• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jigglypuff 101] A Jigglypuff Guide by RPK

RPK

Smash Lord
Since Chozen asked me to do this I might as well get started ._.

Jigglypuff 101: A guide to Jigglypuff
by
Rpk

Table of Contents
~Introduction~
~Pros & Cons~
~Moves List~
~Wall of Pain~
~Tricks, Techniques & Combos~
~Edge Guarding~
~Stages~
~Character Match Ups~
~FAQ~
~Conclusion~
~Credit~

~Introduction~

Hi my name is Rpk and as you should know, if you were here long enough, I wrote a Jigglypuff guide back in the melee forums and since I was asked, I might as well start another one. So, lets get started on this Jigglypuff guide shall we?

~Pros & Cons~

-Pros-
-Jigglypuff has Rest
-5 jumps
-Rising Pounds
-An excellent recovery
-Hard to combo
-Has great edge guarding ability
-Can easily combo an opponent off the stage.

-Cons-
-Jigglypuff is light
-Jigglypuff has lost The Space Animal Slayer
-Is no longer able to spam just her Bair or Nair
-Jigglypuff has no up+B recovery
-Is unable to chain grab (On the other hand not many characters can anymore. =\)
-Has very little reach on most of her moves

RPK

Smash Lord
~Moves List~

-Standard Attacks-

Jab: A (3%)
Jiggly punches it’s opponent.
Id just stick to Double jab on this one.

Double Jab: A, A (5%)
Jiggly punches it’s opponent twice.
Two Jabs. This is a pretty decent move. For after you can follow it up with a grab.

~Smash Attacks~

Headbutt: Up Smash (13%)
Jiggly launches a headbutt. This move is slightly slower in Brawl and isnt as reliable as it once was. Though I personally didnt use it too much...Jigglypuff players, as well as everyone else is able to dash and immediately go into into an up smash if they wish to do so instead of performing a dash attack.

Spin Splits Kick: Down Smash (13%)
Jiggly kicks on both sides.
This knocks the enemy off their feet, more to the side than upwards. A great Edge-Guarding move. When the opponent is hit with this move they are sent downwards at an angle. Once again a great move for edge guarding

Furious Kick: Forward Smash (16%)
A fierce kick.
This move got a bit nerfed as well when it transitioned over to Brawl. Jigglypuff's leg no longer grows larger, thus making the hit box for this move smaller. However when combined with the Stutter Step, you can go about 1/6th the length of Final Destination. The potential to kill with this move is still there.

Vertical Kick: Tilt Up (9%)
Jigglypuff kicks backwards, hitting enemies above and behind it.
This used to be the move universal move that would easily allow Jigglypuff users to combo into rest. However, with the new system, this is no longer the move of choice to combo into it since rest kills now at higher percents.

~Tilts~

Low Kick: Tilt Down (10%)
Jiggly ducks and kicks.
Has surprising reach, useful for stopping dash attacks or smacking those lying on the ground. I wouldnt recommend it for it has little knock back.

Spin Kick: Tilt Forward (10%)
A spinning kick.
This move is

(Alright, most of those tilts I dont use, except for uptilt so...Yeah...I need a bit of info on the uses for those. Though I believe that most of those will be situational...So yeah, be sure to post info on those tilts here. However, if there are none, I just keep them as they are.)

~Aerials~

Aerial Kick: A (In the Air) (10%)
A kick in the air.
This move comes out just as fast as jigglypuff performing a bair. It also makes jigglypuff a giant moving hitbox.
(More information in Transitions)

Vertical Punch: Tilt Up (In the Air) (9%)
Jigglypuff punches in the air.
This move is a good move that can juggle opponents into the air. Also another great set up move for Rest.

Aerial Spin Kick: Tilt Down (In the Air) (1-2% per hit)
Jigglypuff kicks a number of times on its way to the ground.
As seen in The King's Rollout Video, This is a good move to keep your opponents off of the edge. It is greatly under used and can be used to make your opponents drop closer to the floor and maybe if the opponent DI's the way you want them to you might be able to fair or bair them right after and then make your way back up to hog the edge. In Brawl, you are able to use this move in the same way, and it keeps them inside of Jigglypuff longer then usual. Allow her to go into different moves after.

Double Kick: Tilt Forward (In the Air) (12%)
Jiggly performs a dropkick in the air.
This is a great attack. It is also a great alternative to use for Jigglypuff's Wall of Pain, or as an alternate to help you get back to the stage.

Single Kick: Tilt Back (In the Air) (12%)
Jigglypuff kicks behind itself.
Another great move for it has incredible knockback and is another essential to the Wall of Pain.

~The Running Attack~

Flying Headbutt: A While Running (12%)
Running headbutt.
This a good move when the opponent is trying to escape from the Wall of Pain for it clears the little space and knocks them back up for another Wall of Pain. This is also another great move that can be used for edge guarding since it has not only vertical reach but horizontal reach as well.i

~Throws~

Forward Throw (10%)
This is a great move for making space between you and your opponent in addition to setting them up for another Wall Of Pain. Works just as well if you throw them off the edge and intercept them by using fair.

Backward Throw (10%)
This is the highest knockback throw and well is used for the same reason the Forward throw is used.

Downward Throw (8%)
This is a better alternative then to up throw. It still sends them up too high, but you have a better chance at getting them by using a down throw.

Upward Throw (11%)
This move throws them up very high into the air...Thats about all its good for and it sends them up too high to even do anything right after

~Special Techniques~

Neutral B (Roll Out) (16%)
When they transferred Rollout over to Brawl they improved the time it takes to charge the attack. In addition, if it makes contact, Jigglypuff’s lag frames have been reduced to almost nothing when she lands. This is a much better attack and I believe you should be able to use it more often in Brawl then you could in Melee

Side B (Pound) (10%)
When transferring Pound over to Brawl, I believe that they have nerfed it a bit. In my opinion I believe that the move’s hitbox has been made smaller, and that it does less damage. However, it now launches the opponent straight up when it makes contact which means it would be easier for a Jigglypuff to start comboing straight out of a Pound. In addition, like in Melee you are able to perform a Rising Pound. A Rising Pound is a technique that allows Jigglypuff the god tier recovery that she had in melee. In order to perform a Rising Pound you do a normal pound and then after that tilt the Control Stick up a little bit and if you have done it right Jigglypuff will go up a little bit when performing her attack. This in combination with her 5 Jumps will allow her to recover from almost anywhere.

Up B (Sing) (N/A)
Sing is still the same in Brawl as it was in Melee. This move puts your opponent to sleep and you still keep on singing. However, there was a nerf in this move. As you all know, you are able to use sing and if you are about to grab the ledge, you grab it and immedietly stop the singing animation. If your opponent was caught in this, you would be able to have them be asleep forever. However, in Brawl, once theyre asleep they cannot be affected by the song again while theyre asleep. No need to worry about this move as you will probably find the use for this move very situational anyways.

Down B (Rest) (16+%)
Rest is the move that Jigglypuff players loved for its ability to hit at any percent and kill an opponent instantly. However in Brawl it has been nerfed and is only able to kill at moderately high percents. The time that Jigglypuff stays asleep is basically the same time in Melee, and the Rest time in Brawl is only faster by a few frames, so it doesn’t really make too much of a difference. You are still open for a long time, allowing your opponent to essentially kill you. In addition, with the new physics engine, it seems as though it is going to be harder to combo into rest, especially since it kills at much, much higher percents in Brawl. However, it also has received a few buffs when it had entered Brawl. When an opponent is hit with a Rest, they also receive a flower on top of their head like they were hit with a lip stick and their damage slowly builds up right after you hit. In addition if you hit the water when you perform a Rest, you instantly wake up upon contact thus allowing you to use Rest with the fear of getting hit for being asleep. Rest over all has been nerfed, but it is still a move to be reconed with…

The following is most, if not all of the rest percentages for each character. I believe DI wasnt applied, so keep that in mind.
The following characters can be KO'd by Jigg's rest starting from said percentage.

I Used a CP in Training mode on Final Destination.

Characters are listed by percentage from highest to lowest.

All Characters included.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DeDeDe - 87%

Snake - 83%

Donkey Kong - 80%

Captain Falcon - 79%

Ike - 77%

Ganondorf - 76%

Bowser - 75%

Link - 75%

Wolf - 73%

Charizard - 72%

Wario - 72%

Yoshi - 71%

ROB - 70%

Ivysaur - 70%

Samus - 69%

Lucario - 68%

Pit - 68%

Sonic - 68%

Marth - 67%

Luigi - 67%

Mario - 67%

Diddy Kong - 66%

Ness - 66%

Falco - 65%

Lucas - 65%

Toon Link - 65%

Ice Climbers - 63%

Pikachu - 62%

Pikmin and Olimar - 62%

Peach - 61%

Zero Suit Samus - 61%

Zelda - 60%

Sheik - 59%

Meta Knight - 59%

Kirby - 59%

Fox - 58%

Mr. Game and Watch - 57%

Squirtle - 54%

Jigglypuff - 52%
As of late, a test was also done with rest that involved DI and the following results were achieved.

So I figured out all the percents that people live until with DI and an attack and its listed in order from dieing first to last:

Jiggs 57%
Metaknight 64%
Sheik 64%
Zelda 65%
Fox 65%
Peach 66%a
Olimar 67%
ZSamus 69%
GW 69%
Y. Link 70%
Lucas 70%
Squirtle 70%
Falco 70%
Kirby 71%
Diddy 71%
Luigi 72%
Pit 73%
Lucario 73%
Rob 75%
Yoshi 77%
Sonic 77%
Charizard 78%
Wario 78%
Wolf 79%
Samus 80%
Mario 81%
Marth 81%
Bowser 81%
Pika 83%
Ivysaur 85%
IC's 86%
C. Falcon 88%
DDD 93%
Ganon 94%
Ike 97%
Link 98%
DK 100%
Snake 103%

*Note 1: Air dodging made the difference about 0-1% of the death percent, an attack is most likely always better to use when you get set back hard enough to die.

*Note 2: Heavier characters do not always die last over the top. There are many other factors such as falling speed, nature of the move used (not all moves cut momentum equally), differences in ability to DI (I don't know if this exist), and other things I don't know about.

*Note 3: While I tested these percents multiple times and such, there is still some possibility of error. There may be a better move to cancel out momentum with any given rested character, and its possible that my timings were off. As far as the timings go, the difference between starting a dair a couple frames apart could mean the difference between ganon dieing at 85% or living at 93%. Generally the hit stun finishes when they are close to the top of the screen but I couldn't tell an exact time when the hit stun wore out so I just mashed an attack over and over again and sometimes the move came out a couple frames sooner than other times. If someone finds out that a character can live longer than what I posted, please mention it.

~Final Smash~
Jigglypuff's final smash is an attack where she grows, freakin HUGE!? and takes up most of the screen. At the end of the attack when she has grown to full size, she yells out Jiggly! And then starts deflating. When that happens, those who are touching Jigglypuff or are near her will be pushed off to the side really far. This attack is best used when your opponent is off the edge or is really really close. SO when you pull off the attack, they are pushed off the edge with no way of getting back on. And when Jigglypuff releases the energy she was building up, they will be pushed off of the side and kill. This attack is best used in smaller stages.

RPK

Smash Lord
~Wall of Pain~

In Brawl, us Jigglypuff users still have the ability to use the Wall Of Pain. The Wall of Pain is supposedly a very easy technique to perform that only involves jumping into the air and performing aerials. It has also improved in Brawl because of Jigglypuff's new ability to perform short hoppped double aerials. With the ability to perform short hopped double aerials, she is now able to easily combo the opponent off the stage with just as much as she was able to in melee. However with the new Decay system it might be a problem. Though this problem can be overcome by having Jigglypuff switch directions in midair and ending the Wall of Pain with another aerial. Perform this technique, and show it at its best and you should rise among the best in no time.

As you should all know, a good Jigglypuff utilizes his Wall Of Pain in order to fend back opponents, and combo the living crap out of them till they are knocked off the stage. In order to perform the Wall of Pain you must do a Full Jump followed by a barrage of Bairs or Fairs. With the height of Jigglypuff's first jump, it is just low enough to high a character such as Fox. Though, now there is a better alternative, and that is to perform short hopped double aerials.

In Brawl, Jigglypuff has gained the new ability to perform short hopped double aerials. With this new ability she is able to perform short hopped double bairs, double fairs, or other techniques. She is also able to perform a short hopped fair, or a bair into an uair in order to pop an opponent up into the air. With this new ability, comboing couldnt have been any easier.

With the ablity to perform short hopped double aerials, it couldnt be any easier to get your opponent off of the stage. As you should all know, you combo your opponent towards the edge of the stage by chaining together bairs and fairs to get them closer towards the edge. As you should have guessed, be sure to save atleast 1 jump to help you recover back to the stage. Learning this is the essential tool for low percentage kills on almost everybody and to becoming a good Jigglypuff. However, with the new Decay System, it kills our knockback for our aerials, and our damage.

With the new Decay System, it essentially kills the knock back, and damage of our aerials. If one move is used too much, it will soon start to decay and become weaker with less damage, and less knockback. In order to revive them, we must use our other aerials to over come the new Decay System. One of the ways is to switch between aerials and the best way to do this is by switching directions in mid air.

The best way to overcome this problem is by switching aerials in the middle of a Wall of Pain. Performing this is very easy and should become second nature in a matter of minutes. In order to switch directions in midair, all you have to do is press a direction and then jump right after and Jigglypuff should be facing in that direction. From there, perform the other aerial to finish them off and end the Wall of Pain.

The Wall of Pain is one of the essential tools to becoming a great Jigglypuff player. A great move that easily combos opponents off of the stage and to their deaths at low percents. Even with the new Decay System, we are able to go around this by performing another aerial to finish. There are other techniques, but learning this is the main staple for Jigglypuffs.

RPK

Smash Lord
~Tricks, Techniques & Combos~
In order to play a good Jigglypuff there are a couple of things you have to learn in order to dominate your opponent. The following are some tricks, techniques and combos that can help your gameplay.

~Empty Short Hops~
If you have trained your opponent enough by having him think your going to be coming at him with aerials every time you short hop at him, mix it up a bit. One of the useful techniques is known as Empty Short Hops. Its very simple, you perform a short hop and right after, do nothing. Thats right, do absolutely nothing during the short hop, and just land. It might not sound useful, but what it could be used for is to help bait your opponent, by short hopping at him and then using DI to go back. If they bite for it, they will perform an attack or grab leaving them wide open for an actual attack.

~Ledge Hopped Aerials~
A ledge hopped aerial is a technique which allows you to utilize any aerial that you want straight from the ledge. In order to perform a Ledge Hopped Aerial, you press down in order to have Jigglypuff let go from the ledge, the immediately after jump. After that you are able to perform any aerial that you please. From the ledge, you are able to attack those who are trying to edge guard you, and make the mistake of standing to close to the ledge. You are also able to use it to edge guard other opponents. Grab the ledge, determine where theyre going to go, and from there, keep on gripping the ledge and let them fall to their death, or get out there and help them get back towards the blast line. A great technique for offensive and defensive purposes. I love this technique.

~Changing Directions~
As said in the last section, you are able to change directions in mid air. It is a technique, and thus deserves to be said here. In order to change directions in mid air, you have to press the opposite way jigglypuff is facing, then jump. If you did it right, Jigglypuff will now be facing the other way.

~Approaching With Your Back Towards The Enemy~

When practicing the Wall Of Pain you will experience times where you want to continue hitting them with a chain of Bairs, but instead you change directions, and do a fair instead. In order to help prevent that you must do the opposite of what I said before. In order to keep chaining together those Bairs, instead of pressing a direction and jumping, you must do almost the exact opposite. You have to jump and then after that press the direction you want to go. If you did it right, Jigglypuff will perform a jump towards the opponent, and you will still have your back towards the opponent.

~Short Hopped Double Aerials~
With the new Jigglypuff you are now able to perform two aerial attacks in one short hop. The following combinations are:

Bair into anything
Fair into anything
And that is about it....

Also, be wary when using 2 aerials. With the new shielding system, it is easier for an opponent to retaliate if they shield both of your attacks.

~Auto Canceled Aerials~

As you should know, Jigglypuff has the ability to perform Short Hopped Double Aerials. With this Jigglypuff's aerial attacks automatically have no lag upon landing if you perform them when rising during a short hop.

~Short Hopped Drill Into Rest~
With Jigglypuff's aerials being autocanceled when you short hop, it is easier to combo a Dair, or Drill, into a rest. However, be aware that they might have the ability to DI out of this.

~Bair Check~

One of the tricks that I did when I played melee was to pull a short hopped Bair, hit them with the tip of the attack and then go away. With this I was able to attack them without too much fear of retaliation as you will be out of their grab range, and upsmash range if you spaced it correctly. If they jump out of the shield and come at you with an attack, you can always jump again and attack them before you land, or do another aerial to counter them.

~Airdodging~

Because of the new airdodging system, we are now able to combine our 5 jumps with airdodging making us nearly impossible to approach if it is applied correctly.

~Perfect Shield~

Because of the new powershielding system, you can do almost anything right of out a powershield. So, best pull out a rest right off the bat for free damage. Works best on characters that have a lot of lag after their attacks such as Ike or Wolf after his F-smash

~Gliding Upsmash~

A trick that allows you to move faster on the ground and has you do an upsmash right out of it. And thats going to be your only option by the way...You can only do an upsmash...But anyways what happens is that you suddenly go sliding across the ground while charging or doing an upsmash. This will be really useful to us Jigglypuff players since he have crappy ground movement and will allow us just that little bit of maneuverability on the ground that we needed. In order to perform it do the following.
-Run
-Press down on the C-stick to perform a dash attack. (Yes you have to use the C-stick. Why you cant use the A button I dont know...)
-Press up and Z to perform an Upsmash. You can probably use A but Z is the faster and easier way to do an upsmash since you will be pressing down on the C stick with your thumb.

If you have performed it correctly, then Jigglypuff should be sliding across the ground performing or charging her upsmash.
(Also, if anyone knows, please give me the name of the person who discovered this technique so I can give proper credit.)

RPK

Smash Lord
~Edge Guarding~

Edge guarding with Jigglypuff is also an important staple in learning this character. She has a very good edge guard considering that she has multiple jumps. Each of her aerial attacks play a very important roll when Edge Guarding your opponent. There are multiple ways to Edge Guard an opponent. There are also multiple tactics to make them fall further and further towards the bottom blast line of the stage. However, before going out and attacking your opponent, you must think about what your going to do ahead of time in order to take them down. Her ability to Edge Guard is incredible & should be used to your advantage.

She has a very good edge game because she has 5 jumps total in addition to her rising pounds. In combination with her Wall of Pain, she is able to take opponents towards the edge of the screen, reset her jumps by grabbing the stage, and then go back out and prevent them from coming back. She has one of the best, if not the best edge guarding potential in the entire game. Her Fair, and bair are important attacks when trying to Edge Guard your opponent. However, every aerial plays an important roll in her Edge Guarding game.

All of her aerials have a purpose when it comes to Edge Guarding an opponent and can sometime be just as important as her Fair or Bair. Her Nair is an attack that comes out quickly, and the hitbox envelopes her entire body thus making her a moving attack. Her Dair is also there to help bring the opponent down closer to the blast line, and when the attack is finished, they are either in front of her, or down below her giving you the choice to keep attacking or to leave them down there and make your way back up towards the top. Using these in combination, opens up a variety of ways in to keep your opponent off of the stage and force him to stay off.

The best way to keep your opponent off of the stage is to jump off and use a specific combination in her aerials to help fend them off. For example you have the ability to give them a light Fair, drag them down further towards the bottom blast line and then after hit them with a hard Fair, bringing them closer to where both of the blast lines intersect. Another way is to use her Nair to help eat through recoveries and projectiles that come your way, and to hit them away with a Forward Air. Everything will do, however, it will be of no use if you don’t think.

The best way over all to Edge Guard your opponent is to sit on top of the stage, waiting for them to make a move. Everything that your going to do must be planned ahead of time. Your choice of edge guard must be predetermined depending on what character you are going to be going up against. Every time you are about to face an opponent, look at their character, determine their weight, floatiness, and your ability to easily combo them and how you are able to bring them towards the Blast line. The best thing to do is to have everything planned ahead of time.

Using these combinations will you have your opponent off of the stage, and ensured that he stays off. By combining her aerial attacks, and determining a plan of action when the time comes is key to Edge Guarding an opponent. Everything you have in mind must have been determined ahead of time. Jigglypuff has an excellent Edge Guarding game, but you must be smart enough in order to utilize it and unlock her full potential to get a character off the stage and make sure that he stays off.

~Stages~

There are a number of stages that give an advantage to Jigglypuff. Some of the reasons are more obvious then others. Below, Im going to be listing the following stages that can help give Jigglypuff the upper hand and why it does so.

~Final Destination~

Reason: This is one of the counter picks for Jigglypuff because of the decently high ceiling and the fact that there are no platforms. With no platforms, it is easier to perform the Wall of Pain on your opponent with out any interfierence of platforms. In addition you are able to also put them into a situation where they can be edge guarded.

~Delfino Plaza~
Reason: The main reasons for this is because of how the stage is. The stage is almost like Mute City. Since we dont have one in Brawl this will be our new fort. With people being able to come through the main platform, Jigglypuff players will be able to camp under it and basically be a shark. Also, in Delfino Plaza...There is water, and lots of it. And as you should all know, when Jigglypuff hits water after a rest, she immedietly wakes up! And when theyre in the water, theyre unable to block so use that to your advantage.

~Pirate Ship~

Reason: Water...Lots of freakin water...

~Port Town Aero Dive~
Reason:If this stage isnt banned, then it is another good stage for Jigglypuff users. Like Mute City, you travel around to different parts of the stage on a speeding platform which also has no grabbable ledges...So this is a good area for Jigglypuff users to use Rollout and have a much much much higher chance of them hitting their opponent.

~Halberd~

Reason:Your able to act like a shark, and hide under the main platform and attack them from beneath. Use the grabable edges to help restore your jumps before going back out into the air.

~Brinstar~

Reason:Some Jigglypuff users argue that this might be another counter pick. Why? I dont know ._.

~Jungle Japes~
Reason:One of my favorite counter picks in the last days of melee when I wasnt able to pick Mute City. With the platforms stationed the way they are, you are able to instantly grab the edges to reset your jumps while keeping yourself level with your opponent. In addition, if you perform a Rollout, you can then instantly grab the edge to stop and reset your jumps to then continue your assult on the opponent. In addition, Jungle Japes has a VERY high ceiling making it much harder for you to get KO'd off of the top. However, with the new rest, it also makes it harder for you to KO others with Rest, so be aware of that.

RPK

Smash Lord
~FAQ~

How do I unlock Jigglypuff?
You are able to unlock by playing 350 Brawl Matches OR Fight her in Swamp stage in SSE after completing it OR complete Events 1-20

Why shouldnt I have my shield broken?
Because you immedietly die by shooting straight up and turning into a star...

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
haha, darn, I just signed on to post a guide that I was working on, oh well. Nice guide.

You can also combo nair into rest by short hopping an autocanceled nair from the side. Its hard as hell to do and it might not have much use but just throwing it out there.

RPK

Smash Lord
It doesnt matter, dude. Post it anyways! It could be just like the Fox section in melee where it has like 7+ guides and theyre all recent xD

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
If I had it typed out yet I would, but anyways, your guide is pretty similar to mine, so I'll just help out in this thread and spend my time now doing other stuff XD

After reading some of the guide, I have a few comments:

While having the ability to shorthop double bair is a great tool while comboing people (well as much of a combo as brawl will allow), its not good to spam it against someone's shield. One of the best things jiggs has going for her is the autocanceled aerials. When you double bair you hit the ground during the second bair and have landing lag, and with the new shield system if your opponents react quickly they'll get a quick hit on you.

There was no mention of the jump to rising pound recovery that was widely used in melee. I haven't tested it yet, so is the rising pound recovery not mentioned because it doesn't have the same effect as it did in melee, or did you simply forget to mention it?

Edit: you have up tilt under "smash attacks"

RPK

Smash Lord
Yeah I just didnt mention it yet....Its like 7 in the morning and I have yet to sleep...What a decision huh? xD But yeah, I havent put in any of the special moves yet...
Also, if moves hit a shield do they still decay like they normally would, or does it actually have to hit them in order for it to go into effect?
Also, you can always just bair once and DI away if they shield ._.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I think you need to actually hit them with a move for it to start to decay, but I'm not completely sure.

You should also have an edge guarding topic. Here's some stuff that works good for it.

Running off the stage and fairing works well against most characters if they are recovering from below the stage. In most cases it will trade with the other person and they will go flying because the fair has good knock back and jiggs will most likely be fine because in general, most up b's don't have much knock back after the initial hit.

Also, if they are out from the stage, at stage height, you could try just going in their face with fairs or a safer approach to this is to try to space well and poke them with a weak fair, and then once you connect with one it should combo into a strong fair.

Edit: This should probably get stickied.

RPK

Smash Lord
Ill probably put it in the section where rest is and just put it back in the Move Lists section...I was going to have 1 devoted to it since it has its own percents that it kills at and what not now...

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Also, you wake up from a rest when you hit water, so if you find yourself above water on either that one DK stage or delfino plaza, it generally doesn't hurt to try throwing out a couple rests.

RPK

Smash Lord
I have just updated the guide. Please look over it and if there is anything you want to add, or that you think I am missing, please post it in here.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Stages

You need to add a section for stages that Jiggy can benefit from. Pretty much any stage where you can jump through from underneath the main platform are good stages, like Delfino Plaza or Halberd. A good tactic, after grabbing the edge, is to attack from underneath the stage with some uairs, fairs, bairs, or rising pounds.

*EDIT*
You should probably mention her FS. I didn't see it anywhere in the guide.

cmart

Smash Lord
I don't see it mentioned, but rest appears to have a larger hitbox. I was doing some tests with it the other day, and there certainly seems to be a lot more puff that hits with it, especially to the rear of Jiggz character model. There also may be a larger aerial hitbox than grounded, but my tests on that front were inconclusive. : \
If this is already mentioned and I missed it, my apologies.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I was checking some stuff out with the rest and realized that characters died over the top from the rest at the same exact percent on all of the possible neutral stages.

Also the rest death chart thing is without DI, but it is with air dodging after an attack. In general Mario tended to live about 5-10% longer with DI, I didn't write the number down so I don't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure it was between those percents.

When your opponent is at a higher percent they tend to get knocked back by the dair instead of getting drilled into a rest. Which, can leave you open, so the dair is generally bad to use after they get hit back. If I can get a break from school work, I'll test the percents in which characters start getting knocked back.

RPK

Smash Lord
Also....I had an epic 5 hit combo today...Bair, jump, turn around, fair, fair, uair, rest. I was like -pause- HOLY SHI7!?!?! And it was on a medium weight character too...So I still have faith about comboing into rest! Its just probably going to be more situational this time around....

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
There should probably be a section mentioning ADZing aswell... [airdodge zagging] aka using your extra jumps to take advantage of your infinite airdodges bassically making Jigglypuff [and any other character w/ additional jumps] broken on approach.

Also on the note of RPK's sexy combo'ed'ness .. RPK is sexy.

Another titbit of information i was sad to find out was that Jiggs [in teams] lost alot of her life tanking skills due to the fact that most every toon survives up through 120+ w/ DI so your looking at a much larger rise in ROB's and Pikachus in comparison to Jiggs :(

There's also some pretty retardeda$$ $hit you can g@y people w/ using Uairs and rest at relativly low percents.... i feel a combo vid coming.....

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
chozenOne: what are you talking about with uairs and rests at low percent? If you do a rest at almost any percent that doesn't kill, you will totally get wrecked after they come back down.

Also, I was ****ing around in training mode and saw that sometimes bair to bair is actually a true combo. And dair to rest is way good.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Bow... if you Uair-->Rest when your opponent is high enough in the air it WILL gimp them... and due to excessive knockback on floaties [and everyone is floaty now..] you can pop ppl up in the air relativly easily...

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I dunno if this was discovered or not but Jiggs's Dair has the potential trip standing opponents. I dunno the exact positioning but I've done it in a few times in matches today. You could potentially tech chase their roll into a rest or a WoP or something.

TheStig

Smash Lord
I did a quick test to see the damage that rest does (Jiggs vs Jiggs). If you hit them with rest and they stand still, the total damage is about 45%. If your opponent moves quickly back and forth, the lip's stick falls off early and the damage is actually around 33%.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I dunno if this was discovered or not but Jiggs's Dair has the potential trip standing opponents. I dunno the exact positioning but I've done it in a few times in matches today. You could potentially tech chase their roll into a rest or a WoP or something.
...Or you could just do dair to rest. Its a combo if you autocancel it right.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I was ****ing around in training mode again and saw that uair to rest is a true combo if you hit them with the lower part of your hitbox while jumping. The only percent I tried it at was 30% on a lucario, but taking stale hits and heaviness and the related **** into account, you could probably pull it off at killing percents.

also, on a less important note, utilt true combos into utilt or uair at very low percents, but then they can pretty much jump out of your next move no matter what, so you gotta read what they do and act accordingly. (Its kinda like tech chasing in the air.)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
they have the ability to di out of it, but you also have the ability to read how they are going to di and react accordingly.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I thought it could be tap DI'd out of though.
People need to seriously stop calling it tap DI. Its ****ing smash DI'ing repeatedly, so you should say the following:

NESSBOUNDER said:
I thought it could be SMASH DI'd out of though.
Its been around since melee and should not have a new name just because its a new game.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
So I was checking out stuff with rest killing percents on DIing people, and 1. found out that air dodging has basically no effect on when people die from the rest, and 2. the rest is the ****ing single gayest piece of **** move that those ****ers in japan ****ing stuck on that god **** cd.

Let me elaborate:
if characters DIed and did an attack (dair is generally the one that makes you live longest) they lived for ****ing ever, its gay as hell.

Here are some of the percents before the rest that some of the characters died at and the move I used to slow the knock back speed and the percent that it is safe to use dair to rest granted that at least 6 of the 8 hits land from the dair doing at least 12%.

Mario 81% Dair 69%
DK 100% Dair 88%
Link 98% Dair 86%
Samus 80% Dair 68%
ZSS 69% Fair 57%
Kirby 71% Dair 59%
Fox 65% Dair 53%
Pika 83% Dair 71%
Marth 81% Dair 69%
GW 69% Dair 57%
Snake 103% Dair 91%
Ike 97% Dair 85%

(This is all I've done so far because it takes a lot of time and I didn't want to do it anymore. I'll finish it later.)
Some of the characters are reasonable to kill with a rest but others are ********. And whats worse is once the other guy starts to get towards 130%, dair starts to knock back, meaning no dair to rest combo.

bair and uair and all that **** can lead into rest at low percents but there is no way in hell that it is going to lead into rest at killing percents, and no matter how high they travel upwards, they are almost always able to get down to you before you wake up and hit you with whatever they want. Which the rest does do 33-45%, according to theStig, so with the lack of combos and such, it may be advantageous to rest anyways when you are at low percents because you won't die, but either way, its gay as hell... and don't miss, cause if they get to charge up an attack, you probably will die.

Bow... if you Uair-->Rest when your opponent is high enough in the air it WILL gimp them... and due to excessive knockback on floaties [and everyone is floaty now..] you can pop ppl up in the air relativly easily...
After playing a lot, I don't think this is going to be possible... unfortunately :(

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
So I figured out all the percents that people live until with DI listed them in order from dieing first to last:

Edit: I compared the %'s to dieing without DI and it basically shows which characters live longer when they use attacks over air dodging. ie. The +5's are basically equally effected by air dodges and attacks.

Jiggs 57% +5
Metaknight 64% +5
Sheik 64% +5
Zelda 65% +5
Fox 65% +7
Peach 66% +5
Olimar 67% +5
ZSamus 69% +8
GW 69% +12
Y. Link 70% +5
Lucas 70% +5
Squirtle 70% +16
Falco 70% +5
Kirby 71% +12
Diddy 71% +5
Luigi 72% +5
Pit 73% +5
Lucario 73% +5
Rob 75% +5
Yoshi 77% +6
Sonic 77% +9
Charizard 78% +6
Wario 78% +6
Wolf 79% +6
Samus 80% +11
Mario 81% +14
Marth 81% +14
Bowser 81% +6
Pika 83% +21
Ivysaur 85% +15
IC's 86% +23
C. Falcon 88% +9
DDD 93% +6
Ganon 94% +18
Ike 97% +20
Link 98% +23
DK 100% +20
Snake 103% +20

*Note 1: Air dodging made the difference about 0-1% of the death percent, an attack is most likely always better to use when you get set back hard enough to die.

*Note 2: Heavier characters do not always die last over the top. There are many other factors such as falling speed, nature of the move used (not all moves cut momentum equally), differences in ability to DI (I don't know if this exist), and other things I don't know about.

*Note 3: While I tested these percents multiple times and such, there is still some possibility of error. There may be a better move to cancel out momentum with any given rested character, and its possible that my timings were off. As far as the timings go, the difference between starting a dair a couple frames apart could mean the difference between ganon dieing at 85% or living at 93%. Generally the hit stun finishes when they are close to the top of the screen but I couldn't tell an exact time when the hit stun wore out so I just mashed an attack over and over again and sometimes the move came out a couple frames sooner than other times. If someone finds out that a character can live longer than what I posted, please mention it.

Top Bottom