• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

9/04/10 - WATO12 -Western Airlines Travel Occidentally -Feat M2K and Money Drama!!!

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
WATO12

Western Airlines Travel Occidentally!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's been a while since the last WATO Tournament (at least at my house). The success of the NLL WATO11 (41 entrants for brawl) gave me confidence in the CFL and overall FL smash scene. I think everyone can agree that Sunday is just not a good day to have a local tournament; people are just often too busy. I'll start doing biweeklies or fusion triweeklies (apparently everyone likes fusion events) as long as people can provide their own setups.

One of the reasons I was reluctant in doing any more fusion events was the lack of setups. I am willing to run these events as long as people bring enough TV's and supplies, power cords, recording equipment, etc etc. My house is only so big; we have to make sure we use all the room accordingly and properly.

There is still a good melee scene in CFL; don't be swayed by the lack of participants at WATO11 (NLL) because that tournament was on a Sunday. Swordancer's random tournament had over 20 entrants, and about a dozen who didn't enter iirc.

Another reason I am worried about fusion events is TIME. People, we NEED to run FOUR events in one day; if the WATO tournaments continue growing in popularity then obviously there will be more entrants...That's why people need to serioiusly lay back on the friendlies.

I am going to start setting up friendlies stations upstairs, that way the tournament proceeds as follows.

And then there's the Order issue. The fact that people want to play their game first and not wait until 12 at midnight to play an event has always been hassling. My original idea was to do Doubles and Singles for Melee, switch all the setups, then do Doubles and Singles for Brawl. That way when melee was over most of the players would leave and there would be more room.

However, now that I contemplate it, I think it would be more fair if I did DOUBLES for both games first, and then SINGLES for both games afterwards...in other words, switch back and forth between games in order to keep players with something to do.

As I said before, this is all possible as long as players comply with SWITCHING SETUPS when I tell them to, and making sure that EVERYONE comes on time and REGISTERS when I tell them to.

With that being said, I believe we can have great turnouts (the fusion events always attract 30+ on average) and amazing turnouts (WATO5 had 70 people LOL) if we can follow a set standard. Taking Kyon's advice, I think I will always do fusion events from now on, unless another huge event takes the place of a certain weekend. Expect biweeklies and triweeklies, with each tournament taking turns which event will be played first.

It's a beautiful compromise, and you guys know I love running these events, playing maaad friendlies and money matches, having draft crews, and then going out to eat together afterwards. It defines our community, and makes me even more proud to be part of it.

We've seen what we can accomplish when we act as a community. WATO10, for those of you living under a rock, was an outstanding event with 64 melee and 80-ish brawl entrants, all thanks to the setups and effort that everyone put into it (it was the event at CEO2010, at the fairgrounds.)

Let's keep it up, and hold it down.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Rules and Details and Chipotle

1. COST
  2. TIME
  3. RULESET
  4. ADDRESS #'s
  5. ETC
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

COST

$5 Door Fee*

Melee Singles = $5
Melee Doubles = $10 for each Team ($5 a person)

Brawl Singles = $5
Brawl Doubles = $10 for each Team ($5 a person)

Door fee must be paid or you'll be asked to leave.

Now with Project: M Side event!
$3 to enter double elimination bracket.
Side tournament will occur whenever ENOUGH players enter the event.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

TIME

Registration and Friendlies start at 11 AM.
Melee Doubles begins at 12:30 PM.
Brawl Doubles begins no later than 3:00 PM.
Melee Singles begins no later than 5:30 PM.
Brawl Singles begins no later than 8:30 PM.

Players are responsible for getting their own lunch. There is no designated lunch break.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

RULESET

The WATO Tournaments, as usual, implements the Pound 4 Ruleset.

Melee:

•4 stock
•2/3 sets
•3/5 semifinals+finals
•8 minute time limit
•Items off
•Ties broken by lives, then %
•Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
•Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing allowed

Neutrals 1v1:

FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Neutrals 2v2:

FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 1v1:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Brawl:

-3 Stock
-8 Minute Time Limit
-Items are set to "off" and "none"
-All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, with the aforementioned Finals sets being best 3/5 games.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
-Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab, Marth on Ness grab-release, etc
-Ice climber infinites are LEGAL up to 250%
-Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock): If a suicide move ends a match, the match will be reset with 1 stock each to both players on the same level. Time limit will be set to 3 minutes. Both players technically died at the same time, and that is why the match was a draw. Play out the one stock, and the winner wins that match.
-Players using a Wii-mote to play must take their batteries out when not playing. We can't be having wii's be interrupted because someone made a mistake. I will be enforcing this heavily, and there will be penalties if people do not obey.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. 1st Stage will be chosen at random unless agreed upon by both players. Each Player will be provided one Random Reset, with the lower-seeded Player given the option to use their reset first.**
3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
4. The winner of the previous match may announce their Stage Ban selection
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
**If neither Player has chosen to use their Random Reset within 3 seconds of the match starting, the match must be played out on the stage generated.

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium

Additional Rules for Doubles Play:
-Life Stealing is allowed
-Team attack will be set to ON
-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
-Chibo's Color-Blind Rule: If a player on a team is playing Lucario, Sonic, or Pokemon Trainer, either team can request for them to be Blue Team and the opponents must abide. If both teams have one of the characters, they must work it out between them.

Additional Rules for Pools Play:
-Matches will be 3 stock
-7 Minute Time Limit
-Number of Players advancing from each pool will be dependant on number of entrants, number of players per pool, number of pools, and which round of pools it is.

All other questions of rules will be directed to me.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
ADDRESS and NUMBERS

The WATO venue is my house.

3418 Amaca Circle
Orlando, FL 32837

My phone number is 407-488-0510

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ETC

I am offering food and drink at my house, as I mentioned earlier; It comes with paying the five dollar door fee.

For those who don't necessarily want pizza:

I love Chipotle. Near my house is a plaza called THE LOOP. It has lots of stores and restaurants and places to enjoy yourself. Chipotle, Wendy's, Burger King, McDonalds, Subway, 5 Guys Burgers, Taco Bell, KFC, Little Caesars, and much more are less than 5 minutes away.

I hope you guys can make it out to these. I made the price nice and low so everyone could enter events. I encourage players to bring just $25. This covers all the events, gives you food and drink, all day smashing and chilling at my place, and a chance to win easy money back.

SETUPS
BRING THEM

Frames

DI
Hellz yea i'm comin!

so if you're doing both games, would you do one melee then one brawl, or if you do triweeklies, you could do week 1 melee, week 3 brawl, week 4 melee week 6 brawl, so there would be two back to back, but if you only wanted to do one at a time then week 1 melee week 4 brawl week 7 melee etc, is cool

also i think you should just do melee, there's more than enough brawl fests and tourneys, it's pretty much a tourney a week for brawl

Finch

Smash Lord
This is really expensive for a small biweekly. It should be $5 door fee and $5 per event, otherwise people won't want to go twice a month.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Melee tournaments are fun, but $15 to enter singles is steep :(.

You might want to start with a lower entrance price and work your way up.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
If it really will be biweekly, and it's held on the 23rd as well, it would be a good replacement for Gigs if/when they change their date.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Brawl tournaments happen like other every weekend.
There really is no need to have brawl bi weeklies.

If you wanna play something else, why not replace brawl with Guilty Gear? :]

Zoro

Smash Champion

Guilty Gear
hmm

yeah boi

I wanna play that game

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
You know im going and I think if you guys want to play Guilty Gear then just bring your set up over and play. Most likely you could have a tornament for both. Since melee is a fast game we would have time. WATO Owns!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Guilty Gear
hmm

yeah boi

I wanna play that game
guilty gear
You know im going and I think if you guys want to play Guilty Gear then just bring your set up over and play. Most likely you could have a tornament for both. Since melee is a fast game we would have time. WATO Owns!
I approve of this message.
If I can go I'd probably only get to be there for friendlies (little sister's birthday).

Melee>>>>>>>Brawl.
Guilty Gear>>>>>Brawl.
Sonic>>>Brawl.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Only problem I have with guilty gear is the characters aren't really as developed...they all seem like they coulda just made them up 30 seconds before putting them in the game...then again I've only played the game like twice so that's just a noob remark.

Finch

Smash Lord
Oh no I might face YL in a tournament better not pick up a good character that has a bad matchup against him.

Top Bottom