• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini WWYP 4 - Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Okay guys, I'm back in orange.

The prompt for this contest is pretty open.

Write a story in which the afterlife plays a prominent role. It can take place in the afterlife, it can have characters from the afterlife, characters thinking about it, whatever. The afterlife in your story can be a currently existing notion of it (e.g. Heaven and Hell) or you can create your own.

This WWYP is slightly different from others in that it has a totally fabulous prize in addition to the regular ones! I am putting together a collection of afterlife-themed works into a "zine" which I will make all fancy and cool and print a bunch of. Winners will receive one of these (or more if they want to have more to show off and they don't end up being too expensive for me to make) and the first prize winner will receive on that will have my very own autograph on it, personally written by my assistant.

And obviously, entries into this contest will go into the collection. And since I'm invested in the project, both school and money-wise, it will be in my best interest to help you write better so along with the judging I will help any entrant with their story and will give as detailed of a critique as I can to all of them.

If for some reason you don't want your entry put into my zine, just say so. But save telling me until after the judging, otherwise you'll lose points due to my anger!

Judges are me and Virgilijus. Also, the Scurvy judging system will be used (read WWYP 7 thread if you don't know what those are).

Word limit is a billion. Even though this is a mini, you can write as long or short as you want. VIRG EDIT - Just use common sense and don't make it too long...judges have lives too.

Prizes
First place: Smash Writer group, custom avatar, custom title
Second Place: Smash Writer

Deadline is March 8th, aka Brawl Eve. Midnight EST. NOW MARCH TENTH

Also, though I don't think anybody will do this, I will allow multiple entries into this contest.

And... go!

Also if anyone reading this is new to WWYP, the way to enter is to make a new thread in this room with your entry. Title it Mini WWYP4 - Story Title Here. The thread will be closed at the deadline. You can post your story well in advance of the deadline to get feedback and stuff, and you should do the same for other contest participants. It's hardly mandatory but it's fun and you'll all end up with better entries and girlfriends.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Greatest. Prompt. Ever. ^^

I'm so paranoid about not making the deadline for this one either, I'm starting my story...
*Opens word and Jam's How To Write Well thread*
Now!

BOOM HEADSHOT

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
i call hamlet
I guess it's pretty obvious, but I was totally going to start the collection with the opening of that soliloquy.

I'm also thinking of making a noir version of the story, calling it H is for Hamlet.

Glad to see the enthusiasm guys.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Scav's once-per-WWYP help thread!

I urge our budding writers not to wax too philosophical. It *can* be done well, and if you want to give it a shot, don't let me stop you. But, a story in which a character pontificates about the afterlife and how he does/doesn't want to die is difficult to pull off.

I see three basic directions:

1) Literary fiction. Someone is dying, or dead. Basically, I'm lumping all stories that don't have explicit ghosts and angels into this one. Obviously, a story with ghosts can be very literary. It's all about execution, after all ;)

Afterlife stories that don't have an afterlife can go from stark realism to magical realism. For the latter, read Gabriel Garcia Marquez' The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World.

Fantasy

Duh :p I expect most entries to take a fantasy/fantasy horror direction. If I enter (which I won't do prior to finishing my judging, don't worry), this is the likely genre I would pick. It's popular lately to take the Christian cosmology and make it "real" (see: Vellum).

SciFi

Believe it or not, this is hugely popular in scifi. For a quick (and good) example, read "Ghosts and Simulations" over at Strange Horizons. Peter Watts touches on something similar in his book Blindsight (full version available online.)

Hell (topical swearing!), pretty much every science fiction author has tackled the afterlife. William Gibson (dumping your brain into what amounts to an ipod), Philip K ****, Carl Sagan... even Asimov's "The Last Question" can fit into this category.

Sorry guys, no specific and long-winded advice this time around :p but remember that, as always, there is a loooooooot you can do with this.

raul

Smash Lord
If anybody wants me to proof read and edit their stories, I would love to. My email is pmd1185@yahoo.com and just let me know you sent it to me. Have the subject of the message be WWYP and I'll probably get it back to you in 2 or 3 days cause I am awesome like that.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Since I didn't get to finish my last piece in time for WWYP 7, I think I'll submit it for this one. It doesn't specifically address the afterlife, but there's enough reference to death that hopefully the judges won't dock me too much. ;)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
thats not how i work =/

i just put the story on autopilot while i live my life, and hopefully little things i see and hear will trigger ideas. when i find some silence, ill write them down and brainstorm.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Nobody does their own thing, everyone does tom's thing. Everyone

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Nobody does their own thing, everyone does tom's thing. Everyone
Not me, I like my technique of plagiarism better.

