• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jigglypuff 101] A Jigglypuff Guide by RPK

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
for unlocking jigglypuff, what avout the one that says you need to beat classic mode with any char but ike? i tried that but didnt get jiggly, and for toon link i beat classic with link but again didnt get toon link. im guessing to get them in classic u have to beat SSE?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
for unlocking jigglypuff, what avout the one that says you need to beat classic mode with any char but ike? i tried that but didnt get jiggly, and for toon link i beat classic with link but again didnt get toon link. im guessing to get them in classic u have to beat SSE? and also great guide thx:)

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
for unlocking jigglypuff, what avout the one that says you need to beat classic mode with any char but ike? i tried that but didnt get jiggly, and for toon link i beat classic with link but again didnt get toon link. im guessing to get them in classic u have to beat SSE? and also great guide thx:)
yes, you have to beat SSE before you can unlock any of them (unless you play lots of vs matches...)

RPK, nice guide...but uptilt is still under the 'smashes' section...you should change that.

also, am i the only one that thinks theres less lag after rest in brawl than melee? if not, you should change that too.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
If by less lag, you mean, wakes up faster, then you're right. She does wake up faster, but even with waking up faster, if you don't kill the other person, they'll have enough time to come down and hit you with something. Its so gay. With that being said, jiggs rest is still a very good move.

TheStig

Smash Lord
i though that rest takes the same amount of time in both melee and brawl (from the Jigglypuff's rest comparison video in the video thread)

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
ok, so literally, you don't wake up faster, but everything in the game is slower, so virtually, you do wake up faster.

TheAmazingJordo

Smash Cadet
Bowyer is right, it seems the frames you stay asleep are the same, but due to Brawls slower gameplay, in a situation where Jigglypuff would normally be punished by a dozen Lasers and a fully charged USmash, doesn't really happen because of the slower pace of Brawl.

After full day of playing a skilled DeDeDe I have no choice but to add my own input on the DeDeDe / Jiggly matchup;

When it comes to vsing a D3, I find the match up very similar to a Bowser in Melee. D3 has very slow moves, and everything is very punishable by a Rest:
Up B onto stage = Rest
Fsmash while behind = Rest
Dash Attack = Rest
Pound = Rest..
Other than that, D3 is just an easy target for a random rest.

I also didn't seem to have much trouble with my approach, as I was just spamming WoP on his shield until I go through it and followed up with a Uair, and Juggled him around a bit, and eventually got him off the stage, enough to Fair him off, Fsmash him off or something along those likes. Rollout doesn't work too well on D3 because of the multiple jumps, unless they trip or you want to punish a Laggy move from afar.

That's it for my DeDeDe matchup for tonight it's 2AM, I'll write up more when I'm thinking straight tommorow.

Also, in Brawl I noticed Jigglypuff is no longer a WoP/Resty character, and I believe a good Jigglypuff in Brawl will now have to be played similar to THIS or as it was called, a Combo'y Jigglypuff.
Also, I think at the moment, Jigglypuff is being underrated and underplayed at the moment, so we've got our work cut out for us, the few of us there is.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
We need to discuss when rest should be used. In this rest is fairly easy to pull off and it does 33-45% but the down side is that characters don't start dieing until at least upper 60% and some don't die until around 100%, and if they don't die, they will practically always have a free shot on you. But that doesn't mean you should wait until they will die to rest them. Its like playing against a peach in melee, you should rest away because what's she gonna do to you? While there are characters that will be able to own the **** outta you with a single uncharged attack (ike), most won't be able to kill you from it if you are at a low enough percent and the damage you give them will be greater than you will take... (Ok, I want to type more, but its really late, and the only reason I'm still awake is because when I got home, my dog attacked me and I have bloody holes in the back of my head that I'm keeping pressure on, and the bleeding finally stopped and I'm going to get in the shower to wash the blood out of my hair before it sticks my hair to my head. :). I'll type more Monday.)

cmart

Smash Lord
(Ok, I want to type more, but its really late, and the only reason I'm still awake is because when I got home, my dog attacked me and I have bloody holes in the back of my head that I'm keeping pressure on, and the bleeding finally stopped and I'm going to get in the shower to wash the blood out of my hair before it sticks my hair to my head. :). I'll type more Monday.)
0_o Well that's a bit hardcore.

On the rest timing I'm tempted to agree. Even if rest doesn't kill, it seems like most characters don't have a good fast option to really punish you badly for it. Even if it misses, at low damage, few characters are going to be able to hurt you as much as you just did them (considering how hard it is to combo). Of course this is essentially the same as trading hits with someone, which has never been the best idea with Jiggz, but still. I think the real question we should be considering is this:

Is it really worth the move decay to use rest early on? The move already has trouble killing at mid precents. Using it to build damage is going to make it that much harder to kill with later on. Any thoughts on this?

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I don't generally rest unless i am 100% sure it is going to KO my opponent.. this is also the same reason that I don't waste ROB's laser until it is fully charged.. Getting KO's in brawl is hard enough as it is.. and if you're attempting to do an early rest you best be **** sure you can pull it off.. also ALOT of character that are played can [very nastily] punish a sleepy Jiggs.. when the decay system was first discovered and talked about, there was some clear discussion about conserving "kill moves" until they needed to be used.. just think about how many times you've come back from a death as Jiggs and killed your opponent due to a Fair/Bair.. but after all the spamming during game play how it really losses it's knockback, and all you can really do w/ it is combo/ edgeguard. Im personally very sparring w/ my restage.. and outside of Dair-->Rest im also relativly quite relucant to randomly rest like i used to..

I think we all know the payoff these days isn't quite what it used to be...

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
<3 RPK /huggg

also.. i believe the reason that this isn't getting stickied is b/c there are so many guides not only in this section but others that the mods probably feel that the boards are being flooded so they're relucant to throw stickys out to random people due to the large influx of active ppl on the boards now...

and on a totally random note... i need a new counterpick for MK.. ROB/Jiggs just aren't cutting it and I AM NOT PICKING UP WOLF.... scarring is for f@gs.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
RPK you should add the technique that when Jigglypuff powershieilds a smash attack or something he can immeditly use rest and get a hit on them. It works best on Wolf's Fsmash.

m3cadet

Smash Rookie
RPK you should add the technique that when Jigglypuff powershieilds a smash attack or something he can immeditly use rest and get a hit on them. It works best on Wolf's Fsmash.
What would be the best way to practice this?

RPK

Smash Lord
Wow...My friend would own me in this game now that I think of it...He plays 3rd strike so...yeah...powershielding/parrying.....And he's good at that...-is scared- @_@
EDIT: In other news I have updated the guide.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The PS to rest was originally discovered by Snake Players because Snake can do the same thing but instead plant a C4 on his opponent. Most Fsmashes cause the opponent to move horizontally if you perfect sheild it they'll be right inside you and you can rest them.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
lmao, originally discovered by snake players? Isn't it common sense that if you PS a hit that doesn't have a disjointed hitbox, you'll probably be able to rest them. Actually, why not just normal shield the hit and then rest them, its not like there's any shield or hit lag in this game, lol.

RPK

Smash Lord
Well there is also the possiblity of your shield being pushed back too far for a rest. With Powershielding you also keep your ground. So for example a Ike's F-smash came down on your head, if you Powershield you wont be pushed back all the way to the tip. So yeah...Also, I think we need to airdodge more...I dunno, I need to work on that continuous air dodging...So Airdodge, attack and then like Air dodge away. It hella helped me out in a 2 on 1....God that was scary...
EDIT: Also in addition...
Well since I cant find it I might as well explain it. There is a thing that you will probably see Snake players do where they suddenly slide across the screen doing an Upsmash. Its a new movement trick that has been discovered. I dont know by who though...But anyways. In order to do so you have to Run, press down on the C-stick to do a dash attack, then quickly after press up and Z to perform the upsmash. If you did it right you should go sliding a lot further then normal when you do a normal upsmash out of a dash attack.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
IMO Island Delfino is by far Jigglypuffs best stage.

-You can act like the usual gay Mute City Jigglypuff
- Water means rest cancels
and the best part of them all is
When the stage leaves a part of the island sometimes its not totally visible when it leaves and it goes very fast so you can kill your opponent. if you keep him to the left side of the stage it will rise up at a fast rate you can recover but they won't be able to!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
lmao, mute city was good because you couldn't grab the edge. You can definitely grab the edge on delfino.
You obviously don't know the way you play mute city jigglypuff. You go under the stage and you do aireals and act like a shark. The other reason your talking about is knocking them off then doing rollout.

Anyways.
Heres a small guide against DDD

DDD, hes big, he strong, he can spam, and hes fast enough in a good players hand for him to stop you from resting him, and if your going to rest him, it better darn well hit, and he'd better be at a high %. Jigglypuff canno't act defensive in this game because DDD can keep spamming Waddle Dees and he'll get a gordo which will kill you at a low %. He has many ways of killing you, his trip, FSmash, Bair, a gordo, and sometimes a u tilt. The best thing you can do is to avoid his Waddle Dees and get close to him and Sheild grab if hes trying to B air you. Get him off the stage at all costs. Now DDD has enough jumps and his aireals are bigger than jigglys so he'll be doing a bunch of them so if you try going down there he'll hit you. Just sit there and let him do it, he'll run out of jumps then he'll do it b up. DO NOT GET HIT BY IT. If he knows hes not gonna hit you he'll cancel it and drop to the side of the edge. When he lands from his B up it gives a big horizontal attack, like Yoshi's B down, but much much bigger. If he misses you and dosn't cancel it out and hes high enough % thats your best chance to do the rest. DDD can chain grab many characters, but he can't on Jigglypuff. That dosn't mean he can't Techchase though. If he predicts your move he could land you with a smash attack or grab you again. To avoid being grabed do short arieals to diminish his shield w/o landing on the ground. If DDD has an almost broken sheild and is high enough % go ahead and rest him, Hes almost defensles without his sheild and that was the only thing that stopped you from doing the rest. Another last tip is when he knocks you off the edge he'll try to b air you so instead of coming from the top, approch the ledge from below and it will make it harder for him to hit you.

RPK

Smash Lord
K, that sounds good. Though I need a bit of say from others before I post it. I dont want any misinformation. No offense to you, but Im just making sure my guide has very accurate stuff in it. Dont want to mislead anyone ^^;;
Btw, Im really tired right now and dont wanna read so yeah...

RPK

Smash Lord
I called it a sliding upsmash lol. Didnt know the actual name. Too lazy to change it though till I need to add something new to it xD

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lol your freaking me out with that stuff. Can we just get back on topic now?

BTW I find it weird when sombody wants my babys....

Top Bottom