• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
95-5. My GOSH. I never knew there was such a one sided matchup in this game.

TP

Smash Master
95-5. My GOSH. I never knew there was such a one sided matchup in this game.
Where have you been? DDD vs DK, ever heard of it? What about Pika vs Fox? And of course, the classic Sheik vs Ganon.

Now, to possibly undercut everything I just said... would consistent Flight of Ganon (air dodge version) give Ganon anything useful in this match? I mean, would Ice Climbers not like to face a Ganon who could come at you by falling from above, just supposing it could happen?
The way I sea it, the Flight of Ganon would get you one surprise aerial Wizkick (down B), since people don't tend to realize how fast it is. That would knock them into the air, and who knows? Maybe you could juggle with Uair after that to rack and damage and get a stock on them.

Or they could shield grab once and take a stock on you. But at least Ganon's way is fun.

95-5.

And just so you guys know, Ganon's Utilt is considered much more useful than his Dsmash.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Just going to say, Down smash doesn't do anything. It's not used nonaccidentally, pretty much - it's never the optimal choice.
Although I'd be interested to hear if it does operate differently on your unique character.
I only stated that Down-Smash hits on both sides :laugh:. I should have mentioned why it's never used. Down-Smash doesn't work any differently on us than it does on other characters.

Up-tilt is definitely more useful than Warlock Punch. Some Ganons like to talk about pawnch same as Falcon, but really, it's utilt that does the heavy lifting in the certain situations it's good for (ledge guarding, blundered returns to the ground from high, that kind of thing). Punch only shows up for really bad mistakes, like missing a Rest (or even hitting one for nonlethal damage).
I agree with Up-Tilt having more use than Warlock Punch or Down-Smash now that I think about it. I listed all the uses of Up-Tilt, (except for edgeguarding.)

Last, I noticed the systematic use of double Ns. I'll spare the link to the lecture website since these are your boards, but come on man. One N, please. :)
Sorry about that. I don't even know why I did that :dizzy:. I'll edit the post.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
The matchup is pretty one sided and is pretty clear who should win. Sakurai is so mean =O

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm curious about the DK vs ICs matchup.

It is wayyyyy too hard to get close to a good DK.

gantrain05

Smash Master
im gonna say 100-0 ganon, just cuz he's totally awesome, chokes people, and thunderstomps the climbers brains out....and cuz i want to get some iceys mad so i can continue to laugh as i take ganons revenge by murdering them with peach.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about the DK vs ICs matchup.

It is wayyyyy too hard to get close to a good DK.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with DK.
I've lost to 2 good DKs in the last 2 tourneys. =/
He's very hard to get close to, and if he separates the climbers, Nana eats a smash and usually dies.
I have trouble getting in close because I'm scared to get punished lol.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
DK: Jumping Blizzard is ****.

Ganon: Solo Dthrow chain to Fsmash at the edge is extra ****.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble with DK.
I've lost to 2 good DKs in the last 2 tourneys. =/
He's very hard to get close to, and if he separates the climbers, Nana eats a smash and usually dies.
I have trouble getting in close because I'm scared to get punished lol.
I played Ripple's DK and it made me rethink that entire matchup...

Yeah. T-T

Kage Me

Smash Ace
i always practice my chains and desynchs on DK and Bowser so its easy for me
Desynchs on DK?

I always find that DK is the worst character to desynch against. He already ***** Nana when you're synched. If Popo happens to be busy, it's like a "kill her" sign attached to his neck. And yes, he's quite capable of doing so.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
ye thats true but somehow ive never had a problem with that or its just the fact that i maybe havent played a DK thats good enough

gantrain05

Smash Master
DK gives iceys alot of trouble, hell, he gives most chars alot of trouble, he generally doesn't let people get in close enough to be grabbed himself, and his tilts and DownB **** the piss out of nana, 6 frames behind really sucks when a Dtilt > Down B is comin, and as soon as nana pops into the air it usually results in some form of gimp for the little ho.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
ye thats true but somehow ive never had a problem with that or its just the fact that i maybe havent played a DK thats good enough
You probably haven't, lol. =/

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I haven't played a good DK in tourney in a long time. The last time I did, he won the first round, and then I just started spamming well-spaced sh squall hammers and won the next three rounds pretty handily. I'm not sure if this worked just because that particular DK couldn't find a way around it or if DK really does have a hard time with squall hammer, though.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm not sure, but I think a few of his moves can just slap you right out of Squall Hammer. o__o;

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
He definitely can, but I think he has a harder time if you always jump and then squall hammer such that you land on top of him or just behind him, which helps you get around things like ftilt and dtilt pretty easily. I bet he could still knock you out of it with utilt or something, but I'm not sure since I don't know a lot about DK in the first place.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
He definitely can, but I think he has a harder time if you always jump and then squall hammer such that you land on top of him or just behind him, which helps you get around things like ftilt and dtilt pretty easily. I bet he could still knock you out of it with utilt or something, but I'm not sure since I don't know a lot about DK in the first place.
I tried be tricky with my squalls, but he knocked me out of it almost every time with a tilt or a smash.
I know you're supposed to spam desynched blizzards, but if you mess up once Nana is dead. It's like Falco against the ICs... it seems like he'd do well because he can camp lasers and phantasm, but in actuality, lasers only do so much... just like blizzards only do so much...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I just Desync blizzard since none of his moves go through it and when I can, grab him and start cging... It's a pretty easy match up if you can predict him (which is pretty easy)

Dev2000

Smash Lord
I just Desync blizzard since none of his moves go through it and when I can, grab him and start cging... It's a pretty easy match up if you can predict him (which is pretty easy)
ye that works aswell and if you cant seem to pull THAT off then you should only attack when hes fully open and for the rest just dodge that will work to

Dev2000

Smash Lord
LAIN again:

fix'd

10deaddemonictrilogys:[
Why would you want to kill yourself over a game i mean how hopeless must you be to do so and if you dont have anything useful to say here then you shouldnt be here in the first place go **** some other Threads with BS and leave the IC ones alone
KKTHXBAI

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Why would you want to kill yourself over a game i mean how hopeless must you be to do so and if you dont have anything useful to say here then you shouldnt be here in the first place go **** some other Threads with BS and leave the IC ones alone
KKTHXBAI
It's Lain. Were you expecting something useful? ;D

On another note, I've heard of people commiting suicide because Eternal Darkness/Silent Hill/Fatal Frame scared them so badly. To be honest, I too was scared into oblivion after playing Eternal Darkness for a night or so.
Not to the point of suicide, admittedly, but still.

...You really shouldn't play horror games at night.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings

On another note, I've heard of people commiting suicide because Eternal Darkness/Silent Hill/Fatal Frame scared them so badly. To be honest, I too was scared into oblivion after playing Eternal Darkness for a night or so.

i play lots of them at night, yet im still alive, your logic is flawed

and on DK, never played any so i have on data on it ;P

Dev2000

Smash Lord

haha thats true but killing yourself is getting waaaaaaaaaaaay to far imo

Oh and ive finally found a good dk and ye DK is a ***** when it comes to ice climbers thank god i still main kirby aswell

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
haha thats true but killing yourself is getting waaaaaaaaaaaay to far imo

Oh and ive finally found a good dk and ye DK is a ***** when it comes to ice climbers thank god i still main kirby aswell
Finally people agree with me.
I asked for help on this matchup like a month ago and the overall response I got was YOU SUCK DESYNCH BLIZZARDS SQUALL SQUALL SQUALL.
It's harder than you think...

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Finally people agree with me.
I asked for help on this matchup like a month ago and the overall response I got was YOU SUCK DESYNCH BLIZZARDS SQUALL SQUALL SQUALL.
It's harder than you think...
ye it is harder then it looks everyone is like that takes no skill but when they try it they kan only fail at the dthrow N-Fair chain

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
If I may say something: The Ike boards were discussing this match, and we in fact did make a topic here to ask people to give input. We only got about 3 people to assist us, but all of those agreed (In addition to the Ike board itself) that the match was in Ike's favor, but not by much. We'd still appreciate any comments, even though we have moved on to a different character, especially considering you guys list Ike as an advantage here.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
If I may say something: The Ike boards were discussing this match, and we in fact did make a topic here to ask people to give input. We only got about 3 people to assist us, but all of those agreed (In addition to the Ike board itself) that the match was in Ike's favor, but not by much. We'd still appreciate any comments, even though we have moved on to a different character, especially considering you guys list Ike as an advantage here.
I played Kirk. Fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e2Z66_7OSA

It started off so promising. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom