• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fino

Smash Master
Lol, people don't understand that using a character because of their "tier" and because of how good they are is different.

I use Meta Knight because he's amazing, but not because the tier list says so.
Yeah, of course he's top tier for a reason.

I use him for that reason, and not his position on the tier list.
Contradiction much?

Your first post was actually just completely ******** to begin with. Your second one is getting worse. Just stop.

~Fino

Noa.

Smash Master
My Matchup Overview

This list is composed with terms with specific definitions.
-An even matchup means that both characters share around an equal amount of weaknesses and advantages. The better plaery will always win and equally skilled players will go back and forth.
-Advantageous and disadvantageous matchups signify that a character has a significant head on a matchup. The better player will still always win, but between equal players the advantageous player will win almost every match, albeit closely.
-Unwinnable matchups are when a character completely shuts down the other. The advantageous character will always win, even if the other player is much better.
*All explanations assume that both players know the matchup

Unwinnable for other:
Zelda
Bowser
Sonic
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Samus
Link
Kirby

Advantage:
Pikachu
Mr. G&W
Lucario
Pit
Pokemon Trainer
Ness
Lucas
Fox
Ike
Mario

Even:
Snake
Diddy
Wario
Falco
King DDD
ROB
ZSS
DK
Sheik
Wolf
Toon Link

Disadvantage:
MK
Marth
Ice Climbers
Peach
Luigi

Unwinnable for Oli:
:)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I've never had trouble with Dedede and always thought that he was a pretty easy matchup for us. If I may ask, Draco, why do you believe that Dedede is even?

EDIT: Ooh, Llumys. You set yourself up so hard in the post you made after this one. It was tempting. :3

Noa.

Smash Master
The fact that DDD can get one grab and almost gurantee a gimp is pretty big in my opinion. He's not that hard to stop in regards to him approaching too. But maybe it is an advantage.

I don't feel too strongly about all the matchups I posted.

Llumys

Smash Champion
no u

Using a character 'cause they're good is different than using them because of their position on the tier list. I use him because of the reason he's top tier, which is because he's amazing.

I didn't contradict myself.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
DDDs ftilt spam is notorious as well, hey bob saget, where were u yesterday???

Can we discuss Wario next?
I didnt go, i posted that a while ago in the thread i coudnt go anymore. Thers an 80% chance of me going to LBT though. Ill probably be there.

Noa.

Smash Master
Llumys, you're just kinda being stupid.

I just played a DDD yesterday. I might think it's an advantage now. Still perfectably winnable for him though.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah it's definitely our favor, but not by too large of an amount. 60:40, if you would. As for the next matchup discussion, what does everyone think?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I say... Meta Knight.

Really.

But we should approach it from a different angle this time.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Lol.

If we actually do manage to discuss it properly, that's fine.

If no one's up for Meta Knight again, I think Zero Suit Samus, Toon Link, or Pit would be appropriate.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ummm...this post has made me realized something interesting...this is how matchup discussions go on oli boards:

ok, lets discuss snake, DISCUSSED, NOTHING CHANGES!

*half of olimars say they have diddy trouble* richbrown writes an essay on diddy,

next one everyone complains about MK, he is next to be discussed, all everyone says is camp and don't get gimped

after that, LETS GO SNAKE!!! *see first snake discussion*

random character is discussed, we actually make progress and never discuss that matchup again

MORE MK DISCUSSION!!!!!

diddy again!

snake for third time

and that is the story of how the oli boards pick matchups to discuss xD
[/COLOR]

called it

also...if we discuss MK again...i will write an essay that will solve fighting MK forever xD, cause im tired of this >_>

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Just bring back up the last MK Discussion thread. The discussion in that thread didn't completely die either. If you could give us a write up of what you know on it, Dabuz, that'd be great.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Thank you for saying exactly what I've been trying to say this entire time, dabuz. ^^

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Updated the first post with some matchup number changes. Lemme hear some opinions on what everyone thinks should be changed :D

Fino

Smash Master
Zelda - 70:30
Captain Falcon - 70:30
Ganondorf - 70:30

Jigglypuff - 65:35
Link - 65:35
Toon Link - 55:45

Bowser - 60:40
Charizard - 60:40
Donkey Kong - 60:40
Fox - 60:40
Ike - 60:40
Ivysaur - 60:40
King DeDeDe - 60:40
Kirby - 60:40
Lucario - 55:45
Lucas - 60:40
Mario - 60:40
Pit - 60:40
Pokemon Trainer - 60:40
Samus - 60:40
Sonic - 60:40

Neutral Matchups

Pikachu - 55:45
Zero Suit Samus - 55:45
Rob - 60:40
Yoshi - 55:45

Diddy Kong - 55:45
Falco - 50:50
Wario - 55:45
Ness - 50:50
Snake - 50:50
Wolf - 50:50

Ice Climbers - 50:50
Mr. Game & Watch - 60:40
Sheik - 45:55

Disadvantageous Matchups
Marth - 40:60
Peach - 40:60

Luigi - 35:65
dair camp + B-button - 35:65
Changes in red

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm, Fino don't you think that you should of put the changed ones in the areas where they belong because I don't think that a 60:40 ratio is a neutral match up. =O

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ok, because school/ life stinks ATM instead of writing an essay on this matchup...imma just condense my most important thoughts of how to play the perfect matchup into guidelines >_>

WHAT TO DO:

spam fsmash and grab at all times when not up close to MK...but be random with them (including with charging fsmashes and delaying grabs)...those two moves cover most approaches...forcing an approaching MK into a guessing game where we cover more than half his options with each move

if MK decides to approach by the air...there are 2 good guys to punish him, shield tilting stops tornado and leaves good punishments...and just in general you can run up and shield his dair and upair him OOS 100% of time

FOR FINO: B BUTTON AND DAIR CAMP IS BEATEN OUT BY USING SHIELD THE PUNISH

abuse yellow priority...until about 90% its always good to have yellows

if you must side-b never jump to do it

be aggressive with moves in the air (instead of whistling and airdodging, using nair, fair, and dair)

whistle the last hit of nado...i used to for a while when i fastfalled through it but never realized you could DI the tornado into whistling the last hit(someone explain how this is done) very very powerful punish move and scares MK into not using tornado

if MK is in the air and you are not sure if he will attempt to airdodge an upair or upsmash, nair will destroy any airdodge attempt 90% of the time

shielding MKs on ledge above you=free upsmash, if MK is knocked off an edge while shielding he is one of the characters that cannot do anything in the falling animation until he hits the ground or falls for more then 2 seconds about

you can dair MK out of his two good recovery moves...up-b and side b...learn the timing and do it

DON'T DO:

shorthop/ fullhop side b, in that time frame MK can get right up to olimar and destroy him in so many ways

do any action forcing you closer to an edge, that includes things like pivot grabs (which is almost useless in this matchup)...you are just giving up space and telling the MK he can slowly force you to the edge with pressure/ time

shield/ roll/ spotdodge/ airdodge, MK has too many good ways to punish all these moves and often its a high risk ----low reward manuever with better options

let MK get close to olimar...if he does be creative because it is literally a 50-50 guessing game at this point

NEW SECTION: METAKNIGHTS ****ING TORNADO D:

ok, MK's tornado is gay...we know that...now...its something that really gives him an advantage over us because its a pressure tool...so...im gonna compile a section of how to counter it, its the only thing that really makes this matchup from close to even to disadvantage IMO

ways to beat out tornado:

UP-B anywhere on tornado
yellow fsmash at bottom of tornado (tested and 100% true and practical)
nair at top of tornado
purple side b into tornado

cancel out tornado:
some tilts (IDK, ill figure out later xD)

punish tornado (not inside tornado yet):
tilted shield up...even though an unfull shield can still be poked if they move on and off the shield during tornado...so...watch out for that trick, BTW, if they start running away during the tornado then your going to be forced to run and grab when they land, otherwise they can tornado again and your shield won't hold, also, on the landing a common mix up im seeing now is they can UP-B to beat out the grab or anything to punish, try to predict and shield the up-B, if you do MK will be in a position directly above you mid glide

if the MK doesn't run away, assuming you shielded the whole tornado your best bet is to dsmash so you don't do an attack in one direction when he falls to the other direction

punishing the tornado (inside the tornado): surprisingly with really good DI there are ways to escape (to be put in later when someone explains how exactly your supposed to DI)

stages to CP (in order of personal preference):

Castle Siege
YI
FD
Halberd

common MK CPs and how to fight on them:

RC...probably the easiest one to fight him on...the boat has locks and perfect distance for our fsmash/ grabs on left side...right side is evil, otherwise always make the attempt to stay below MK when the stage is rising, which is do able, pendulum=stall and make rush to get to next part first, watch out for up throw gimps while rising or falling stage areas

Frigate: riskiest stage to fight him on...i ban this on MK now because its the worst stage for us in this matchup, the first part obviously stinks because spawning on right side is a nightmare, left side leaves us open from a quick approach first part of stage isn't right size or structure to play a good fsmash/ grab ground game, especially in phase 2 because the high part is next to an edge, the dip is the only part in this matchup where i advise using pivot grab...his running grab can beat out our regular grab while in that dip otherwise, but his other approaches are very limited

brinstar: this entire stage is a battle to get the other person above us and be as gay as possible with out aerial techniques, if we get above him we probably die, if he gets above us since we can run about the same speed he moves in air we can definitely keep him aerial and kill him as well, watch out for him fast falling dairs, they can put us in the aerial position very fast, also be aware of the tornado onto a weird ramped part where we can't grab him, this entire match will be us using our upair, nair, upsmash, and up-b

Disclaimer: all these tactics are a by product of dabuz not wanting to discuss MK again, there are exceptions to all these ideas, these are just general tactics proven to be highly effective...if you disagree I DON'T GIVE A ****!

*sighs* ok, done, i hope this isn't too stupid xD

Noa.

Smash Master
Dabuz you're amazing. Some of them I already found out but there's some good **** there. Your efforts are greatly apreciated.

Noa.

Smash Master
Dabuz you just keep getting better with the info. I feel that the tornado is what makes the matchup a disadvantage too. If it weren't for that, it would be even.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Wow. I didn't expect the Frigate ban.
Good stuff, dabuz.

EDIT: On another note, wasn't Marth discussed thoroughly in an AIM/YIM chat a long time ago? Was any of that posted somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom