• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

Yubi

Smash Cadet
W/e. Even if you try to own in friendlies. The idea is to represent and do an excellent performance.

P.S. For everyone here, I'm gonna post a link to a thread in Puerto Rico's Smash forums. It's about our best melee player posting about how important it is to show your best and 100% potential when using a low tier character even if it doesn't includes winning at tournaments. I recommend that everyone who uses a low tier (specially Ness) reads it.

http://smashpr.com/forums/showthread.php?p=39087#post39087

Thanks

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I agree
The fact that it's this way is cool I just wish it was more balanced.
lol when I first got brawl it was nothing but me trying to L cancel and combo my opponents thinking that the 5 top tiers from melee still stood somewhere on the Tier list.But man was I wrong.
Also Since Brawls so much of a big community people tend to bite off of other peoples styles almost making me quit the game. But Ness had new costumes so i stuck through it :laugh:
It's just because Sakurai didn't play the games. He was all "Lets just put Ness in there again...oh he sucked in Melee make him a little less sucky...oh and give him a speech impediment and some stupid grab releases and infinite grabs against other characters k...hmm that doesn't seem like enough. OH LETS MAKE HIM EASILY GIMPABLE RIGHT?

ALSO LETS PUT IN TRIPPING GAIS!".

...*sigh* I'm just going to go play BBrawl now.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
No no no

YOU ALL HAVE IT WRONG..

Sakurai said let's add tripping so that ness won't get gimped. But if ness trips i don't care.

he forgot they could jump because the y and x buttons were taken out on the wii mote.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
No no no

YOU ALL HAVE IT WRONG..

Sakurai said let's add tripping so that ness won't get gimped. But if ness trips i don't care.

he forgot they could jump because the y and x buttons were taken out on the wii mote.

Yeah I too beleive that the game was nerfed abit for the wii mote players

NessBrawler

Smash Cadet
the wii-mote control is another attempt to make the game more family freindly I really didn't like this approach :demon: ...but i do like online playc and ness so... :lick:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Are we even discussing the matchup at all?

Oh, btw, Hi, I' Fragbait from Wichita Crew, I recently picked up Ness, nice to meet all of you!
Oh fun, did you go to NK2 then?

I don't think we're discussing him anymore, it should probably get changed soon.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If we're changing it, I demand a Yoshi rediscussion. That ratio is just so wrong as it is at the moment. :laugh:

It's also probably the only MU I can give decent contributions to. :urg:

Bartolon

Smash Lord
I can take over this topic I guess. I know alot about Matchups and I finally have the time to explain some things to people.
I have enough time (finally) to manage it.

And some suggestions about what needs to be changed and all would be nice!
And here are some questions for you guys ^^

How many week(s) when we discuss another char?
Do we start over again? Thus starting by MK again?
Shall we vote at the end of the MU discussion what the best arguments,tips and all were? So we can have the most important stuff quoted in the matchup.

My english isn't that great tbh, But I'll try to do the best I can.

Bartolon

Smash Lord
Listed in points? Can you explain the concept of it?

I guess I can quote the important stuff from that topic into this one (If I'll be accepted as the editor from this topic) . And make a summary of the information.

I shall do that tommorow =)

Thank you, It's appreciated.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
To be honest I disagree with a lot of what was said there. They assumed Yoshi would be approaching and taking the air when all he has to do is stay grounded and camp you. There was also no mention of usmash/Uair On Grab Release. D:

Valiant

Smash Rookie
Lucas cannot infinite Ness. All you need to do is DI back as you are released and time a spotdodge.

I would say Lucas is about 6-4 to Ness, Ness having the upper hand.

Try to stay in the air. Your aerials should outprioritize his tilts which surpass yours (minus dtilt). I wouldnt say his smashes are more useful though, just remember to be careful with spotdodge and rolling. Usmash is the situational 70% killing machine that could screw you up if you roll wrong, and neves spotdodge a dsmash.

Lucas' PKF can be absorbed of course, but you have to be a bit careful. Try to PSIM lag cancel whenver possible.

I would make some changes to the matchup list above also.
Wolf goes into heavy disadvantage.
MK also.
Squirtle to neutral.
Sheik to slight disadvantage
Snake also.
G&W to average disadvantage.
Charizard to heavy disadvantage.
Sonic, Lucario, and Icys to slight advantage.

I have some questions too. Why is ZSS a disadvanatge, and why are Wario and ROB so low?
Hey EB 360, i never found a video on how to PSI lag cancel, so if you can send me a link on how to do it or anything i would appreciate thanks

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Hey EB 360, i never found a video on how to PSI lag cancel, so if you can send me a link on how to do it or anything i would appreciate thanks
to do a psi magnet lag cancel, all you have to do is press down, right, left, OR jump right after you absorb something. pressing down will make you spot dodge, left or right will make you roll, and jump will make you jump :) it's easy

EDIT: you can also shield, usmash, or pkt out of it :)

and here's a vid, but it's not very good quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8uw5-b7e0s

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'd love a new match-up discussion.

How about we talk about Diddy Kong? I'd think it's fair to say this is a disadvantage.

I play with a really good Diddy Kong, and sometimes it's frustrating.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Xoxokev go everything u need 2 no. Except, I wasnt aware you could shield out of magnet. As far as I know, upon absorption, the PSIM acts just like a shield, so how can you shield out of it?

And I agree wif Yink. A good Diddy is a pain in the ath.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Wolf goes into heavy disadvantage.
MK also.
Squirtle to neutral.
Sheik to slight disadvantage
Snake also.
G&W to average disadvantage.
Charizard to heavy disadvantage.
Sonic, Lucario, and Icys to slight advantage.
Wolf isn't disadvantage.
Mk is 60-40
Squirtle.................is nowhere near even with ness. It's a big advantage
Sheik isn't slight, neither is snake.
Zard is 60-40

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Soooo...I sent a PM to Levitas asking to either change the MU or just let someone or himself make a new thread, seeing as this one is quite...dead. -_-

Does anyone want to start talking about Diddy Kong? :)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If I may make a suggestion for any new MU discussion:

Try making a different thread for each character and one main thread that has links to them all. This way, people can discuss one character for however long they'd like, and people may choose characters they are knowledgeable about to talk about. I recommend releasing about 3 characters per week so the boards aren't massed by like, 36 topics at once.

Kinda like this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221496

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
If I may make a suggestion for any new MU discussion:

Try making a different thread for each character and one main thread that has links to them all. This way, people can discuss one character for however long they'd like, and people may choose characters they are knowledgeable about to talk about. I recommend releasing about 3 characters per week so the boards aren't massed by like, 36 topics at once.

Kinda like this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221496
That doesn't seem like a bad idea Delta! I'd make one, but the only thing stopping me is if I did we'd have two matchup threads. I'd rather wait until Levitas replies to me.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Separate threads for each character match up is a good idea, as long as the main thread post the summary, and the other thread based on the character has all the info that needs to be known. Some boards have two or three people helping the match up thread that way.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Does anyone want to start talking about Diddy Kong? :)
I think Ness x Diddy is 40/60
But depending on the play style of the Diddy player it could be different maybe 50/50.

So if Diddy uses a lot of bananas and/or relies on them your best choice will be too just get rid of the bananas instead of keeping them in play. Also using bananas against him will be bad choice since just about every move Diddy does can pick them up plus they expect you to use them, so when you grab one and run away they get confuse.
The other thing is you can try to keep bananas in play so when Diddy tries to pull one out he won't be able to cause you can only have two projectiles out at the same time. A way to do this is put the bananas in a place where it may be hard for Diddy to grab or can be punish for it.
Smashville you can land the bananas on the moving platform, in FD put them on one of the sides pretty much see how Diddy moves around and drop bananas where he may have a hard time reaching.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Please note that the majority of my MU posts will be theorycrafting that comes from experience playing the characters, just thinking about what they'd do vs. Ness.

So, Diddy vs. Ness.

Two strategies here: Use the bananas against him or remover them from play.

If you're using the bananas against him, he's likely to pick them up since Diddy's moveset is PERFECT for banana control. I'm not sure how good Ness's banana control is, but I can't imagine it's very good. Ness's ground game is a bit lacking to work with them.

So the better strategy is to keep them out of play. There are a couple ways to do this. You can throw them off the cliff so he has to pick out new ones. You can also throw them into parts of the map you plan on defending or throw them up into the air. If the bananas run out so he can draw a new one, stay at midrange so you can punish it. Knock him away and keep the bananas out of his hands.

As far as dealing with the bananas goes, I guess staying in the air is beneficial. Ness has a good airgame, so that's not a problem. Just watch out for Diddy's banana tricks.

Edit: If we're doing the separate threads, tell me and give me 3 characters to discuss so the threads may be made.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
OKAY GUYS. Front page is up. It took FOREVER. ;_; ...

I'll split this into two threads tomorrow :)

As for right now...

We're currently going to discuss Diddy Kong! I'm going with the MU being 60/40, Diddy's favor.

EDIT: Okay Delta.

Game and Watch

Squirtle

Wolf

Also, Bartolon, would you like to help us? :) You seem like you'd do a good job.

Top Bottom