• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Crew 1's Weekly Brawl Hoedown at Rutgers

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I don't like teams because I like being the soul person responsible for winning or losing a match. Plus team matches aren't as controlled and are very chaotic. Also my partner lives very far away so training for team matches is impossible. Plus I am not so much a team player and I am very greedy and prefer to have the victory all to myself. And the number one reason why I hate teams.. No pink YOSHI... =/
QFT.

Here's a scale of how much I cared about Melee teams and singles.

Singles: 100/100
Teams: 30/100

Brawl Singles: 95/100
Brawl Teams: 50/100

Although Brawl teams are interesting when compared to Melee teams which I didn't care about, I still rather singles. I don't like winning with another person. I want to win/lose by myself with my own skills. I won't and can't be able to practice with Eazy whenever I want to and if Eazy sucked ballzors then what do I do. If I sucked *** what does he do? Train me obviously but no one is good enough in this game to be focusing training for another person.

I like individuality and teams doesn't give enough of that.

Teams is like the soda next to my chicken noodle soup. I like the soda but I'm only drinking it cause I have the soup.

Edit: Dm, if you come please bring your Wii and Brawl.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Alright here goes...

ROT8 - great job again!
Hac - we tied for 9th woo woo
Brandon - awesome young link, congrats on making it so far.. we will meet again
Inui - grats on second, 10 mm next time to make up for this time!
keitaro - god dam falco!
spam - awesome playing, grats for taking first!
eazy - god dam falco!

but where was matra???

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Today was too good. shoutz:

rot8: wtf. plain and simple. When did you get so **** good at this game.
Yes!: Same as rot8. Welcome to Montage!!
Pride: Man, if our yoshi's combined, we would win every match we played!! :D
Spam: grats on the win. Your MK is getting too good. MM next time
Inui: Who's got two thumbs and stomped out 5 stock from Rutgers? LOL
Keitaro: I hate you today!!! >_<!!!!!! lolol
Eazy: Best trash talks on the east coast. WTF IS LCANCELING YOU'RE A CHEATING *******!!!
LK: Good showing. we should MM in 3rd strike!!! :D

I got a new phone, so I need everyone's number again. If I didn't have it, PM it to me anyways! :D

Everyone better show for Montage's tourn on the 29th!!

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I'd like to shoutout to spam's mother...jk jk jk. but seriously...

Thanks for inviting me to join Montage :)

Brandon: Your young-i mean toon link is great. and thanks for the advice too.
Keitaro: Had fun playing you, as always. And thank you for loaning out your wii for us to use.
Space: Your wolf is awesome and I learned from it.
Eazy: same as keit minus the wii part :p
Rot8: Stop pitting me up against Bye everytime he's too good.
LK: Your Ike is great. Don't let this be a one time thing I wanna rm you :)
Inui: nice job and gratz

so we might not be having a weekly for two weeks...that kinda sux lol

Keitaro

I have full results but I'll let Dave post it with the brackets....!!

@Yes!: Good stuff getting so beast with Wolf. Now I'm happy I let yall borrow the Wii over the week. Everyone underestimated you, lol!
@Eazy: Oh man, you were **** talking almost like a Newyorkyan, without it being serious. Tell your girl I'm kidnapping you again today btw or else.
@Spam: Good **** winning and beating me this time. Our record in tourney is now 4-4. You die next time "in Brawl of course, lol!"
@Lord Knight: Good stuff argueing with me about random bull**** that made no sense. I think it helped us get extra pumped for that crew battle. So Sexy!
@Reik: Sorry my Falco let you down bro, lol! I made your eyes open up wide to the experience of the Brawl Falco :)
@Sensei & Raptor Hawk: Where the **** did yall come from?! Nice seeing you funky TSA dudes.
@Cheezit: THE CHEEEEEEEEZEEE!!! $100 dollar mm in Melee!! Whoever wins switches rankings spots!! It makes no sense!!
@DM: I LOOOOVEEE YOU!!!! Stay Toon Link next time man, that Lucas is garbage!! lol, sike. You are suicide masta!
@Rot8: Amazing as usual. You keep surprising eveyone and stop acting like you sucked in Melee dammit!! ;D
@Pride: The Pink Yoshi scared the **** outta Chen multiple times. I freaking loved it!!
@Ninja Edd: $5 dollar mm dance contest! It's on!! Great Diddy btw....in crew battles only :p
@Chen: Thanks for letting me sleep over you piece of ****! I'm watching you sleep right now. If I wanted to I can kill you! ****ing awesome!
@Ether: Your Wolf was awesome in the crew battle. You need to take that thing out all the time.
@ Everyone: Yah!!

Was fun, hope to make the next one whenever it is.

erdrick9024

Smash Cadet
I was going to do a decent shout-out post while I was on here updating the first post, but I just got home with my copy of Brawl and my priorities have changed. So generic thanks to all for coming out and good matches, people I played against (except our first match, brandon. dair suicides and a near 3-stock? C'mon... =P ).

Inui

Banned via Warnings
<3 Montage.

I had lots of fun. Kashif, we shall team for the next event! It is the day before my tourny at the hotel and you can come back with me!

dmbrandon

Smash Master
sooooooooo

WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO ABOUT THIS FRIDAY.

weekliez my ***.

Somebody run something, I need to get my brawl on

PRiDE

Smash Lord
brandon im going to NYC if they are having their weekly.. thats how im coping.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
There should be. I think they are holding something. But if its just gonna be a lot of MM's and friendlys look like im gonna be brawless for a couple of weeks.. =/

PRiDE

Smash Lord
ugh. I can't believe how dependent I've become on these Smash weeklies! What a boring weekend! Somoene hold something tonight!

PRiDE

Smash Lord
hey Keitaro.. I just updated my new wii code. that one was for my japanese version ..

Keitaro

Whoa, I haven't been on smashboards for a few days. I should be on tonight so look out for me guys. I'll add you both.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Remember when we used to have Rutgers weeklies? They were fun.. =/

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Okay.. So I think now that BRAWL is out.. This Friday we can definitely do both singles and doubles.... if anything ROT8 can run doubles, I can do singles, at the same time or one right after the other.. We should have enough set ups now, main screen, rot8s tv and wii, my wii and tv, steves wii and tv, keitaro s wii and eazys tv, if he comes, brandons wii, and im sure we can get another one of Rot8s tvs... lol, so thats plenty.. it will be good warm up for Brandons big tourn on Sat... wooo smash weekend coming up!

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Okay.. So I think now that BRAWL is out.. This Friday we can definitely do both singles and doubles.... if anything ROT8 can run doubles, I can do singles, at the same time or one right after the other.. We should have enough set ups now, main screen, rot8s tv and wii, my wii and tv, steves wii and tv, keitaro s wii and eazys tv, if he comes, brandons wii, and im sure we can get another one of Rot8s tvs... lol, so thats plenty.. it will be good warm up for Brandons big tourn on Sat... wooo smash weekend coming up!
Any chance that we'll have enough time for melee singles? Also about the stages

Arguably Neutral said:
Luigi's Mansion, Pokémon Stadium 1, Castle Siege, Battleship Halberd
Luigi's Mansion - Nowhere near arguably neutral. It's not a fair stage at all. It gives a massive advantage to certain characters(Metaknight with the Tornado bouncing them into the ceiling and then into the ground, ZSS with her upb, other chars I'm too lazy to list)

Pokemon Stadium 1 - This stage is fine...EXCEPT FOR THE FAWKING windmill! A moving wall = stupid for a neutral stage.

Castle Siege - The transitions go in the same order and it's fairly predictable where you'll end up so you won't really get gimped by the stage unless you suck or you got hit out really far. I don't see a problem with it being neutral.

Battleship Halberd - Not a neutral stage. It's very fun imo, but it's more like Mute City was in Melee. You start on the ground, then the stage moves up to a platform, and then it later goes back to the ground, then back to the air.

Counter-picks said:
Mario Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, Great Sea, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon, Pokémon Stadium 2, Distant Planet, PictoChat, Shadow Moses Island, Green Hill Zone, Electroplankton, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Green Greens, Brinstar
List of stages I agree with: Mario Circuit, Great Sea, Frigate Orpheon, Pokémon Stadium 2, PictoChat, Green Hill Zone, Electroplankton, Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Green Greens, Brinstar.

DISTANT PLANET - BAN THIS STAGE! The flowing water is like the road on Big Blue and you can get hit into w/e that giant bug thing is that eats you and steals a stock.

Norfair - Ban this stage. Ledgecamping is broken on it, and the whole one person being safe in the capsule thing is ********.

Yoshi's Island (Melee) - It's very easy to gimp someone off the right side at low percents. A number of characters force you to approach and then can easily gimp you with a bthrow.

Bridge of Eldin - Ban for doubles. This is the new Peach's Castle in teams. Unapproachable camping is dumb.

Shadow Moses Island - I personally don't mind this stage much, but imo it should be banned for doubles. The walls on the left and right make it hard to kill. Matches here would take a long time esp. if in teams people just camp the sides because that's safer.

Delfino is not listed anywhere else but it should be a counterpick stage.

Banned said:
Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, Spear Pillar (aka Pokémon Nights), Port Town Aero Dive, WarioWare, New Pork City, The Summit, Skyworld, 75m, Mario Bros., Flatzone 2, Hyrule Temple, Big Blue, Onett
I agree with all of these bans except for Onett. It was banned in Melee because Fox can run away and camp the whole stage, infinite on many parts, and kill at low percents off the top. There is no one that breaks Onett in Brawl the way Fox broke it in Melee. Also, Jungle Japes is not listed anywhere. It should be banned for fairly obvious reasons.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Castle siege is the most hated map in the game that's not banned. No way it's nuetral. Also:

crisis core is too good.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Castle siege is the most hated map in the game that's not banned. No way it's nuetral.
You hating it does not make it not neutral. Eggm hates Fountain of Dreams in melee and that's still a fair stage.

Part 1 of Castle Siege - Main platform is slightly slanted and IIRC there are two platforms.
Transition
Part 2 of Castle Siege - Two statues and a bunch of platforms. Only ghey thing about this part is that it's hard to kill off the sides.
Transition
Part 3 of Castle Siege - Almost like FD in the way it's set up except no ghey ledges.
Transition
Back to Part 1

And all the transitions are just flat where you can get killed off the side. What's gay about it?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
You hating it does not make it not neutral. Eggm hates Fountain of Dreams in melee and that's still a fair stage.

Part 1 of Castle Siege - Main platform is slightly slanted and IIRC there are two platforms.
Transition
Part 2 of Castle Siege - Two statues and a bunch of platforms. Only ghey thing about this part is that it's hard to kill off the sides.
Transition
Part 3 of Castle Siege - Almost like FD in the way it's set up except no ghey ledges.
Transition
Back to Part 1

And all the transitions are just flat where you can get killed off the side. What's gay about it?
Actually, I don't mind it at all, but every match in NY had the other person/team ban it.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
O and pride lets mm. Im not gunna be gay and go falco n c g u lol 1 mm vs my luigi, and the other vs my toonlink? Both best of 3?
1 buck maybe 2 im not into those 5 dollar mms, cuz wen im hungry late at night the vending machine is my friend and an extra buck or two saves the day!

erdrick9024

Smash Cadet
I was kinda figuring on a small one Friday so as not to wear ourselves out and get us to bed on time to be well-rested for Saturday, but if ya'll don't mind going all out that's fine by me.

Since you don't really care about doubles anyway, it might be possible to hold them earlier in the day, around 2 or 3. Opinions? Anybody?

Any chance that we'll have enough time for melee singles?
Theoretically here's always enough time for everything, it's just a matter of staying up until 4 AM. This week has the Montage tournament (I need to find out when that is) so I'm not sure how many people would be up for a marathon, but maybe we could throw in an all-night-smash-fest or two before the year is over.

Also about the stages

Luigi's Mansion - Nowhere near arguably neutral. It's not a fair stage at all. It gives a massive advantage to certain characters(Metaknight with the Tornado bouncing them into the ceiling and then into the ground, ZSS with her upb, other chars I'm too lazy to list)

Pokemon Stadium 1 - This stage is fine...EXCEPT FOR THE FAWKING windmill! A moving wall = stupid for a neutral stage.

Castle Siege - The transitions go in the same order and it's fairly predictable where you'll end up so you won't really get gimped by the stage unless you suck or you got hit out really far. I don't see a problem with it being neutral.

Battleship Halberd - Not a neutral stage. It's very fun imo, but it's more like Mute City was in Melee. You start on the ground, then the stage moves up to a platform, and then it later goes back to the ground, then back to the air.
Luigi's Mansion - I'll stick it in counter-picks for now then. I've never seen anyone pick it so I don't get to witness these things.

PS1 - It really is a shame that such a small part of the stage is such a problem - part of the reason we even started the arguably neutral category. We thought about implementing a rule to give players one "hell no" per set, which would let them not play on an arguably neutral stage if it came up on random, but we never got around to fleshing it out. KotC had something like this a while back which I think came to be known as Suicide's rule but I haven't seen it recently.

Castle Siege - We put it arguably because they're some drastic transformations, and from a few bad experiences. I was Ice Climbers, and I did nothing strange during the 2 to 3 transition, and it separated us above/below the stage. I'll leave it as arguably for now.

Halberd - It really gives you plenty of time to get on the platform before it leaves so I don't see how that's not neutral. Personally, my biggest concern is the hazards, particularly the claw. Definitely debatable.

List of stages I agree with: Mario Circuit, Great Sea, Frigate Orpheon, Pokémon Stadium 2, PictoChat, Green Hill Zone, Electroplankton, Corneria, Rainbow Ride, Green Greens, Brinstar.

DISTANT PLANET - BAN THIS STAGE! The flowing water is like the road on Big Blue and you can get hit into w/e that giant bug thing is that eats you and steals a stock.

Norfair - Ban this stage. Ledgecamping is broken on it, and the whole one person being safe in the capsule thing is ********.

Yoshi's Island (Melee) - It's very easy to gimp someone off the right side at low percents. A number of characters force you to approach and then can easily gimp you with a bthrow.

Bridge of Eldin - Ban for doubles. This is the new Peach's Castle in teams. Unapproachable camping is dumb.

Shadow Moses Island - I personally don't mind this stage much, but imo it should be banned for doubles. The walls on the left and right make it hard to kill. Matches here would take a long time esp. if in teams people just camp the sides because that's safer.

Delfino is not listed anywhere else but it should be a counterpick stage.
Distant Planet - I was actually planning on banning this. Every time I've hit the waterfall it just slid me down and then I safely grabbed the ledge - no biggie. The Bulborb sitting there with his mouth open - stay away from him and he's not a threat. The problem is when you stand on his head when his mouth is closed and he eats you in a split second for no apparent reason and without warning. Serious bull.

Norfair - Same-ish deal. I just read about exploiting the ledges and kicked myself for not thinking of it. It also feels too campy at times. Also, the capsule thing is a non-issue. It's not even worth fighting for since you can either jump over the giant wave or just shield it. Yea, holding L or R saves you from the lava. I'll leave it on counter-pick for now, just because I can't picture from here how badly the ledge thing can be, but have no qualms over banning it once I see some examples.

Yoshi's Island - That's a bit of an issue on pretty much any stage with walk-off edges. I see Bridge of Eldin and Green Hill Zone as potentially having similar problems.

Bridge - I haven't even considered doubles stages yet, but can see why this would be bad.

Shadow Moses - Ditto.

Delfino - I think we planned it as an arguably neutral, but I'll stick it in counter-picks until we work out our rules for arguablies.

I agree with all of these bans except for Onett. It was banned in Melee because Fox can run away and camp the whole stage, infinite on many parts, and kill at low percents off the top. There is no one that breaks Onett in Brawl the way Fox broke it in Melee. Also, Jungle Japes is not listed anywhere. It should be banned for fairly obvious reasons.
Yea, the Fox problem was fixed, but I think we banned it for the cars. Which is silly since they don't even really kill you anymore. And yes, Japes is banned. Thanks for the input.

Artisan

Smash Cadet
I honestly think Distant Planet is fine. The water on the left isn't like Big Blue at all, since it pushes you back toward the stage, you grab the ledge, and even if the ledge is occupied, you can usually immediately up-B to the main platform since it's passthrough and close enough to the ledge. I'm the only person I've ever seen get eaten by the Bulborb, and that was because I was standing on it and didn't know it would eat me. Now I just treat it like the support ghosts on Yoshi's Island or the platforms that come in from the side on Orpheon - Use them for recovery aid, but don't stand on them for more than a moment because you can't count on them being there for more than that. All it ends up doing is preventing you from camping on the bulborb when he's out.

Norfair - I personally love this stage because it gives characters with less aerial ability a choice against edgeguarders without having to pick a walk-off stage. The lava is more manageable than Brinstar, and you can just airdodge or shield the lava wave instead of going to the capsule. The ledges are nice for certain things, but if it can be "abused" that badly I guess I can understand, though I haven't seen it happen and would like to see that in action.

On neutral vs. counterpick, I honestly think Castle Siege is more of a neutral stage than Battlefield. If the idea of a neutral is an even playing field, Battlefield supports characters with good edgeguarding and a disjointed hitbox due to the height of the platforms and the small size of the stage (which also prevents escape, Ike seems especially dangerous there.) Whereas Castle Siege gives each character type their turn, always in the same order unlike Delfino. The only issue would be the weird things that sometimes happen during transfers, but I've found that those can always be avoided by jumping when the change finishes or just generally not being far off to the sides. Don't think it's any worse than Pokemon Stadium at any rate.

Don't really feel strongly either way about Halberd, the hazards seem easy enough to avoid, but I've seen a fair amount of deaths from people passing through the floor on horizontal recovery.

Corneria makes for terrible games from what I've seen, but eh.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I honestly think Distant Planet is fine. The water on the left isn't like Big Blue at all, since it pushes you back toward the stage, you grab the ledge, and even if the ledge is occupied, you can usually immediately up-B to the main platform since it's passthrough and close enough to the ledge. I'm the only person I've ever seen get eaten by the Bulborb, and that was because I was standing on it and didn't know it would eat me. Now I just treat it like the support ghosts on Yoshi's Island or the platforms that come in from the side on Orpheon - Use them for recovery aid, but don't stand on them for more than a moment because you can't count on them being there for more than that. All it ends up doing is preventing you from camping on the bulborb when he's out.
On Big Blue, you can jump on the road too so you don't die. That doesn't keep it from being stupid.

Norfair - I personally love this stage because it gives characters with less aerial ability a choice against edgeguarders without having to pick a walk-off stage. The lava is more manageable than Brinstar, and you can just airdodge or shield the lava wave instead of going to the capsule. The ledges are nice for certain things, but if it can be "abused" that badly I guess I can understand, though I haven't seen it happen and would like to see that in action.
The lava is NOT more manageable than Brinstar. You can get very easily hit into it, where on Brinstar that's a bit more difficult as the lava comes from the bottom of the stage.

Halberd - It really gives you plenty of time to get on the platform before it leaves so I don't see how that's not neutral. Personally, my biggest concern is the hazards, particularly the claw. Definitely debatable.
LOL the claw is amazing :].

Castle Siege - We put it arguably because they're some drastic transformations, and from a few bad experiences. I was Ice Climbers, and I did nothing strange during the 2 to 3 transition, and it separated us above/below the stage. I'll leave it as arguably for now.
I'm guessing you were too far to the side, because it's not going to separate them if you're in the middle as far as I know.

Delfino - I think we planned it as an arguably neutral, but I'll stick it in counter-picks until we work out our rules for arguablies.
Once you get hit into the water vs [insert good character here] you either take massive damage or lose a stock. That's just stupid.

Top Bottom