• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alberta Brawl Power Rankings!**ON HIATUS**

Status
Not open for further replies.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Alright, I've put enough thought into this, after talking to plenty of people, we all agree Alberta needs its own power rankings, and I decided totake charge of brawl.

This is generally designed to make players keep their competitive motivation to get better as to improve the community, while at the same time showing anyone from out of town a rough idea of how we rank up together.

(Thanks BC for this)
How Position is Determined​

Tournaments

• Its not just how well you place in a tournament but who you play in the tournament and how well you do against them. If you clearly had the easiest bracket then it will not bump you a lot. If you had the toughest bracket and did decent in that bracket it will most likely boost you a bit.
    This is also based on Singles and Doubles and Crews..
Consistency
  • How well they do on a constant basis. If they can do good one day but the next day they are doing very bad or not. If someone does good in 1 tournament but then totally bomb their next tournament or 2 then they will most likely not be as high as they think.

Tournament Competition
  • Tournaments with full of noobs will not be counted. Only serious tournaments will be added. Tournaments with out of towners or any big names will possible count more towards your ranking.

Take in mind, at this moment, it is really only infuenced by the results of one tournament (CT4) because tis the only real brawl tournament we've had. the list itself was based off the results and our panel then edited it.

speaking of our panel, it consists of myself, SuPeRbOoM, Tyson and Sid currently(for brawl) and Myself, Mike W, and Victor for melee (looked over by Carl, Luke, Sid). But I expect it to change and grow slightly as more representitives join the scene.

Anyways, without further adieu.

Change | Position | Name | Location | Mains

**UPDATE 07-21-2008**
New Brawl List.

Please only serious discussions.
None of those "But I can beat (insert name) I should be higher then him/her!" complaints.
Think someone is poorly ranked and deserves higher or vise versa? Explain why with a serious reason.

and absolutely NO flaming/Bickering, if you have a problem with the list, discuss it with me directly, but its been run by the panel a few times before it is put out, so expect to have to PROVE your worth to make a change.

Thanks.

kithkin

Smash Champion
In case I need this spot.

Lotta edmontons there...

I hope calgary shows to the next tournament. I want alex up in there, he deserves top 10 at least IMO

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I think i should be higher, but w/e it's the first one. By the end of summer I am sure it will change... right?

kithkin

Smash Champion
Yeah it'll change, this is pretty much entirely based off CT4, both doubles and singles.

and yeah KillLock, I'll fix that

edit: Remember guys, we're still missing at least 3 guys from calgary that IMO should be on there, just I can't influence this thing alone.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Yeah, I know, thats why the list is currently a little wonky, because its pretty much CT4 doubles and singles results.

But hey, Me and Alex hope to attend ADAT

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
I think i should be higher, but w/e it's the first one. By the end of summer I am sure it will change... right?
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm confident you'll place high in future tournaments. One tournament doesn't make a Power Ranking, once multiple tournaments come down the road we'll see who really deserves to be placed high and who doesn't. So good luck in the future and don't be so frown, this is based off of one tournament and the Panel's overall decision.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Im gonna pull a steve and not play with anyone then randomly show up and be at par or better than the community.

Just kidding I'll try and make the next tourney.
Ive never played a competetive brawl match as of yet.

Im dissapointed in the lack of friendship in the top 15 tho I must say.

I wanna be on the Edmonkin power rankings too!

kithkin

Smash Champion
Steve pull a Sid and suck the day before the tournament but then pull second like it wasn't even hard.

also, yeah, CT4 results, no offence to anyone, but there was no pools, the brackets were pretty bad for placement. I mean, people played one opponent and got 9th. it wasn't really that good, cause all you had to do was beat one scrub and you're automatically placed better than that unlucky guy who got ***** by Tyson and Dan.

Its gonna change a ton with ADAT, and I hope more of the players we all know are good will sow up *cough* calgary*cough*

kithkin

Smash Champion
lololololol.

It's sad, I didt even get to play a metaknight, but I wanted to prove hes not even that good. people just get wrecked by him because they can't handle it.

I can handle it with Bowser, grow up.

Not to sound cocky, but seriously.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Metaknight isnt nearly as godly in comparison to the others as fox was in melee so I would have to agree with you.

On a side note, brawl seems quite balanced character wise.
which actually scares me, because people are gonna find a few really cheap techniques and abuse them, making those few characters basically unbeatable.

in melee, characters are very diverse and unbalanced, but that almost keeps the good moves in check because everyone has something really good.

like if jiggly puff wall of pain was like un beatable, you could always camp her out with falco lasers, or marths range is too good, but fox is fast enough to get in through marths sword. Or wobbling is too good, but a good needle game on top of the platforms can ensure you dont get grabbed. etc.
These are all terrible examples, but my point is, theres fast, slow, strong, weak, campy, aggressive ALL TYPES of characters in melee.
Brawl seems to be all about abusing moves, and camping.

on topic,
I like how everyone plays different characters in the rankings. the only one who shows up twice is metaknight. Bowser shows up 1.5 times. But i must say it again, Im dissapointed in the lack of friendship in the top 15.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I think its more that CT4 didn't have pools, so the results arn't actually that great, theres people on the list that in my opinion shouldnt even be close.

But I dont think anyone should complain yet, just prove you're better.

