• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GPX Presents: A&G Cincinatti Ohio! March 13/14. $500 SSBB bonus. M2K++

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Animation and Gaming!

OFFICIAL A&G WEBSITE!

Hey guys, as some people know I was hired by GPX to help expand their name into Smash so that we can have amazing tournies with great bonuses all around the country. I will be here running this tournament, so come show some love Midwest!

GPX is providing 15 TVs for the weekend with 15 wiis for Melee+Brawl on their respective days. On March 12th (Friday) there will be a free tournament for sponsored prizes (TBA) , so if you want to warm up feel free to participate in that.

When:

No pot tourney: March 12th

Pot tournies: March 13th+14th

March 13th: Brawl
March 14th: Melee

Where:

Holiday Inn East Gate
4501 Eastgate Blvd
Cincinnati, OH 45245
(513) 752-4400

Price+Bonus:

There is a $500 bonus added to Brawl Singles. This will be paid out on top of the entry fee pot. Payouts will be as follows:

Payouts based on # of entrants (melee+brawl):

<20: Top 3
20-30: Top 4
40+: Top 5 (5th+6 will play it out for money)

Melee Singles: $10
Melee Teams: $10/person
Brawl Singles: $10
Brawl Teams: $10/person

Rules:

Melee:

•4 stock
•2/3 sets
•3/5 semifinals+finals
•8 minute time limit
•Items off
•Ties broken by lives, then %
•Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
•Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing allowed
*Wobbling Banned
*Disqualification Rule: If you are LATE to a set and need to be disqualified, there is NO DISQUALIFYING TO LOSERS BRACKET. Play by the rules and be on time, the tournament is 24 hours open and in a hotel, so no excuse to be late!!! I know there was some controversy at *Pound* so i'm making the rule VERY clear in this post.

COMMUNICATION WITH TO'S IS A MUST!!!

*Pound* 4 Ruleset. Stages listed here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost....postcount=5744

One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.

Modified DSR: You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player.

The player choice clause!:: If both players agree to a rule outside of my ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.

Any questions please contact me via PM or AIM, but as of now the stage discussion here is OVER, and so please do not spam the thread with that. I'm trying to compromise best for everyone.

Brawl:

-3 Stock
-8 Minute Time Limit
-Items are set to "off" and "none"
-All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, with the aforementioned Finals sets being best 3/5 games.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
-50 ledge grab limit for singles.
-Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab, Marth on Ness grab-release, etc
-Ice climber infinites are LEGAL up to 250%
-Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock): If a suicide move ends a match, the match will be reset with 1 stock each to both players on the same level. Time limit will be set to 3 minutes. Both players technically died at the same time, and that is why the match was a draw. Play out the one stock, and the winner wins that match.
-Players using a Wii-mote to play must take their batteries out when not playing. We can't be having wii's be interrupted because someone made a mistake. I will be enforcing this heavily, and there will be penalties if people do not obey.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Kasht's Doubles Edgegrab Rule: No more than 100 edgegrabs per team per match or the specific game is forfeited.

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium
-Castle Siege

Stage striking for first match.

Additional Rules for Doubles Play:
-Life Stealing is allowed
-Team attack will be set to ON
-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
-Chibo's Color-Blind Rule: If a player on a team is playing Lucario, Sonic, or Pokemon Trainer, either team can request for them to be Blue Team and the opponents must abide. If both teams have one of the characters, they must work it out between them.

Plank Aim: Dream Thieve
Plank Email: Coliemailhere@yahoo.com
Plank Phone: 301-788-8085

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
First post saying I am aware there are tournaments the same day and there is nothing we can do to change that, sadly. GPX runs their tournaments at big conventions and has the supplies to support smash as well so there isn't much we can do as date far as date changes go. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and only hope the best for the community and all TO's alike.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I'll be assisting plank and gpx with this event. I should be bringing a few special guests with me.

(provided my boss gives me off work!)

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
I'll be assisting plank and gpx with this event. I should be bringing a few special guests with me.

(provided my boss gives me off work!)

Oh Tantalus Im a happy camper if we have you for this one too...will make Planks life easy as well...^^

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Where is all this **** coming from?

Cincy always gets great midwest showing. I'm sure this'll be awesome.

Kel

Smash Master
woah no need for the ledge grab limit. That stuff is scrubtastic.

I wont' argue about the stages but changing the metagame is worth mentioning.

Kassandra and I planned on going to this though.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Im just trying to use the standard stageset. We almost always have ledgegrab limits, and what is different about the stagelist? o.O

Kel

Smash Master
Ledge grab limits aren't exactly standard. They aren't in the BBR recommended rule set and they actively change the meta game by rewarding certain play styles and hindering or removing others (ie pit NEEDs the ledge to fight Snake).

I won't argue about the stage list because that's not that big of a deal, but the LGL is uncalled for.

Fino

Smash Master
MW:E is used to PTAD and custom stages

*inb4massivelyliberalstagelistcomplaints*

on another note... this'll probably severely hurt NKV3 attendance, but neither can change date. *sadface* Looks like each tournament's $500 bonus just got easier =D

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
MW:E is used to PTAD and custom stages

*inb4massivelyliberalstagelistcomplaints*

on another note... this'll probably severely hurt NKV3 attendance, but neither can change date. *sadface* Looks like each tournament's $500 bonus just got easier =D
I don't think we've had PTAD legal for a good year now, let's not exaggerate fino :p (though it may have been legal once at a tournament in Athens.

Also I don't think this'll hurt NK at all, seeing as how they're several states away lol

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
well hmmm... of all people.... I obviously dont care about the ledge grab limit. whatever the region prefers the most is what i will do.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Ledge grab limits aren't exactly standard. They aren't in the BBR recommended rule set and they actively change the meta game by rewarding certain play styles and hindering or removing others (ie pit NEEDs the ledge to fight Snake).

I won't argue about the stage list because that's not that big of a deal, but the LGL is uncalled for.
Yeah that's a good point. I can't even imagine fighting Falco as Peach without using the ledge.

Kel

Smash Master
Falco is the biggest controversy. He excels at every aspect of the game on the stage, so many find it easier to just get on the ledge. Problem solved. With a LGL you're essentially rewarding Falco players by saying their form of camping (running away and shooting lasers all day/ CGing at low percents) is ok, but someone saying "screw your horizontal barrage" and getting on the ledge to combat that is bad.

Many argue "but MK is unbeatable if he planks." To this I say "then ban the character, not the game mechanic." If the character is so ridiculous that you need to alter your rules (and therefore meta game) to make him playable, just remove him and be done with it. It's a surgical change to remove MK, it's a global change to hinter the ledge.

Kel

Smash Master
Falco is the biggest controversy. He excels at every aspect of the game on the stage, so many find it easier to just get on the ledge. Problem solved. With a LGL you're essentially rewarding Falco players by saying their form of camping (running away and shooting lasers all day/ CGing at low percents) is ok, but someone saying "screw your horizontal barrage" and getting on the ledge to combat that is bad.

Many argue "but MK is unbeatable if he planks." To this I say "then ban the character, not the game mechanic." If the character is so ridiculous that you need to alter your rules (and therefore meta game) to make him playable, just remove him and be done with it. It's a surgical change to remove MK, it's a global change to hinter the ledge.

Suyon

Smash Lord
So....I have to pay for badges and then I have to pay for entrance for singles and doubles? Is the badge only for access to the dealer's room? I only remember that they checked if I had a badge or not when I accessed to the dealer's room.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
Badges are for access to the entire convention. There are sections (like hallways) that you have access to for the event without technically being in the convention, so A&GO focuses security at specific points.

Vendors Room
Main Events
Panels
Gaming

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
So....I have to pay for badges and then I have to pay for entrance for singles and doubles? Is the badge only for access to the dealer's room? I only remember that they checked if I had a badge or not when I accessed to the dealer's room.
Erm. That sounds pricey. :X

Fino

Smash Master
I don't think we've had PTAD legal for a good year now, let's not exaggerate fino :p (though it may have been legal once at a tournament in Athens.

Also I don't think this'll hurt NK at all, seeing as how they're several states away lol
They're on the same day, and we've gotten several requests for housing from mn, il, mi, ect... why bother driving down to kansas when there's a lot closer tournament with the same reward ;o

Not complaining... I'm assuming m2k will be at this tournament since ally already got flight tickets to nkv3... either way we're all fighting for second :p

EDIT: PTAD has been legal at every mwe tournament I've went too (even though it was changed like 20 minutes before the tournament started I think, it's been so long @.@)... and I know for a fact you guys still use customs ;o
lol <3 hilt

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Dont forget guys this is an entire convention. There are tons and tons of games and you can be there all weekend (friday-sunday) for smash.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but there's nothing i can do sadly. I saw that and was like =[

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Ohio has very few Melee players. Don't expect a lot of people for it unless they're traveling a ways.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Cool cool, im glad we made the bonus for brawl then!

edit:: would u guys prefer brawl saturday or sunday? its up to u really.

we have 15 full setups for the whole weekend on legit TVs so if many melee dont show up we can even do brawl both days with side tournaments one of the days for fun/$5 or something.

low tiers, random tournies, etc, since to get in for even one day you get access to the whole weekend.

lemme know, im willing to work with whatever you guys wanna do!

sixpod

Smash Rookie
M2K will be at this tournament, there was actually a different thread at first and he confirmed his attendance. *awesome!*
Plank your the man and let me know if there's anything you need from the convention or GPX and we'll get it worked out asap.
As far as the prices. pre-reg is only $25 for the entire weekend of the convention. We run 24/7 game rooms, events, panel rooms never close.
A&G Ohio and GPX agreed to take 0 Cut of the entry money as well as offer the $500 bonus on the tourney, and as Plank said there are tons of other tournaments going on not just pay based.

Hope to see everyone in Ohio in 21 days!!

Big_R

Smash Champion
how weak same day as smym. im travelling 6 hrs to that.

Different days isn't gonna help when i have a 6 hr ride.... A different weekend would help...

oh well smym is legendary me and likely cok and all of columbus gotta pass this up. (speakin for anyone good at melee in cbus that is)

and ur losing bigd and he lives right there!! gah... im pretty sure he will still go to smym. man how incredibly weak :(

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
I dunno about that ledgegrab limit... might be a bit hard to track... but other than that, looks like fair enough rules.
Better than SugoiCon, anyways. Free-for-all four player matches, time limit, no stock. x.x A lot've us tourney***s didn't like that one. :|

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
It's not hard to track the ledge grabs... The amount is in the results after the match is over...
and I'm all for the ledge grab limit... a lot of other nationals are doing it as well... So i don't suggest changing it....

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Any more opinions on ledgegrab limit? I think it should stay in place IMO

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
I dunno about that ledgegrab limit... might be a bit hard to track... but other than that, looks like fair enough rules.
Better than SugoiCon, anyways. Free-for-all four player matches, time limit, no stock. x.x A lot've us tourney***s didn't like that one. :|
Yus. Sugoicon Brawl tournament was really disappointing.. Which just ended up playing Smash back in our hotel room. x-x

Agreed with Y.b.M, though! I'm not coming but like there really isn't a problem with the ledge grab rule. Just some people complain about it, but still end up going to the tournaments, anyhow and they still get big turnouts. The rule really doesn't take effect unless it's timed out and you went above the grab limit. Which barely happens~!

Top Bottom