• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM: Stage Banishment and Reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
But Why Can't I Play There?
A Guide to Stage Banning in SSBM

Introduction:
I've thought about writing this guide for the last year but it was only recently that I actually found the motivation and inspiration to do it. It is important to realize that stage banning in the SSBM tournament scene hasn't had a defined practice or even any universal rules. Frequently, a tournament host will simply ban a stage because they feel, for an inexplicable reason, that it is unbalanced, or unfair. For this reason I will color the names of each stage either Red or Yellow, depending on the concreteness of the stages explanation. It is also important to understand a little bit about positioning in Smash, that is, when you have a lead, your are never forced to attack, you can instead choose to run or camp. This attribute leads to many problems with certain stages, as you will soon find out.

Red: A stage marked with this color is one that has a universally accepted reason.
Yellow: A stage marked with this color is one that has never had a fully explained (written) reason for its banishment. As such, I have given my own explanation for their bans.

Defensive Player: Player who has a small percentage lead and can therefore not attack (by choice).
Offensive Player: Player who is losing by a small percentage and therefore most attack because not doing so would result in losing the game by percentage tie breaking.

Before we get into why each stage is banned, it is important to note what would happen if the stages weren't banned. Frequently, take the case of Hyrule Temple, if we had left this stage unbanned then essentially the only viable character match up on the stage would be Fox versus Fox (there may be a few exceptions, but not many). The tournament level play would devolve into the same character match ups over and over, and more importantly (because of advanced slob picks) who had won their previous match would be forced to choose Fox if Hyrule Temple was chosen as the next stage by the loser, as any other character would mean a free win for the opponent. You may ask then: why not ban Fox on these stages? Well, then another strategy comes up that could be very similar. If Fox is banned, then quickly Captain Falcon or Falco become the only playable characters on the stage. Such logic also works with stage banning, though not as much, but as you'll see many of the stages were banned for the same or similar reasons, yet for some (odd) reason other stages with similar properties remain unbanned (view: Corneria). With that said, lets jump in.

Past Stages - Yoshi's Island (64) (banned ~2002-2003)
Inherent Flaw(s): The far right cloud.
Reason: Highly unfair positional advantage for defensive player.
Broken Tactic: Fox’s short hop or full hop laser spam. Followed by a retreat to the stage upon any characters close approach (usually once said character has fully committed himself to the far right cloud).

Hyrule Temple (banned ~ 2002-2003)
Inherent Flaw(s): It’s “circle”, so-to-speak.
Reason: Faster characters may simply run when a lead is gained. This could be Ness over Bowser or Kirby over Donkey Kong, for instance.
Broken Tactic: Fox can shoot a laser at the start of the match and run away for the remainder, uncatchable by almost every other character.

Termina - Great Bay (banned ~ 2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): It’s “circle”.
Reason(s): Some faster characters may simply run when a lead is gained.
Broken Tactic(s): Fox or Falco may laser camp one side of the stage, than simply run safely to the other upon the offensive players approach.

Lylat System - Venom (banned ~ 2004-2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): The divide through the center
Reason(s): Moderately unfair positional advantage for defensive player
Broken Tactic(s): Debatable, but theoretically certain characters like Marth or Peach can grab a lead and never relinquish it because the offensive player will always take more damage upon approach than he will be able to dish out in return.

Mushroom Kingdom - Princess Peach's Castle (banned ~ 2006)
Inherent Flaw(s): The divide through the center.
Broken Tactic(s): Debatable, but theoretically certain characters like Marth or Peach can grab a lead and never relinquish it because the offensive player will always take more damage upon approach than he will be able to dish out in return.
Personal Reason for Opening the Stage: The bullet creates several openings during the game in which the camper must relinquish his position. If the losing, offensive player simply waits for the openings, he should be able to make up whatever percentage lead he had previously lost (ideally he would only be down small percentages).

Eagleland - Fourside (banned ~ 2003)
Inherent Flaw(s): The divide through the center and the spaceship
Reason: Moderately unfair positional advantage for defensive player and unreasonable camera zoom during certain moments.
Broken Tactic: Debatable, but theoretically certain characters like Marth or Peach can grab a lead and never relinquish it because the offensive player will always take more damage upon approach than he will be able to dish out in return.

Planet Zebes - Brinstar Depths (banned ~ 2004)
Inherent Flaw(s): Random stage movement.
Reason: At certain moments there exist highly unfair positional advantages for the defensive player and at other moments there exist unforeseen advantages for the offensive player.
Broken Tactic: None - simply that one player is rewarded for a position they may have never worked to attain because the offensive players hand is eventually forced by the stages rotation (the alternative to not fighting is either taking an even worse position or committing suicide). In addition to this, sometimes a player’s weak combo, is aided randomly by the stages movement, unpredicted by both the offensive and defensive player.

Infinite Glacier - Icicle Mountain (banned ~ 2004)
Inherent Flaw(s): Random stage movement.
Reason(s): At certain moments there exist highly unfair positional advantages for the defensive player and at other moments there exist unforeseen advantages for the offensive player.
Broken Tactic: None - simply that one player is rewarded for a position they may have never worked to attain because the offensive players hand is eventually forced by the stages rotation (the alternative to not fighting is either taking an even worse position or committing suicide). In addition to this, sometimes a player’s weak combo, is aided randomly by the stages movement, unpredicted by both the offensive and defensive player.

Yoshi’s Island - Yoshi's Island (banned ~ 2004-2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): A walk off edge and an extremely low ceiling.
Broken Tactic: Debatable, but theoretically Fox can laser camp the mountain, then, upon the offensive players approach, decide whether or not to grab back throw. In addition to this, the walk off edges allows waveshining to devastate the opponent, and finally, if those weren’t enough advantages for Fox, the low ceiling greatly aids his up air and up smash.

Eagleland - Onett (banned ~ 2006)
Inherent Flaw(s): Walk off edges and a “circle”.
Reason(s): Slightly unfair positional advantage for the defensive player and the ability for a character to run from one end of the stage to the other, usually without being caught.
Broken Tactic: Fox laser camping one side of the stage behind a building, then running upon approach. To make matters worse, Fox can also waveshine people to death because of the walk off sides and can infinite shine them using the sides of the buildings as walls (though this does get interrupted because of the cars).
Personal Reason for Opening the Stage: The cars give fair warning of their approach and you can use this to your advantage. Any small percentage lead a Fox player gets can be nullified when they are forced to flee their defensive position upon the cars approach. A wise player can use this opening to even the match.

F-Zero Grand Prix - Big Blue (banned ~ 2004-2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): The road and the car placement.
Reason(s): Slightly unfair positional advantage for the defensive player and low percentage death’s caused by the road.
Broken Tactic: None - The road is the main gripe with the stage, as most of the positional problems eventually get resolved back to an even playing field if you’ve memorized the stage movement and know when and where to move about (be patient).
Personal Reason for Opening the Stage: You can tech the road, although the stage is inconsistent and sometimes even when you do tech it, you end up dying anyways. I feel the stage was banned to soon and could have had more play time, as no single character really stood out (although shining opponents off a car with Fox is annoying).

Superflat World - Flat Zone (banned ~ 2003)
Inherent Flaw(s): Walk off edges, falling tools, and extremely low ceiling and close walls.
Reasons(s): Moderately unfair positional advantage for the defensive player, and, in addition to this, the tools can combo a character from zero to death without warning (so they cannot be predicted).
Broken Tactic: It’s debatable, but aside from positioning, Fox’s waveshine can also lead to easy low percentage kills.

Mushroom Kingdom (banned ~ 2004-2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): Walk off edges.
Reason(s): Slightly unfair positional advantage for the defensive player.
Broken Tactic: It’s debatable, but aside from positioning, Fox’s waveshine can also lead to easy low percentage kills.

Mushroom Kingdom II (banned ~ 2004-2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): Walk off edges.
Reason(s): Slightly unfair positional advantage for the defensive player.

DK Island - Kongo Jungle (banned ~ 2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): The claptrap and the rock to the right of the stage.
Reason(s): The claptrap can kill at random and the rock can create a slightly unfair positional advantage for the defensive player.
Broken Tactic: None.
Personal Reason for Opening the Stage: You can see the claptrap coming from far away, so even though it isn’t set on a timer it is easily avoidable. The rock argument is actually made less defensible when you consider the claptrap will force the defensive player out of their position at least a few times each match.

F-Zero Grand Prix - Mute City (banned in teams ~ 2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): None.
Reason(s): Potential lag on the stage when there are many characters performing different attacks, possibly caused by the computer attempting to keep track of the cars and their locations around the stage.

Dream Land - Fountain of Dreams (banned in teams ~ 2005)
Inherent Flaw(s): None.
Reason(s): Potential lag on the stage when there are many characters performing different attacks, possibly caused by the computer attempting to correspond character movements with their reflections in the water.

How does all this relate to Brawl? Well, take a look at the stages in SSBM and what was banned, and then think about what some of the properties of the known stages in Brawl.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I can't count the number of times I've read posts from people in this room wondering why certain things are banned in SSBM and how it will all work out with Brawl.

Xeno: You wouldn't be able to defeat me on any of these stages. Period. Not because I'll do anything skilled persay, but simply because, like on Yoshi 64, I'll laser camp, run away when you come to the cloud, the cloud will disappear, you will fall to your death, and the process will repeat. Even if you don't die, you'll be stuck on the far right cloud while I'm safely, and still, laser spamming you from the main stage. There is nothing you can do to win unless you want to pick Fox or Ness, but even so its risky, one mistep, 2% damage, and thats the game.

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
I can't count the number of times I've read posts from people in this room wondering why certain things are banned in SSBM and how it will all work out with Brawl.

Xeno: You wouldn't be able to defeat me on any of these stages. Period. Not because I'll do anything skilled persay, but simply because, like on Yoshi 64, I'll laser camp, run away when you come to the cloud, the cloud will disappear, you will fall to your death, and the process will repeat. Even if you don't die, you'll be stuck on the far right cloud while I'm safely, and still, laser spamming you from the main stage. There is nothing you can do to win unless you want to pick Fox or Ness, but even so its risky, one mistep, 2% damage, and thats the game.
lol if you wanna call that a win thats fine by me, i don't require such tactics, but if your still sure of that we can put it too test on Dec 3rd :3

Still though, i don't see why stages should be banned like this becouse of some people who's idea of victory by any means including such pitifull tactics. It's rather funny :laugh:

If somebody used stuff like that on me, i don't care what the ending screen said, thats a Loss for the winner, but, anything for a win i guess right?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

Exactly, these stages are tournament banned because they can be easily abused in an unfair way.

Tournament rules aren't meant to hassle you or change the way you play, they just meerly represent the most agreed upon method of play between the players with the most skill.

Its so that you won't be ''gayed'' out of your prize money by something as ridiculous as fox laser spamming then running away the whole match.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Your missing the whole point. Why would I fight you in an actual match when I know I can net a victory using these tactics? Remember, in the tournament scene, ties in stock are broken by percentage. It's the same in a fight for life and death. It may not be honorable if I bring a gun in a fight where everyone has knives, but in the end, I'll be the one who lives.

www.sirlin.net, read his playing to win articles.

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
Your missing the whole point. Why would I fight you in an actual match when I know I can net a victory using these tactics? Remember, in the tournament scene, ties in stock are broken by percentage. It's the same in a fight for life and death. It may not be honorable if I bring a gun in a fight where everyone has knives, but in the end, I'll be the one who lives.

www.sirlin.net, read his playing to win articles.
A game to life and death is a bad comparison. Anyways i know what your saying, i just think it's funny that people need stuff like that too win, i mean, it's a game. It's still stupid too me, besides, i find it hard too believe people can get away without being touched

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sirlin said:
The derogatory term “scrub” means several different things. One definition is someone (especially a game player) who is not good at something (especially a game). By this definition, we all start out as scrubs, and there is certainly no shame in that. I mean the term differently, though. A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win.

Now, everyone begins as a poor player—it takes time to learn a game to get to a point where you know what you’re doing. There is the mistaken notion, though, that by merely continuing to play or “learn” the game, one can become a top player. In reality, the “scrub” has many more mental obstacles to overcome than anything actually going on during the game. The scrub has lost the game even before it starts. He’s lost the game even before deciding which game to play. His problem? He does not play to win.

The scrub would take great issue with this statement for he usually believes that he is playing to win, but he is bound up by an intricate construct of fictitious rules that prevents him from ever truly competing. These made-up rules vary from game to game, of course, but their character remains constant. Let’s take a fighting game off of which I’ve made my gaming career: Street Fighter.

In Street Fighter, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” This “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub. Performing a throw on someone is often called cheap. A throw is a special kind of move that grabs an opponent and damages him, even when the opponent is defending against all other kinds of attacks. The entire purpose of the throw is to be able to damage an opponent who sits and blocks and doesn’t attack. As far as the game is concerned, throwing is an integral part of the design—it’s meant to be there—yet the scrub has constructed his own set of principles in his mind that state he should be totally impervious to all attacks while blocking. The scrub thinks of blocking as a kind of magic shield that will protect him indefinitely. Why? Exploring the reasoning is futile since the notion is ridiculous from the start.
More on this: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/intermediates-guide/introducing-the-scrub/

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
lol if you wanna call that a win thats fine by me, i don't require such tactics, but if your still sure of that we can put it too test on Dec 3rd :3
Sigh how many people have posted that now? A million?

WHEN BRAWL COMES OUT, YOU'LL SEE! YOU'LL ALL SEE!

I even found a few youtube comments from mr ''Brawlpro'' (no joke thats his name on youtube and here) about how Ken is cheap for chaingrabbing bombsoldier and winning.

Because of course just standing there and letting yourself get SHL'd and Pillar'd is a great idea, right? Nope. :)

Anyway, if you think I support laser spam and running away and doing that kind of ******** gay stuff to win, I don't actually even I have to draw the line somewhere. But luckily the stages that are abusable are banned in tournaments, there are still PLENTY of good ones that are allowed.

I play banned stages with my crew at times too, no one's gonna stop ya :p same in friendlies. But tournament matches should do their best to have fair rules wherin the game of smash is a contest of skill and the winner is rewarded, not luck.

haha, lol @ the scrub article. Ive posted that way too many times for my own good on this section. It's too accurate... XD

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
A game to life and death is a bad comparison. Anyways i know what your saying, i just think it's funny that people need stuff like that too win, i mean, it's a game. It's still stupid too me, besides, i find it hard too believe people can get away without being touched
Have you seen the size of Hyrule?

You can run in circles around the stage... combine this with the fact that Fox is the fastest char out there, and you have a broken tactic.

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
Fine fine lol, i'm just saying i think it's rediculous that people use methods like this too win, I have nothing against anybody here and what not, and i know lots of other stages are still avaliable. I just think that all the stages should be playable, but people should have at least some respect for the game, the match, and their opponent. To fight as hard as they can. If someone uses stuff like that, i'd just kick them out of the tournament lol. but thats just me.

and yeah, you got $5000. Somebody using stuff like that sure does deserve it XD and besides, if all levels are selectable, who says you'll get a circle stage every time? if thats your only tactic, and you end up elsewhere, your screwed, but if you can use that tactic your always gonna end up on a "cheap" stage apparently

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Also, in Hyrule you can just stay in the bottom area, and it will take forever to kill you because you just bounce off the walls..

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Xeno: you need to read up more about the tournament scene. You get to choose levels if you lose. Therefor, these levels are either automatic wins, or bogged down Fox versus Fox matches (not all the levels, just some of them like Yoshi 64).

And Chi: While its an annoyance with the stage, it wasn't really a broken or bannable tactic, so living to huge percentages actually had nothing to do with banning the stage many, many years ago.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
That's another advantage casual players have. Unless there's a bet going on, we don't have to abuse every trick in the book. We don't have anything riding on our victory other than "WTF! I got Rest-ed to death...aww..."

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Fine fine lol, i'm just saying i think it's rediculous that people use methods like this too win, I have nothing against anybody here and what not, and i know lots of other stages are still avaliable. I just think that all the stages should be playable, but people should have at least some respect for the game, the match, and their opponent. To fight as hard as they can. If someone uses stuff like that, i'd just kick them out of the tournament lol. but thats just me.
That makes a lot of sense, A lot of people share your reasoning about kicking someone with that kind of strategy out of the tournament (that Ive talked to anyway)

But the thing about tournaments is.. how many are you going to enter? Sure they have specific rules and stages and what not, but usually when you play smash it's not going to be at a tournament and you can play any way you choose..

which is why I dont understand (if I can rant for a sec) The hordes of newbie players and scrubs that invaded these forums as of late with their spam and their hate. They act as if the tournament style of play is being forced on everyone, and that because the most skilled smashers play a certain way that ALL of them look down on other playstyles and whatnot.

The thing is, an active competitive player with anything over 6 - 12 months of competitive practice can beat pretty much any non competitive player by his or her own rules... items on it doesn't really matter.

Tournament play changes how you play the game to the point where it goes beyond how many stocks you have and purely into the realm of controlling the situation and beating your opponent according to his or her actions and his or her DI.

you'll die eventually, and your opponent will bounce off walls as well.
Wallteching. Can't do it? GG on hyrule. Another reason why that stage is banned, walltech city even an average player like myself could survive up to over 500 percent with wallteching if I stayed on the bottom of hyrule.

That's another advantage casual players have. Unless there's a bet going on, we don't have to abuse every trick in the book. We don't have anything riding on our victory other than "WTF! I got Rest-ed to death...aww..."
Ah that's not an advantage though. ''WTF" is a good factor to eliminate from your game by not rushing in too much and THINKING about what you're doing

1.dashdance / do other stuff at a distance. WATCH YOUR OPPONENT
2.Intimidate your oponnent with some shffls, or more dashdancing, maybe a few JC grab attempts.
3. Once you find a situation you can abuse, kill your opponent, with whatever combo corrosponds best to the situation and follows his DI.

So yah, its hardly an advantage not playing to win and being suprised by attacks, its the opposite XD

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
Xeno: you need to read up more about the tournament scene. You get to choose levels if you lose. Therefor, these levels are either automatic wins, or bogged down Fox versus Fox matches (not all the levels, just some of them like Yoshi 64).

And Chi: While its an annoyance with the stage, it wasn't really a broken or bannable tactic, so living to huge percentages actually had nothing to do with banning the stage many, many years ago.
I know i know, i don't get many decent tournaments near me, all of them have like, massive amounts of people, so the first round or 2 is all 4 player battle royale, which i'm not really fond of. Anyways i didn't mean to cause a rucuss. Just hearing about people using stuff like that kinda bums me out

BigRick

Smash Master
It's not an advantage since if you face sum1 that uses every trick in the book you lose.

Like Dylan says, a hardened vet that has 1 year of tourney experience will automatically beat a ''scrub'' items or not because he has seen so many things, and he has been able to find tactics to deal with em

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
That makes a lot of sense, A lot of people share your reasoning about kicking someone with that kind of strategy out of the tournament (that Ive talked to anyway)

But the thing about tournaments is.. how many are you going to enter? Sure they have specific rules and stages and what not, but usually when you play smash it's not going to be at a tournament and you can play any way you choose..

which is why I dont understand (if I can rant for a sec) The hordes of newbie players and scrubs that invaded these forums as of late with their spam and their hate. They act as if the tournament style of play is being forced on everyone, and that because the most skilled smashers play a certain way that ALL of them look down on other playstyles and whatnot.

The thing is, an active competitive player with anything over 6 - 12 months of competitive practice can beat pretty much any non competitive player by his or her own rules... items on it doesn't really matter.

Tournament play changes how you play the game to the point where it goes beyond how many stocks you have and purely into the realm of controlling the situation and beating your opponent according to his or her actions and his or her DI.

Wallteching. Can't do it? GG on hyrule. Another reason why that stage is banned, walltech city even an average player like myself could survive up to over 500 percent with wallteching if I stayed on the bottom of hyrule.
Yeah i know wallteching lol, anyways dylan i understand. I don't try too exclude Competitive play, i just want everything to be accepted, i know some people, who becouse of tiers, abandonded their favorite characters just so they could be better. I dunno, some stuff just gets too me.

BigRick

Smash Master
Yeah i know wallteching lol, anyways dylan i understand. I don't try too exclude Competitive play, i just want everything to be accepted, i know some people, who becouse of tiers, abandonded their favorite characters just so they could be better. I dunno, some stuff just gets too me.
That's just the way life is.

It's like a football team... the slower and weaker guys don't get picked.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Dylan brings up an excellent point: essentially, that the tournament players have to much experience with to many different opponents to lose to someone simply because they play with items. I'll bring up an example from myself.

I've been attending Smashboards tournaments since 2003-2004, so I have a ton of experience. My personal problem is that I don't really have a drive to become the best, so while I always do well, I never do great and will usually finish in the top half -top quarter at a tournament.

Last February though, I went to a non-smashboards tourney. There were 94 people there and it was held in a Library. I had gone with 3 of my other friends who were all somewhat new to the Smashboards scene (about 6 months). The first three rounds of the tournament were FFA, with only top 2 advancing. Worse, it was stock FFA. I chose Peach, ran away each match, each time someone challenged me (making it 1v1), I easily defeated them, so each person in each FFA learned that if they wanted that 2nd spot they would be best off just leaving me alone. My 3 other friends all made top 8, along with 2 of their friends who also playing somewhat competitively. Things finally switched over to 1v1 (with items still on), and I still ended up winning without ever breaking a sweat (link was the most used character at the tournament, I would have to say).

My simple point is, items, FFA, it didn't matter, I was superiour in all forms simply because I had gotten to such a level in my 1v1 game that any none of the random factors could overcome the other players skill deficits.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yeah i know wallteching lol, anyways dylan i understand. I don't try too exclude Competitive play, i just want everything to be accepted,
Which is a good attitude to have :) Like I said, when you play friendlies or with your friends its awesome to mix it up and play these oh so forbiddin ''banned'' stages, without having to resort to gayness just to get the win. :laugh:

i know some people, who becouse of tiers, abandonded their favorite characters just so they could be better. I dunno, some stuff just gets too me.
That's not because of Tiers. That's because they didn't want to spend the extra time learning a lower tier character because believe it or not some of the low/mid tiers can really, really own in a match.

whilst tiers exist, player skill IMO is the deciding factor.

I fully encourage everyone, however to play all the top characters in the game if they want to enter a tournament, or at least understand how fox/falco/marth/sheik/peach/falcon/samus work, because these characters are very very often used, and can kick the CRAP out of you.

I personally play Fox/Falco/Falcon

I CAN play shiek/marth but don't care for them much, and while I don't understand peach I do know how to fight her.

A good samus will give anyone problems... T_T

Takalth

Smash Ace
To fight as hard as they can. If someone uses stuff like that, i'd just kick them out of the tournament lol. but thats just me.
It's a little old, but I thought I'd address this.

The hardest part about this is where to draw the line. It's easy with an obvious abuse (fox hits you with a laser and runs the Hyrule circle for 8 minutes), but it gets more difficult if they play honorably for part of the match. Where do you draw the line between cheap camping tricks and good mind games? Do you ban a fox player who only runs the Hyrule Circle 2 or 3 times when the match is almost over? etc.

Besides a major conflict every time you suggest banning somebody, it also completely removes the option for the host to play in a tournament (which most do in smaller scale ones) because it creates a conflict of interest.

Yes, it's true that people should just play honorably, but it's not the world we live in.

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
I fully encourage everyone, however to play all the top characters in the game if they want to enter a tournament, or at least understand how fox/falco/marth/sheik/peach/falcon/samus work, because these characters are very very often used, and can kick the CRAP out of you.

I personally play Fox/Falco/Falcon

I CAN play shiek/marth but don't care for them much, and while I don't understand peach I do know how to fight her.

A good samus will give anyone problems... T_T
lol, i play as link currently, i used to play as Samus and roy and C.Falcon a while ago, i swap between characters so i haven't gotten bored in 6 years XD. However when i play brawl, and see every character, i will work at it :3 i hope all you pro's will help me get better when the time comes :3

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Peace out, another Link-er. Good to know.

And when I said advantage, I didn't nessicarily mean in the game. Hell, there I'm at a disadvantage. I was talking about stress levels and such. I can afford to be laid back in terms of playing, but tourney players got moneys riding on their victory. The slightest slip-up can mean the loss of 5K beans...not something to sneeze at.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Peace out, another Link-er. Good to know.

And when I said advantage, I didn't nessicarily mean in the game. Hell, there I'm at a disadvantage. I was talking about stress levels and such. I can afford to be laid back in terms of playing, but tourney players got moneys riding on their victory. The slightest slip-up can mean the loss of 5K beans...not something to sneeze at.
Yeah seriously, about the stress thing.

However, I play by tournament rules when I play with my friends too just to help us improve and because we like that style of play. Its very far from stressful actually... it is a lot of fun.

Anyhow, im going to supper, peace all.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Link players FTW!

About item users vs tourney goers, it is even worse than Dylan said. You heard me worse.
I was better than my scrub friends while learning advance techs from the pure fact that my tech skill was good enough so they couldn't keep up. Even with items (besides very high pokeball challenges), I would win even if they tried to gang up on me. This was before I went to tournies. It was very sad free for alls. u_u

greenblob

Smash Lord
It's funny that people need to complain about this stuff because they can't win.

I personally find it very insulting when people don't try their best. When I accidentally leave myself open and they refuse to take advantage, I get pissed.

Viewtiful_Jeff

Smash Apprentice
Eh....makes sense, I guess.

Sounds like banning Fox, Falcon and C. Falcon would be a hella lot easier though, iffin' you're receivin' my drift.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Eh....makes sense, I guess.

Sounds like banning Fox, Falcon and C. Falcon would be a hella lot easier though, iffin' you're receivin' my drift.
Then you're just passing the cheap tactic to the next fastest characters and you have the exact same problem.

Besides: Ban stages or ban characters, which do you think people would object to more?

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
You're a mod...
This belongs in the Melee discussion...

Even so, I feel that this was very informative and answered many questions.
Thanks.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
You better not ban Falcon. I've just stared to pwn with him because I finally admitted that my controller sucked and starting using a different one. But unfortunately, its a Wavebird so I can't use it at tournaments (not that I go, but I like to be prepared).

Superstar

Smash Champion
Read it, very interesting stuff. I was curious to why certain stages were banned and this answered my questions. Simply brilliant. I was guessing that's why Mush Kingdom was banned, one of my friends keeps jumping block to block, and its difficult to reach him. Also, as that friend only picks banned stages, I used Fox on Hyrule temple, got rid of a stock, and then ran away for the rest of the match. I don't know I was pissed of fighting on the banned stages and him being overly defensive [even though I always beat him, I'm short on temper].

And yes, those like Pika have a great advantage in places like fourside/peach's castle. Excellent post, and the reason its in the Brawl boards is from the people objecting to banning stages.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
Keige: You can use a Wavebird at tournaments.

And according to AZ's last sentence, this thread is to discuss which SSBB stages look viable as tournament stages. It just got off track a bit.

As for announced stages, most of them look like they'll be okay for tournament play. Battlefield is obvious. Delfino Plaza has potential. It depends on whether the plaza part will give any unfair advantages, since without ledges (as far as I can tell) it is in the same boat as Flatzone, Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroon Kingdon II, and Onett, all of which are banned. Yoshi's Story and Lylat Cruise look okay. Bridge of Eldin...meh. I don't think it'll be good. No ledges and King Bulblin might be too random/powerful. Skyworld and Smashville should be fine. Rumble Falls could be good. It's not random, which is good, but it will probably depend on the speed of the ascent.

Feel free to debate or tear any of my points apart. :)

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
It's funny that people need to complain about this stuff because they can't win.

I personally find it very insulting when people don't try their best. When I accidentally leave myself open and they refuse to take advantage, I get pissed.
You must get a ton of action with the ladies!

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I thought you couldn't use a Wavebird because if someone else is using the same channel it would interfere.

Adi

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's why most tournament organizers warn that if you go with a wavebird, you're playing at your own risk, and have to sort out things with everyone else who's using a wavebird.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I meant to make a topic asking about this on the Melee board, so thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom