• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Kirby Matchup Thread, now discussing: LUCAS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I sense that it's time to move on. Any objections?

:wario:
Like I said before, the Wario match up is most likely going to be 45/55 Wario. I would say a match up that should change for the better or worst. Unless some Kirby mains say that Kirby does better than Wario, and I would like to see if that's true since I don't see that happaning.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
fthrow > uair > reverse utilt a couple of times until you're about to DI out > bair > edgeguard

dthrow > utilt until you're about to DI out > rising bair > falling bair > edgeguard

fthrow > fair > ftilt

fthrow > fair > pummel+dthrow > utilt > bair
If we're going to assume that both players know the matchup, which is what we've been doing, then we have to take into account that Ganon is going to consistently SDI the uair after fthrow (it's not hard at all). I've never seen fthrow -> fair, but I don't see it being too much of a problem IF it can't be SDI'd out of as well, especially since it doesn't lead into another grab. Dthrow -> utilt might be nasty, I'll have to check out Kirby's utilt later.

Kewkky said:
Well, what ratio are we agreeing on? I say this is a counterpick MU, which is 65:35 Kirby's minimum. What do others say?
You guys can assign whatever you want to the matchup, but I honestly don't think this is bad enough to be a counterpick. I really don't feel like it should go further than 60-40 kirby.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Match up ratio on both sides matter if we are to make this community better, we can't have an diffrent ratio on both sides you know. Also for this being said, match up's on low tier characters are kind of hard to do since there's a handful of those who play them use them in tourney's.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I agree that in a tourney, one never sees Ganons... My friend only uses Yoshi and G&W whenever he goes to tourneys.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
@Jekyll: The f-throw to u-air can be SDI'ed to where nothing else works, the f-throw to f-air takes more that 10 frames and can be reacted to if you are looking for it, and the d-throw u-tilt isn't guaranteed. I don't know what Ganon's options are from these strings, but for the most part Kirby can only reliably get in 18% (f-throw to u-air), then nothing works anymore if the opponent knows the MU. This goes for characters like Fox and Falco too, so I'm just going to assume that Ganon can get away without too much trouble (I'd test it out, but I don't have access to a wii currently).

@Kirbys that don't believe Jekyll and TP: Get Fromundaman in here, he plays both characters. This really is one of Ganon's better MUs and I don't think anything more than 60-40 Kirby's favor is accurate.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
@Kirbys that don't believe Jekyll and TP: Get Fromundaman in here, he plays both characters. This really is one of Ganon's better MUs and I don't think anything more than 60-40 Kirby's favor is accurate.
I've played his Ganon, back when my Wii still worked... And online I can't really say I accept that info, since the split-second decisions that I usually do are held back because of the lag. He can easily get a sideB on me, and I can also easily escape his chainchoke attempts due to all the lag that prevents us to react as soon as we should.

I'll just play a random Ganon main that appears at Pound4 if I make the money to go there. Me and a bunch of PR players are saving money for that tourney.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I've played his Ganon, back when my Wii still worked... And online I can't really say I accept that info, since the split-second decisions that I usually do are held back because of the lag. He can easily get a sideB on me, and I can also easily escape his chainchoke attempts due to all the lag that prevents us to react as soon as we should.

I'll just play a random Ganon main that appears at Pound4 if I make the money to go there. Me and a bunch of PR players are saving money for that tourney.
I was saying that not because I've played him, but because he plays both characters. Its the same principal as asking me about the DK vs. Kirby MU. I'm just looking at the tools that the characters have, looking at the evidences and making a judgment call. Fro would probably do the same thing, but I'll leave it up to him to answer that.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby vs. Ganondorf should not be greater than 60:40 in Kirby's favor.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
I think everything that needs to be said here has been said.

I don't think Kirby is GUARANTEED a combo for more than 18%, but can still gimp the hell out of Ganon. His aerial mobility, small lag between attacks, and overall good spacing game makes it hard for Ganon to attack, let alone land a choke.

Ganon kills Kirby in around 6 hits, seriously. He has plenty of guaranteed followups after a Flame Choke, including the option of chainchoking Kirby(which isn't that difficult).

Not knowing the matchup can lead to an embarrassing **** (See Jekyll vs Asdioh at Smash and Coffee), but in the hands of two skilled players that know the matchup, I think this is 60:40 Kirby.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I think everything that needs to be said here has been said.

I don't think Kirby is GUARANTEED a combo for more than 18%, but can still gimp the hell out of Ganon. His aerial mobility, small lag between attacks, and overall good spacing game makes it hard for Ganon to attack, let alone land a choke.

Ganon kills Kirby in around 6 hits, seriously. He has plenty of guaranteed followups after a Flame Choke, including the option of chainchoking Kirby(which isn't that difficult).

Not knowing the matchup can lead to an embarrassing **** (See Jekyll vs Asdioh at Smash and Coffee), but in the hands of two skilled players that know the matchup, I think this is 60:40 Kirby.
Sounds good.

:luigi2: ?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Kirby ducks under Jab UpB, and he outranges Luigi with all sorts of dumb crap.

Luigi combos better and can KO earlier. Both characters kinda **** each other offstage. Yeah.

So anyhow the matchup overall goes to Kirby, but the more powershielding comes into play, the more this matchup leans towards Luigi. Getting predictable in general is bad, but it's particularly important to note against Luigi, who benefits quite a lot from powershielding. He'll probably get a free Smash if he powershields a B-air, and of course, it's important to keep in mind how ridiculously strong his F-smash is (stronger than Kirby's for that matter).

yoshq

Smash Master
Kirby ducks under Jab UpB, and he outranges Luigi with all sorts of dumb crap.
Luigi combos better and can KO earlier. Both characters kinda **** each other offstage. Yeah.
I have a friend who is the best kirby ever and has the most insane comboes, but none of them work against luigi with his nair. He comments to me after the matches "my offense is completely reduced to bairs against luigi" Aside of that, I think kirby has the advantage in this matchup if he starts thinking and throws a lot of fsmashes out of the blue. If the kirby has good enough timing, he can completely gimp luigi with one of like 4 options - dair, rock being the best.

Some of the most important facts to be considered is who can combo who, and like A2 said, kirby can duck under the jab upb. I believe however that since luigi is so floaty it's possible to jump and/or nair after kirby's fthrow uair, and before the other stuff. I know it's possible to jump after the dthrow or w/e kirby does to get you into the utilt position.

All in all I think most kirbys try to out-space luigi, but they have to realize they have more priority and just need to use some smart timing to beat him.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have a friend who is the best kirby ever and has the most insane comboes, but none of them work against luigi with his nair. He comments to me after the matches "my offense is completely reduced to bairs against luigi"
That's why I hate fighting Luigi. He can just break out of a combo with a nair, and I'm reduced to crappy bair spacing and grabs, no combos. He can combo you (with the 2-hit combos he does thanks to his aerial movement), but you can't combo him.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
Kirby ducks under Jab UpB,
Yes or you can just DI backwards.

I have a friend who is the best kirby ever and has the most insane comboes, but none of them work against luigi with his nair.
I agree, Nair beats most of our aerials and grab combos are ineffective.

I don't know, the match is really close. Our air game goes evenly matched with Luigi's same goes with our ground game and his. Killing power is about equivalent also, well placed hammer sand smashes will KO pretty early though Kirby's light and Luigi's got super punch and a nasty Fsmash. It's as if everthing is a tie aganist Luigi except offstage. Tornado is predictable, rocket is predictable, and super punch is predictable. Just be careful with the rocket and super punch otherwise it's going to be more than a failed gimp.

Overall the match comes down to who gets on their drive first.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't know, the match is really close. Our air game goes evenly matched with Luigi's same goes with our ground game and his. Killing power is about equivalent also, well placed hammer sand smashes will KO pretty early though Kirby's light and Luigi's got super punch and a nasty Fsmash. It's as if everthing is a tie aganist Luigi except offstage. Tornado is predictable, rocket is predictable, and super punch is predictable. Just be careful with the rocket and super punch otherwise it's going to be more than a failed gimp.
Just dair his downB, sideB or upB. As long as you keep your cool and don't just jump out there and dair a random area and risk missing, you have that stock in the bag if Luigi's offstage.

And Luigi's upB isn't really as dangerous as it seems. It's not a legit combo, so we can just leave the shield button pressed when he jabs us and we end up powershielding it. His fsmash is pretty **** nasty, but spacing well and punishing his shielding with grabs will make our advantage more notable. Still, it's a pretty even MU... You just can't combo a good Luigi, and he has two dangerous options to kill you if you misspace or are not careful while close to him (upB and up-angled fsmash). 55:45 Kirby's because our fsmash has more range, and offstage we dominate.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Kirby's tilts are really safe against Luigi. U-tilt probably beats his N-air, F-tilt outranges Luigi's Jab. D-tilt isn't very useful in this matchup (except for possibly edgeguarding) if I recall since he slides away too much on trip.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Just dair his downB, sideB or upB. As long as you keep your cool and don't just jump out there and dair a random area and risk missing, you have that stock in the bag if Luigi's offstage.

And Luigi's upB isn't really as dangerous as it seems. It's not a legit combo, so we can just leave the shield button pressed when he jabs us and we end up powershielding it. His fsmash is pretty **** nasty, but spacing well and punishing his shielding with grabs will make our advantage more notable. Still, it's a pretty even MU... You just can't combo a good Luigi, and he has two dangerous options to kill you if you misspace or are not careful while close to him (upB and up-angled fsmash). 55:45 Kirby's because our fsmash has more range, and offstage we dominate.
Just letting you know, majority of the matchup is ONSTAGE, not that l'm excluding offstage, but just saying onstage will matter more.

It's a pretty momentum based matchup, usually l think who gets the first ko, stock lead and maintains the momentum at best will win. Kirby has a general hard time approaching and makes him really predictable, and powershielding his bair makes the matchup alot easier. The only thing you SHOULD DEF be wary is, how kirby will takes fireballs ability and aircamps with it.

l played Allied.. he should be able to give a 2 cents in the matchup lol name drop.. it's usually luigi who keeps kirby guessing what luigi will do once hes there..

also even though you can DI or duck or w/e luigi's jab upb, it's still a factor in matchup (just saying), jab1 comes at frame 2, while l think human reaction plus reflexes to input the shield or something is like what? 5 frames? dunno but l know most people can't react to a quick jab, which results them in predicting it, so luigi can pretty much be doing jab > grabs and such like that.

5/5 mostly stage dependent. Chudat and Boss probably have the best experiences since they always play each other.

Kirby's tilts are really safe against Luigi. U-tilt probably beats his N-air, F-tilt outranges Luigi's Jab. D-tilt isn't very useful in this matchup (except for possibly edgeguarding) if I recall since he slides away too much on trip.
Wat. Ftilt our Jab1? wat?

NNID
MasterHavik
This is a close match up for Kriby, but how are suppsoe to approach weeegee? Use our dash attack, 'cause we know he would own us in the air?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You'll need to suck his ability to get his fireballs.

Generally, his mainstay approach can be a Bair, but it gets predictable and same with Fair.

and luigi's Dair > kirby's dash attack. So kirby really has a hard time approaching unless he gets fireball ability.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Generally, his mainstay approach can be a Bair, but it gets predictable and same with Fair.
Predictable =/= avoidable. I can predict DDD's grabs and Snake's ftilt, but that doesn't mean I won't be hit by them enough times to be at a disadvantaged position.

and luigi's Dair > kirby's dash attack. So kirby really has a hard time approaching unless he gets fireball ability.
Luigi and Mario are seriously even MUs for Kirby, I'm 100% sure about it. The battle might be on-stage for the most, but one of Kirby's fortés is getting the opponents offstage, high or low. Kirby can excel in more situations than Luigi can, like let's see... When both are offstage (Kirby has more aerial dominance), when both have high % (Kirby's bair and fsmash can kill, whereas Luigi only has fsmash), when the opponent is landing (fsmash has a long-lasting hitbox, enough to punish airdodge > land, or any aerial used when landing)... And let's not forget Kirby has better aerial AND ground movement than Luigi... His fireballs are a pain, though. Luckily, he has to get close sooner or later, and we can inhale them for projectiles of our own, and with our multiple jumps, we can camp with them better than Luigi can.

I'm sure I'm looking at the MU from a Kirby's perspective since I'm not listing Luigi's pros, just our pros and cons... Which is where Luigi mains come in. Is there anything that is relatively easy to get on kirby, anything we should watch out for? I know nair is a combo breaker, but what else is there that you KNOW helps the MU? Till then, I'm 55:45 Kirby.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I don't think getting Luigi's Fireballs would be a good idea. It's too much of a hassle with less of a reward since Kirby doesn't need it for this match up. Luigi is C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!! If you try to combo him, watch out for his N-Air and his D-Air, those things will break most of anyone's combos. Anyone try approching with F-Air before with Kirby? It's really useful, and less predictable, (I say that to everyone). =P

NNID
MasterHavik
You might be right Viper. But what do you think about SH hammers agaisnt weegee? I like the idea if try to keep the other guy on their toes.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You might be right Viper. But what do you think about SH hammers agaisnt weegee? I like the idea if try to keep the other guy on their toes.
It works, Luigi slides too far back if he shields to be able to do anything. And powershielding that is so hard... But it usually just ends up with Luigi shielding and sliding away, and no one getting hurt.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly I hate this matchup a lot. Luigi usually has to trade hits for any realistic hope of punishing Kirby's B-air if he doesn't powershield. Long ranged pokes like Kirby's F-tilt are also things that are very annoying to deal with.

Well, Luigi can get in sorta easily with cheap tornado baiting. Fireballs can occasionally, but rarely interrupt B-air camping. U-tilt and U-air juggles that end with sliding Up-smashes are pretty brutal for Kirby to deal with, but until I find a really good way to predict/punish/powershield Kirby's B-air, I'm pretty sure Kirby wins this matchup.

Anyhow however, both characters also want to focus on getting the other offstage, since they can edgeguard each other very effectively. Kirby has gimps with D-air and general good utility with B-air. Luigi has more situational gimps with D-air, but his D-air also has good KO power, and so do his B-air and N-air.

TrIkZ

Smash Cadet
Grab combos are pretty much useless with weegees nair.
so why don't we mix it up a little? instead of the regular fgrab uair fgrab uair fsmash ( sense basically everyone knows that one ) why not try fgrab uair Shield if you can predict his nair then do like a dgrab. But if he sees it coming get ready to get juggled around a little.

I don't think his fireballs would be much of a problem sense I'm guessing he will be power shielding a lot.
And taking his power would be useful if he camps alot. Im pretty sure we can camp better than Luigi too.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Grab combos are pretty much useless with weegees nair.
so why don't we mix it up a little? instead of the regular fgrab uair fgrab uair fsmash ( sense basically everyone knows that one ) why not try fgrab uair Shield if you can predict his nair then do like a dgrab. But if he sees it coming get ready to get juggled around a little.
He nairs us before we can uair, if I remember correctly. It's a much better idea to dthrow>utilt>bair, the hitstun allows us to.

warpd

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't you use the fireballs to pressure Luigi from being to mobile? Then again his tornado probably goes through fireballs so the best thing to do is spit him out.
If Kirby wants to string a lot of attacks on Luigi attacking him from his side and not underneath him would work out better.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wouldn't you use the fireballs to pressure Luigi from being to mobile? Then again his tornado probably goes through fireballs so the best thing to do is spit him out.
If Kirby wants to string a lot of attacks on Luigi attacking him from his side and not underneath him would work out better.
You can use his Fireballs to pressure, and screw up his movements to get your extra attack in. Luigi Cyclone is able to stop a Fireball if done at the right moment, (start up), but 75% of the time it would automatically stop, or he would just get damage and stop spinning. And yes, attacking Luigi from the sides is key on this match up due to most of Luigi's attacks that lack range, below and above would depend on what attack he's done, or is about to do. Attacking him from above is safer than below.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I dunno Luigi/Kirby is really even, and I think it goes in Luigi's favor on stages like Brinstar.

I'm not going to restate anything about grab combos or jab -> UpB that have already been said, since most of it has been correct. Soo... if you don't space your Bair properly you'll find yourself eating a hyphen smash. I've also been able to pivot grab behind kirby after a poorly spaced Bair before. You have the offstage advantage if you simply float over luigi and wait to Dair him out of tornado, and if they recover high camp with Bairs.

Uair ***** almost all of Kirby's options though, so you definitely don't want to be above luigi. Try and hang out on either side rather than above or below... Also on flat stages a luigi is going to fireball camp -> tornado until you make a mistake approaching, then you're going to eat a Dsmash or something.

I guess 55/45 Kirby favor except on stages where gimping is less of an option.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Luigi's aerial and ground speed don't really help out much... And if Luigi shields a strong aerial that's properly spaced, he'll slide back too much to be able to counterattack or shieldgrab... And powershielding Kirby's bairs is pretty hard, since it's pretty fast and used in many different situations, even in the air.

And Luigi above Kirby is not a good position either, considering Kirby's grab game. If you're landing with no jumps and you attack, we can shieldgrab you. If you're langing while airdodging, we can grab OR fsmash you (which will hit, due to fsmash's long-lasting hitbox). Either way, we on top of Luigi isn't as bad as Luigi on top of us.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Discussion is dead, so we're doing a new character now. Any input on the luigi matchup rating would be appreciated.

IMO, Pika is 55:45 in Pika's favor. I used to think it was 50:50, or maybe slightly in our favor since we had the advantage with Pika's power. However, that was before all of these chaingrabs, infinites and all that other stuff happened. Getting Pikachu's power and abusing it is definitely helpful in this matchup. Here's a list of things we can do with thunder jolt, from RK Joker's Guide:

Pikachu

Bzzzzt! One jolt, two jolt
Yellow jolt, blue jolt!
It's shocking what I can do!

B - Thunder Jolt

Now this Copy Ability can change the Pikachu matchup in Kirby's favor. It's actually REALLY good. The way it works is that Kirby shoots a bolt of electricity that crosses surfaces like a slinky. The Pikachu boards have quite a few uses for this technique, some weird, some just plain cool! I'll paste all of them. Now, Thunderjolt is an easily spammable move. It can do 9% if you make the ball hit in midair, or just are close enough to make the electricity never touch the ground. Otherwise, this move will do 6%. It's really fast, can force approaches, rack up damage and restore other moves. Also, with Kirby's multiple jumps, you can safely spam it from midair. You can perform a rising Thunderjolt by doing a full hop, then at the peak of the jump, jump again and press B. You lose no height in the performing of this technique, and it is very useful. You can keep doing this until your jumps run out then land, rinse, and repeat. You can also DI horizontally during this. Thunderjolt is excellent for spacing, approaches, stage control, getting safely back to the ledge, attacking those trying to recover, messing up someone's flow, pressuring, and much much more. It activates a bit earlier than 19 frames, I believe. It can flow into a Final Cutter, F-Smash, or possibly a D-Smash. This move is truly a beauty for chaining. As with Mario's fireball, staling it is not a concern, and allowing all of Kirby's moves to be fresh is just an added bonus. It goes a pretty far distance across the stage too. Excellent for cruel mindgames, forcing the opponent into doing something that they would regret. It can travel around a small platform multiple times, giving you that space as your own domain to spam more jolts.

Techniques Pikachu AND Kirby Can Perform Include:
(Replaced Pikachu with Kirby. Credit to the Pikachu boards' "Silverspark")

1) Pivoted Thunderjolt
Version A
a) Flick the control stick left or right (Kirby should dash then stop) then do a reverse Thunderjolt

Version B
a) Dash in one direction for awhile, then do a reverse thunderjolt on the ground. Kirby should immediately face the other way and do a Thunderjolt. (This may require practice)

2) Ledge Jolting

-I'm going to call the trajectory that the jolt makes as it goes from the top of the ledge to the bottom the Circle.
a) 1st type: Extended Circle - this one has the most range and looks like a full circle when it goes over the ledge
b) 2nd type: Regular Circle - this one has medium range and doesn't go over the ledge as far as the extended Circle.
c) 3rd type: Tighter Circle - this one has the shortest range. The Circle can be seen moreso on the stage than over the ledge. The Thunder Jolt should look more like a line than a Circle as it crosses the ledge.
d) 4th type: Thunder Ball - if you stand at the edge and fire a Thunder Jolt, a ball of lightning will come out that will have a diagonally-downward trajectory

3) Double Circle Jolt

a) To do this, you're going to need good positioning. I tested this on Battlefield, and, well, I'll describe to you where I did it:
b) I did it on the ground, facing the left. It was 1 baby step to the left of the bluish-purplish glowing circle (right outside of it). If you were Pikachu, his tail should be hanging in between the house-looking rock structure in background.
c) Spam a few jolts until you get it right. If done correctly, the Thunder Jolt will actually circle the ledge twice in nearly same spot before going down to the bottom of the stage.
d) It can be done on FD if you spam jolt in between the 2 arrows while facing the ledge.

4) Hanging Jolt

a) Pick a stage with a platform that moves sideways (for this example, pick Smashville)
b) Jump on top of the platform, and move slightly away from the edge (enough to where if you do a thunderjolt, it won't fly off of the platform in the form of a ball. The thunderjolt should land on the moving platform and end as soon as it touches the bottom.
c) As the platform moves in one direction (for example, to the right), face the left, and spam thunderjolt. If done correctly, instead of going touching and along the platform, the thunderjolt will make a circle in mid-air.
d) It's most effective when the platform has gained the most momentum (near the middle of the stage)

5) Ball Lightning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XjPO5GDrJI

This Copy Ability is simply beautiful.

Against Pikachu

Pikachu can force us to approach with his Thunderjolts, then Quick Attack Cancel as soon as we get in range to punish us for getting in range. However, upon receiving this power, the matchup changes. No longer will we have to approach. There are two reasons for this. One, we can safely spam them in mid-air. Two, our jolts are actually faster than Pikachu's. And his unique tricks with Thunder Jolt? Unique no more. A Pikachu's better matchups generally allow him to pressure the opponent into approaching or screwing up. It's an excellent move. But with this, we force the Pikachu to approach us. No doubt a Pikachu will attempt to stay out of Swallow range. Pikachu's aren't comfortable with approaching due to the very nature of their approaching options. But now we can punish them for approaching with a wide variety of moves. Many Pikachu's will expect their power to be taken, because it's so great. Watch yourself. And remember, for any of Kirby's Copy Abilities, just because you have the power doesn't mean you should use it unwisely. Go for a shocking comeback, and thread 3000 volts down Pikachu's spine. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. Bzzzt, Crackle, Pop, Your Enemies! (Last sentence to be read in the tone of "Snap, Crackle, Pop, Rice Krispies!")
That post is fairly old, so there might be new stuff, I don't know.

Discuss.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Well, I know pikachu's moveset fairly well, but I don't know nearly as much about kirby. So, I'll just give some of the things I generally try to do with pikachu, and you guys can discuss that.

So,

1) Pikachu's jolt
Yeah, one of pikachu's best tools. It can be used for camping, or to help approach (by full-hopping a jolt as you move towards the kirby) It can also be used while retreating to help the pikachu get a breather. When recovering high, I often send a few jolts to the stage to help out my landing.

2) Pikachu's grab game
I don't think Pikachu can CG kirby, even with the buffered grab, but pikachu does have some followups out of his grab. At low %'s, pikachu can F-throw to U-smash, and D-throw to N-air. I think Pikachu has the frame-advantage on these at low %'s, making them unavoidable. I'm unsure at what % they can be avoided at. As to other things pikachu can do with his throws, B-throw kills on walk-offs, and is great to toss an opponent off a ledge, U-throw sends an opponent high for juggling (or a thunder kill if they're careless), and D-throw is also a juggling setup at higher %'s.

3) Pikachu's Quick Attack
I don't know how good Kirby is at edgeguarding, but even MK's have trouble edgeguarding pikachu. Pikachu's quick attack has 2 jumps, and so can be used to go around almost any edgeguard. Add this to skull bash and pikachu's absurd ledge sweetspot, and you have a very difficult recovery to edgeguard.

And of course, there's the dreaded QAC. To the uninformed, this is pikachu quick attacking into the ground, which lets him immediately jump (this counts as his 2nd jump), and then do an arial/special move. He can also just immediately start an arial without jumping, but only D-air comes out, and only with its landing hitbox. Pikachu's QAC can lead to some awesome mindgames if used correctly. However, if the opponent keeps his cool, it is quite counterable, sometimes even with a kill move. (Once a Marth F-smashed me right out of a QAC...) However, that said, good pikachu's use it mostly when it is least expected to keep you off guard.

Also (as if that weren't enough uses), QAC can lock if you miss a tech. See http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238293 for an idea of what this is capable of. However, it is extremely difficult to do correctly, and only the best pikachu's will be able to perform it reliably.

4) Pikachu's air game

One by one here...

N-air: Pikachu's killing arial. This can get low % kills if used offstage, or can be used to end a u-air juggling combo. It is very quick to start up, coming out on frame 3, and does 12% if you're caught in it at startup. However, it has a fair bit of ending lag (and landing lag) if missed.

F-air: This can be used to juggle (although U-air is used more often in that regard), but is often used to start combos. When a fast falled F-air is used on a grounded opponent, pikachu has a frame advantage due to the hitstun outlasting the low landing lag. Follow-ups include grab, d-smash, u-tilt or perhaps a N-air. However, if you shield the f-air, and the pikachu lands in front of you, you are then able to shieldgrab.

B-air:
Probably the least used of pikachu's air moves, however, B-air has awful landing lag, and takes a while to do. However, startup and ending lag are pretty nice, and it tends to suck opponents in, before knocking them away with the final hit. It can be combo'd into from U-tilt or D-throw, but U-air/N-air is used much more often. Basically, this move is only thrown in once in a while to surprise you.

U-air:
My personal favorite, this is the primary juggling tool. It comes out on frame 3, does 4-6% damage and small knockback. This is often used to poke up at opponents standing on platforms above pikachu, and combo's into F-air, B-air, N-air, or even another U-air.

D-air:
This can be used out of a short-hop to punish shielded attacks, or as an unconventional approach. Landing lag isn't that great, but it has a landing hitbox that does 4% and pushes opponents back far enough that they can't punish. It doesn't have many other though. It takes the longest to start up, with frame 14 being the first hitbox.

5) Pikachu's Thunder
There are two main applications to this move, edgeguarding, and KO'ing. As far as the edguarding goes, the application is obvious, but pikachu has many different things to do with it, such as quintiple thunder (shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSlOCmR46A) and wavebounced thunder. As far as KO'ing goes, there's one main way to do it, and that is Thunder chasing Basically, U-tilt/u-smash sends the opponent high, and thunder finishes the job. My favorite way to KO.

6) Pika's ground game
A few things you need to know...

D-smash looks broken, but if you DI up, you'll DI out of it. However, it is still used to give pikachu some breathing room.
F-smash has the longest range, but takes a while to start up. It's a pretty powerful kill move if you're close in, but not so much if you're on the edge of the hitbox.
U-smash is also a kill move, especially when combined with thunder. It's faster than F-smash, but is still one of the slower moves in pika's arsenal.
U-tilt is another kill move, but only when thunder is used. It also sends enemies into a juggle, making it used often.
F-tilt does decent damage (10% at maximum) and comes out pretty fast, making it another move pikachu uses when he needs some breathing room.
D-tilt isn't really used that much, but it still has okay speed and damage.
Pikachu's jab isn't used too much either, but it comes out on frame 2 (and every 5 frames thereafter), and is pikachu's other locking move. (But only when you are at 70% or more)

Well, that's pretty much pikachu's moveset and what it's used for, so what can Kirby do to counter it?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'll write up my opinion when i feel like it... But for now, I'll just say that Kirby has an easier time killing than Pikachu in this MU. Definitely.

And, nope, Pika can't CG Kirby due to him being a lightweight. I've had people try, and I can escape it fairly easy... And Kirby can DI out of the dsmash real easy too, so "getting a breather" is a pretty good use for it in this MU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom