• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario stage discussion [Flat Zone 2]

Ace55

Smash Lord
Rainbow Cruise: they banned it here in the Netherlands so I don't really use it much. But when I do play it I feel that if it would be a legal counterpick it would be a great one for Wario. But you guys should know more about that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Rainbow Cruise is an awesome CP stage, I have not lost on it in a tournament setting yet.

Wario does great on Rainbow Cruise, use it to definitely counterpick against characters with a poor vertical recovery or a terrible air game. It's great.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Rainbow Cruise is an awesome CP stage, I have not lost on it in a tournament setting yet.

Wario does great on Rainbow Cruise, use it to definitely counterpick against characters with a poor vertical recovery or a terrible air game. It's great.
Bwah , I don't really get why they banned RC and Norfair and kept Frigate Orpheon in. At least Norfair doesn't totally disable some recoveries at times (tether).

Neutraal (Random Select)

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter

Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That counter pick list is too short, you show them the SBR list and make them add more stages. RC is almost always allowed as Counter pick, they shouldn't ban it just cause they don't like the stage or cause they aren't used to how it moves. You need a real reason to ban a stage, like how 75m or Big Blue or something like that is banned.

RC is my favorite level now, not just because of my tourney record on that stage but also because I just play better in general and the stage offers a lot of opportunities for you if you are patient and are willing to take some risks.

Ace55

Smash Lord
That counter pick list is too short, you show them the SBR list and make them add more stages. RC is almost always allowed as Counter pick, they shouldn't ban it just cause they don't like the stage or cause they aren't used to how it moves. You need a real reason to ban a stage, like how 75m or Big Blue or something like that is banned.
Tell that to the Dutch guy with the red name. It's not a noob tourney at all, the dutch scene is just really conservative. Always has been, to my regret.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I really don't know what to say about RC. I've sees Wario's fail horribly there, but I've also seen Wario's who **** there even more (dmg and Dama). It's naturally good against tether users, DK and Bowser, but on who else?

How those it work against Dedede? I know it's bad against MK but how bad? Doesn't Snake have a hell of a time keeping up? Is Lucario as screwed as I think he is during the non-boat part? How does Marth like it? Etc.

I know virtually nothing about this stage, I'm sure Yoshi's pipes has seen more action than this stage (mainly because of banjo music and the fact that it was going to be counterpick, but they changed that) on my Wii.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It's really not that bad against MK, and it's great against Snake because there are so many opportunities for you to either eat his cypher, or just grab him out of it. However, his uptilt is deadly near the latter half of the stage (moreso than usual). Really though, the key to doing well on this stage is to be the last one to ascend. If you're above your opponent, make sure you're a good distance away.

This is a decent stage against DDD save for the one walkoff section because he can't really camp you under any ledges as the stage is moving.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dedede also gets an infinite on the ship, no? Dthrow on the boat near the height separation/small opening. He can also be really gay in the air too with a wall of Bairs and such. The only really good thing I see for RC against Dedede is punishing his recovery and maybe getting in some early kills due to the boundaries. Otherwise, it doesn't really seem to favor Wario much.

it does pretty good against Snake, just keep him up in the air and there's not much he can do about it. He's also clunky in the air, so take advantage of that when he has to jump horizontally towards the other side. Marth and MK do pretty ok on it, I wouldn't be too worried about MK's on RC, you just don't wanna be above them or in a position to die at 30% from an Upb :)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, I forgot about the boat part. That part doesn't last too long fortunately. Also, the many platforms on RC give you a bunch of opportunities to get above DDD so as to avoid his backair walls.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I find Pokemon Stadium 1 is a decent stage for Wario, but nothing spectacular at the same time.

The edges are good for gimping certain recoveries where as Wario doesn't really have to worry about it that much in comparison. The transformations usually lead to both opponents kind of "waiting it out" anyway, so they are of little consequence. I'd say that there is no reason not to stay Wario if your opponent chooses this stage, but if you are trying to counterpick the stage, you definitely have better options.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Good stage vs Olimar, you can edgehog the stage and since it takes a long time for people to die at the bottom you don't run the risk of getting stage spiked and KO'd instantly. It is a pretty good Wario stage in general, also good against Pit and somewhat against MK cause they can't go under the stage which I guess limits their recovery options.

I rarely play on this stage to be honest, but I'm starting to like it more. Haven't lost on this stage as well as RC so I guess that's good.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The stage is pretty good, however, there are many transformations with platforms (and the main form also has two smallish ones) that allow camping options for disjointed/higher priority characters. The biggest boon as has been said is that the ledges don't screw with Wario (though I HAVE occasionally had my ledgehopped fairs go underneath the ledge), and that the sides are REAAAAALLY close, close enough that fsmash can kill at around 80 if fresh.

MKs shuttle loop is incredibly dangerous on this stage, if you can avoid it, then it's fine against them. The only character I would never take here is Kirby, b/c of his ridiculous fsmash.

Ace55

Smash Lord
One thing I'm wondering: does Wario get an infinite when he uses down throw in the pit? Should keep them in place nicely.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
One thing I'm wondering: does Wario get an infinite when he uses down throw in the pit? Should keep them in place nicely.
I really doubt it, part of the reason is that most characters can double jump and airdodge before you can grab again. Maybe against Dedede, don't know. Interesting idea though.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I still wouldn't risk it. You could easily fudge up your dthrows b/c of changing knockback and then they could counter w/ their own, easier infinite.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I really doubt it, part of the reason is that most characters can double jump and airdodge before you can grab again. Maybe against Dedede, don't know. Interesting idea though.
When I tried doing it on Wolf a while ago (not in the pit) he got screwed every time he tried to jump/roll/spotdodge (don't remember if he was smart enough to try the shine) but suprisingly enough I was unable to regrab him only when he simply blocked. His hurtbox shifts a litlle in his blocking pose and just got him out of reach of my regrab. But I would figure the pit should stop him from sliding too far.
But I've noticed the floatier ones can just jump before they tough the ground, so it would probably only work on a select few.

Don't have anyone to test this with atm but I can try later. Dedede might be willing to jump into the pit with Wario because he thinks he can get a nice infinite of his own.

Ace55

Smash Lord
To counter Snake and a couple of other characters(like Falco) Brinstar all the way guys. The sides and ceiling are very close for early kills, you can't get spiked, you could gimp snake through the middle of the field. And if the person your against has a bad recovery you could make the middle ledgeless part open up to give them a hard time.

Annnnd its cramped. When the lava gets too high and your forced to the top platform with your enemy, its practically screaming free half waft or Uair kill.

I'm in love.

Snake and range characters I pick Brinstar against.
Looking at the list of legal stages at the upcoming tourney, this plus Frigate Orpheon seem like two of my best counterpicks.

And lol at the instantly closed Wario haiku thread.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I love Brinstar as well. The uneven floors really mess up a lot of the slower characters' auto-cancelled aerials, the uneven terrain can mess up chaingrabs and spam, it's small, the ceiling is pretty low and the sides are close enough for early upair and fsmash kills, and if you SOMEHOW magically get gimped you can get saved by the fire.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Needz moar info.

And Gimpy finally makes a post on the boards and it's only to close a thread. The haiku thread and that thread are the only closed threads on the Wario boards I can remember. And we have had some great ones:

'i hate peach'
'What color do you play as' x5
'Wario's miniature bike'

And so on

Ace55

Smash Lord
Pirate Ship is a awesome stage with some stage hazards that can be avoided, so of course we banned it.

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
I once won an online tourney against a really good Olimar because the catapult killed him at 0%. Despite this, I think this stage is OK but not that great against campers and it has stage hazards, so, bad stage unless you are goofing off.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Taking Wario out of the picture, consider that every character who can spike has that advantage on Wario here...

Actually though, Wario's mobility helps him control the fight around ground zero as a cannonball is fired. He can bob back and forth, always able to retreat quickly. Helps him 'heard' the opponent into the blast range.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I once won an online tourney against a really good Olimar because the catapult killed him at 0%. Despite this, I think this stage is OK but not that great against campers and it has stage hazards, so, bad stage unless you are goofing off.
Nah I don't mind stage hazards with Wario, he works around them like they arn't even there. And the catapult doesn't kill you with good DI, only the bombs are dangerous.

Taking Wario out of the picture, consider that every character who can spike has that advantage on Wario here...
This is true, but with Wario's recovery you really shouldn't land in the water if there is any danger in it. If the opponent falls in the water (which is very possible if you edgehog them on the left side) a Nair into the boat spike can sometimes work, or a waft too kill them on the left side.

Actually though, Wario's mobility helps him control the fight around ground zero as a cannonball is fired. He can bob back and forth, always able to retreat quickly. Helps him 'heard' the opponent into the blast range.
Precisely, the cannonballs are dangerous but not so much for Wario.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I'd say its a good stage for Wario, as its hard to get caught in infinites, the stage hazards are nothing to him, and overall, there is a lot of room to move around. The bad sides are people who get you in the water and can spike you, but thats all I see.

I'm going to make wario my 2nd main now, hes just soo cool!

Ace55

Smash Lord
Now that I think of it, I can see Falco chaigrabbing you and spiking you into the water, followed by another killing spike. Anyone know if upwards slanting ground does anything to his chaingrab?

Ace55

Smash Lord
Why didn't they put the original DK rap in the game ****it. Now we have to make due with the Melee one.

And oh yeah, good Wario stage!?!

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It's an alright Wario stage, has some pluses and some minuses (the biggest being clap is no longer a reliable killer). Just don't vs any Falcos here :\

Ace55

Smash Lord
It's an alright Wario stage, has some pluses and some minuses (the biggest being clap is no longer a reliable killer). Just don't vs any Falcos here :\
Yeah this stage has mostly already been discussed in the past. No go against Falco but good Wario stage. But just for formality I asked.

Can't (ab)use it myself anyways.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It doesn't take him any longer than it does anyone else (save for Peach who can float in the water). Just gotta wait for the instant he starts paddling then do a fullhop... least that works for me.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Anyone wanna add some more stuff about Jungle Japes? All I got that I havn't seen mentioned before was that DK get's an extremely easy stagespike on the left platform. Just cargo to the edge and fthrow.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Tech that ****!

...if you can >_>

I spend most of my time on right side, performing aerials and then snapping to various edges. It's risky business though because you can get Klapped if you're on the edge of the lower platform. What I like to do is grab the edge of the rightmost platform, when ledgehop an aerial and grab the edge on the other side. And sometimes move back and forth beneath that platform. Such as letting go, then jumping below it and grabbing the other edge. Just lots of edge games to mess around with. Take advantage of the ledge invincibility when you can.

It's almost impossible to die in the water, no matter where you are. Even if you fall in from the left side. Just jump twice really fast and bike to safety. It's hard to edgeguard an opponent who falls into the water, but do your best to pester them as much as possible. Run over and grab onto an edge that you think they might grab. This usually forces them to try and grab a certain edge because it's the only one available. Then try to exploit it from there. Basically make them go where you want them to go.

Whenever you're fighting on the middle platform, try to get them on the higher middle platform so you can land a few claps from below. The left side of the stage is risky because there's less time to recover, however you can get some easy gimps on your opponent if you play your cards right. Also, try not to ever have the bike laying around. It's extremely important because you're basically screwed without it. If you do bike, make sure you break it ASAP or just ghostride it into the water. Remember, one of the fastest ways to get a bike on the ground is to run off the stage, then almost immediately bike in the opposite direction. The bike crashes into the stage and lands on the ground, so now you can break it quickly for tires.

As PhantomX mentioned, you probably won't be getting any vertical kills on this stage. So feel free to spam the clap to your heart's content :). It racks up tons of damage whether it's fresh or not. Spam it! Save that fsmash for later ;)

Remember when I said Wariocide has an odd twist on this stage? What I mean by that is you can often score a kill by "Wariociding" them into the water. I usually just ledgehop a bite and take them down with me. Now that you're both in the water, you can royally screw your opponent over. Land a footstool, steal the edge they try to grab or just hit them when they try to jump. Also, some characters just plain suck at recovering on this stage, so all you have to do is get them into the water. A bite is usually the easiest way to do so. As Hoots mentioned, your opponent is released first. The work is usually done for you. =]

It's my favorite stage ;) this and Green Greens.

Top Bottom