Which reminds me, I just wrote this story about a girl who dies but meets a talking dog who helps her into the afterlife.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I don't think I do Tom's thing. I think I sometimes do Tom's thing.

But this time I read the prompt, thought of a setting I liked, thought of a character I liked, intro I liked, thematic I liked, splooged it into Scav, talked, and now I have a plot.

Also sometimes I get movie soundtracks with the mood I want and listen on shuffle.

But yeah usually it's Tom's thing. Sometimes I have Dewey Coxish epiphanies.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I gave it a listen. Once again I wrote an entire story and gave up on it after rereading it. It was about a soldier gaining a more sublime perspective of things in the face of death and coping with the questionable existence or nonexistence of an afterlife. Back to the drawing board.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Personally I think its because of a more manageable prompt. Its basically wwyp 8 but with a lot of entrees and only two judges

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
"Also, though I don't think anybody will do this, I will allow multiple entries into this contest."

I think I'm going to enter my first story i was planning on scrapping along with the second one I am working on now.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Okay guys, I'm back in orange.

The prompt for this contest is pretty open.

Write a story in which the afterlife plays a prominent role. It can take place in the afterlife, it can have characters from the afterlife, characters thinking about it, whatever. The afterlife in your story can be a currently existing notion of it (e.g. Heaven and Hell) or you can create your own.

This WWYP is slightly different from others in that it has a totally fabulous prize in addition to the regular ones! I am putting together a collection of afterlife-themed works into a "zine" which I will make all fancy and cool and print a bunch of. Winners will receive one of these (or more if they want to have more to show off and they don't end up being too expensive for me to make) and the first prize winner will receive on that will have my very own autograph on it, personally written by my assistant.

And obviously, entries into this contest will go into the collection. And since I'm invested in the project, both school and money-wise, it will be in my best interest to help you write better so along with the judging I will help any entrant with their story and will give as detailed of a critique as I can to all of them.

If for some reason you don't want your entry put into my zine, just say so. But save telling me until after the judging, otherwise you'll lose points due to my anger!

Judges are me and Virgilijus. Also, the Scurvy judging system will be used (read WWYP 7 thread if you don't know what those are).

Word limit is a billion. Even though this is a mini, you can write as long or short as you want. VIRG EDIT - Just use common sense and don't make it too long...judges have lives too.

Prizes
First place: Smash Writer group, custom avatar, custom title
Second Place: Smash Writer

Deadline is March 8th, aka Brawl Eve. Midnight EST.

Also, though I don't think anybody will do this, I will allow multiple entries into this contest.

And... go!

Also if anyone reading this is new to WWYP, the way to enter is to make a new thread in this room with your entry. Title it Mini WWYP4 - Story Title Here. The thread will be closed at the deadline. You can post your story well in advance of the deadline to get feedback and stuff, and you should do the same for other contest participants. It's hardly mandatory but it's fun and you'll all end up with better entries and girlfriends.
I don't think you noticed it but it says we can enter more than one for this WWYP.

Sorry about the triple post. I don't know how that happened >_<

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Wow, I think we should change this from a MINI-wwyp to a Massive-WWYP, the number of entries is more than wwyp 7.
If twenty people say that they are going to enter the wwyp, it will only be seven. If three people say that they are going to enter, it will probably be six. People can post all they want about how they've written their story, or started it, or how their story is going, or that they promise to God they're going to enter this one if they ever find the time, but thats just more time spent not writing their story. It happens in every wwyp, people say they're going to enter and then just don't.

raul

Smash Lord
If twenty people say that they are going to enter the wwyp, it will only be seven. If three people say that they are going to enter, it will probably be six. People can post all they want about how they've written their story, or started it, or how their story is going, or that they promise to God they're going to enter this one if they ever find the time, but thats just more time spent not writing their story. It happens in every wwyp, people say they're going to enter and then just don't.
The opTOMism is flowing I see. But you probably are right, Tom. I believe a large number of people swore they would enter wwyp 7 and we got...7 entries, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom