• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda's Matchups: Let's Get Tactical ~

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Seeing as we haven't touched this in a while, I would like to move onto another matchup. I would like to move onto the Pit matchup. I don't even know if it's in our favor. I'm not even sure if I'm approaching to win in the matchup properly. If anything, if we can get onto this and get done with soon, the better.

That being said, can we do Pit?

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Seeing as we haven't touched this in a while, I would like to move onto another matchup. I would like to move onto the Pit matchup. I don't even know if it's in our favor. I'm not even sure if I'm approaching to win in the matchup properly. If anything, if we can get onto this and get done with soon, the better.

That being said, can we do Pit?
Nothing above E tier is in Zelda's favor.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i would be all up for doing pit. alot of times when i fight one i know the basics of dealing w/ camping characters, but not much specific to pit that could make the matchup easier for me to play.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
On the OP, shouldn't we switch our MK ratio switch to something higher than G&W's seeing as he's our worst matchup? I think GW is 25:75 IIRC.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Doesn't matter much since they're both bad lol. All the ratios need to be fixed prob. x.o

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
nair is such an underated move... it is GREAT oos (probably zelda's best oos option), has decent KO potential, and can be used to edgeguard people thanks to its super armor frames

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I bet you also use it to KO Dedede at 50!

On the OP, shouldn't we switch our MK ratio switch to something higher than G&W's seeing as he's our worst matchup? I think GW is 25:75 IIRC.
What's a realistic difference between 20:80 and 25:75? Colours are more blunt at identifying the threat of a character so when I update this (which I will in the new year I promise =p), I'll likely use colours over numbers, and we only need 3!

Dark Red, Red and Yellow :awesome:

Can we make lists as to what we all think of Zelda's matchups? Let's get an updated collective opinion to mark the end of 2011! I'll start off!

Meta Knight: super death
Snake: heavy disadvantage

Diddy Kong:
Falco:

Wario: heavy disadvantage
Marth: disadvantage
Ice Climbers: disadvantage

Olimar: super death
Pikachu:
King Dedede: even
Mr. Game & Watch:
Lucario:
Zero Suit Samus
Toon Link
Kirby: disadvantage
Fox:
R.O.B.:
Pit:

Peach: disadvantage

Donkey Kong:
Luigi:

Wolf: I.HATE.HIM

Sonic: disadvantage
Ike: disadvantage
Sheik: disadvantage

Ness:
Pokémon Trainer:
Yoshi:
Lucas: even
Mario:
Bowser:
Captain Falcon:
Samus:

Jigglypuff: even

Link: disadvantage

Zelda: double rainbow across the sky

Ganondorf: even

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Wario heavy disadvantage ? really?

nair is such an underated move... it is GREAT oos (probably zelda's best oos option), has decent KO potential, and can be used to edgeguard people thanks to its super armor frames

wait nair has super armor frames?????????? WTF......

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I'll use: Heavy Disadvantage, Disadvantage, Light Disadvantage, Even, Light Advantage.

Meta Knight: Disadvantage
Snake: Disadvantage
Diddy Kong: Light Disadvantage
Falco: Disadvantage
Wario: Light Disadvantage
Marth:Light Disadvantage
Ice Climbers: Even
Olimar: Heavy Disadvantage
Pikachu: Light Disadvantage
King Dedede: Light Disadvantage
Mr. Game & Watch:Heavy Disadvantage
Lucario: Light Disadvantage
Zero Suit Samus: Light Disadvantage
Toon Link: Light Disadvantage
Kirby:Light Disadvantage
Fox: Light Disadvantage
R.O.B.: Light Disadvantage
Pit: Light Disadvantage
Peach: Light Disadvantage
Donkey Kong: Light Disadvantage
Luigi: Even
Wolf:Light Disadvantage
Sonic: Disadvantage
Ike: Light Disadvantage
Sheik:Light Disadvantage
Ness: Light Disadvantage
Pokémon Trainer: Even
Yoshi: Even
Lucas: Even
Mario:Even
Bowser: Light Advantage
Captain Falcon: Light Advantage
Samus: Even
Jigglypuff: Even
Link:Even
Zelda: Even
Ganondorf: Light Advantage

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I'll go next lol.

MK: Solid Disadvantage
Snake: Solid Disadvantage
Diddy Kong: Disadvantage
Falco: Solid Disavantage
Wario: Disadvantage
Marth: Slight Disadvantage
ICs: Disadvantage
Olimar: Solid Disadvantage
Pikachu: Slight Disadvantage
D3: Even
Mr. G&W: Solid Disadvantage
Lucario: Slight Disadvantge
ZSS: Disadvantage
TL: Disadvantage
Kirby: Disadvantage
Fox: Disadvantage
ROB: Even
Pit: Slight Disadvantage
Peach: Disadvantage
DK: Even
Luigi: Slight Disadvantage
Wolf: Slight Disadvantage
Sonic: Disadvantage
Ike: Even
Sheik: Disadvantage
Ness: Even
Squirtle: Disadvantage
Ivysaur: Slight Advantage
Charizard: Even
Yoshi: Slight Disadvantage
Lucas: Even
Mario: Even
Bowser: Even
Captain Falcon: Slight Advantage
Samus: Slight Disadvantage
Jiggs: Even
Link: Even
Zelda: LOLWUT?
Ganon: Advantage

This is our opinion right? My opinion on our MUs is kinda radical at times so.......meh. *Expecting some sort of WHAT reaction*

EDIT: I wish I could use colors from my phone lol. That'd take forever! :awesome:

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I guess 50:50 is even
40/45:60/55 is light disadvantage
30/35:70/65 is disadvantage
and anything worse is heavy disadvantage

got ninja'd lol, this was for mine =P

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
No that's all fine Scary! I think the more we all share about how we feel the current metagame is playing the better it is for us.

I feel as if Wario is a heavy disadvantage because I can't hit him, and he seems to always poke at me and then I feel like smashville's balloon when I get knocked afar because he baits and punishes me with uair, which I find devastating in this MU. I think there are situations where you can dtilt his aerials and then he's like WTF DO I DO in which you can capitalise with a grab or whatever, but those are few and far. I find pivot grabs to be quite helpful too at times. Anyone got any advice?

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
You both just play chicken and footsie with each other until one of you screws up, and then that one get's punished. Make sure it's not you...

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
You both just play chicken and footsie with each other until one of you screws up, and then that one get's punished. Make sure it's not you...
Pretty much this.

Wario is evil if he plays with the intent to time out but if you get a hold of him, make him feel it. Nair is good and if I'm not mistaken, jab is actually pretty good in this MU.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I like the expression chicken and footsie :awesome: I normally try to camp a mixture of bairs/fsmashes/and strategic random dairs against Wario but I find his aerial movement allows him to evade and counter all these easily, and then I get overwhelmed. I must work on my offstage strategies against him!

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No that's all fine Scary! I think the more we all share about how we feel the current metagame is playing the better it is for us.

I feel as if Wario is a heavy disadvantage because I can't hit him, and he seems to always poke at me and then I feel like smashville's balloon when I get knocked afar because he baits and punishes me with uair, which I find devastating in this MU. I think there are situations where you can dtilt his aerials and then he's like WTF DO I DO in which you can capitalise with a grab or whatever, but those are few and far. I find pivot grabs to be quite helpful too at times. Anyone got any advice?
Nair jab dtilt fsmash you can keep him out pretty decently. Usmash if he tries to AD through you. Mix it up but I suggest a heavy use of nair.

I like the expression chicken and footsie :awesome: I normally try to camp a mixture of bairs/fsmashes/and strategic random dairs against Wario but I find his aerial movement allows him to evade and counter all these easily, and then I get overwhelmed. I must work on my offstage strategies against him!
I normally just throw Din's at him while he's off stage. It knocks him off the bike so it forces them to recover on the stage. But nair is the move you want to be using with spacing and jabs also and dtilts are good also.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I tend to use a lot of fair or bair (whichever I don't plan to save for the kill) against Wario. Nair too. He's never on the ground long enough for a strong ground game, and usmash is too laggy/lacks the mobility of aerials. :ohwell:

Gotta try more jab tho.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Meta Knight: disadvantage
Snake: disadvantage
Diddy Kong:
Falco: disadvantage
Wario:
Ice Climbers:
Olimar: put controller down and walk away
Pikachu:
Mr. Game & Watch: punch the other player and walk away
Lucario:
Zero Suit Samus:
Toon Link:
Kirby:
Fox:
R.O.B.:
Pit: slight disadvantage
Peach:
Donkey Kong:
Luigi:
Wolf: even
Sonic: even
Sheik: slight advantage
Ness: even
Pokémon Trainer:
Yoshi:
Mario:
Bowser: advantage
Captain Falcon:
Samus:
Jigglypuff:
Link:
Zelda: even
Ganondorf: advantage

For Oli and GW, the matchups are THAT bad. For the missing ratios, I just haven't played enough/don't know the matchup at all.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I tend to use a lot of fair or bair (whichever I don't plan to save for the kill) against Wario. Nair too. He's never on the ground long enough for a strong ground game, and usmash is too laggy/lacks the mobility of aerials. :ohwell:

Gotta try more jab tho.
I only use Usmash if he tries to air dodge through it or if he goes for a dair. But I found nair to be very effective against him. Same with jab and dtilt.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Diddy Kong:
Falco: disadvantage
Wario:
Ice Climbers:
Olimar: put controller down and walk away
Pikachu:
Mr. Game & Watch: punch the other player and walk away
Lucario:
Zero Suit Samus:
Toon Link:
Kirby:
Fox:
R.O.B.:
Pit: slight disadvantage
Peach:
Donkey Kong:
Luigi:
Sonic: even
Sheik: slight advantage
Ness: even
Pokémon Trainer:
Yoshi:
Mario:
Captain Falcon:
Samus:
Jigglypuff:
Link:
Zelda: even

For Oli and GW, the matchups are THAT bad. For the missing ratios, I just haven't played enough/don't know the matchup at all.
Zelda does not go even with that many characters. And she certainly does not have the advantage against Sheik.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I've been able to test the landing on pit (with farore's wind). if it is used directly above him it will go through the up smash and hit him. but if its done a little bit to the left or right it will clash with his up smash, then its a "whoever can get a faster hit in".

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Olimars are so hard to hit. There is like no way to get to them. G&w is too powerful. Their forward smash kills very early. I rely on down smash all the time for these two.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Zelda does not go even with that many characters. And she certainly does not have the advantage against Sheik.
Isn't this a collection of how we personally think Zelda does against the rest of the cast? I'm just posting my opinion on it. This list isn't perfect (hence the missing ratios), trust me.

And now that I look at it, yea, Sheik > Zelda.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Diddy Kong: even
Falco: even
Wario: even
Marth: even
Ice Climbers: even
Olimar: disadvantage
Pikachu: advantage
King Dedede: slight advantage
Mr. Game & Watch: slight disadvantage
Lucario: advantage
Zero Suit Samus: even
Toon Link: slight disadvantage
Kirby: advantage
Fox: even
R.O.B.: slight disadvantage
Pit: even
Peach: even
Donkey Kong: advantage
Luigi: even
Sonic: annoying
Ike: advantage
Sheik: advantage
Ness: advantage
Pokémon Trainer: advantage
Yoshi: advantage
Lucas: advantage
Mario: advantage
Captain Falcon: advantage
Samus: annoying
Jigglypuff: advantage
Link: advantage
Zelda: annoying

Zelda MU's. IMO.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
On a side note, I just found out that when Mario is U-tilt juggling us, we can Neutral B it to escape it as well as to inflict damage. I'm hoping this works out against other chars as well (Lucario U-tilt comes to mind on that one).

I'm not sure if this is really helpful but I thought I would mention it regardless.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
On a side note, I just found out that when Mario is U-tilt juggling us, we can Neutral B it to escape it as well as to inflict damage. I'm hoping this works out against other chars as well (Lucario U-tilt comes to mind on that one).

I'm not sure if this is really helpful but I thought I would mention it regardless.
That's if you time the invincibility frames right, it works for pretty much anything.
You can beat Snakes forward smash if it's timed right.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It works as a mixup, but eventually they'll bait it and punish. So be careful. =X

Fuujin

Smash Champion
It works as a mixup, but eventually they'll bait it and punish. So be careful. =X
Not to mention the timing is incredibly strict.
You have like 5 frames of invincibility and the opponent has 30 to punish you if you miss.
Nayru's would be so much better if the ending lag wasn't ridiculous.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Zelda's a beast.
I know right I'm glad you're finally starting to see it my way.

Al you need to play better players.
It's a paradox if I play a better player and lose it won't be because of Zelda but because of the difference in our skill level. However if I beat a good player it won't be because of my skill level or the MU but the lack of knowledge on that person part. So it's hard to attempt to put the theorycraft into practice sorry =/.

Top Bottom