• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario stage discussion [Flat Zone 2]

Ace55

Smash Lord
-Flatzone 2-

A new stage will be selected every week. The neutrals and counterpicks have all been discussed. Stages that would possibly need a refresh or more info will be given a new week. If at some point no legal stage needs work I will continue with the rest of the banned stages.

If anyone wants to make a writeup of an undiscussed stage (or suggest changes to an excisting one) feel free to post or PM.

Everyone can say anything they want about a stage, be it about specific matchups or just generally how Wario performs on the stage. At the end of each week I'll add a summary about the stage.
Backtracking is always allowed. If what I put up is bullsh*t, please feel free to correct me.

In the end I hope to have an easy accesible full list of all legal stages (hell, I'll even throw the banned ones in) and how they affect Wario.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Battlefield-

-Lylat Cruise- [/FONT]

[/CENTER]

Wario has some clear pros and cons on this stage. Wariociding and stagespiking is improved and the short sides help him with lots of his primary kill moves. Although he is mostly unneffected by the tilting stage while recovering, it also means that he can be forced into his jump release by characters that normally wouldn't be able to do that on-stage. Much like battlefield, fast character with long range attacks can abuse the platforms better than you can, think Marth, MK, ROB and such. Also, picking this against a Falco: bad bad Wario. The (pretty lousy) platforms don't really help when he can just grab release spike (near the edge) or Usmash you when he needs an opening for a kill.
When it comes to grab release infinites, this stage helps avoid them quite well. Lylat Cruise also makes a great Diddy Counterpick, probably the best.

Lylat is amazing for Wario. I would not suggest picking it vs MK though, he has too much room to safely tornado you and he has platforms all around to protect him from being Daired out of Nado a lot. I would easily pick this vs Diddy and Snake since you can be an ******* and camp the sh** out of the platforms. If this is listed as a neutral, don't strike it unless you absolutely have to.

Recommended ban: ...

Recommended counterpick: Diddy Kong, Ganondorf

-Yoshi's Island-

yoshi's island.....all the way....nice tilted edges in case he would under normal circumstances not be able to make it back. not to much room for them to fun away like lil girls...and my favorite part...the music. ahhh yoshiiiii daaa da da da da daaaa dadadaaaa da daaaa da daaaaa. da da daaaa da da da daa daaaaaa da da da daadaaa da daaadaaaaa. ummmm
A 'neutral' stage that can be a pain against lots of characters when playing with Wario. People can (and will) camp under the center platform making it very hard to approach them. The platform can mess up some grab release followups but it's dependant on the angle it's sitting at, so other stages tend to do better in that regard.
The support ghosts generally help characters with lesser recoveries or extremely floaty recoveries (think Peach or Mr G&W) more than they help Wario and the sides allow opponents who can to walljump/cling. It is also advised not to stand on the slopes on the side of the level, they're like the Bermuda triangle of Brawl. If you bike into them you might wipe-out.

Recommended counterpick: Ganondorf

-Final Destination-

It's flat, it has zero save spots for any grab release infinite mojo, and helps projectile spammers. Wario doesn't have a whole lot of trouble handling projectile spam, so this will not hurt him too much. Aside from the infinites, Wario doesn't like this stage very much anyway. It gives you lots of free airspace to work with but faster characters can just run away and camp you. Against the characters that do great on Battlefield, this stage is actually better for you (Snake!). Banning this stage is advised if Luigi's Mansion isn't on the stage list.

Recommended ban: Falco, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Ganondorf Bowser, Ice Climbers, Ike, Zero Suit Samus, Peach, Sheik/Zelda

Recommended counterpick: ...

-Smashville-

For starters Smashville is small, and Wario likes cramped places. Then there's the floating platform, it might not always be where you want it to be, but Wario has an easier time spacing himself around it due to his air speed. The biggest bonus of this platform though is that it completely ruins any grab release infinites. And because the infinites take forever to rack up damage the opponent won't get too much percent on you before he has too abort (probably with a grab release-> attack, but at least you're out).
Snake's like to put a mine on the moving platform, and Wario has no way of safely disarming them (except throwing the bike or wheels at it, which could be a problem) so watch out for that. Chances are he's going to hit/throw you into them unless you do it to him first.
Probably Diddy's second best stage. If you ban FD this will most likely be his counter. Falco on the other hand has trouble killing here because of the reasonably high ceiling.

Recommended counterpick: Yoshi, Ike, Bowser, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Ganondorf

-Delfino Plaza-

I do believe that Wario can own on Delfino more then most people, but that's just me.
Delfino Plaza is no ordinary stage, more of an extreme version of Pokemon Stadium 1. It can have walkoffs, water, solid ledges, walls and more. The variations of platforms in the neutral form work quite well for Wario (see other simple platform levels) and his recovery makes sure that the stage won't leave him behind. Watch out for characters that can use the shark tactic under the stage (Metaknight comes to mind), Wario lacks a spike to properly punish this tactic.
The walk-off sections and wall sections favor characters with chaingrabs (specifically Dedede) and or wall infinites (Dedede again), so be sure not too get stuck against a wall, and for the love of god don't play Dedede here.
For the water sections (especially the island): if you get someone in the water and you have a fart stored, it's pretty much a free kill. However for any character that has a powerful spike it's even easier to get a reliable kill on you, so you don't want to be doing too much swimming yourself.
Delfino Plaza is considered a good stage for Wario against anyone but Dedede (and perhaps MK, but he doesn't have many weak stages).

Recommended ban: Dedede (although aircamping works well here and can make it more in your favor)

Recommended counterpick: Ganondorf

-Frigate Orpheon-

Frigate Orpheon is a stage with two faces. You have the starting setup, with no ledge on the up and down moving right side. This part of the stage really benefits those with good nonlaggy recoveries, like Wario, because if 'you must recover' on that side you can't avoid your recovery lag (if you have any). This means a free hit for the edge guarder on a lot of characters. The movement of the right side can also screw opponents over, rising just out of reach to land on when they're off the stage And of course just the lack of an edge means anyone who would normally be able to sweetspot the ledge and still recover will now just outright die. All of the above attributes help Wario against anyone with a traditional recovery, and destroy anyone with a tether recovery. Also note that the blast-zones on the side are farther away than you might expect so with good DI you can live for a long time.
But then the stage flips. It becomes kinda like Yoshi's Island, uneven main platform, one platform above the stage, and things that will save opponents on either side. This part isn't really in Wario favor, you don't need the things on the side to recover, and thus they are going to end up saving your opponent more than they will save you. And because both sides have edges all advantages that you had are gone. During the flip you should try to take advantage if your opponent is screwing around, with a waft for instance.
I'm not 100% sure how the flip mechanic works. But the stage doesn't seem to flip at given moments. Sometimes it'll flip pretty early and just stay that way. You have to hope that the first part of the stage is the main battleground for it to really give you an advantage. This makes it a risky counterpick, but still a good one.

Recommended counterpick: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Marth, Link, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Falcon, Ike, Olimar, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik/Zelda, Lucario (note that this only counts for the first stage)

-Rainbow Cruise-

The only scrolling stage that is generally allowed in tournaments, and a great Wario stage. Anyone with a tether or low vertical recovery will be in a world of pain. Characters that prefer the ground (Snake) also dislike this stage because they'll have to do a fair amount of jumping to keep up. Wario does well on this stage against pretty much anyone, with Dedede (and to a lesser extend MK) being the exception. Dedede get's an semi-infinite on the boat and some walkoffs for easy chaingrabbing to death. But even against the hated royal pinguin this stage isn't that bad.
Note that during the boat section and the left platform section MK and Kirby can suicide kill you with an uptrow. If you're a stock behind or quite a bit ahead in percentage you should watch out for that.
On the ascending parts it will be key to keep your opponent above you, if it's the other way around you should keep your distance, because attacking from above with all those platforms is just asking for it.
Another positive asset of Cruise is the fact that it disturbs campy tactics, because you have to keep moving. Taking a spammy campy opponent to RC is generally a good idea. Although clap kills quite easily here, because the ceiling is low, you might want to watch out for other strong vertical killers (Snake's/Dedede's uptilt).
Cruise is generally considered one of the best Wario counterpicks.

Recommended ban: docter mario guy

Recommended counterpick: Snake, Ganondorf, Link, Olimar, Falco

-Pokemon Stadium 1-

The good old Pokemon Stadium from Melee. Only thing that changed was the windmill, which is now solid instead of fall-through. Wario doesn't really need to fear this place. But when counterpicking you have better options. Make sure not to get stuck against a wall or in the pit of some of the transformations, and watch out for the glitchy edges.
The basic stage shouldn't give Wario any problems, nor should any of the transformations as long as you watch your step around walls.

-Brinstar-

Brinstar is one of Wario's best levels, imo. I've only ever lost there once, and it was to a GW b/c I made some mistakes. It can be a bit of a pain against MKs, but very playable there nonetheless. This is also one of DKs best stages, so be cautious about picking this against him.

The stage is pretty small-ish, as are the blast zones, but the platform layout is kind enough to actually allow you to aircamp should you need to. The fire is great should you ever botch your recovery (I hope you don't make a habit of that!), and the way the stage is laid out really messes with Chaingrabs and botches Illusion recoveries. The little ball deals will extend hitboxes, so watch out (and use it to your advantage as well!), as will the tendons that hold the platforms together. When the lava rises it brings the fight close quarters, which we love.

All in all, a great counterpick.
Recommended ban: Donkey Kong

Recommended counterpick: Snake, Dedede, Lucario

-Pirate Ship-

im gonna say pirate ship just cause if done right, if you do the wariocide at the front end of the ship, you can spit em out right to the boat spike, doesn't work all the time but it is hilariuos
One of my personal favorites is Pirate Ship. You basically have 3 hazzards on this stage: the catapult, the boat spike and the canonballs. The catapult and boat spike should be avoidable by any character easily enough (plus the catapult doesn't kil with DI). The canonballs are immensely powerfull so be sure to pay attention to them. The only totally safe place for the canon is the top of the mast. All the tilting can screw up autocanceling and might give your opponent some free grab releases, which is unfortunate. Wario also lacks is a spike to reliably crush people landing in the water, and has to make due with the waft.
The flying part isn't so much a hazzerd but more a distraction. Floating down slowly towards your opponent isn't really ideal, so limit your jumping during this part. And generally just be sure that you're on the boat when it takes off (although standing in the other boat is pretty cool to, for a short while).
Something you don't want to fall for is Ganon boatspiking you with side-B. When he's recovering on the left, simply don't stand on the wood. He will go through it and give you a spiking you'll never forget.
Overall this isn't Wario's best stage, but it isn't his worst either.

-Jungle Japes-

Jungle Japes is my new Wario counterpick. Lots of edges to play around with, and Wariocide has an odd twist on this stage. :)
Jungle Japes is viewed as one of Wario's best stages. One guy you might want to avoid on this stage is Falco, as he can chaingrab you to the edge and spike you in the water, nasty stuff. Another thing to watch for is Donkey Kongs standing stagespike where he just cargo down throws into the left platform, killing you unless you:

Tech that ****!

...if you can >_>

I spend most of my time on right side, performing aerials and then snapping to various edges. It's risky business though because you can get Klapped if you're on the edge of the lower platform. What I like to do is grab the edge of the rightmost platform, when ledgehop an aerial and grab the edge on the other side. And sometimes move back and forth beneath that platform. Such as letting go, then jumping below it and grabbing the other edge. Just lots of edge games to mess around with. Take advantage of the ledge invincibility when you can.

It's almost impossible to die in the water, no matter where you are. Even if you fall in from the left side. Just jump twice really fast and bike to safety. It's hard to edgeguard an opponent who falls into the water, but do your best to pester them as much as possible. Run over and grab onto an edge that you think they might grab. This usually forces them to try and grab a certain edge because it's the only one available. Then try to exploit it from there. Basically make them go where you want them to go.

Whenever you're fighting on the middle platform, try to get them on the higher middle platform so you can land a few claps from below. The left side of the stage is risky because there's less time to recover, however you can get some easy gimps on your opponent if you play your cards right. Also, try not to ever have the bike laying around. It's extremely important because you're basically screwed without it. If you do bike, make sure you break it ASAP or just ghostride it into the water. Remember, one of the fastest ways to get a bike on the ground is to run off the stage, then almost immediately bike in the opposite direction. The bike crashes into the stage and lands on the ground, so now you can break it quickly for tires.

You probably won't be getting any vertical kills on this stage. So feel free to spam the clap to your heart's content :). It racks up tons of damage whether it's fresh or not. Spam it! Save that fsmash for later ;)

Remember when I said Wariocide has an odd twist on this stage? What I mean by that is you can often score a kill by "Wariociding" them into the water. I usually just ledgehop a bite and take them down with me. Now that you're both in the water, you can royally screw your opponent over. Land a footstool, steal the edge they try to grab or just hit them when they try to jump. Also, some characters just plain suck at recovering on this stage, so all you have to do is get them into the water. A bite is usually the easiest way to do so. Your opponent is released first. The work is usually done for you. =]

It's my favorite stage ;) this and Green Greens.
-Halberd-

Halberd, my FAVORITE and BEST stage. This stage is not very good for Wario half the time, Wario is stuck to a ground game for the first half of the stage when the platform is taking off until it lands on the Halberd. This is because there is a very large platform in the center, and your opponent will most likely hide underneath it to avoid your air combos. Also, they CAN'T grab you for the first 10 seconds of the match, as you will always be grab released while the halberd is taking off. This happens as well when you ride the platform off the halberd, but most matches don't take that long.

There is another nice thing about the platform, but this could be a bane as well. The sides are very easy to grab onto, but don't use a special to grab on it, as you will most likely miss. This is because the platform is a semi fallthrough, like Delfino, but much harder to grab the edges with a special. Also, until you land on the halberd, its impossible or near impossible to do Wario's Dthrow combo due to the smallness of the platform.

Now onto the Halberd itself, it has 3 obstacles, and for the most part is like FD but with a center platform. You can be caught in lips and stagespike in them too, but you can't go underneath the stage like in FD.

Now for the Tri-cannon. This thing will do 1 of 3 things, it will either, target someone, and shoot its laser, which can be Smash Di'ed out of. Do not get close once its fired, its hitbox doubles for the hit that launches, and it can kill you at decent percents. Its also free damage if you can get someone in it, and you can shield it and have very little of your shield go away. The next thing it can do is the Cannon ball, this is a very slow moving blastbox, you can tell when its being fired as the cannon will glow red and make lots of noise before firing. Throw your opponents into this to get some good damge, and since your Wario, you can easily avoid it. The last thing it does is the claw, this is easy to dodge, but you never know who it'll hit, so its a good idea to dodge it even if it wouldn't hit you. It can kill around 110%

Now, Wario is bad for the first half of the stage, but once it lands ON the halberd itself, Wario becomes very good at the stage, as they will start chasing you now, and you have much more room to work with. Also, the ceiling is low on this stage, so Clap kills can be made earlier, and once the Halberd lands, the sides become very close as well, which is nice for Fsmash kills and Fthrow kills.

Also, don't use a fully charged Wario Waft here, you'll kill yourself if your in the air.

Now VS Dedede, its like Delfino, but a little worse for him due to no walls or walk offs, but its still a good stage for him.
-Castle Siege-

Make sure Dedede doesn't get a grab on you at a dangerous place (like during the change between parts 1 and 2) because it's quite lethal. Otherwise this stage is fine for Wario, although you probably don't want to counterpick it. On the other hand nobody except Dedede is really going to pick this stage against you, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

-Yoshi's Island (pipes)-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk5M69H5Vcw

-Weegee's Mansion-

When the house is still standing your range of movement is somewhat limited. Characters with strong ground games benefit from this. Wario's ground game isn't exactly stellar, so you can see the problem. Breaking down parts of the house and luring them out in the open can help with this, but in a tourney you might need to have the lead to acomplish this. Breaking down the entire house is also possible to turn it into FD but the house will respawn pretty quickly, meaning you have start all over again.

Recommended ban: OLIMAR(!), MK, note: banning this is never a bad idea

Recommended counterpick: Hahaha

-Norfair-

Norfair is a lame stage. We can aircamp, but everyone else can camp too. Only person I'd take here is Snake, probably. The platforms are nice b/c of invincibility, and we have lots of places to FF upair, but this stage is just bad news in general, especially against plankers.
Also note in high level play that the person who enters the capsule is usually screwed because dodging the lava wave by standing under a platform is easy, and so is hitting a Wario stuck inside a small capsule.

Recommended counterpick: Snake

-Pictochat-

Pictochat is generally a counterpick stage if the tournament host even has it allowed (that will vary from host to host and tournament to tournament). I personally think the stage is mad fun, but it seems to have a terrible vendetta against Warios. Also, don't take Kirby here, he has that ******** infinite rock thing on the slanted edges.

To see the hatred of Warios, watch the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJlkI5qkPQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcojcb7ZMxc

Ace55

Smash Lord
-Distant Planet-

A stage that is often banned (although IMO it shouldn't be). Walk-off on the left, a giant optional Bulborb on the right and a bouncy Lylat like platform construction in the center. Moments where the Bulborb is actually dangerous will be epic but rare. As with other walk-offs Dedede is dangerous so don't let him chaingrab you to the left (obviously). Donkey Kong can do something similar with his cargo so if you feel your in danger mash those buttons and/or DI those throws. Where DK best bet on other stages would be a (techable) stagespike from his cargo here he could actually just throw you into the dreaded Bulborbs mouth (which is endlessly better than that grab release nonsense anyway).
The pellets that the flowers hold do more damage if they have a higher number. Although Distant Planet isn't a great place for glidetossing they can still be used to give Wario a projectile game. The 20 pellets actually do pretty decent damage.
Although the stage appears pretty big the boundaries don't extend much past the view cut-off, so it's actually medium sized.

-Summit-

There are no ledges, either you make it back or you don't, when going down the mountain you have low gravity, which means wario owns everyone. Oh...
Giant f*cking fish.
-Corneria-

Corneria SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS. Way too many people can abuse it WAY better than you, and it's a camp fest for projectile people. The only neat thing I've found we can do is, if you're under the fin, your up b finishes perfectly into a ledgesnap if you start it on the ground.

Just pick Snake, MK, or GW for this stage, and abuse the hell out of it.
Dthrow to Upb ***** hard. Put your back against the wall and do it.

Clap kills soon here, Waft ***** anyone near the fin going towards the edge, but otherwise just pass on it.
-Pokemon Stadium 2-

This stage is meh, air transformation is nice, so is the treadmill since you can Fsmash/Dsmash/do anything near the edge and have no lag, and everything else is alright too. The ice makes you slide and screws up grab releases bad for people since they travel to far ahead of you, same for treadmill.

If this stage is legal, I'd take ground heavy characters here. Most of the transformations screw with ground characters (Ice, Treadmill, Wind, and the barren area has that slope.)

I would not take someone like Peach, Dedede, Kirby, etc here.
Oh, I should point out that if you fart pretty much at any time during the wind section of PS2, you will die :\

-Green Greens-

green greens: jump around and airdodge until an explosive apple randomly kills your opponent
MK: HEY PLATFORMS!

MK: OH CLAP!

Wario taunts.

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
Like Blue sHell said, Wario does awesome at Battlefield, Wario can abuse the platforms and It's hard for pojectile spammers to get away from Wario. I fight here whenever I can.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I actually DISLIKE Battlefield for Wario, as it's much easier for other charas (mostly ones w/ disjointed hitboxes, the most common ones you'll be seeing being MK, Snake, and DDD) to abuse the platforms than it is for you. I generally like Smashville the most.

Nintendude92z

Smash Apprentice
I actually DISLIKE Battlefield for Wario, as it's much easier for other charas (mostly ones w/ disjointed hitboxes, the most common ones you'll be seeing being MK, Snake, and DDD) to abuse the platforms than it is for you. I generally like Smashville the most.
I partially agree. Ceartin characters are better at the stage, and they can use projectilies or u-smashes/tilts to negate the platform advantage. It's also small, which is good for his rapid aerials, but awful for his stature against powerful smash attacks. Your bound to make a mistake eventually in the fight, and if its near an edge, your normally KO'd early.

I prefer Smashville, and Lylat cruise over it.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Theres already a couple of threads like these, but I made the original one a long time ago and a ton of people posted in it already.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164475

If you want you can start posting there since there is alot to work with in that thread.
Hmm, forgot about that thread. But it's purpose seems very different (although I stupidly gave it the same name). I'm not asking what stage would be the best Wario counterpick. I'm planning on making a summary in the OP for every stage. If you win a game in a tourney (I know you are well aware of that), you're gonna get counterpicked. It would be good to know how each stage effects Wario, and which stages you should consider banning. Because theoretically, anybody could pick any (legal) stage against you, so it would be nice to be prepared for that.
How about I post any info I can find in your thread about the stage at hand in the OP so that it can be taken into account.

I would really like to have an extensive summary for every stage in the OP. And I don't mean to offend but the information in your thread concerning specific stages is pretty scattered and hard to find. So how about we give this a new fresh start?

But Snakes also seem to like levels where they can properly space themselves, and Battlefield doesn't give them lots of space to do that. Wario thrives from close combat in cramped spaces, and it's hard for them to stay away from you there.

On the other hand, Snake's mines, grenades and C4 seem to work especially well on this stage. A C4 + mine on one of the side platforms will cover nearly halve of the stage.

As for Dedede, it just seems hopeless. You can spend all your time on the platforms and he's still going to get a free grab release Usmash/Utilt on you after every grab. Not to mention, like you said, that he can just hit you through the platforms .

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Yeah its cool, you can just take any info you find there. My opinion is in there somewhere.. I personally don't like battlefield first game, I hope to get Final destination since I can handle a larger variety of characters there and check to see who they use. I can't play in BF at all against Rob/Diddy/MK. If Wario had a different usmash it would of worked to his advantage at least.

Ace55

Smash Lord
The discussion has certainly been booming since I left. Looks like this thread is gonna be a huge succes.:laugh:

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
You.....would have to be a total idiot to pick battlefield against a snake player. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY DIE playing a snake on battlefield. Smashville isn't too much better. When playing snake's go for final destination every time. Most people dont even seem to realize some the totally broken stuff snake can do on bf. When fighting snake, go fd every time. It is your only hope and your only chance.

Ace55

Smash Lord
You.....would have to be a total idiot to pick battlefield against a snake player. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY DIE playing a snake on battlefield. Smashville isn't too much better. When playing snake's go for final destination every time. Most people dont even seem to realize some the totally broken stuff snake can do on bf. When fighting snake, go fd every time. It is your only hope and your only chance.
Broken stuff beeing snakedashing and uptilt through the platforms? Please elaborate?

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Broken stuff beeing snakedashing and uptilt through the platforms? Please elaborate?
Play AllyorNotAlly on Battlefield and then on FD. If you play battlefield, he can put his dsmash or down b on the above platforms, you can jump into them, fall into them, or he can THROW you into them because the initial trajectory after his throws is always the same. The snake player can throw grenades and stop them on the above platforms so that they explode above and still hit you. If you try to do anything against them, he can snakedash you or pretty much anything else. All snake has to do, is...

1. Snakedash to other side of stage.
2. Lay proximity mine on top of short platform
3. Lay downb in front of him
4. Keep throwing grenades and b side's until you try to approach
5. Grab you or tilt you into the mine above, jump up and try to uair you
6. You try to get away
7. Repeat.

Snake also has an advantage on smashville because of his ability to plant a prox mine on top of the platform that moves across the stage. He can camp up there or any number of things.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The only thing that saves us on SV is that it's small, allowing us to pressure easier, and the platform isn't always a factor, since it moves about. Honestly though, my favorite stage vs Snake is probably Jungle Japes, b/c most of Snake's moves kill off the top, and it has a ridiculous ceiling.

Also, I hate Lylat for Wario... it just... doesn't seem to work, though the short sides are fairly nice.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The only thing that saves us on SV is that it's small, allowing us to pressure easier, and the platform isn't always a factor, since it moves about. Honestly though, my favorite stage vs Snake is probably Jungle Japes, b/c most of Snake's moves kill off the top, and it has a ridiculous ceiling.

Also, I hate Lylat for Wario... it just... doesn't seem to work, though the short sides are fairly nice.
The only thing I like about Lylat is the small platforms scattered every few feet that allow you to pressure people well from below. Another thing to note about Lylat is that the downwards slopes gives more characters the chance to abuse the release grab crap, since the slope will make your feet dangle against even some of the shorter characters. I think I have been grabbed by MK near those slopes, but not too close to the edge, and he was able to force me up and right into his Upb.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The only thing I like about Lylat is the small platforms scattered every few feet that allow you to pressure people well from below. Another thing to note about Lylat is that the downwards slopes gives more characters the chance to abuse the release grab crap, since the slope will make your feet dangle against even some of the shorter characters. I think I have been grabbed by MK near those slopes, but not too close to the edge, and he was able to force me up and right into his Upb.
Yeah, but the same goes for almost any character... especially the higher tier charas can abuse their position below the platforms much more than Wario can :\

Ace55

Smash Lord
Play AllyorNotAlly on Battlefield and then on FD.
I already thought that Snakes explosive game would be enhanced on BF. But seeing that I don't have a whole lot of experience against good Snakes I wasn't sure how devistating it could be. That's where you come in.
I can see Wario stopping him from building his little explosive nest though, the stage isn't that big after all. But you have to play patiently against Snake (from what I've understood) so I can see why rushing after him isn't a great idea either.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Lylat is a huge no against nimble characters like Marth and Rob (Who also have powerful upward hitboxes) The best that wario can do it fullfart/uair people on top of platforms.. and that isn't saying much compared to the dreaded ROB usmash imo. His ledgegame > everyone elses on that stage though. Wariocide ***** there, and gimping is more possible thanks to a tilting stage that Wario's great recovery doesn't mind. I always avoid it, but I guess if your playing a shortranged person there, it isn't too bad.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Hmmm, in retrospect maybe the worst neutral stage against MK would be Lylat Cruise. He can suddenly grab release you on-stage, has even less issues with the tilting ledges and an UpB near the edge will kill even quicker. Plus the platforms allow him to use his rising tornado without much fear of getting punished. Any thoughts on this?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
My favorite Wario stage is Jungle Japes hands down. I always pick it as my counter pick. It just seems that the platform arrangement makes for incredible Wario combos. Also, it is really good for characters who get their kills by knocking you upwards because of the high ceiling. It doesn't hit wario as much because you can knock them up and use your Up air and if you are high enough up it kills them anyway. The best part is the river. If you are on the left side of the stage and chomp them and hit the water, they get sucked behind you really fast and die, leaving you plenty of room to bike and and up B back to the stage. I can get 3 stocks on Jungle Japes much easier than any other stage. Does anyone else agree that Jungle Japes is the best Wario counterpick?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Does anyone else agree that Jungle Japes is the best Wario counterpick?
I like Rainbow Cruise a lot more than Jungle Japes, although both stages have their advantages I suppose.

1. Jungle Japes is a horrible stage if your opponent is Falco. His CG to spike >>> Wariociding for sure. Plus, the lasers are harder to dodge than normal it seems, and if you decide to just stay on the highest platform, he can make it so that you don't really wanna stay there for too long.

2. Rainbow Cruise is a bad stage if your opponent is MK or someone who can spam crap like the gaynado or Upb and get away with it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falco's shouldn't be able to chain grab you... you can get away :\
I play against Sethlon and a few other good Falco's and all they need is two in a row from 0% and it usually ends very bad. If they are aware enough, they will shoot lasers at you while you try to recover from the water and that spells out doom. Trust me, it is just an awful stage to try against Falco. I would honestly prefer FD or somewhere level that he can camp well on compared to Jungle Japes.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
@ lylat cruise. I would always choose this stage against characters with multiple jumps, or up-b's that you can hit through because when they are trying to jump up to the ledge, you can jump out and dair them and they will stagespike straight down.

@jungle japes. I don't know if its wario's best stage, but its one of mine. Wario can move between the platforms easily. If your opponent is below the platforms, dair into the ground and your hat will go through the platform and stagespike them. F smash kills at low percents on the side platforms, and wario can take advantage of the overhead platform in the middle. Probably something very beneficial about this stage is that the side platforms are so small that its easy to "wariocide" into the water. And...for the record, I think you can get up faster than them out of the water. This can lead to lots of gimps, ESPECIALLY against poor olimar (all of his pikmin except for blues die in the water)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I play against Sethlon and a few other good Falco's and all they need is two in a row from 0% and it usually ends very bad. If they are aware enough, they will shoot lasers at you while you try to recover from the water and that spells out doom. Trust me, it is just an awful stage to try against Falco. I would honestly prefer FD or somewhere level that he can camp well on compared to Jungle Japes.
Yeah, it's only an issue if you get grabbed at 0%...

Also, NEVER CP Jungle Japes vs ROBs, they can abuse the myriad ledges way more than you.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Something else I noticed about Jungle Japes: There are 8 edges, if you count the top platform edges even though you can't technically grab them. This gives people more chances to abuse the release grab stuff since there are so many places for Wario's feet to dangle and two of the platforms are tiny anyways.

I know it seems like I'm just trying to find every flaw with Jungle Japes, but IDK I just really do a ton better on Rainbow Cruise.

Ace55

Smash Lord
You play against Sethlon? His Falco seems pretty sick to say the least, must be great practice. Any particular stage you feel is in your favor against him, how does BF work?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You play against Sethlon? His Falco seems pretty sick to say the least, must be great practice. Any particular stage you feel is in your favor against him, how does BF work?
I don't get to play him everyday, but I try to get matches in with him at tournaments and stuff. (Yeah his Falco is pretty sick, I sometimes have to switch characters against him to be honest)

BF, Delfino, Rainbow Cruise, Frigate, and Luigi's Mansion are good choices, and there are some more that are probably just my preference instead of being good stages for Wario. Lylat however, is NOT a good stage against Falco... Never pick Lylat against Falco, bad bad Wario.

Ace55

Smash Lord
The Diddy Kong board seems to be under the impression that BF isn't really a great stage for them. Could anyone (I believe Deff has some experience against Diddy's) elaborate on the matchup and explain why they feel at a disadvantage there?

dr. mario guy said:
and Luigi's Mansion
I love this stage so much against anyone with projectiles (except ROB I guess), but it looks like it could be banned in your area.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think I know why Diddy's don't like BF against Wario. The Bananas are too easy for Wario to pick up on the platforms cause he can just grab them from below, they allow Wario to evade Diddy more than normal (compared to on a stage like FD), and he just has a overall hard time coordinating air attacks when he has to worry about the landing lag from the platforms and it's harder to evade Wario if he pops Diddy up into the air.

I don't main Diddy though so IDK what they dislike the most about BF or anything. Now what about taking Diddy to Lylat Cruise or Jungle Japes? I've never played a Diddy on either one of those stages for some reason.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Could you tell me some more about what makes Falco so good against Wario on Lylat Cruise dr. mario guy? I'm guessing chaingrab to spike?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I've started taking a liking to YI lately... although the stage can get in the way at times, and it also tilts at random times to become obnoxious, it's generally fine. Just make sure you don't bike near the wall when offstage, or you'll wipe out... and never... EVER stand on those tiny slants, weird-*** **** happens on those (I got spiked OFF THE SLANT by Ike's UP+B once, lol).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Could you tell me some more about what makes Falco so good against Wario on Lylat Cruise dr. mario guy? I'm guessing chaingrab to spike?
Grab release to Spike, Grab Release to Upsmash, stupid stuff like that that happens on Lylat because of the way the stage is slanted. That, and even though platforms usually help Wario, they seem to be scattered too far or they are the wrong height or something. IDK I never really liked the Lylat platforms for some reason, probably just me.

But yeah, the biggest issue I have with it and Falco is that it helps him with his usual problem of landing a kill move on Wario. The lasers and Phantasm are one thing, but I hate taking an Upsmash or Dair just because the stupid stage is slanted.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I repeat:

yoshi's island.....all the way....nice tilted edges in case he would under normal circumstances not be able to make it back. not to much room for them to fun away like lil girls...and my favorite part...the music. ahhh yoshiiiii daaa da da da da daaaa dadadaaaa da daaaa da daaaaa. da da daaaa da da da daa daaaaaa da da da daadaaa da daaadaaaaa. ummmm
Sounds like valid reasons to me.

Edit: thank you dr mario guy.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Come on guys, Yoshi's Island. Is the platform bad for Wario? Can the opponent exploit the unevenness of the main platform to help get grab release hits on Wario or does the platform negate this completely. And how does this work out for the tilting platform? Don't opponents with lesser recoveries get way more help from the support ghosts than we do? Who would you take to this stage and who would you really want avoid here? Why is Yoshi green? And how come we can't eat his eggs? And what ever happened to Captain Falcon?

I need answers.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The platform is generally good, until they get a grab release for free when it is slanted. The stage middle part has the same problem, if they grab you at certain areas. I have begun to not use YI as much as FD or BF, it really has screwed me over almost as bad as Lylat as times.

Top Bottom