• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Crew 1's Weekly Brawl Hoedown at Rutgers

erdrick9024

Smash Cadet
Results of the May 2nd event:

?: Inui
?: Shiki
?: Eazy
(They split it amongst themselves. I think they decided on Inui having first, but I'm not sure.)
4: AAAA
5: Atomsk
5: Alex
7: Keitaro
7: Ether
9: YES!
9: Tim
9: PRiDE
9: DMBRANDON
13: Aaron
13: NinjaEd
13: ROT8
13: Mr. Ryu
17: Lester
17: Nick
17: Steve
17: Super God King Esquire
17: Dave

Image of bracket

And that's it for the Hoedowns. It's been fun, but the school year's ending and that means I lose the space. Maybe next semester I'll do it again. Thanks to everyone who's shown up.

Next event: ???

Brawl Singles
Sign-ups: 3:00-4:30 PM
Rutgers, Livingston Campus (NB/Piscataway)
Ernest A. Lynton Tower - South, Main Lounge
70 Joyce Kilmer Ave
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8040
http://maps.rutgers.edu/building.aspx?id=298
(As soon as I can find time, I'll create/put up maps that are immediately more helpful)

Rules:
$5 entry per person
3 stock, 7 minutes
Randomly seeded double elimination bracket
Matches are 2/3 games with 3/5 finals
Advanced Slob Picks (first stage agreed upon by players or random neutral with double blind characters if requested, then loser/winner/loser picks stage/character/character)
No counter picking a stage you already won on in that set
Players may ban one stage per set, but they must do so at the start of the set

Prizes:
60/30/10

Stage list:

Random/Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

Counter-picks:
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 2
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
PictoChat
Hanenbow
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Brinstar
Green Greens
Corneria
Pokémon Stadium 1
Onett

Banned:
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Norfair
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
WarioWare, Inc.
New Pork City
The Summit
Skyworld
75m
Mario Bros.
Flatzone 2
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Hyrule Temple
Big Blue

Parking:
You're not allowed to park in Rutgers lots without a permit. However, that hasn't stopped PRiDE (and surely many other individuals) who's been doing it all day every Friday for the past month without incident. Plus this is being held right around the time they tend to start caring even less about giving out tickets.
But if that bothers you, you can find a legal lot off-campus nearby, or pay for parking in New Brunswick near College Ave (or take the train or other public transportation there) and take an L or LX bus to practically the front door.
Relevant links:
http://www.njnbpa.org
http://parktran.rutgers.edu

Parking Reminder from Hac:

The lot in between the Student Center/Towers and to the north is usually fair game (don't get in the one on the right), but be reminded that OFFICIALLY you can't park there freely until after 6 PM. Weekends don't matter at all. I've seen ticketers in the area between 11:00 am - 1:30 pm, and I myself have gotten one at around 11:50 am on a Friday. You've been warned.
There's also the minor issue of needing somebody to open the door for you, but I'll be sitting there and/or people come and go often enough for you to slip in. Other than that, basic house rules apply: respect the space, respect the people there, etc. I don't want to be the first one in the history of Rutgers to have a party broken up by an RA, especially when there isn't even any alcohol.

The stage list is VERY tentative. We are more than open to discussion so long as you provide sound reasoning and present it in a well-formed manner. Also, we've read Montage's stage thread, and while the reasoning was sensible, we would still like to see as many legal stages as possible until we know first-hand just how bad some can be. We encourage broken tactics on counter-pickable and (arguably) neutral stages to help draw attention to them and prompt a response.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Good stuff Rot8! I'm happy you took over. I'll at least be at the upcoming one but I don't know about the one after that. I'll have my Brawl and Wii for this one so you can put me down for a set-up.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
No teams next week. But after the American release we will most definately hold team tournaments. Again, there will be NO teams next week. Seriously. =)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
...If you actually run the thing quickly, you can run teams first and run it quickly. It will end twice as fast as singles.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
If you do signups online or start them at ~4, you can start the tournament promptly at 5 PM and have time for both singles and doubles.

Keitaro

Doubles would be hot but I hate when tournies go on long. I don't care much for doubles though.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I saw no camping done on Friday by anyone else but you. Oh and the Meta Knight on Corneria.. but that was fun =).

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Oh and even if there are no doubles you still need to come and MM me again. You must!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I saw no camping done on Friday by anyone else but you. Oh and the Meta Knight on Corneria.. but that was fun =).
How do you think I won all those money matches?

Camping is how you win in singles. You play defensive and camp.

Doubles is tons more fun because you're allowed to attack and team combo.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
uhg y cant u hold em on saturday for once lol. i really wanna go but i have work till 7pm on friday. and if i can come on saturday, i can bring a setup.

Keitaro

Congratulations Falco player that actually has the game.
Mr Dragon, you should come to tourney if you're going to post.

I haven't played since the last tourney plus I'm letting someone borrow my Wii for 3 days starting today. I'll play you Mr. Jones without playing the entire week of play if you'd like.

Edit: Oh, you're Inui. No wonder the post was so arrogant :dizzy:

I tried to help you john by saying you didn't have warmups without stating the fact you were playing friendlies all over the other tv for an hour before the tourney started. I want Spam, Eazy, Yes, and others to get better so I let them borrow the Wii twice this week for multiple days. In the past I actually let you borrow the Wii overnight too!! I'm actually angry at myself that I don't practice except for smashfest cause I honestly have a headstart since I own the game but I'm not taking advantage of it at the moment. I just want others to play, that's why I even brought my Wii to the tourney in the first place. I was going to leave after dropping it off but eveyone wanted me to stay so I did.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I tried to help you john by saying you didn't have warmups without stating the fact you were playing friendlies all over the other tv for an hour before the tourney started. I want Spam, Eazy, Yes, and others to get better so I let them borrow the Wii twice this week for multiple days. In the past I actually let you borrow the Wii overnight too!! I'm actually angry at myself that I don't practice except for smashfest cause I honestly have a headstart since I own the game but I'm not taking advantage of it at the moment. I just want others to play, that's why I even brought my Wii to the tourney in the first place. I was going to leave after dropping it off but eveyone wanted me to stay so I did.

Yeah, I'm not mad at you. XD

It's just that...OF COURSE YOU CAN AFFORD TO ATTACK. You were the only real tournament player there that owned the game, giving you a gigantic advantage.

Well, now Spam is going to get leagues ahead of me if he's getting to play a lot this week.

On the flipside, it means we'll win teams this Friday if they effing man up and have TEAMS.

Legendaryhero

Smash Journeyman
let me get in on this plz!!!!!! why hasn't anyone called me? you guys suck you know that

p.s. i blame doyoung for any and all of my misfortunes

erdrick9024

Smash Cadet
On available set-ups: First, thanks again for donating, Keitaro. Much appreciated. Second, I overheard something about Gamestops being fined $10k for each missing copy of Brawl if the box is opened early. Now, I can't imagine Nintendo sending people to check every store, but it makes me doubt that I or Hac would have it for Friday. This means we'd again have only 2 set-ups.

On singles/doubles: This is currently being affected by a lot. Obviously, one such issue is set-ups and attendance. If turnout is similar to last week with only 2 Brawls, I may try running singles again, maybe lowering time limits and keeping it moving faster, or something. If there are considerably more people with 2 Brawls, it'll probably be doubles. If we somehow have more set-ups, it'll lean more towards singles.

Other factors include how I feel. I've been a little sick since yesterday, and I've been stressing out over homework and programming assignments. If I can't relax by Thursday, odds are I won't want to do much on Friday other than sleep, so it'll most likely turn to doubles so I can get it done quickly. Alternatively, PRiDE could take over and do whatever he wants so I won't have to care, so keep that in mind, too.

On start time: That's actually a decent idea, Spam. However, I'm far too lazy right now to bother with running two events. The reason we started things at 5 was so PRiDE would have time to get there with Brawl (since at the time it was the only 100% confirmed copy.) But if Keitaro (or anyone) wouldn't mind showing up earlier (whenever, really) so you could all at least have time for warm-ups/friendlies, that would be fine. Just let me know.

On Fridays vs. Saturdays: Obviously Saturdays are more likely to draw bigger crowds. I don't want to start with huge crowds. If/when I become more comfortable with this, we may consider Saturdays.

Keitaro

Agrees with Inui.

Alright, I can be there @ 5 cause that's when the tourney starts but I can come earlier if needed but if 5 is fine then that's cool. If you still stressed by Friday then you should do just singles. I don't see how teams would go that much faster......actually thinking about it I do, but I want singles!! lol!

If it was doubles I wouldn't even want to come. I'd just drop my Wii off and leave, seriously.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Hi guys. Look, if ROT8 is sick I am DEFINATELY willing and able to hold a SINGLES tournament. I have absolutely zero interest in teams. ZERO interest. If there is no singles tournament at OUR weeklies then I will not be coming as well. I am all for hosting singles tournaments every week. I am not for hosting doubles tournaments. If there is a double tournament, along side with singles, I will definately play both, but I am here just for singles. SO again, I plan on having a singles tournament only on Friday. ROT8 on the other hand, if he feels ok and has the time and want, to have a doubles tournament, then we will have one but other wise FRIDAY is for singles.

Artisan

Smash Cadet
you can find a legal lot off-campus nearby, or pay for parking in New Brunswick near College Ave (or take the train or other public transportation there) and take an L or LX bus to practically the front door.
Relevant links:
http://www.njnbpa.org
http://parktran.rutgers.edu
Would you happen to know the best way to reach the college via public transportation? Train is looking to be the only way I'll make it there, and NJ Transit's site can be a pain to navigate.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I would take the NJ transit to new brunswick. I forget which line it runs on North Corridor? boh. Anyway it pulls up right in the center of new brunswick. Walk to college ave which is a couple of streets over, and hop on an L or LX bus to livingston campus, North + South towers. Busses are free.

erdrick9024

Smash Cadet
I had no idea you felt so strongly about singles. lol

If you're taking a train, the NJTransit page you want is http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesTo
The destination you want is New Brunswick, on a weekday obviously. If it helps, here's a map: http://www.njtransit.com/images/sf_tr_rail_map13_s2s.jpg . But the summary is get on the Northeast Corridor Line and get off at New Brunswick.

After arriving, you should be in this general location: http://maps.rutgers.edu/maps/default.aspx?campus=5?426,544
Welcome to Rutgers. The LX bus will get you there faster, but you'd have to navigate over to that orange circle near across the street from Scott Hall. On the plus side, that's right next to the Grease Trucks, so you can partake of some authentic New Brunswick cuisine. Otherwise, you can catch an L bus at that split circle right under where it says Old Queen's Campus, and right next to the train station.

Regardless of which bus you take, you want to get off at the Livingston Student Center (http://maps.rutgers.edu/building.aspx?id=198). Then, for simplicity, just walk to the North Tower (http://maps.rutgers.edu/building.aspx?232). For reference, the door is right near where the car is parked in the picture. Someone'll let you in. If you have any problems, give a call and we'll try and sort you out. My number's in the first post.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Teams would finish in half the time singles would. If you don't eff around and actually start teams first and get it over with, you will have plenty of time for singles.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
fawk just hold it on saturday and il bring a setup lol. only allow the first 20 ppl in or ppl with a setup :)

for the future though, anyone know how to get to rutgers from philadelphia (drexel U) via public transportation?

Artisan

Smash Cadet
I had no idea you felt so strongly about singles. lol

If you're taking a train, the NJTransit page you want is http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesTo
The destination you want is New Brunswick, on a weekday obviously. If it helps, here's a map: http://www.njtransit.com/images/sf_tr_rail_map13_s2s.jpg . But the summary is get on the Northeast Corridor Line and get off at New Brunswick.

After arriving, you should be in this general location: http://maps.rutgers.edu/maps/default.aspx?campus=5?426,544
Welcome to Rutgers. The LX bus will get you there faster, but you'd have to navigate over to that orange circle near across the street from Scott Hall. On the plus side, that's right next to the Grease Trucks, so you can partake of some authentic New Brunswick cuisine. Otherwise, you can catch an L bus at that split circle right under where it says Old Queen's Campus, and right next to the train station.

Regardless of which bus you take, you want to get off at the Livingston Student Center (http://maps.rutgers.edu/building.aspx?id=198). Then, for simplicity, just walk to the North Tower (http://maps.rutgers.edu/building.aspx?232). For reference, the door is right near where the car is parked in the picture. Someone'll let you in. If you have any problems, give a call and we'll try and sort you out. My number's in the first post.
Thanks for the info, especially with the Rutgers maps.

There's one more thing I'd like to ask, if you have any idea if there's a method to bridge this gap shown by the green arrow:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/One_Alternate/njtransitmap.png

I'm in Hunterdon, near the end of the orange Raritan Valley Line. I can't be picky, but as you can see, the inability to cross at that line makes the trip two or three times longer than it should be, since I have to stop in Newark first. Any detour from Plainfield or earlier would be rather helpful.

I know there is one "DASH" bus that goes from Bound Brook to New Brunswick, but its running times are very limited from what I can tell, and I don't think it operates at all past 6:30-7 PM.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Spam, I'm far too lazy right now to bother with running two events. The reason we started things at 5 was so PRiDE would have time to get there with Brawl (since at the time it was the only 100% confirmed copy.) But if Keitaro (or anyone) wouldn't mind showing up earlier (whenever, really) so you could all at least have time for warm-ups/friendlies, that would be fine. Just let me know.
I can run doubles for you, if you want.

for the future though, anyone know how to get to rutgers from philadelphia (drexel U) via public transportation?
Take SEPTA from 30th Street Station to Trenton. From there, take NJ Transit up to the New Brunswick Train Station. There's a Rutgers bus stop(RU buses are free) right next to the train station that you can take to get from there to the Livingston Student Center(close to where the tournament is.) Alternatively, you can give someone a call once you arrive at the New Brunswick Train Station and have them drive you from there.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I can run doubles for you, if you want.

Take SEPTA from 30th Street Station to Trenton. From there, take NJ Transit up to the New Brunswick Train Station. There's a Rutgers bus stop(RU buses are free) right next to the train station that you can take to get from there to the Livingston Student Center(close to where the tournament is.) Alternatively, you can give someone a call once you arrive at the New Brunswick Train Station and have them drive you from there.
sounds good, i just checked everything and it takes 1.5 hours to get from 30th st to NB and $26.75 round trip. its a little pricy so i wont be coming THAT much lol, but i def wanna come to some of these. i can come when i start classes week of march 31st. every other week i have a class on friday that ends at 5pm so i wouldnt be able to make it, but that other every other week i get out at 2pm which gives me enough time to get to NB by 4pm, in time for the tourney.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
It's not considered camping when the match goes to 7 min is it? I thought that's called getting your money's worth :p I'll be there and Keitaro I need another shot at that falco :) Can't wait to play :D

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Since no 1 is good at the game or most aren't singles is pretty dam campy. To take a match off of spammer I ran and shot lasers, and to beat me he camped the wing on corneria...Teams is VERY VERY VERY fun and competitive, I don't see why people aren't interested. Just curious i guess, I wonder how people will feel once there are Much better players in brawl...will ya still love singles so much?

Friday should be fun regardless.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I beat spam 1v1 without camping.. yay Yoshi. too bad he beat me the other 2 matches =/

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I don't like teams because I like being the soul person responsible for winning or losing a match. Plus team matches aren't as controlled and are very chaotic. Also my partner lives very far away so training for team matches is impossible. Plus I am not so much a team player and I am very greedy and prefer to have the victory all to myself. And the number one reason why I hate teams.. No pink YOSHI... =/

Top Bottom