• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CT4: Edmonton May 31st 2008

FalseFalco

Smash Master

BIG AND BOLD WITH A BANNER

WHO: FalseFalco
WHAT: Brawl will be the main event
WHEN: May 31, 2008
WHERE: Argyll Community hall (6750 88 Street) Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(Same place as the last 3)

ABOUT CT4
Ok so I’m back for my 4th ever Edmonton tournament, and this time it’s BRAWL TIME. Unfortunately for me this tournament will be a little different than times past as it is the day after my high school graduation banquet (and subsequent afterparties). At this point I’m undecided as to whether I will compete or not, but in the long run that doesn’t really affect you guys anyway.

The tournament is 1 day long. This is mainly due to the fact that the part of the hall we need is not available 2 days in a row. This is likely a good thing for those bringing equipment, as they will not have to leave it overnight and risk it getting stolen.

PROBLEMS THAT MUST BE SOLVED

A) I NEED WII’S. Bring a WII WITH WIIMOTE AND EVERYTHING UNLOCKED! Bring a Wii and you will be entered for a fantastic door prize!
B) I NEED TV’S Bring a TV THAT WORKS AND CAN DISPLAY BRAWL AND MELEE and you will be entered for a fantastic door prize! (If you bring both a WII and a TV you will be entered twice!!!)
C) I DON’T HAVE EVERYTHING UNLOCKED.
D) BRAWL SUCKS. Enter the Melee events.

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

Main events:
Brawl singles $15
Brawl doubles $20/Team

Side Events:
Melee Singles $10
Melee doubles $10/Team

As you can see this tournament will be expensive for anyone attending every event. I suggest you pick wisely which events you will attend and let me know ahead of time. If not enough people are interested in any one event, I may lower the price on that event in order to stimulate participation. Although I encourage trying to attend each event, it is not required and may in fact put you out a good $45 (LOL if you SUCK). That decision is yours.

THE SCHEDULE

Saturday May 31st

Brawl Doubles 12:00/12:30PM-3:00PM
Brawl Singles 3:00PM/3:30PM-7:00PM
Melee Doubles 7:00PM-10PM
Melee Singles 10PM-Finish

SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON FINISH TIMES OF OTHER EVENTS
DO NOT BASE YOUR ATTENDANCE ON THE TIMES OF EACH EVENT

THA RULES
Brawl Maps:

RANDOM STAGES
FD
Battlefield
Yoshi’s story
Smashville
Lylat cruise

COUNTERPICKS:
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Pictochat
Castle Siege
Corneria*
Rainbow Ride
Green Greens
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1
Distant Planet
Onett

BANNED:
Everything else
*No DeDeDe infinites allowed. I'm not even joking that **** is not fun

Melee maps:
(Shameless paste from CT1)

RANDOM STAGES:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain Of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination

COUNTERPICKS:
Mute City
Princess Peach's Castle
Kongo Jungle
Corneria
Onett
Kongo Jungle 64
Green Greens
Venom

BANNED STAGES:
Everything else

Rules for Brawl:
-Double Elimination
-3 Stock
-6 Minute time limit
-Best of 3
-First match is random
-Double blind pick(a third party will be told each competitor's character before the first match) to avoid counter-picking
-Slob picks after first stage.
-Dave's stupid rule" (no stage can be played twice in one set) Daves stupid rule does not apply in best of 5 situations during the winners finals, losers finals, and championship match.

Rules for Melee:
-Double Elimination
-4 stock
-8 minute time limit
-Best of 3
-First match is random
-Double blind pick(a third party will be told each competitor's character before the first match) to avoid counter-picking
-Slob picks after first stage.
-Dave's stupid rule" (no stage can be played twice in one set) Daves stupid rule does not apply in best of 5 situations during the winners finals, losers finals, and championship match.
-Wobbling is banned

Doubles rules:
-Team attack ON
-SHARE STOCKKKK allowed

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER FOR EVERY EVENT! I have a nunchuk that can be provided to one poor soul.

PRIZES

Door prize goes to 1 lucky and charitable individual.

All event prizes will be distributed

60% First place
30% Second place
10% Third place

See you there.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
First post!

I will be there for sure!

FLIGHT TIMES!

ARRIVING

FROM

Flight: Air Canada AC250 Vancouver (YVR) Friday May 30th - 2008 7:55 pm

TO

Flight: Air Canada AC250 Edmonton (YEG) Friday May 30th - 2008 10:22pm

LEAVING

FROM

Flight: Air Canada AC255 Edmonton (YEG) Sunday June 1st - 2008 8:45pm

TO

Flight: Air Canada AC255 Vancouver (YVR) Sunday June 1st - 2008 9:22pm

Frio

Smash Champion
Hopefully I'll be adapted to brawl by then, if not I fail at smash brothers

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Is this a two day deal? cause i gotta book off work ASAP and if it's two days then i gotta book both off. I am already excited, ToonLink is gonna hit it hard w00t!

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Yeah this should be in tournament listings...I'm so used to the old system!

Brawl will be main event
SSBM for sure

1 day tournament
if you're out of province you can bunk with me (SEXY TIEM)

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Man, I don't know if I can ruin school like that this time...
I need 93% plus. I would have to study awful hard these next few weeks/months to even be near... ready.

Basically, my power level right is pretty much 8412.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
That sucks...

It's only for a weekend remember. So you could organize your work and leave a gap on the 31st.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Oh Carl, go look at my central canada thread post.

It will matter to you.

Also, I will definately attend given I can find transport.

Vitality

Smash Ace
Omfg no Melee? There goes the REAL competitive Smash Bros :(

Seriously after playing Brawl i don't see any potential from it. Not dissing Brawl but it just sucks in my perspective for the competitive scene.

It IS CT4, at least have melee

FalseFalco

Smash Master

Seriously after playing Brawl i don't see any potential from it. Not dissing Brawl but it just sucks in my perspective for the competitive scene.

falsefalco said:
Yeah this should be in tournament listings...I'm so used to the old system!

Brawl will be main event
SSBM for sure

1 day tournament
if you're out of province you can bunk with me (SEXY TIEM)
SSBM FOR SURE

Alphicans

Smash Hero

Jim, what you don't understand is what competitive means. It doesn't mean flashy moves, or really super long combos that kill off the stage in 5 seconds, it's the willingness of the community to come out and try their hardest, cause they think they gonna win. If everyone who is coming, or at least the majority of the ppl coming think they have a good chance at winning and are gonna take it seriously, then Brawl is equally as competitive or more, because now alot of ppl have a new chance since the old pros of melee won't **** as hardcore. What you mean to say is, the quality of gameplay won't be as flashy and cool, but I think that if you're gonna base a game being crappy from that, you shouldn't play smash bros.

(Everyone this goes back a lil bit, because me and jim know eachother, so don't mind this post lol.)

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Jim, what you don't understand is what competitive means. It doesn't mean flashy moves, or really super long combos that kill off the stage in 5 seconds, it's the willingness of the community to come out and try their hardest, cause they think they gonna win. If everyone who is coming, or at least the majority of the ppl coming think they have a good chance at winning and are gonna take it seriously, then Brawl is equally as competitive or more, because now alot of ppl have a new chance since the old pros of melee won't **** as hardcore. What you mean to say is, the quality of gameplay won't be as flashy and cool, but I think that if you're gonna base a game being crappy from that, you shouldn't play smash bros.

(Everyone this goes back a lil bit, because me and jim know eachother, so don't mind this post lol.)
Pretty much a 100% true post

As Ive always said, Brawl is a pretty good game by itself, but compared to melee it's dirt. So what we're gonna have to do is forget about melee. Which is really hard, for me especially.

Some things are just inexcusable though, such as tripping. Seriously what the ****

Levi5

Smash Ace
And no canceling initial dash animation. what the ****?

Here's a post of 100% truthfullness just for you.

Alex: "Levi, I know you don't like brawl as much you just need to stop comparing it to melee and just predict people's rolls and punish off of it."
Levi: "But that's exactly my point. All this game is, is fucking rolling."
....Silence....

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
And no canceling initial dash animation. what the ****?

Here's a post of 100% truthfullness just for you.

Alex: "Levi, I know you don't like brawl as much you just need to stop comparing it to melee and just predict people's rolls and punish off of it."
Levi: "But that's exactly my point. All this game is, is fucking rolling."
....Silence....
dash pivots? lol

Vitality

Smash Ace

Pow, super ninja grammar correction: Jim and I

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Saying Brawl is all rolling is like saying sponges are all holes...(?)

wtf eric got tix for the tournament 6 minutes after the thread was posted.
He's been practicing! :laugh:

(SEXY TIEM)
I read that as SEXY ITEM. Too much Single Player Mode.

I think I'm like, one of the few Calgarians who actually likes Brawl. xd
Levi has a way of making people hate smash by constant drab criticisms. He did the same thing to Melee and pretty much every combo video I ever sent his way until I gave up realizing he wouldn't even enjoy them. :) I'm glad you're up for giving the game some time and a chance to mature, Alex. You'll be a better player in the long run for it.

spindash

Smash Ace
I'm in.

I think I'm like, one of the few Calgarians who actually likes Brawl. xd
Count me in as one of the few Edmontonians on Brawl's side. XD Though I do enjoy Melee with every bit of my Smashing heart too.

Oh, and I'm SO in for this tourney it's not even funny.

Haha...ha..

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
That might be true... I see a noticeable co-relation.

I have been noticing how frustration-free Brawl has been for me so far. I think it's because I play the game like I play Melee, just with some minor tweaks.

Also... is this off-topic?

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I play vastly different than in Melee, and so far it's been great. Well, I kinda play the same if you look into it. Levi was always leagues ahead of me, so I had to turtle, apply pressure and wait for him to mess up to get an opening... Which usually resulted in me suiciding a missed down air xd. It's how I play in Brawl, as well.

MagnuM

Smash Ace
Since I played Bowser in Melee anyway, and depended mostly on mindgames over technical FTWs, I'm loving Brawl since I don't have to worry about all these stupid advanced EXPLOITS lagging out my Bowser!

Drillshine combo GTFO!!

Brawl > Melee

Vitality

Smash Ace
^ I don't think I've met an Edmonton player who doesn't enjoy Brawl yet...
Since I played Bowser in Melee anyway, and depended mostly on mindgames over technical FTWs, I'm loving Brawl since I don't have to worry about all these stupid advanced EXPLOITS lagging out my Bowser!

Drillshine combo GTFO!!

Brawl > Melee

Melee > Brawl

Brawl can go suck my balls. Thats all i have to say

/me walks away

Top Bottom