• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi CG List ""FRAME DATA INFO CHANGED A FEW THINGS"" (Updated on 9/29/09)

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Official Yoshi Chain Grab List AND lil b's CGing and Buffering Guide

****NOTICE: My guide has been added if you haven't read it already it is must know information to CG, release and buffer to perfection with Yoshi

Key
easy is green
hard is orange
super hard is dark red
kill percentages using the up-smash
CG able characters that ESCAPE the DT options ~
Grab Release to Dtilt/Ftilt/Dsmash using DT ~

Here is a list of all of the characters that Yoshi's CG works on. Please correct me if anything is wrong. I tested this on a human opponent that knows how to DI and get out of grabs.
Keep looking for more characters to add to the list lets see how big we can get it!! We already have more then half the roster.

-:metaknight:Meta Knight 115% ~
-:ganondorf:Ganondorf 145% ~
-:squirtle:Squirtle 110% ~
-:pikachu2:Pikachu ~
-:diddy:Diddy Kong ~
-:falcon:Captain Falcon ~
-:bowser2:Bowser ~
-:sonic:Sonic ~
-:lucas:Lucas 125% ~
-:warioc:Wario (Infinite and Standing Fsmash)130%
-:ike:Ike ~
-:dk2:DK 145% ~
-:charizard:Charizard ~
-:link2:Link ~
-:zerosuitsamus:ZSS ~
-:falco:Falco

New additions in order from newest to oldest

[New] (added on 9/29/09) I have removed Snake and D3 do to recent frame data and moved falco down to the hardest difficulty. The Back throw/Foward Throws on Chars like diddy fox and Sheik are not guaranteed but can work at times. Do to your opponent not jumping out in the frame of windows to jump out. ALSO NESS IS UPSMASHABLE OUT OF THE RELEASE do take advantage of that

[New] (added on 5/5/09) The Back Throw CG on Diddy has been added the CG works up to ~32%

[New] (added on 12/17/08) Pit has been removed from the CG list due to the fact he can UpB out of the grab simply put

[New] (added on 12/3/08) Pit has been added to CG list and added as "hard to CG" If you find a way he can get out please let me know.

[New] (added on 11/29/08/) Falco has officially been moved to hard difficulty level because people were *****ing about it

[New] (added on 9/24/08) Wolf has officially been removed from the list maybe he can be put back later if it gets proven to work but for now it has been proven not to work.

[New] (added on 9/22/08) Zero Suit Samus has now offically been placed at a hard difficulty due to her Down B this is subject to change.

[New] (added on 8/25/08) Wolf and Snake have been added to the list but unfortunately no shiek and no fox and D3 will stay on the list as super hard thanks Mmac for bring up other characters

[New] (added on 8/12/08) The first post is now a little more organized and the now all the characters that were listed at difficult are now listed as easy because its not hard to time your grab unlike the Hard difficulty.

[New] (added on 7/29/08) Kill percentages using the up-smash during the grab has been added for some of the characters. And a new tip on CGing Wario under the tips/character specifics.

[New] (added on 7/24/08) The CG for the harder characters are easier on a stage with a slope for example the stage Distant Plant. Thou that stage is banned in East Coast tournament apparently its not in the mid-west and I am not sure of the West Coast.

[New] (added on 7/6/08) The forward CG has officially been proven wrong by multiple people/testers. And there are more characters on the list now too. Also added a key on difficulty level.

[New] (added on 7/3/08) if you don't all ready know some characters can be up-smashed in the middle of the chain grab (only when they are in that un-DI-able state).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lil b's Yoshi Guide on Chain Grabbing and Grab Releases

When you think of Yoshi most people think of his grab release and how you can CG more than half the cast. Many people also consider how you can release a lot of the cast in to an Upsmash or and UAir or how you can infinite Wario; however, what most people don't know is how to do these things.This is an in-depth guide on everything having to do with Yoshi's release and CG--even you can master such a great part of Yoshi's game.

Sections:

1: What makes Yoshi's release so good?
2: The CG and how it's done
3: The CG list, difficulties, and Infinites
4: Buffering? Whats that?
5: On stage release options
6: Off stage release options
7: Overview

Section 1: What makes Yoshi's release so good?

Yoshi has a type of release that no other character in this game possess. What makes his release so good is the fact that, no matter what, Yoshi will release the character you are grabbing in the air every time. Okay, so some of you might be thinking, "So what...they release in the air. How does that help me?" Well, lets think about it; a lot of characters do not regain control until they hit the ground, like Falco, Bowser, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Meta Knight, and more. Since they cannot regain control until they hit the ground, you can re-grab, maybe attack, and more--this is the best option out of a grab on most characters for Yoshi, so take complete advantage of it. Go out there and abuse this for all it's worth.

Section 2: The CG and how it's done.

Okay, the CG; some of you might know how to do it, some of you might only be able to do it sometimes, and some of you might not know how to do it at all. I am going to explain it so everyone can do it with ease.

The basic steps of the CG are:

1. Grab
2. Chew until release
3. Dash grab
4. Repeat

Sounds easy, right? Well some of you are probably thinking, "Okay, I am doing all those steps, but I still do not really understand." The part that most likely is messing you up is the dash grab part. This part is the hardest part because you have to buffer your dash and then immediately buffer your grab almost simultaneously. If you do not buffer in the grab immediately after the dash, your opponent most likely will have time to jump out or spot dodge. The reason you have to grab immediately after the dash is because once you start the dash, you need to get the most amount of speed off of the dash grab. If you still do not get it, think about Snake's mortar slide. When you do that, most of the time you want to start the Up-smash A.S.A.P., and to do that, you have to input the upsmash immediately after the dash to get the smallest startup possible. That is the same idea with Yoshi when you do the CG. When you do the CG, you should not even really see the dash; Yoshi should go straight into a dash grab.

Section 3: The CG List, difficulties, and infinites

Okay, most probably already know about my CG list thread, but for those that have not, check this list:

Key
Easy is green
Hard is orange
Super hard is dark red
Kill percentages using the up-smash
Back Throw CG

-:metaknight:Meta Knight 115%
-:ganondorf:Ganondorf 145%
-:squirtle:Squirtle 110%
-:pikachu2:Pikachu
-:diddy:Diddy Kong ~32%
-:falcon:Captain Falcon
-:bowser2:Bowser
-:sonic:Sonic
-:lucas:Lucas 125%
-:warioc:Wario (Infinite)130%
-:ike:Ike
-:dk2:DK 145%
-:charizard:Charizard
-:link2:Link
-:zerosuitsamus:ZSS
-:falco:Falco

Okay, so now you are just thinking, "Holy crap, I can CG pretty much everyone...I can't wait to try this!" However, before you run off and turn on your Wii to try this, let me explain what these difficulties mean. As you can see, easy is most likely what you are capable of doing on your first try, but you might not know why. The reason they are easy is because they do not require perfect or good buffering. You can mess up your buffering a little and most likely still be able to re-grab them. Easy characters are a great place to start if you are a beginner, so you can get a feel for how it is done. Now for the hard CGables. The reason they are labeled hard is because they require good buffering and you can't really mess up your buffering and still re-grab these like the easy ones. I am pretty sure most people can do these with a little practice, so if you can't do it at first keep practicing and you will get it. Now for the infamous very hard CGables. These require PERFECT (and I mean PERFECT) buffering and timing. Most players can not do this, but it is very possible and requires a lot of practice. It took me about a month to get all of those down and I still mess them up every now and then. I do not suggest trying these until you can master the hard and easy CGs first.

Now for the infinite on Wario. This is really hard to get down, but once you get it down, you should be able to do it with ease. For those that do not know how to do it, here are the steps:

1. Grab
2. Release
3. Re-grab with NO DASH
4. Repeat

You might have tried that and the Wario has time to get out or he just jumps out. Well, that is because this takes STRICT timing and practice. There are a few signs people use to get the timing down. If you press Z to grab too early, then you will buffer a shield or jab because Yoshi has not reset yet. You might be thinking, "How do I know he reset?" Well, there are few signs people use, like I said earlier. The best sign is once Yoshi's foot hits the ground after the grab or once Yoshi's "ZOMG HES OUT MY MOUTH" face ends. It takes a little practice and you might not get it down for a little bit, but once you get it down it's a walk in the park.

Section 4: Buffering? What's That?

I have told you in this guide that you need good or perfect buffering for most or all of these and you are most likely confused because you have no clue what that means. In this section, I am going to try my hardest to go in-depth and fully explain exactly how to buffer and what buffering is.

To start off, what is buffering? Basically, buffering is inputting a move right before another move ends. That is a rough definition on buffering; now, I am going to explain buffering and why you have to do it when using the Yoshi CG. Now, please try to bear with me for little bit because this is not the easiest topic to explain.

First and foremost, when Yoshi releases, he has to go back to neutral stance before you can re-grab, but with buffering, he doesn't. The way this works is like I said before; inputting a direction or a move before the original move ends. The move or direction to input during the end animation of the grab is the dash grab. This works because you can input the dash during the end of the grab lag and that will give you frame perfect dashing after the lag of the grab. For example, if there was no buffering, then Dedede's CG would not work on characters like Marth and Pit because you have to start the dash frame perfect. To do that, the second the animation (of the grab) ends, you have to buffer during the end lag so you get the frame perfect dash grab after the lag. If that doesn't make much sense, here is another example: if you are a Street Fighter fan, think about reversals in ST. With reversals[, you have to input the reversal the last frame of the block stun or knock down stun. Like Smash, it has to be done frame perfect. In Smash, the basis of buffering revolves around the dash. All moves can be buffered in to a dash or a dash can buffer a move. An example of a dash being buffered into buffering a move is the stutter step smash. With the stutter step, you have to input the smash during the first frames of the initial dash and that buffers your smash. That is why it gives you a half step back Fsmash instead of doing a dash attack. So, the only attacks that can be buffered out of a grab or an attack are a short list of four moves: dash grab, dash attack, stutter step Fsamsh, and hyphen Upsmash. It may be a short list, but it is a HUGE part of Yoshi's game.

Like I have just explained,all buffers in this game have to do with the dash. If you can buffer a dash, you can buffer dash grab, which makes Yoshi's CG possible. After you buffer the dash, you immediately input the grab during the initial frame of the dash to get the most speed out of your dash grab. Let's say you can buffer your dashes perfectly without trouble, but you're still having trouble inputting the grab during the initial frames. Well then, just think the frames you have buffered the dash, and A.S.A.P. input your grab; you will get the most efficient dash garb possible. That is what makes the CG on Falco possible--you can buffer your dash grab before Falco gets back to his neutral stance. Like I said before, you can only buffer with dashes, so Falco can NOT buffer a spot dodge because you can only buffer with dashes. That is the basic reason why the CG on Falco is possible.

Section 5: On Stage Release Options

On stage releases are really good for KOing and getting some extra damage. A lot of the CGable characters can be UpSmashed or Uaired after the release, which leads to some easy KOs.

The characters that can be easily UpSmashed after the release are:

-MetaKnight
-Ganondorf
-Squirtle
-Diddy Kong
-Bowser
-Lucas
-Wario

Some of these are easier then others but they can all be Upsmashed before they regain control.

Now the one that can be Uaired easily after the release is:

-Wario

This does not mean you can't Upsmash others, however. Because most people try to jump out of the CG, so if your opponent jumps, it is a free Uair. You can Uair every CGable character if they try to jump out of the CG. There are other characters that can be Uaired out of a release if they jump that are not CGable like Pit, Popo, Captain Olimar, and more. Of course, there are ways to punish spotdodges and airdodges, just be creative and patient. So, almost every character can be kill after a release. Another helpful tip is lets say you grab a Meta Knight and you want some quick damage, you can CG him a little then just UpSmash for a good 20%. That is about it for on stage release options, but you can always mix in your own ideas like Dairs or Bairs after releases. Keep exploring and find out which options you like the best.

Section 6: Off Stage Release Options

Now these are my personal favorite types of releases because you can get some really early KOs at sometimes under 20%. The way the off stage release works by grabbing your opponent at the edge of the stage and grab releasing. Sounds simple, right? Out of these, you can get gimps on a lot of the CGables with Fair and Dair (flutter step) spikes.

The characters you can Fair spike without jumping (running off the stage and immediately Fair) are:

-Meta Knight
-Falco
-Squirtle
-Ganondorf

The characters you can Fair spike off stage with a jump (SH fair) are (These do sometimes require the opponent to jump):

-Bowser
-Snake
-Charizard
-DK (only if DK does not UpB right away)

The Dair spike works on almost all of the CGable cast if your opponent jumps in to it BUT there are some that are guaranteed. A few I know are guaranteed are:

-Bowser
-Ganondorf
-Snake
-DK (if he jumps right away instead of UpBing)

For a lot of the of the on stage releases, if they jump you can always punish with an Uair, Dair, and sometimes a Fair off stage even if they're not guaranteed. One thing I suggest not to do is to try to gimp Meta Knight because if you do not know how to Fair spike 100% of the time you can (most likely will) be punished by a shuttle loop, any of Meta Knight's aerials, or footstools. That is about it for the off stage releases it looks like a lot to remember but you will have it down to the point where it becomes natural when you start practicing all the different releases.

Section 7: Overview

Okay so now you are thinking wow this is a lot to memorize I don't know how I will be able to remember all this? Well, just take it one step at a time and soon you will know how to CG and release spike as easily as tying your shoes. Now I am going to shortly review every thing I wrote in little steps.

1. Learn to CG
2. Learn how the release is used
3. Memorize the CG list
4. Learn all your options out of release on and off stage for each character
5. Practice

After this, you will have mastered CGing and getting grab release KOs like a pro. If you have any questions whatsoever, just post up and I will be glad to answer.

Have fun CGing <3

PRiDE

Smash Lord
sonic can recover in time to side step and i had no idea about captain falcon..

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Don't forget that lovable pivot chain on Wario. So good.

Also, do any of the other Pokémon get chained? I'm not saying that they do and that the list is wrong, but I just seem to remember doing it a few times to Ivysaur or Charizard, can't recall totally. But yeah, keep looking into things and let's see how big we can make this list. ^_^

PRiDE

Smash Lord

Also, do any of the other Pokémon get chained? I'm not saying that they do and that the list is wrong, but I just seem to remember doing it a few times to Ivysaur or Charizard, can't recall totally. But yeah, keep looking into things and let's see how big we can make this list. ^_^
the chain on wario is non existent.. its been proven over and over.. the wario can use his double jump just in time.. but what u can do on wario is chew on him and up smash him right when he pops out..

SOVAman

Smash Hero

Sorry to say but it only works on Squirtle. And lets try to get this list big.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I would have someone check it first, and try it out. I'm not sure if it was who I was playing or what. So will someone inspect this?
I just tested it and he can jump away just in time and yes some people DI instead of jump and that would cause it to work. And it is impossible to DI this CG. So therefore DK is off the list.

rel_12

Smash Apprentice
You can also Chain Grab Link to his Death, I've done this plenty of times Link usually fastfall all the way down so he can't come back.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
You can also Chain Grab Link to his Death, I've done this plenty of times Link usually fastfall all the way down so he can't come back.
I will test it again but i think he can still jump out. Not that your wrong about the fast fall but not everyone will fast fall.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I have found out that some of the people I play only try to DI out of the CG and if they do that (and there characters not on the list) then you can still chain them because all the characters not on the list can jump out.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I tested this out again Link and Charizard can be Chaingrabbed, but you gotta be on the ball, just like Sonic. I did this with Human opponents and he could do nothing to escape.

Speaking of, Falco can actually Spot Dodge out of the grab right away when he hits the ground.

I do not know how you can Chaingrab Pikachu. I tried everything and it's impossible. Pikachu has tons of time to react to get out of the way.

Also, Wario, Squirtle, MetaKnight, and Ganondorf can be chained into a Usmash on release

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I tested this out again Link and Charizard can be Chaingrabbed, but you gotta be on the ball, just like Sonic. I did this with Human opponents and he could do nothing to escape.

Speaking of, Falco can actually Spot Dodge out of the grab right away when he hits the ground.

I do not know how you can Chaingrab Pikachu. I tried everything and it's impossible. Pikachu has tons of time to react to get out of the way.

Also, Wario, Squirtle, MetaKnight, and Ganondorf can be chained into a Usmash on release
I know that some can be gotten out of if done frame perfect but its hard so falco is still on the list. Also if you chain falco during a match they usually don't get out of it. BUT if you do it with a friend who is ready for it then they might be able to get out of it frame perfect. Also I will add to thread that some characters can be up-smashed in the middle of the CG.

Edit: Also Pikachu can NOT get out. The only way he can get out is if you mess up the CG (same with diddy) what I mean by messing up is if you don't immediately dash after the grab release. Just trust me unlike MK it has to be perfect to chain grab both Pikachu and Diddy.

Mmac

Smash Lord
K, well I tested it again, and your right. Pkachu can be chaingrabbed... but it's somewhat odd.

Pikachu can NEVER be chaingrabbed on the first release... I tried it many times with different people, and for some reason on the first release. Pikachu goes too high and can easily react. On every release after that, he can be. It's strange...

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
Mmac you sure? That sounds really odd. I'll see if I can get on tonight and test it as well.

AzSvFeZ

Smash Lord
Alright so it is just waiting until they break out? (I ment asking that might be nooby actually) I'm glad I know that now =]

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
K. I'm gonna try and do these more in depth tonight. I've managed to do a few of these pretty well, some I haven't gotten it down right though.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
K. I'm gonna try and do these more in depth tonight. I've managed to do a few of these pretty well, some I haven't gotten it down right though.
By now I have gotten it down but Pikachu and Diddy were the hardest by far. Just keep practicing you will get it.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I have bring of news. The Fabled Wario Chaingrab Infinite does indeed work! How you do it is You Release him, run past him and pivot grab him, and just repeat. There is little room to error though. If you do it too early, he can footstool out of it. If you do it too late, then he can jump free. It's not bogus, I tried it with humans and it does indeed work. It's the hardest of his chaingrabs (Even harder than Diddy, Pikachu, Sonic, ect.), but once you get the timing down, then it should be easy

Again, it does work. Try it yourself with your friends

Edit: I just found an ever EASIER way. All you need to do is just Grab, Chew, Release, Slight Delay, and do a Standing Grab. Rinse and Repeat. You don't even need to move!

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
By now I have gotten it down but Pikachu and Diddy were the hardest by far. Just keep practicing you will get it.
Doubt it will be to hard.

I have bring of news. The Fabled Wario Chaingrab Infinite does indeed work! How you do it is You Release him, run past him and pivot grab him, and just repeat. There is little room to error though. If you do it too early, he can footstool out of it. If you do it too late, then he can jump free. It's not bogus, I tried it with humans and it does indeed work. It's the hardest of his chaingrabs (Even harder than Diddy, Pikachu, Sonic, ect.), but once you get the timing down, then it should be easy

Edit: I just found an ever EASIER way. All you need to do is just Grab, Chew, Release, Slight Delay, and do a Standing Grab. Rinse and Repeat. You don't even need to move!
:o I'll look at this as well.

SOVAman

Smash Hero

Okay so it has to be perfect I will look in to that some more but I thought they proved it to not be a infinate.

Depster

Smash Champion
There actually are a ton of other people yoshi can forward throw chaingrab, I haven't tested humans yet, but most computer characters can't seem to get out of a forward throw. There are a few that can be forward thrown to the edge then back thrown back onto the stage for more forward throw chaingrabbing. There are also a couple characters that seem to get caught in a backthrow chaingrab.

And ya, the Wario chaingrab works, you have to grab him before you think you could, while he's still a ways above you. Yoshi will still grab him. Delicious chain grab to death

Mmac

Smash Lord
More News!

DK, ZSS, Ike, and Dedede can be Chaingrabed also. However like the others, you need to be on the ball

Dedede on the otherhand, is probably the hardest one to CG. Seriously, he makes Sonic and Pikachu look like a piece of cake!

Also me and Big tested the Forward CG, NOBODY can be CG'ed by the forward throw, sadly. We also Chaingrabbed everyone on the Release again.

The final list on people who can be CG'ed are:

Bowser
DK
Diddy
Wario
Link
Ganondorf
ZSS
MetaKnight
Dedede
Falco (Though can break it with a well timed spotdodge)
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Squirtle
Charizard
Ike
Lucas
Sonic

17 Isn't bad, that's like a bit less than half the Roster

SOVAman

Smash Hero
There actually are a ton of other people yoshi can forward throw chaingrab, I haven't tested humans yet, but most computer characters can't seem to get out of a forward throw. There are a few that can be forward thrown to the edge then back thrown back onto the stage for more forward throw chaingrabbing. There are also a couple characters that seem to get caught in a backthrow chaingrab.

And ya, the Wario chaingrab works, you have to grab him before you think you could, while he's still a ways above you. Yoshi will still grab him. Delicious chain grab to death
But is the Wario one infinite or does it only work for a certain amount of damage.

Mmac said:
More News!

DK, ZSS, Ike, and Dedede can be Chaingrabed also. However like the others, you need to be on the ball

Dedede on the otherhand, is probably the hardest one to CG. Seriously, he makes Sonic and Pikachu look like a piece of cake!

Also me and Big tested the Forward CG, NOBODY can be CG'ed by the forward throw, sadly. We also Chaingrabbed everyone on the Release again.

The final list on people who can be CG'ed are:

Bowser
DK
Diddy
Wario
Link
Ganondorf
ZSS
MetaKnight
Dedede
Falco (Though can break it with a well timed spotdodge)
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Squirtle
Charizard
Ike
Lucas
Sonic

17 Isn't bad, that's like a bit less than half the Roster
Slow down are you sure because if you do the grab release CG then DK ZSS and Ike and Charzard doesn't work then.

Mmac

Smash Lord
But is the Wario one infinite or does it only work for a certain amount of damage.
It's a infinite. his distance never changes because it's a release, so you can grab him forever.

Slow down are you sure because if you do the grab release CG then DK ZSS and Ike and Charzard doesn't work then.
Yes, they can be Chaingrabbed with a grab release. it's true

bigman40

Smash Master
it has to be really quick for the newer ones. D3 is the quickest cause as soon as yoshi's foot touches the ground, you have to run and dash grab. Miss a few frames, and you're too slow.

Top Bottom