But I agree, I don't see why everyones so disgruntled, its not like the community.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
To sum up why the community is not as strongly unified and getting pissy w/each other.:

Respect, esp. regarding the topic of Brawl < Melee.

Sigh... Now I know they are different games so please don't bring that up. I also do not want to dedicate this post to defending the above. There are a multitude of threads on the topic already. On the other hand, I will gladly defend that statement, but I think that would be best done in a private arena rather than spamming this thread. This may also not be the best thread to post in, but I believe it is relevant in the way the PR has become another catalyst in the brawl debate.

The fact is some people want to see more melee, but they are the minority, and a loud and sometimes rude one at that. Due to the influx of new gamers from brawl's release and the fact that most melee players play brawl too (to some extent) means that the brawl population is larger then that of melee's.

Melee players need to understand where their game stands as far as new releases into a competive environment. I'm going to use good ol' street fighter as an example because it has had many new releases and yet... SFII is still at Evo, a tournament that right now dwarfs even the largest of smash tournaments. (tangent: they may not know brawl, but give them respect regarding most traditional 2d fighters and holding big motherf*ckin tournies).

SFII is a game that was released 17 years ago and continues to have a dedicated following of hardcore gamers. Now over the past 17 years there have been a multitude of offshoots of the street fighter franchise, some staying truer to the original (CvS2) than others (MvC2). These have all taken players away from playing SFII, while at the same time expanding the overall SF community. There will always be those who go back to SFII because of the quality of the game. Also, players of a newer, younger generation are introduced to it via combined tournaments, and most importantly the veteran players at those tournaments. SFII will never again be the kingsh*t, but it will also never die. There have also been releases in those 17 years that have been popular during their heyday as the new game-du-jour, and have faded as quickly as they rose (SFIII: 2nd Impact. Go google/wiki it).

As the above applies to melee: Its been 3 months since the release of Brawl. It is a game in it's infant stages that will evolve. I am a firm believer that it will become a far deeper game. It will also continue to grow and grow in popularity for a long time, and yet I still think its time will pass. Melee was released 7 years ago. It will continue to decline in popularity, perhaps not within the hardcore bunch of us on these boards who love it dearly, but in general, its numbers will go down. This would be a good point to accept right now. Also, flaming brawl is not the answer. Any brawl player is a potential melee player (or already is). If you want them playing melee, you can't go hating on the thing they love, as that will only make them resent you (and consequently melee) and hold on to brawl even tighter.

The most important thing to know is in fact that melee is the superior game. That being said it will stand the test of time, as it has for the last 7 years, and continue to have a strong competitive community. How large that community is depends on what you do now. Do not alienate yourself from the smash community as a whole on the basis of "brawl sux". That may be your opinion and one you hold onto dearly, but if you like melee, and like playing other people rather than cpus, you might want to be a respected community member and not a troll.

Which brings us back to respect. Do it. Now. The incessant flaming over this topic does nothing but create a crappy atmosphere, and furthens the divide between players. I strongly believe that this is the fault of the melee community. Pretty much all the "brawl players" I know play melee too (sidenote: there were some people at ct4 I met who only played brawl and didn't give melee so much as an afterthought. They were also scrubs, and were not as loud about their one-game-only attitude), its only the melee camp that has purists. The high horse will get you no where but bad places. Play brawl. And none of this wifi sh*t. 2 (or more) players on the same screen in the same room. And enjoy it. Forget about melee for a while and explore this new world that is brawl.

Long live Melee.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i dont get it lol

lack of friendship on the top 15? what do u mean?

everyone i met was friendly haha

Tyson651

Smash Lord
edit: nvm lol

and thanks spin dash, u smell like mcdonalds loser

haha jokes

kithkin

Smash Champion
Hey, Mike is right, as much as none of you understand it, in short he's just saying that the old melee pros need to lighten up.

We're all drawing way to harsh of consequences.

and there is some frustration between the top 15 right now, as I already know behind the scenes people are complaining about their spots.

edit: oh and by the way, no, he said a lot more than that, and much better than I did, its just how I took it/re-wrote it

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Actually, all I see is people misinterpreting what Melee pros are saying as even requiring a "lightening up".

Here's a good perspective from an equally long post: A Melee in a Brawl Room

It does a much better job of eliminating bias than any of us do here. But I still don't feel like I need to lighten up--I'm perfectly light! Frankly, I've never loved Melee more and it makes me happy to realize that it was the best after all. It makes the things I used to dislike about it feel like they belong.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
k i was gonna ignore this thread but now im curious to see what the alberta brad rankings are

Tyson651

Smash Lord
this list is crap anyway. i want to vs everyone on that list to get a general idea to help as a panelist.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
AHA

you're 7 spaces above me, yet i placed higher at ct4

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Carl, the panel agreed on it.

I was because of teams.
The panel has spoken!

Brad, if the "panel" had any of the same problems we all have talking to you about Brawl, I think it more likely that they rolled over and gave up after realizing that they'd never be able to get the last word in. ;) Tone down, tigga.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
The panel has spoken!

Brad, if the "panel" had any of the same problems we all have talking to you about Brawl, I think it more likely that they rolled over and gave up after realizing that they'd never be able to get the last word in. ;) Tone down, tigga.
tigga thats awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom