• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
The only thing Fox has going for him in this matchup is his speed.
Many of his aproach options are punishable with a grab.
He has his laser, but it won't disrupt desynchs, so your IBs and blizzards will keep him from laser camping.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Can't we reflect IB. But I say Fox wins at long range. Because of his speed we are able to laser camp let you approach, then we run away repeat. But Overall ICs are a real pain, but not as bad pika. Dair to Dsmash is a great seperater move. And we also could approach by running then shield grab. I'll more of a write up later. I did some testing with Fox and this might actually screw ICs a little.

Edit: Can I play one of you ICs Mainers? this not to prove my point I just want some quick match-up exp.

Lol post 333.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
IB crap all over lasers, and relfecting IBs is rarely ever worth it since they tend to collide together and her comes more, or the IC themselves for a grab. across FD we win the longrage confrontation cause our lasers can possily poke for some damage, but only to make them move forwards somewhat.

generlly our speed is all i see we have and some decent ability at separating them.

75:25 IC

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
that's why I want to play some one so I can make sure I have a solid write-up.

Edit: @Jiggly from what I heard ICs have horrible grab range so a well placed Fair or Nair would make it hard for them to counter.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
easy 0-40% (not sure of estimate forgotten) and fox is super easy to chaingrab. The main thing he can do to stay away is fox illusion to laser and every now and than a reflector to split them apart. I believe this is one of foxes hardest matchup. The overall gameplay is based around "Dont get grabbed" and speed.

Ratio(possibly) : 6:4

Right, the drill can damage both IC but used int he rright area. Blizzard pretty much destorys most fox's apporaches. (and drill can sometimes split them apart)

Then again..this is my opions...

which reminds me, if you reflect the IB, it cancels out witht the other ice block

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I just wanted to point out you could reflect IB because you both get nowhere if both IB collide with each other. Plus soon as an project hits Fox's Reflecter he can either Jump out of it or dodge roll out of it. I wonder why none of the Foxes use that thier advantage.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
last time i fought ICs as Fox it was not fun. i went peach the next rounds after that one. the **** was harsh.

Edit: @Ibly
i don't use it much cause Fox is usually a transition character for me so i forget that. and also unusually my fox is matched against non campers for some strange reason. the thing is they can stil shoot more IB or by themselves some time to close in if they need to.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Well I thought maybe slowly you can slowly approach them while hitting their projectiles back at them. IB->Shine->shorthops closer out of shine, repeat.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i tried that before, but it went both ways they shot i reflected we both moved they inched forward so i pulled back. maybe its just me though

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I played Bunny she clearly dominated me with ICs but as I played her more the easier the match-up got there are things that Fox can exploit. You can reflect Blizzard...so where's your destorying Fox's approaches now? XD. Like Falco's you DI ICs CG>Spike but unlike Falco's ICs leave at like 130% percentage or something like that. FOX's dair is useless in this match-up. Well placed Nairs and Fairs give ICs hell. (ICs grab range is short.) Main thing is watch out for CG. Bunny had to resort to CG>Smash. I'm actually starting to see these match-up becoming 60:40 ICs or 55:45. On Fox's part play smart always let ICs approach you. Shine is your lifesaver in this match-up. I think comes out faster than ICs grab.(Shine comes out on frame 4) So we you see them coming in for dash grab, shine those double *****es.(Correct me if I'm wrong). Like before at long range is Fox's advantage. Illision also will help in this match. Once gotten rid of Nana. I say Killing Popo should be to hard. I'm guessing FD and SV would be Fox's best counterpicks for ICs you need to room. Don't go blindly rushing in like I did sometimes. Pace yourself.
I find this match-up somewhere between 60:40-55:45 ICs.

P.S. GGs bunny, but why wouldn't you die on your last stock?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Bunny DI guarantees that you don't die until 150 or more. =D

Lol, ggs. ^^ That matchup is too easy for ICs. ._.;

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
75:25 ICs sound right. The Ice Climbers just DEMOLISH Fox so hard. I remember playing Bunny on Wi-Fi a couple of months ago. I just cried at the end of the game xD.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Interesting inputs...

For some reason, a lot of people like to use Fox on me, but it's probably because I'm not a fan of this matchup.

Everyone knows that Fox is very quick. He moves quickly along the ground, and has quick attacks.

I find his jab to be annoying sometimes, but it's easy to DI out of and has punishable end lag. F-tilt is safe on the block when spaced well and D-tilt probably is too. Up-Tilt is a good juggling move at low percents, and it links into other moves if you don't DI out.

His Smashes are decent. Down- Smash is fast (comes out on frame 5) and hits on both sides at the same time. It's best used to punish a roll, or out of D-Air. Forward-Smash is decent. It's has bad end lag, so it's not safe on the block. Everyone fears the Up-Smash, due to it's power and speed.

His aerials are quick but generally lack range. D-Air is a favored approach among Fox mains. It's multi-hit, which is always a problem and has a good chance of tripping at least one of the Climbers. It's not the best approach in ths matchup because the landing lag is enough where we can put our shield up before the next attack hits. And grabbing us is asking to be punished. F-Air can be annoying because it's split's the Climbers up well. A well placed N-Air can be safe if it lands behind the Ice Climbers shield, but it can be eaisly shieldgrabbed. B-Air has good speed and knockback, but poor range. Up-Air can kill, but not as well as Up-Smash does. I think D-Air beats it.

Fox's blaster can be annoying. It fires at a rapid pace, and doesn't make the enemy flinch. It also shoots Ice Blocks back, and can force an approach. Side-B is a form of recovery, but can be used as a quick get away, and pops the Ice Climbers in the air. The Reflector can reflect Blizzard, but it's not going to do much damage to us. It also can split the Ice Climbers up for a bit, but the low knockback won't help much.

Fox's best option if he wants to grab is B-Throw. It's his quickest throw, and it takes the other Climber more time to get back. A pivot grab to Back-Throw is hard to punish if Fox lands it.

Fox has a way he can gimp us out of our Up-B. If we tether the stage, his fast falling speed will allow him to drop down fast enough to hit Popo before he can grab the ledge. They can drop down and B-Air into the stage or Shine Spike us, which is guaranteed death. I'm not sure what he can do to Side-B (beside Shine Spike it,) but it's probably safer.

Fox is extremely light (only heavier than Game and Watch, Squirtle, and Jigglypuff,) and he falls really fast. These two combined attributes make him easy to chaingrab. His lack of safe approaches makes him pretty easy to grab too. His falling speed also makes him easy to juggle at low percents. He can stall with his Reflector on the way down, so be patient when he's falling. If he fast falls, shield and punish. If he airdodges normally, wait out the invincibiltity frames and attack or short hop Up-Air. If he uses the Reflector and has no jumps left, Up-Air should work, or Up-B for the kill.

Fox can be chaingrabbed by Sopo up to a bit over 70 if the throw is staled enough. A SoPo chain accross the stage to F-Smash leaves Fox in a very bad position. If he's below the stage, D-Tilt should send him out too far to recover. You want to force Fox to use Up-B. He has very poor DI after his Up-B is used. His Side-B will be used if he's over the stage. Blizzard beats out Fox's Side-B. Other moves, like Forward-Smash and Down-Smash beat out Side-B too. If he likes to land on the stage with Side-B, the best place to stand is right outside of Side-B's range. If they like to sweetspot the ledge, stand in a range where the edge of Blizzard can reach.

I think this matchup is 6-4 in the Ice Climbers favor, but 7-3 seems to be the general consensus.

Side note: Reflector is faster than our grab. Our standing grab comes out on frame 6, and our dash grab is slower.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
75:25 ICs sound right. The Ice Climbers just DEMOLISH Fox so hard. I remember playing Bunny on Wi-Fi a couple of months ago. I just cried at the end of the game xD.
Whoopsies, haha.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Whoopsies, haha.
Lol I swear I was so upset because I was able to handle your Kirby in the first match and I was like "HA! I GOT THIS!!! O MAN I'M THE BEST!" Then i think you 3 stocked me on Halberd and then 2 stocked me somewhere else and I just didn't know what to think. I don't think I felt that bad since my goldfish died XD.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Lol I swear I was so upset because I was able to handle your Kirby in the first match and I was like "HA! I GOT THIS!!! O MAN I'M THE BEST!" Then i think you 3 stocked me on Halberd and then 2 stocked me somewhere else and I just didn't know what to think. I don't think I felt that bad since my goldfish died XD.
i know how you feel... i've faced people who just **** me and despite everything i tried the ****** just kept going..... so i go play cpus and then THEY **** me too.... when it rains it pours....

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Bnzaa only a couple things wrong in your summary. Fox is 7th lightest character. Dair is not a favored approach since like Septemeber. It's more of a punshier if anything else. Maybe its just Bunny but the De-synched SH blizzard is annoying and as she was approaching with it I ran up in her face and Shined. She got turned to Ice.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah, Blizzard really isn't good against Fox. It's just pretty natural for me to spam it now.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Bnzaa only a couple things wrong in your summary. Fox is 7th lightest character. Dair is not a favored approach since like Septemeber. It's more of a punshier if anything else. Maybe its just Bunny but the De-synched SH blizzard is annoying and as she was approaching with it I ran up in her face and Shined. She got turned to Ice.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll remember that.

And you guys do approach with N-Air? I've been doing it for a while, but I thought it was looked down upon.

The only Fox main I've fought since September outside of school was R00kie, and he did drill attacks and didn't know the matchup at first. When he learned it, he started to camp me.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
well if ya fight certain characters enough coughcoughpeachcoughcoughzeldacoughcoughmarthcoughcough......

ya do learn not to Dair all over the place like your a certain princess.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Dair really cuts you're air mobility and forgot to add fair as an approach. But FLAMEDASH makes all match-ups 99:1. (1 being the chance they mess up the FLAMEDASH and blow themselves up from awsomeness.)

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
...flamedash? the super long pivot grab? but even so, it still not in fox's favor at all. at bare minumum the worst it is for fox is 60:40 and it can get a lot worse. Fox are forced to approach if since eventualy the IB will come to them and damage them. The rapid lasering will be cut down and teh IB will get more often....imo anyway

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
...flamedash? the super long pivot grab? but even so, it still not in fox's favor at all. at bare minumum the worst it is for fox is 60:40 and it can get a lot worse. Fox are forced to approach if since eventualy the IB will come to them and damage them. The rapid lasering will be cut down and teh IB will get more often....imo anyway
Lol Flamedash isn't the super long pivot grab. Not even close =D I don't wanna go into it. Just go to our forums and see the best move ever created! *giggles*

We all know it can get worst than 60:40, which is why the majority of the Fox players have said 70:30/75:35.

Fox can't shine/jump over the Ice Blocks?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
you can but the IBs cancel themselves and im sure by that time the ICs have already moved, or can move, even at close range. pray for RC open cp 75:25 ICs....

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Thanks a million =D

I was soooo proud of myself when i finished it. I was always in a rush to finish it because I thought it was going to be so cool, but since I kept rushing I kept making little mistakes, like I would border it wrong or the font was too small etc, and since I'm a perfectionist it took me like 9 hours straight to get it done. All my friends were like come over and play some smash! And I was like...Ummmm...this sig is going to be too good! I can't.

This is my original FLCL sig I made. Pretty plan and simple. I'm sad I can't locate my resized version.

Sorry Ice Climbers People. I feel like I'm spamming the Ice Climbers Match-Up Thread.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Thanks a million =D

I was soooo proud of myself when i finished it. I was always in a rush to finish it because I thought it was going to be so cool, but since I kept rushing I kept making little mistakes, like I would border it wrong or the font was too small etc, and since I'm a perfectionist it took me like 9 hours straight to get it done. All my friends were like come over and play some smash! And I was like...Ummmm...this sig is going to be too good! I can't.

This is my original FLCL sig I made. Pretty plan and simple. I'm sad I can't locate my resized version.

Sorry Ice Climbers People. I feel like I'm spamming the Ice Climbers Match-Up Thread.
we all <3 FLCL here(spams Fox boards with FLCL and FLAMEDASH)

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
6:4 G&W

he's not as bad as it would seem, but his aerials will mess you up. its all about spacing and taking advantage of mistakes. i'd try and stay away from platform stages, as he'll use the platforms to his advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom