• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UST 15 (Utah Melee Tournament - June)

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
bUST: Utah State Tournament 15
Hosted by FoxTheStampede

Tournament Games
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Possible Casual Games
Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Schedule

Saturday, June, 2009

Warm-up:
11:30am - 1:00pm
Registration: 12:30pm-1:00pm (let me know if somebody will be late or is only coming to a later tournament)

Tournament Starts: 1:00pm

Order:
Melee 2v2, Melee 1v1

(FTS' house)
(when looking up directions remember that Highland Dr. = 2000 E)

Entry Fee
1v1 and 2v2: $5.00 per person
(no refunds after tournament starts)
1st - 60%, 2nd - 30%, 3rd - 10%

Please pay for tournaments with separate bills
$20 bills and higher will not be accepted

Tournament Format
Double Elimination Bracket
4 stock, 8 min
Matches best 2 of 3 (finals and losers finals 3 of 5)

BYOC: Bring Your Own Controller (wireless controllers are discouraged)

Illegal conduct: Controllers with macro functionality are banned. Any improper behavioral conduct (ex. physically distracting an opponent) will drop you from the tournament. Drugs/Alcohol will get you banned from the tournament.

Additional Rules

Knock-out: Before the match set, each player may choose one stage to knock-out for the entire set.

Advanced Slob Picks: First match stage will be random. Loser chooses the next stage, then the winner chooses character, then the loser chooses character.

Items: OFF

Double Blind Pick, where both players secretly choose their character, is available for the first match of every set.

Random Stages: Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Poke Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Dreamland 64

Banned Stages: Great Bay, Hyrule Temple, Brinstar Depths, Venom, Big Blue, Fourside, Icicle Mountain, Flatzone, Yoshi's Island 64, Yoshi's Island (pipes), Princess Peach's Castle, Mushroom Kingdom I & II, Green Greens, Onett, Kongo Jungle, Jungle Japes
(non-banned stages may be counter picked)

Fountain of Dreams and Mute City are banned in teams due to lag

Dave's Stupid Rule:
You may not counterpick a stage you have won at in the current set.

Team Attack: ON

Life stealing is allowed

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end BEFORE 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

* Functional controller mods are banned

Host Contact Info
Nathan "FoxTheStampede"
Cell: (801) 809-3316
E-mail: lordluxun@gmail.com
MSN: Lordluxun@gmail.com
AIM: CaoDun9

Supplies

TVs - 5 of 6+
FTS (x5)

Wiis - 3 of 6
FTS
DZLE
PC

Melee - 5 of 6
Joke
C!Z
Minato
DZLE
PC

Brawl - 0 of 0

Other Stuff

FTS - PC + SF:3S, Marvel / PS2 / 360 + SF:HDR, SF4

Recorders - 3 of 3-4
FTS (x3)

Power Strips - 0 of 0

Housing

Ride Requests

Expected Attendance List

(any game)

For Sure: (12)
FoxTheStampede
Dark Ryu
DZLE
Gojira
Joke
Lanky
Minato
Perfect Chaos
Vazor
Yaz
C!Z (UT->WA)
Crea (UT->AZ)

Maybe: (2 + 0 need a ride)
Jeyt
Waffle

0 rideless smashers

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Lemme make sure if I can attend. As for supplies I can bring, it'd simply be one power strip (surge protector thing as well).

And might I make a suggestion to ban Spear Pillar, Pork City, and Summit?

lengeta

Smash Ace
I'll be there for sure. I can tow a Wii + Brawl, but I'm not sure about a TV.

And just curious, where'd you get your rules from (mostly the level bans, random, etc)? I personally want to avoid as many bans as possible, but the first stage should be extremely neutral.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Nooooo slave.... I wanted to fight your Lizardon :(.

Anyway, I'll be there for sure too, with a wii and brawl in hand!! I will most likely bring the Mexican Brigade too... so +5 to (y)our tourney :D.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
This rule set is too much like Melee's. Why aren't the stage that are banned in teams also banned in Singles? And Mushroomy Kingdom isn't that bad, so I don't think it should be banned just yet. Also, about Dave's Stupid Rule: since there are soooooo many stages, it should be that you can't pick ANY stage that has been played in that set (not just ones you won in). And here's a crazy thought: maybe have TWO knock out stages instead of one (per person/team) .

Gojira

Smash Lord
This rule set is too much like Melee's. Why aren't the stage that are banned in teams also banned in Singles? And Mushroomy Kingdom isn't that bad, so I don't think it should be banned just yet. Also, about Dave's Stupid Rule: since there are soooooo many stages, it should be that you can't pick ANY stage that has been played in that set (not just ones you won in). And here's a crazy thought: maybe have TWO knock out stages instead of one (per person/team) .
The banned stages will be banned for all events.

PC Mushroomy Kingdom is two stages in one and you never know which one you are going to play, thus rendering it usles as a counterpick and IMO a random stage. IF you think the 1-2 stage is "not that bad" your insane. Teching in Brawl is easier and if you have brains it will take forever to die, and when you do die it will be around 300% in most cases. Also I would like to mention characters like Bowser get instant easy kills there in most parts, well i think he is the only character but meh.

1-1 is is not as bad as 1-2 but still bad.

Also im doing 2 dollar MM vs my Bowser Snake and D3

Sada

Smash Cadet
Put DRGN and I on the list as coming.

Agree with PC on Dave's stupid rule. There are more stages now that are basically neutral. I doubt that everyone will want to play FD or battlefield repeatedly.

The Double knockout seems fair, but now with all of the available stages. Knocking out just one stage adds more strategy to brawl. You have knockout the stage to you think will help you the most.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I mostly agree, save for the double knock out. Reasoning in this quote:

The Double knockout seems fair, but now with all of the available stages. Knocking out just one stage adds more strategy to brawl. You have knockout the stage to you think will help you the most.
Doing a double knock out can provide an interesting strategy, but it can also really screw someone over. It kinda contradicts what I'm saying to Goji, but if there is only two stages one character really has a good advantage at, and they get knocked out, while the opponent has, say, four stages, you can see the imbalance. Doing one stage is fair enough, but pulling out a double knock out can be an interesting twist on a random type tournament.

Oh man, and that gives me an awesome idea for a tournament XD A good number would hate it, but I think a good number would have fun with it as well if they "play" it right ^^

The banned stages will be banned for all events.

PC Mushroomy Kingdom is two stages in one and you never know which one you are going to play, thus rendering it usles as a counterpick and IMO a random stage. IF you think the 1-2 stage is "not that bad" your insane. Teching in Brawl is easier and if you have brains it will take forever to die, and when you do die it will be around 300% in most cases. Also I would like to mention characters like Bowser get instant easy kills there in most parts, well i think he is the only character but meh.

1-1 is is not as bad as 1-2 but still bad.

Also im doing 2 dollar MM vs my Bowser Snake and D3
It's possible. But really, the random factor adds no argument whatsoever, seeing as a player can pick "random" as their stage, so picking Mushroomy Kingdom is like picking "semi-random". It's a set course, and everyone can use the stage one way or another to their advantage. Every character has a slight advantage on one stage compared to another. That's what knocking out is for.

As for banning it on teams... I can see why, and kinda can't. I think we should let it be counter-pickable just to see how it works.

And I may MM your Bowser with my Zelda, but lemme see if I can't work on her a bit more at my friend's house first, kay?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Advanced Slob Picks: First match stage will be random. Loser chooses the next stage, then the winner chooses character, then the loser chooses character.
Random Stages:
Apparently none :dizzy:
How is this going to work?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
...It kinda contradicts what I'm saying to Goji, but if there is only two stages one character really has a good advantage at, and they get knocked out, while the opponent has, say, four stages, you can see the imbalance...
If you play more than one character, then you will have more stages that benefit you. So it's no excuse for only having few stages giving an advantage to one certain character.
And who else also thinks that Pictochat should be among those that should b
e banned? WiFiWars sure thinks so. It is one of the two that they think should outright be banned.
WiFiWars.com said:
At the moment, the only stages we have decided to ban are Warioware and Pictochat. This list will be updated as the metagame develops.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
If you play more than one character, then you will have more stages that benefit you. So it's no excuse for only having few stages giving an advantage to one certain character.
And who else also thinks that Pictochat should be among those that should b
e banned? WiFiWars sure thinks so. It is one of the two that they think should outright be banned.
True. It's really a give and take statement. Until more things are "officially" banned, then having two stages be player banned wouldn't be too bad. But after a final list has been set-up, going to one probably will be necessary. Besides, having one can still prove to be beneficial if you know two stages a player is good at and you think you stand a better chance at one compared to the other.

Haven't played Pictochat. No opinion.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Nice, i should be able to come. Not positive though, strange things have been cropping up around my house... but yeah. This is Dan by the way.

Dai-A

Smash Journeyman
use this fts

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium - Melee
Rainbow Cruise - Melee (Teams only)

Counterpicks:

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Skyworld
Green Hill Zone (Teams only)
Jungle Japes - Melee
Corneria - Melee
Rainbow Cruise - Melee (Singles only)
Green Greens - Melee
Brinstar - Melee

Banned:
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
WarioWare, Inc.
Distant Planet
Summit
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone (Singles only)
Temple - Melee
Yoshi's Island - Melee
Onett - Melee
Big Blue - Melee

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
^^^ Post right there

Any reason as to that? Because if you have a source, you should quote it.

Seems like me and a friend are coming. One more might, might not, but count up me plus friend, as well as a power strip from me.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Wow. You guys need to add to the Banned list fo' sho.

Like-- why is Hyrule Temple only banned from only doubles? Just because it's Brawl doesn't mean that Sonic can't just run away like Fox does in Melee. And have you ever experienced all the effects of Spear Pillar? The frickin' controls mirror and everything!

I agree more with Dai-A's list-- though some of the Banned stages could be neutral.

As for me coming, I no longer have a Devin to love me and drive me. :( I doubt you're even slightly interested in the thought of letting me pay through paypal, and play my matches online, but if you are-- that'd be awesesome. :D At least, during friendlies, set up a TV that says: "FRIENDLY XSYVEN, THAT ONE OTHER UNFORTUNATE UTAH SMASHER, HERE."

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Wow. You guys need to add to the Banned list fo' sho.

Like-- why is Hyrule Temple only banned from only doubles? Just because it's Brawl doesn't mean that Sonic can't just run away like Fox does in Melee. And have you ever experienced all the effects of Spear Pillar? The frickin' controls mirror and everything!

I agree more with Dai-A's list-- though some of the Banned stages could be neutral.
Wow, for once, Xsyven didn't read Gojira's post, instead of it being the other way around. Gojira, in response to me asking why the banned stages are also not banned for singles, said:
The banned stages will be banned for all events...
And Dai-A, you're going overboard with the Melee-mindset. You're just pretty much banning all stages that were banned in Melee (some of which don't have have problems anymore in Brawl due to lack of waveshine, etc.) and then banning other stages (some of which shouldn't be banned, because it seems you are deciding with factors that affect Melee's bans in mind). Also, I thik some of those choices are just crazy, such as banning potentially neutral stages such as Hanenbow and Green Hill Zone, while not banning something like Norfair. At this point, the ban list should be kept at a minimum, so that we are able to test out most of the other stages and see how it is as the metagame progresses.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Perfect Chaos said:
At this point, the ban list should be kept at a minimum, so that we are able to test out most of the other stages and see how it is as the metagame progresses.
David Sirlin said:
Prematurely banning something is the scrub’s way.
= PC wins

Banning over half the stages a week after release is very unlikely.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Greenhill is not neutral IMO by any means. It'd be a counterpick over neutral any time.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Teching in Brawl is easier and if you have brains it will take forever to die, and when you do die it will be around 300% in most cases. Also I would like to mention characters like Bowser get instant easy kills there in most parts, well i think he is the only character but meh.
Had to comment on this. I can't tech worth **** in Brawl :dizzy: and in mushroomy kingdom the problem shouldn't be from 300%, but from ridiculously low percents due to moving walk off edges so you can just throw people off.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Teching in Brawl is easier and if you have brains it will take forever to die, and when you do die it will be around 300% in most cases. Also I would like to mention characters like Bowser get instant easy kills there in most parts, well i think he is the only character but meh.
Had to comment on this. I can't tech worth **** in Brawl :dizzy: and in mushroomy kingdom the problem shouldn't be from 300%, but from ridiculously low percents due to moving walk off edges so you can just throw people off.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
After everything is done though. As much as I don't want to, it's better to have played things to figure out what works and what doesn't work.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Yeah, we should all expect the first few tournaments to run a little rough. Hell, there's still drama about Melee's stages.

We can all rest easy, knowing that things'll work out eventually. I guess you can consider the first few tournaments as experiments, rather than anything serious. Speaking of serious, how soon do you guys think you're going to start Brawl rankings? I don't think we're ready for those for at least another two months, if not longer.

Gojira

Smash Lord
The final list for the utah rules

Banned Stages
DK Arcade
Mario Arcade
Wario Ware
Lumber Falls
New Pork City
Spear Pillar
Big Blue(melee)
hyrule Temple(Melee)
Mushroomy Kingdom

Random Stages
Battlfield
Final Destinations
Delfino plaza
Lylat cruise
Hanenbow
Smashville
Castle siege
pokemon stadium(melee)

Counterpick stages(all random/normal stages plus the following)
luigis mansion
Nofair
Pirate ship
Bridge of eldin
Halbred
Port Aero Drive
Distant Planet
Flat Zone 2
Skyworld
Summit
Green Hill Zone
Shadow Moses Island
Pictochat
Onette(melee)
Brinstar(melee)
green greens(melee)
Jungle Japes(melee)
COneria(melee)
Raibow Cruise(melee)
Yoshis island(melee)

Also Perfect Chaos, you were right lol. Now that I finally sat down and made this list I went O_O at how many there are. So I think we should use your idea to bann 2 stages rather then one. However I still think we should still use daves stupid like we always have and see how it goes for the first few tourneys.

Also Tsuteto about Mushroomy kingdom. The level is two levels in one and you dont know which one your going to get. So if you say"im going to go to Mushroomy Kigndom" what is your opponet supposed to think? OH um ill pick this character because he has a really good advantage at 1-1 then you get 1-2 and that character does absolutley horrible at 1-2? If you could pick which one you got everytime that would be understandable. However, I do think 1-1 is an ok level and if we wanted to use 1-1 you could say im going to go to 1-1 and then you can keep selecting the stage until you get it then commence that match.....there is nothing wrong with that I suppose.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Also Tsuteto about Mushroomy kingdom. The level is two levels in one and you dont know which one your going to get. So if you say"im going to go to Mushroomy Kigndom" what is your opponet supposed to think? OH um ill pick this character because he has a really good advantage at 1-1 then you get 1-2 and that character does absolutley horrible at 1-2? If you could pick which one you got everytime that would be understandable. However, I do think 1-1 is an ok level and if we wanted to use 1-1 you could say im going to go to 1-1 and then you can keep selecting the stage until you get it then commence that match.....there is nothing wrong with that I suppose.
So maybe we should ban people from selecting random overall then?

Case and point.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Two things about Mushroomy Kingdom:

First, if you picked either 1-1 or 1-2, you could just keep selecting the stage until the one you've chosen is pulled up. That problem's solved, although it is an annoying solution

Second, you can ALWAYS pick 1-2 if you hold 'R' during the selection. Too bad there isn't a way to always pick 1-1.

Gojira

Smash Lord
So maybe we should ban people from selecting random overall then?

Case and point.
Random provides you with to neutral stages. Saying your going to mushroomy kingdom provides yes two possible stages, one "ok" stage, and one completely game breaking stage. Choosing random to pick neutral stages makes you think okay what one of my characters does ok at all the neutrals. choosing mushroomy kingdom makes people think. okay do i have a character that is good on 1-1 and wont get decimated on the horrible 1-2.

Overall all Tsuteto, the stage in general is bad. Yes you did beat me by saying if we ban it we have to ban random, but the stage in general is bad, very bad. 1-1 is ok and we could go there and play matches. But 1-2 has many things wrong with it that it should not even be considered.

Like i said we can do "pick till we get 1-1" solution or just not use the stage entirely.

Also, you said you want to MM my bowser? I dont really main Bowser so much as I do DDD but sure. <----look what i did, a pre-game john =D.

Top Bottom