, since PSI Magnet (?) absorbs the damage, and a lot of Mario's approaches start with a Fireball. Ness is kinda light, and can die maybe 100% from an Fsmash, and about 120% from a Usmash.

Mario mains may not really want to use FLUUD Induced Hit Lag, and save it for the 'gimping' you if you use PK Thunder, at bad times.

On the ground, I think Mario has a bit more range then Ness, but again Ness f-air is amazing at approaching with Mario. Also Mario's recovery is a bit easy to read, so you could easily pull of a d-air for a spike on Mario. Also Ness' f-throw (?) kills at like 110%.

Umm...also be careful how you use PK Fire, use it suprisingly, and don't go around using it too much, most Mario's will Cape it, then Cape you while your stuck in the PK Fire (I've done like 50% from one before, but I assume most Ness mains will get out of the PK Fire right away) Umm if a Mario does perhaps mis the edge, and get Recovery Lag, use PK Flash, PK Flash is probably a really good edguard against Mario.

I hope you liked my input...it was the best I could do :laugh:.

If you disagree with anything let me know, and I will do best to debate :), although I'm not the best at it :p.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Hi Ness mains, I'll try to give some insight on this match-up, if you guys don't mind me on these boards.

Onto the Match-Up.

Mario's FLUUD, and Cape can wreck Ness' recovery (obviously) but recovering from a fairly low distance should save you, since Mario's won't tend to go that low to gimp, risking a live off of there stock. Ness has great aerial moves, but I think Mario's have more range, except Ness' f-air is really disjointed, and will range a lot of Mario's ground/air approaches.

Mario's will be very picky about Fireballs, since PSI Magnet (?) absorbs the damage, and a lot of Mario's approaches start with a Fireball. Ness is kinda light, and can die maybe 100% from an Fsmash, and about 120% from a Usmash.

Mario mains may not really want to use FLUUD Induced Hit Lag, and save it for the 'gimping' you if you use PK Thunder, at bad times.

On the ground, I think Mario has a bit more range then Ness, but again Ness f-air is amazing at approaching with Mario. Also Mario's recovery is a bit easy to read, so you could easily pull of a d-air for a spike on Mario. Also Ness' f-throw (?) kills at like 110%.

Umm...also be careful how you use PK Fire, use it suprisingly, and don't go around using it too much, most Mario's will Cape it, then Cape you while your stuck in the PK Fire (I've done like 50% from one before, but I assume most Ness mains will get out of the PK Fire right away) Umm if a Mario does perhaps mis the edge, and get Recovery Lag, use PK Flash, PK Flash is probably a really good edguard against Mario.

I hope you liked my input...it was the best I could do :laugh:.

If you disagree with anything let me know, and I will do best to debate :), although I'm not the best at it :p.
As far as gimping goes, Ness' answer to his gimping problem are in bold color. :p

Matt07

Smash Master
:laugh: Maybe, I thought Ness has an amazing second jump, so you won't have to worry about recovering, when trying to 'gimp'. Unless if Mario's Cape hitbox hits your d-air, but we'll most likely get spiked, and you will still have your Double Jump + PK Thunder left to recover while we fall :(.

Also, umm trying staying in the center of the stage, Mario likes playing near edge to get a 'gimp.' But I you guys can most likely let us approach, our Cape only goes so far. Or if you go to approach us, again be wary of FLUUD, Cape. We'll do whatever it takes for you to use Up B.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Here's an old video of my Ness fighting my friends Mario. I lose.

Uffe (Ness) vs Mr. Morris (Mario)

This is like months back, so give his Mario some credit if he doesn't look impressive to you. I can't stress enough how much it annoys me when people criticize how a person plays their character. Not everybody plays the same and if you're going to say something mean, you might as well tell them what they could do instead of telling them how terrible they look.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, Mr. Morris is the first Mario I've ever gone up against. Ever since, I found Mario to be somewhat of a tough match up. He's quick, his smashes come out quick, he's got Fireballs to space himself, his Cape to reflect, etc. etc. His recovery isn't the best, though. You'd think Jumpman here would have the best recovery. Of course they probably made him this way to try and even him out because his attacks are good

This could easily be an even match up. Now I'm not the one to say that it is, but both characters have projectile, are able to reflect, good KO attacks and not so great recovery. Actually fighting Neon Ness' Mario got me pretty frustrated. But it was like we'd trade wins every time. I'd say these characters are fairly equal to each other. But I don't want to make myself sound like Ness has an equal match up to every character, because he doesn't.

Thanks, Matt07 for your input.

Uffe

Smash Hero

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Ness is too easy to gimp, Mario's fireball can gimp Ness' recovery in more ways than one, my advice for Ness mainers, stay in the middle of the stage, and CP Delfino ><
Elaborate please. If Ness has his double jump, you aren't gimping him anytime soon. If he is ever forced to use PKT2, he recovers directly under the stage. No real reason to get gimped.

@PK Nintendo: I don't recall saying that the matchup was 50:50 even for ROB. I said it was 55:45 ROB even (yes, this is even, with ROB at a very slight advantage).

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Your first video, I was told that one was a lag fest.
Well.. I usually play against East Coast people, and I never lag... And Vicegrip lives miles away from me.. so I don't see why we would lag? That video was old, so I forget if there was lag or not. All I remember was that he was saying that the level gimped him on his first stock.

Edit:

=Elaborate please. If Ness has his double jump, you aren't gimping him anytime soon. If he is ever forced to use PKT2, he recovers directly under the stage. No real reason to get gimped.
Countless times I've been able to hit a fireball on a Ness at the beginning of his second jump, stopping him from being able to fully jump. Check :40 on my first video for an example.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well.. I usually play against East Coast people, and I never lag... And Vicegrip lives miles away from me.. so I don't see why we would lag? That video was old, so I forget if there was lag or not. All I remember was that he was saying that the level gimped him on his first stock.

Edit:

Countless times I've been able to hit a fireball on a Ness at the beginning of his second jump, stopping him from being able to fully jump. Check :40 on my first video for an example.
Perhaps they should air dodge when they return.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Nair is a lot more effective.

Fireballs don't stop Ness from recovering from directly under the stage.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Using online videos from some time ago should not decide a matchup for you lolz.

I say it's 60-40 Mario and no, not because of gimping. That's like the dumbest reason to argue a matchup advantage in brawl. Even in melee it didn't count.

Uffe

Smash Hero
60:40? Are you serious? That's waaay too steep for this match up. Explain, please.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
A few things:

1. FIHL stops all of Ness's aerials approaches

2. Mario's cape pretty much neutralizes Ness's camping strategies

3. Mario has a far easier time gimping Ness than vice-versa

4. Mario is better at approaching Ness than vice-versa

There's more but that's just some stuff to start.

Uffe

Smash Hero
A few things:

You might want to share with us what your jargon here means. I have no idea what FIHL is. Also, push aside the gimping for once. Anyone can gimp. As for the Cape, Ness doesn't only rely on projectile to win. A nair or dair can still hit while Mario uses his Cape. While we're still on the subject of Mario's Cape, don't forget that Ness can control his PK Thunder, which means, once you bring out that Cape, all Ness has to do is circle the PK Thunder and then strike with it while Mario lags from putting his Cape away.

I'm aware that Mario can camp and space with his Fireballs and use them as a distraction, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Ness is doomed to get hit with another attack. You may not know this, but once Ness' PSI Magnet is up, projectile like Mario's Fireballs can not only give Ness health, but Ness can do attacks, shield, spotdodge or use whatever means to escape out of his PSI Magnet free from lag. Don't believe me, look here.

Ness' PSI Magnet Cancel

If you can't view it, refresh the page or watch it in Higher Quality.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
A few things:

1) Not sure what that is. Care to elaborate?

2) Ness doesn't camp in the sense that most other characters do. If he camps, it's going to be with a projectile under his control (PKT in other words). The cape isn't guaranteed.

3) I disagree. Mario can get stagespiked with PKT if he has a high enough percentage and is recovering from the beneath the stage. If not, Ness can just go out and try to nair Mario. Mario has little options against a Ness with a DJ left and one that uses PKT from underneath the stage. If anything, they can gimp each other fairly well. One forces the opponent to recover in a predictable position and punish accordingly. The other will keep the opponent away from the ledge.

4) Also care to elaborate?

Don't mean to say it for the 9000 time...but have you tried FLUDD?
FLUDD is outprioritized by Ness's nair and sometimes fair. It won't gimp recovery as much. You will only end up forcing Ness's hand in trying to recover low.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
You might want to share with us what your jargon here means. I have no idea what FIHL is. Also, push aside the gimping for once. Anyone can gimp. As for the Cape, Ness doesn't only rely on projectile to win. A nair or dair can still hit while Mario uses his Cape. While we're still on the subject of Mario's Cape, don't forget that Ness can control his PK Thunder, which means, once you bring out that Cape, all Ness has to do is circle the PK Thunder and then strike with it while Mario lags from putting his Cape away.

I'm aware that Mario can camp and space with his Fireballs and use them as a distraction, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Ness is doomed to get hit with another attack. You may not know this, but once Ness' PSI Magnet is up, projectile like Mario's Fireballs can not only give Ness health, but Ness can do attacks, shield, spotdodge or use whatever means to escape out of his PSI Magnet free from lag. Don't believe me, look here.

Ness' PSI Magnet Cancel

If you can't view it, refresh the page or watch it in Higher Quality.
FLUDD is a reliable way to gimp PK Thunder and the cape glide can be used to directly atk Ness quickly from far distances, also Mario can FLUDD wall (FW) with the cape glide. And although Ness can absorb fireballs, he cannot absorb the FLUDD. Additionally, FIHL is short for FLUDD Induced Hit Lag which cause opponent's atks to lag upon hitting the FLUDD.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Additionally, FIHL is short for FLUDD Induced Hit Lag which cause opponent's atks to lag upon hitting the FLUDD.
This won't really matter since nair hitboxes last the entire or near-entire duration.

And as for the recovery, Ness can avoid most of Mario's edgeguarding by recovering low.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
1) Not sure what that is. Care to elaborate?

2) Ness doesn't camp in the sense that most other characters do. If he camps, it's going to be with a projectile under his control (PKT in other words). The cape isn't guaranteed.

3) I disagree. Mario can get stagespiked with PKT if he has a high enough percentage and is recovering from the beneath the stage. If not, Ness can just go out and try to nair Mario. Mario has little options against a Ness with a DJ left and one that uses PKT from underneath the stage. If anything, they can gimp each other fairly well. One forces the opponent to recover in a predictable position and punish accordingly. The other will keep the opponent away from the ledge.

4) Also care to elaborate?
1. Explained above

2. Mario's cape is guarenteed, plus using PK Thunder and PK Flash is very risky against Mario because of the FLUDD.

3. Mario has plenty of options including the cape, cape stalling, FLUDD, fireballs, and any aerial that has good priority.

4. Ness cannot safely approach Mario due to the FLUDD but Mario approach Ness with the FLUDD, also fireballs are a lot harder absorb then you give them credit since they can be directly followed up with.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
This won't really matter since nair hitboxes last the entire or near-entire duration.

And as for the recovery, Ness can avoid most of Mario's edgeguarding by recovering low.
First of all, that's not how FIHL works, and second of all recovering low is the worst thing you can do against Mario.

Edit: Double post

Uffe

Smash Hero
FLUDD is a reliable way to gimp PK Thunder and the cape glide can be used to directly atk Ness quickly from far distances, also Mario can FLUDD wall (FW) with the cape glide. And although Ness can absorb fireballs, he cannot absorb the FLUDD. Additionally, FIHL is short for FLUDD Induced Hit Lag which cause opponent's atks to lag upon hitting the FLUDD.
I didn't want to have to do this, but it was just waiting to happen. PSI Magnet Stall. This is a great way to avoid getting gimped no matter who the opponent is. Played Xyro77, was daired once but after doing that it just wasn't happening. I can't remember who's Ness I was playing, but he tried to dair me and pillar spike me with his Ness and using that stall there, it never happened. You can use your F.L.U.D.D. to try and gimp Ness, but don't think it's always going to work. Because as long as Ness has that stall, his second jump and PK Thunder, he's not going anywhere for awhile. You might as well grab a Snickers.

Might I add this is a great way for Ness to return if your opponent has projectile that heals. F.L.U.D.D. can push that back, too, but don't think it's going to instantly kill him. If you miss, then you have the option of spiking or refilling your tank. Even so, any character is able to air dodge as they return. So again, let's put gimping aside, because anyone can do this.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I didn't want to have to do this, but it was just waiting to happen. PSI Magnet Stall. This is a great way to avoid getting gimped no matter who the opponent is. Played Xyro77, was daired once but after doing that it just wasn't happening. I can't remember who's Ness I was playing, but he tried to dair me and pillar spike me with his Ness and using that stall there, it never happened. You can use your F.L.U.D.D. to try and gimp Ness, but don't think it's always going to work. Because as long as Ness has that stall, his second jump and PK Thunder, he's not going anywhere for awhile. You might as well grab a Snickers.

Might I add this is a great way for Ness to return if your opponent has projectile that heals. F.L.U.D.D. can push that back, too, but don't think it's going to instantly kill him. If you miss, then you have the option of spiking or refilling your tank. Even so, any character is able to air dodge as they return. So again, let's put gimping aside, because anyone can do this.
Mario still has his cape glide which allows him to atk directly very quickly from very far distances, also he can combine it with the FLUDD to make it unavoidable.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Additionally, FIHL is short for FLUDD Induced Hit Lag which cause opponent's atks to lag upon hitting the FLUDD.
Ok, this is what I understood from this description. Basically, any attack that hits the water causes them to undergo hitlag and allows Mario to react. If an attack, like Ness's nair, hits FLUDD, then the hitbox stays for the hitlag the water induced. Since nair lasts nearly the entire animation, even in hitlag, then Mario would trade hits with any non-disjointed attack. Correct me on any points that seem incorrect.

1. Explained above

2. Mario's cape is guarenteed, plus using PK Thunder and PK Flash is very risky against Mario because of the FLUDD.

3. Mario has plenty of options including the cape, cape stalling, FLUDD, fireballs, and any aerial that has good priority.

4. Ness cannot safely approach Mario due to the FLUDD but Mario approach Ness with the FLUDD, also fireballs are a lot harder absorb then you give them credit since they can be directly followed up with.
1) Response awaiting correction above.

2) It doesn't mean that you can FLUDD when he is under.

3) You have little options against the tail of PKT. FLUDD fails Mario for recovery due to its long duration. Pretty much Ness directs PKT into the chokepoints of Mario's recovery. The cape is good here, but it won't always save Mario.

4) Fireballs aren't too hard to absorb and you can't follow up if they were absorbed from the ground due to magnet cancel (as in lagless magnet). Besides, apart from absorbing, Ness could just ftilt/nair them.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ok, this is what I understood from this description. Basically, any attack that hits the water causes them to undergo hitlag and allows Mario to react. If an attack, like Ness's nair, hits FLUDD, then the hitbox stays for the hitlag the water induced. Since nair lasts nearly the entire animation, even in hitlag, then Mario would trade hits with any non-disjointed attack. Correct me on any points that seem incorrect.
You're half right but the FLUDD still deals pushback while lagging that atk, making only extremely high-momentum atks able to have a chance to move through it.

2) It doesn't mean that you can FLUDD when he is under.
Not sure what you mean.

3) You have little options against the tail of PKT. FLUDD fails Mario for recovery due to its long duration. Pretty much Ness directs PKT into the chokepoints of Mario's recovery. The cape is good here, but it won't always save Mario.
FLUDD is for defending Mario's recovery, not enhancing it. Fireballs also work.

4) Fireballs aren't too hard to absorb and you can't follow up if they were absorbed from the ground due to magnet cancel (as in lagless magnet). Besides, apart from absorbing, Ness could just ftilt/nair them.
The point is that Mario can be atking you a the same time a fireball is hitting or about to hit you. You can absorb fireballs but you also have to be aware that you can be punished for doing so, even with PSI Magnet Cancel.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Mario still has his cape glide which allows him to atk directly very quickly from very far distances, also he can combine it with the FLUDD to make it unavoidable.
The Cape doesn't go very far. It's nothing like zair. It's more of a direct attack because you have to get near just to hit. It's not like zair where you can be at a distance to strike. And with Cape > F.L.U.D.D. just to gimp Ness, is it really worth the risk of getting KO'd yourself? Not by Ness, but by how far you decide to go out just to gimp your opponent? Also, it's not worth Caping Ness while he's using the PSI Magnet as a stall. I'll tell you why. Ness is obviously trying to return to the stage, but he inches towards it slightly which Caping really won't do much. It's not like Marth's Dolphin Slash where he can come close to the stage and then suddenly be turned around by Mario's Cape.

Also, again, for the third time, can we stop talking about gimping as if that made up the entire match up? If that were the case, Sheik would be garbage.

Top Bottom