• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of order, new matchup thread coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Im a MK main, and have play Phantom X, MalcomM, Mr. Clutch, and other good Warios. Brinstar is one of Warios CP's. BF is very good, its a small stages, and platforms are easy to set up U-air which is a good kill move. FD is just a large stage and Warios amazing recovery won't help with gimps, and since his f-smash has invincibility frames so killing wolf isn't a hard task, let alone it being a easy hitting, powerful move.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wario doesn't seem to have a particular weakness when it comes to CPing (he breaks the CP system! BAN HIM!!!) so you can choose your stage based on personal preference. Always ban Rainbow Cruise, Wolf does OKish on Brinstar against Wario (better than on RC) and strike FD and Lylat Cruise as neutrals. BF is a bit difficult but it's naturally a good Wolf stage...
YI is the best stage against Wario. The uneven ground seems to make some occasional grab release shenaningans possible although I wouldn't count one it...

For starters: YI > SV > BF > FD/Lylat
For CPs: always ban RC. Halberd, Castle Siege and PS1 are passable stages.

You won't gain any significant advantage since Wario can't be CPed anyways. Just try to avoid RC and try to have YI or SV as stater stage and you should do well.

:059:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Oh, my Lord, is this a match-up I know something about? O_o I've played a decent Falco quite a few times. His name is Gstainc. lol He wouldn't agree, but hopefully tomorrow when he comes by again for more smashing, I can get some fresh experience and give a better match-up idea. ; )

EDIT: Unfortunately, I did not play Gstainc. We were beat, so, we just chilled and watched a movie.

Anyway, I'll tell you what I know about the MU with Falco.

Don't get grabbed.

Falco has a lot of damage on you from the CG. From what I remember from my matches, it was around forty to fifty damage. What I would do if I were you is stay sharp, don't get outcamped.

But one thing you might want to do is try and take as much damage as you can from the little stuff so the CG can no longer be used. Getting damage from normal attacks is worse than getting damage from a CG that can set you in a bad position.

Remember, Falco has an annoying reflector, it pops out like a jack-in-the-box, and it trips you.

Keep your distance.

Spacing is even more important in this MU, because even without that CG, he can still combo you.

What I've found is that you can dish out a couple of your lasers if you're smart, and this is where Falco's weaknesses come into play.

His greatest weakness is recovery, if I may be so bold. He does have the phantasm, but if you use blaster, he falls. This is where reflector comes into play. Fall, shine, jump, shine, UpB. That is my preferred way of gimping Falco, shining him two times after he falls from failing with the phantasm. Only leave level to gimp Falco. Don't try anything fancy like an awesome dair. I'll laugh at your fail.

As far as I'm concerned, this MU is pretty even, but I'm going to say 45:55 for Wolf because of the CG and Spike.

Oh, and stay on the level. Birds fly, Wolves die.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Oh, my Lord, is this a match-up I know something about? O_o I've played a decent Falco quite a few times. His name is Gstainc. lol He wouldn't agree, but hopefully tomorrow when he comes by again for more smashing, I can get some fresh experience and give a better match-up idea. ; )
Thats good cuz I have like 0 offline experience vs everybody except bowser(its all wifi for me).

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Uhh.... Don't get cg spiked... that's the main thing lol. Camp a platform or something until at least 20%, then be sure to stay at center stage until like 40-45%. Falco's lasers are a pain, but just sit there and reflect them if you want, at a distance. I'm not sure how well rolling out of reflector (after you're hit) will work if they try to IAP right after, but it might be worth a shot.

Lots of shff bairs are good, if you space them well he can't shieldgrab you (might be able to punish otherwise though, idr). The annoying thing is that his lasers will turn you around, so if you get hit you might end up using fair and landing with lag and getting punished. Once you get past the lasers it's not so bad imo, bair outranges falco in the front (his bair can somewhat compete with it) and once he's offstage you can make recovering a hassle with bair, laser, and shine. Falco isn't the best when it comes to killing, so honestly as long as you avoid the cg spike (not that hard once you get used to it, and you can tech it as well) it's about even.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I have a tidbit of info to put in for the Falco matchup:

Based on the Falco's I've played, when they're hanging on the edge or just trying to recover onto the stage, they like to use the phantasm in hopes of getting a hit on us while recovering at the same time.

I like to move towards the middle of the stage (because it travels far horizontally), pull out the shield at the last minute, and then punish with a Dsmash, Fsmash, Bair or whatever.

Also, his Dsmash isn't that good. Punish it when you get the chance.

60-40 Falco's favor

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I think if you're playing really gay on a stage with platforms that you can camp, Wolf might have an advantage. But then again, I haven't played any very good falcos.

(people, contribute please?)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think if you're playing really gay on a stage with platforms that you can camp, Wolf might have an advantage.
No matter how stupid you want to play Falco is always 5698509459085689 times gayer.

If the Falco doesn't SHDLs correctly you can DACUS under it. Chainspike is survivable but it's still a ****load of damage, especially if he tech chases you with fsmash (70% :urg:).
What you have to do is "camp" but stay right in front of him aka be defensive but don't let him outcamp you. Stay close and watch out for his BROKEN rapid A move.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
All I can say is stay out of falco's face.

1. his breath smells like the victims of his **** fests.

2. He can cripple you with high damage CGs.*Cough* peachcandoittoostfuasaphigaveyoufiftyhyphenfivedamageoffthatandmixupXD*cough*

This match up isn't too bad, just space well. and accurately.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Falco vs Wolf isn't terrible. From 0% to about 50%, camp and space your *** off. Try and stay a good distance way where you ca get b-air without getting shield-grabbed. Taking lasers during the first 50% isn't that bad, but don't let too much laser damage add up. Jumpshine to GTFO when close to falco. Falco's recovery is worst than Wolfs vertically, so shine and n-air are good for keeping him away from the stage, but don't let him get above you or you will be spiked. Be sure to control center stage as much as possible so you don't end up in a bad position off stage.

That's all I got. Not the worst match-up for wolf, about 55-45 to 60-40 in falco's favor both times.

impostoroak557

Smash Cadet
Rember people, you can tech the spike....
On that note though, if the Falco is good enough to mindgame you or crap enough to mess it up, you may not get hit by the dair. Be careful not to try to tech in these situations, as you'll fair yourself down low enough for the Falco to just edgehog you

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Blastering his phantasm doesnt really help that much. free dmg, for sure, but even average falco players know to buffer a 2nd side b (or at least all the falco's i've played know to do it) so they dont get in position for being shine spiked.

Bair beats phantasm as do shine and blaster. If you're able to shine his phantasm so that he remains off stage, thats better than blastering imo cuz either he tries to side b again and gets dsmashed (you should dsmash if he tries to side b) or he up b's and gets shine spiked (you should shine spike if he tries to up b).

I'm terrible at the rest of the match up imo so i won't say anything. Maybe i'll change my mind about this after bio 3.

Edit: The CG does not work if falco's dthrow is still fresh when you are at 30%, i noticed there were %'s being thrown around here and there, but yea. I just figure if falco never grabs you, you never have to worry about it though.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Falco has the favor in this matchup.

What Falco has, is chaingrabbing, which can go up to 50% +, or with the spike, a 0-death unless the Wolf knows how to tech the spike, which not many players actually take the time to learn. He can edgeguard Wolf fairly well with lasers, spaced reflectors, and bair/dair and Falco can rack damage insanely quick.

If the Wolf knows how to survive CG-Spike, tech-chasing still wraps. Falco can also kill alot quicker the Wolf, imo.

Wolf can reflect, interrupt phantasm with aerials/lasers, nair/reflector combos, and some good mindgames with Tele-whatever, forgot the name lul. Wolf can't rack damage up quickly as Falco can, but his Bair WoP can completely **** Falco if spaced correctly as an edgeguarding tactic, or using it for the kill alone.

Falco's will and should play really aggressive in this matchup, as camping won't do ****. Smart ones, will also use lasers wisely, not just mindlessly and get reflected back at them. IAP is really helpful in this match as well, so Wolf's should expect it and be ready to punish.

Wolf should basically avoid getting grabbed, guranteed to get edgeguarded, spiked, or tech-chased. Don't abuse lasers to often. Reflector is quite helpful against Falco's. Don't camp against a Falco. I suggest using a stage with platforms against him, camp him, and less chance of getting CG'd if your just staying on them.

What to expect:
-Less on-stage phantasms, smart Falco's will know they will get punished easily if doing so.
-Chaingrabbing
-Tilts/Aerials for quick damage racking
-His bread up Wolf's ***.

I haven't played to many Wolf's, but tis is my say in the matchup.

I'd say 55-45 or 60-40 Falco's favor though. A few of these posts might be useful, check it.

Camping game / Long range game : Both have lasers, both have reflector... All depends on the reactions off each player. At long distance, wolf can only reflector though, so he has to approach (at least until his laser can hit us). We can't reflect his lasers, but we can reflect our lasers already reflected by Wolf :psycho:
Falco, thanks to his IAP, can punish an error on Wolf's side very easily. It allows him to approach really fast too, and to get a grab rapidly. But the wolf can just stand there and laser... In that case, you can :
1) Laser on your side, but at a longest range, so you win the camping game (but you sacrify your grab).
2) Make him use his reflector (but short hopping without using a laser), to create an opening for your IAP > Grab.

Camping Game (and camping game only) : 60 - 40.
If Falco wants the grab : 40-60, or even 35-65 if the Wolf lasers no matter what happens. Then you wan jump over the lasers, but Wolf has the upper-hand.

Mid-range game : Wolf has Bair, Falco has laser and reflector. All our aerials get outprioritized by Wolf's Bair (well at least outranged), but our lasers are very helpful here (SHDL and follow-up). Reflector can be helpful too, but is too laggy.
I'm not sure of the conclusion... 60-40 i would say. You have slightly the upper-hand : If Wolf uses reflector, you follow with yours.
Falco and Wolf also have both a Boost Smash, but it's risky for them to use it in theory, because the are open to close-range game (\/)
Wolf(s FSmash is in the same case.

Close-range : Hum... Really difficult to see who has the advantage. Wolf has Bair (I'm sure you had guessed that), Fair, Reflector, good grab game, DSmash, Jab, FTilt... And Falco has lasers (yes, they're useful at all ranges), Dair, Bair, Jab and most of all grab... I would say it's pretty even, but in theory Wolf's aerial game > Falco's, and Falco's ground game > Wolf's, in this match-up at least.
50 - 50

Off-stage game : Well Wolf is easier to gimp than Falco. So 60 - 40 Falco easily.

Killing : It's also clear here that Wolf, if he kept FSmash or DSmash fresh, have a better time killing Falco than the contrary. Falco is also easier to catch than a Bair-loving Wolf. If Falco gets a Bair though, and follows by a ood edge-guard, it's finished for Wolf though.
60 - 40 Wolf.

Chaingrab : Let's say that Wolf can tech the Dair if he gets caught. Taht's still a nasty 60% here. And Falco can just jump and not Dair, so the Wolf falls, and then follow with Dair / Bair.
But it's pretty hard to get a grab for Falco. But in a Best Of 3, i'm sure Falco can get it once or twice, assuming that the two players are at the same level.

So i would say 55-45 Falco, or 60-40 Falco, because you can escape a grab all day long. Even if you can escape at low percentages, Falco can get you at 20% near a ledge, and you're in a really bad position. And Wolf being heavy, the DThrow have good follows-ups no matter the percentages.
Don't forget that mindgames can come into play after the chaingrab.

But really, falco racks up insane damage with the chaingrab against wolf, up to 60% I think after the spike. If they know how to tech, then just spike them into the ground and tech chase from there. Or just chaingrab them off the edge and let them use and aerial because they are smash DI-ing. Drop down and bair to finish him off. Falco kills a lot quicker than wolf even without the spike.

Wolf's bair is godly though. If you're recovering watch out for this because it is a wall of pain. Tap DI up to decrease the number of hits wolf can get in. Some wolfs also like edgeguarding with lasers, so be cautious about ledeghopping because it can really screw you up. Also, don't go to close to wolf because his reflector is very fast and is often followed up by fsmash or dsmash (low %).

Just my brief thoughts on the match-up. Usually I 2 or 3-stock wolves so I don't really pay attention to analysing the match-up. But this is a match-up where playing aggressively helps.
Really? Even if Wolf tech's the bair/isn't spiked, he still got around a free 60%, a large damage output for one mistake that Wolf clearly cannot just do back to Falco. (Wolf would have to actually work for the %)

From there Falco has a superior camping game and air game, and for ground Falco has (arguably) the best Jab in the game. So my advice is that if Wolf's bair is controlling you at medium distance... you can always run and laser to regain control again. And if he closes the distance in front of you, you've got one of the best tools for just throwing out and stopping him.

Falco beats Wolf soundly, there is no doubt about this, Hylian knows it too but maybe you guys are going to continue trying to call us both wrong because of.... Wolf's bair? I just don't understand.

(As for good Wolf's I faced Fatalx back when my Falco was just starting out and I beat him in tournament, only got one 0 to death chaingrab out too.)
Hope it helps! :)

Vista

Smash Journeyman
Honestly it's about 55:45 imo, 60:40 at absolute worst.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
I agree. Its not horrible if you know what your doing, without proper match up experience the match up could be 6:4 to 65:35. Understanding Falco is key, I understand him since my doubles partner is Keitaro.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Leave it at 60-40. Falcos already have that on their outdated matchup chart lolol.

And bread gives us a +5 as well.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
My personal info:
Ban FD, it has an odd stage and Wolf's recovery is worse there, its much harder to tech the CG spike, and there is no platforms to get away from him grabbing, its just too many minuses to try to play on that stage. You need to outsmart your opponent and predict 2 things, jabbing and grabbing when your at lower percents. 1. Falcos Jab is the fastest in the game and combos into the CG spike, which is bad, try to make him camp you with lazers til higher percent and avoid grabs at all costs. Spaced Bairs and Fairs keep him away well, also if you predict a grab try to bait him into a shine, then abuse him out of it. A lot of Falcos approach with dair while in the air so if you see this coming space a bair or if your confident enough and read him quickly do a fair. Lazer + Upsmash is the most common technique Falcos use to kill, so don't let him lazer you while hes close at high percent, or it could be a stock.

Recommended CPs:
BF, Delfino, Halberd, Brinstar.

Recommended Bans:
FD, Castle Siege, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise.

impostoroak557

Smash Cadet
If you end up on Japes-
1. Try to control the middle of the stage, or, failing that, the right platfom. You die quite early on the sides, so be wary of that. Also, be aware that down smash will kill earlier. Someone getting an exact percentage would be helpful.

2. If you end up in the water, hold right. Slows you down a bit.

3. REFLECT LAZORZ

4. If you get him in the water, go and grab the the ledge on the left of the left platform. Makes it a bit more difficult for him. If he phantasms over you, get up and d-smash the bugger.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Well, I think it's definitely in Wolf's favor. You can utilize diddy's bananas as well as he can, if not better (DACIT, faster ranged options to punish trips, reflector, fair picks up bananas well, etc). Shine can get you out of his usmash and after the first hit of his jab. I've seen it work out of dash attack as well, but that might need DI (same goes for fsmash, seeing how jigglypuff can rest through it). Offstage, if you force diddy to use upB, shine gimp is practically a stock. Wolf is heavy which can make him easy to combo at the start of the stock, but the reflector can get you out of a few. Also, diddy has difficulty KOing, so wolf should live long if you avoid gimps.

I listed practically nothing that's in diddy's favor, but that's just cause I can't really think of any atm. I'm going to be daring and say it's probably something like 60:40 wolf at the top levels of play.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
watching JJ vs all the diddy in his combo video, I think its 55:45 in Wolf favor.

Wolf can use the bananas well, just as good as Diddy, and Wolf has better options to kill with after tripping the Diddy with the bananas, you could grab a banana and camp Diddy due to if he wants to stop you from camping he has to approach or use his 2nd banana wisely, and mindgame you or you will be in complete control. Wolf can do combos and mindgames and deal out serious damage with the bananas but the only thing making me think this isn't 6:4 is the Diddy knows more about bananas and aren't going to offer them to you. You have to make the effort the obtain them and use them well. Also Diddy can gimp you. But if you use shine correctly, you can gimp him too. Offstage its hard, but on stage you HAVE to outplay the diddy to get everything in motion or you will loose.

Recommended Counterpicks:
BF, Halberd, Brinstar, and Yoshis Island

Recommended Bans:
Delfino Plaza, Castle Seige, FD, Lylat, and RC

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
JJ probably think it is 5-95 when he verses diddys. the 95 is our favor. For every other wolf i'd say 55-45 wolf's favor. we have dacit on him. reflector. he is easily shine gimped. he also takes a while to kill. wolf is heavy so this works to our advantage.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I think we should, it sucks when we don't get input from an adequate main of the other character... which is like all the time ._. Honestly let's just get JJ and Turtle to write up on it, they both know the matchup to the finest detail.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
That's not a good idea, partially because they've played so much. I trust the two, but they know the "Turtl vs JJ" MU, which isn't the entirety of "Wolf vs Diddy". Plus, and I won't take any of their word on it, but we don't know if they're, to a T, even players. It's better to get a pool of knowledge from more experienced players than just two, that way we get more opinions.

See what I'm saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom