• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
oh, you can also footstool him out of his double jump for an instant gimp, if you see the opportunity go for it, but don't focus on it when eh's offstage will get you killed. ALSO, if they are egg camping you when you are on the edge, you can jump whistle nair anything he can do, unless he expects that and pivot grabs him. i whistle the egg and nair before he can throw another

Noa.

Smash Master
So what matchup are we going to discuss? The last top tiers we need to discuss are Wario, DDD, and MK. The rest of the high tiers would be Marth, Ditto, ROB, and Icies. Some other good matchups to discuss would be Peach, Luigi, and ZSS.

Greward

Smash Lord
I need some help against ICs. Im just getting ***** by them and im picking random characters like wolf to play against them, i cant do anything with olimar, their desynched blizzards and chaingrabs are horrible lol

I dont find yoshi as a really difficult character for olimar, ive played both burntsocks and zudenka offline, i had some problems against zudenka but when i realized how to play the matchup it wasnt so difficult. his DJC egg lay beats our pivot grab, but we can easily stop it with an Fsmash for example, while his nair / bair approach is beaten by pivot grab. His jab is incredible, its like peach's, sometimes they jab cancel into down B to kill and if we are landing he will pivot grab us. Yoshis pivot grab is awesome lol.
He usually spams eggs on the ledge so just go away or perfect shield them, if he tries to outcamp us with egg throw he will just get *****. Egg roll shouldnt be a problem, we can grab or fsmash it. His main killing options are Uair, Fsmash and Usmash, all of them difficult to land on olimar.
If yoshi puts his shield on... just wait him to roll or put it off to usmash him for example, his shield is horrible lol. Yoshis usually spam spotdodges, so charge the smashes. If he egg lays you, dont mash buttons while your in the egg because u will pull off while doing some attack and he will follow it with uair or another egg lay.

Fino

Smash Master
I need some help against ICs. Im just getting ***** by them and im picking random characters like wolf to play against them, i cant do anything with olimar, their desynched blizzards and chaingrabs are horrible lol
Stay just in the range where they can't grab you, but are also too pressured to try to desync.
Also mash the yellow thing on the bottom right part of your controller....

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Matchups I feel are important to discuss:
MK, Wario, ICs, Peach, Luigi, Shiek (yeah, i said it)

I think we should get two or three of those discussed next before we go to any other character.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
it sucks to know hat if it weren't for gimping, then Oli would be the 2nd best character in the game.

I have some tips on Olimar vs ICs, I'll reveal them if we go into match up discussion.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
just like to note those matches are invalid because my whistle didn't come out fast enough every time off stage because of wifi >_< also, wifi

edit: not to say he wouldn't win otherwise, he read me perfectly and mains oli, just apparently picks up MK to fight olimars, even though his MK plays almost identical to kisizzle now that i think about it...

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
If MK tries to gimp us with Shuttle Loop, it's too easy for us to whistle it on reaction, land beneath him, and punish his vulnerability with up smash, up air, fair, whatever. On wifi? Yeah right. By the time we see the SL come out, it's too late to react to it. We have to predict it intstead. So yeah, it's cool, dabuz.

Fino

Smash Master
Gimping a good olimar doesn't happen frequently in the match up.
if you are dying any other way other than a gimp then the mk isn't doing it right. pretty much.
I heard richbrown doesn't get gimped by mk ever.... I just wish he's post vids up ._. he supposedly has one of the best oli recovery mix-ups in the mk MU

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Well, what matchup should we discuss next, guys? As I said in my post awhile ago, I'd rather discuss MK, Wario, Marth, Luigi, and Peach (and possibly Ice Climbers and Shiek) before we move to another character. What does everyone think?

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i only get gimped by like 1/3 of the time, not too bad. but uhhhh i say we discuss mk since we always talk about him, or TL/wario

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
My vote is for Marth and Wario since Yoshi's advantage was explained by Icy.

EDIT: Instead of discussing more of the same, I change my vote to D.K.

RichBrown

Smash Master
With recovering just attack or whistle, try not to airdodge too much, fastfalling a dair is amazing if they are coming at you from an angle. It's a pain but it's not too hard. Just look at the angle they are approaching and try to understand their motive.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Lets discuss MK then. Everyone wants to talk about it.

New discussion is Mk.
Doesn't everybody talk about MK all the time? Forever? T_T

EDIT: Not complaining if the board generally wants to discuss MK, just confused about why we keep rediscussing him. My apologies for phrasing that like I own the board or something.

Noa.

Smash Master
We haven't redicussed him since Hilt has restarted the thread anyway. That's a long time in my book. We have mini discussions about him, but it'd be nice if there were a place with all mk info amassed.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
We need Hilt to make the thread
I don't think hilt has to make the thread. You guys need to pick it up a little bit. Olimar supposed to be one of hte better characters in the game yet there's two match ups done on him and one of which is against a meaningless low tier. Step it up guys how people supposed to learn olimar if they don't have any way to reference towards for his match ups. Snake and mK should have been the first two done followed by Wario and Falco diddy kong and d3. Then After that discuss the A tier some of the Btier then do the Peach and Luigi match up. Then that should pretty much be it. That's just how I see it.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
imo should just do all of our negative matchups first, in which luigi/mk etc. would all be first discussed

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
imo should just do all of our negative matchups first, in which luigi/mk etc. would all be first discussed
Na no one cares about bad match ups. If someone wants to use Olimar as a back up against like snake or d3 they wouldn't even know where to start. I also find it interesting that you guys feel as if the MK match up is **** in his favor and MK feels as though they have a slight advantage. You should put up characters match ups of more played characters. Like no offense to Ness but I really don't care about the ness match up and you guys have it done already. Do match ups that people are more likely to see in tourneys. Start with the S teir then work your way down.

This may just be my view but I want to pick up olimar for match ups that I struggle with as Wario and when I come to the olimar boards because I see that he has a good match up vs snake and d3. I don't even see any reason behind it then when I play a snake it's just like ftilt *****. So I think it'd be better to start with the good characters then work your way down. Hell do the STeir characters then do whatever after that.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
snake is 50-50, and d3 the good ones can usually keep up pretty well because of his gimping capabilities on olimar.

and, the MK matchup IS **** in his favor. just most mk mains are morons and think spamming will work, if you ever fight a good mk who knows how to fight olimar it's almost impossible

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
snake is 50-50, and d3 the good ones can usually keep up pretty well because of his gimping capabilities on olimar.

and, the MK matchup IS **** in his favor. just most mk mains are morons and think spamming will work, if you ever fight a good mk who knows how to fight olimar it's almost impossible

What makes these match ups this way? I thought the whole Olimar gets gimped thing is over.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
What makes these match ups this way? I thought the whole Olimar gets gimped thing is over.
not vs. mk, 2 frame attacks is faster than spamming WAC

and his tornado goes through everything we do. so if he stays outside of out grab range area, and waits for us to either sideb or attack, he can get a free tornado. and, not to mention, if he SH ff airdodge over our grab and buffer any move we can't stop it from happening

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
not vs. mk, 2 frame attacks is faster than spamming WAC

and his tornado goes through everything we do. so if he stays outside of out grab range area, and waits for us to either sideb or attack, he can get a free tornado. and, not to mention, if he SH ff airdodge over our grab and buffer any move we can't stop it from happening
I thought oli had moves that beat nado out ?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I don't think hilt has to make the thread. You guys need to pick it up a little bit.
hahaha!

Olimar supposed to be one of hte better characters in the game yet there's two match ups done on him and one of which is against a meaningless low tier.
You're either new to the oli boards or haven't been here very much, so I'll explain things for you. The Olimar Board died awhile ago. In an event to pick everything back up, and after realizing that most of the matchups were outdated, and I took over the matchup thread. We've since done five matchups, not two. Still a small number, but less of an insult than you tried to make. The "meaningless low tier" you're talking about, Ness, was a test. I wanted to see how the Oli Boards could handle picking up another matchup discussion, since some of the others didn't go as well. It was our first time putting the matchup discussion in another separate thread, our first time focusing as much as we did on counterpicks/bans, and our first time putting small thought into how well specific pikmin do against our opponent. Also, I personally believe Olimars should know how to deal with a ness. It's not a matchup you can go into without knowing the character and come out on top. You'll notice other tests I made. We did Pikachu and Diddy at the same time, following Ness, to see how well doing two at once would work. It didn't, so we ended up going back to one matchup at a time.

Step it up guys how people supposed to learn olimar if they don't have any way to reference towards for his match ups. Snake and mK should have been the first two done followed by Wario and Falco diddy kong and d3.
Going along with my above point, the Olimar Boards wouldn't have been able to Then After that discuss the A tier some of the Btier then do the Peach and Luigi match up. Then that should pretty much be it. That's just how I see it.[/QUOTE]As I stated above, the Olimar Boards were in bad shape. Doing that wouldn't have worked.

Na no one cares about bad match ups. If someone wants to use Olimar as a back up against like snake or d3 they wouldn't even know where to start.
What are you talking about? Our main goal isn't to help that Marth player that needs a snake counter. Or that DK that needs something to deal with DDD. Our main objective, as of now, is to build up our own metagame, and learn/discuss our difficult and/or hard matchups.

This may just be my view but I want to pick up olimar for match ups that I struggle with as Wario and when I come to the olimar boards because I see that he has a good match up vs snake and d3. I don't even see any reason behind it then when I play a snake it's just like ftilt *****. So I think it'd be better to start with the good characters then work your way down. Hell do the STeir characters then do whatever after that.
I apologize for you not getting the information you were looking for. That's for the most part my fault, I'll admit.

I thought oli had moves that beat nado out ?
From specific, exact positions.

New Matchup Thread goes up today. Sorry for the wait, everyone.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Na no one cares about bad match ups. If someone wants to use Olimar as a back up against like snake or d3 they wouldn't even know where to start. I also find it interesting that you guys feel as if the MK match up is **** in his favor and MK feels as though they have a slight advantage. You should put up characters match ups of more played characters. Like no offense to Ness but I really don't care about the ness match up and you guys have it done already. Do match ups that people are more likely to see in tourneys. Start with the S teir then work your way down.

Who do you think you are? You don't own this forum.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
hahaha!

You're either new to the oli boards or haven't been here very much, so I'll explain things for you. The Olimar Board died awhile ago. In an event to pick everything back up, and after realizing that most of the matchups were outdated, and I took over the matchup thread. We've since done five matchups, not two. Still a small number, but less of an insult than you tried to make. The "meaningless low tier" you're talking about, Ness, was a test. I wanted to see how the Oli Boards could handle picking up another matchup discussion, since some of the others didn't go as well. It was our first time putting the matchup discussion in another separate thread, our first time focusing as much as we did on counterpicks/bans, and our first time putting small thought into how well specific pikmin do against our opponent. Also, I personally believe Olimars should know how to deal with a ness. It's not a matchup you can go into without knowing the character and come out on top. You'll notice other tests I made. We did Pikachu and Diddy at the same time, following Ness, to see how well doing two at once would work. It didn't, so we ended up going back to one matchup at a time.

Going along with my above point, the Olimar Boards wouldn't have been able to Then After that discuss the A tier some of the Btier then do the Peach and Luigi match up. Then that should pretty much be it. That's just how I see it.As I stated above, the Olimar Boards were in bad shape. Doing that wouldn't have worked.

What are you talking about? Our main goal isn't to help that Marth player that needs a snake counter. Or that DK that needs something to deal with DDD. Our main objective, as of now, is to build up our own metagame, and learn/discuss our difficult and/or hard matchups.

I apologize for you not getting the information you were looking for. That's for the most part my fault, I'll admit.

From specific, exact positions.

New Matchup Thread goes up today. Sorry for the wait, everyone.
If you want to build up the metagame then wouldn't taking about the more played characters at tourney make sense? I wasn't trying to come off as rude or anything I apologize if I did. You guys don't need to cater to me either this maybe the only boards who doesn't have a write up of MK that just seems like a priority to me. I haven't been here to often I just come every know and again to see if you guys have any new match ups ups. So I don't know the state the of the oli boards.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
meta game has nothing to do with specific matchups, but we prefer to discuss matchups that give us the most trouble rather than following the tiers

from what i've seen, most chars we counter always chose a char that counters us anyways, like marth luigi, falco, mk and peach

imo, discuss these first, then move on to the wider played chars that are closer to even, like diddy falco lucas ness pika peach etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom