• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
thats different. you just suck.

lolno. i lost to a ike online so i can't talk. i had trouble with this matchup first and everyone here just blew me off saying punish end lag to grab. WHAT NOW *****ES!? WHAT NOW!?
If the Ike is good then there really is no punishable end lag.
The moves that ARE laggy have enough range to make up for it.
I got ***** by crouch cancelled jabs, too.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
If the Ike is good then there really is no punishable end lag.
The moves that ARE laggy have enough range to make up for it.
I got ***** by crouch cancelled jabs, too.
exactly. but nobody offered any useful information. i still think its a pretty even match. his horrid recovery really works hard to our disadvantage. but he can send us flying with a side tilt... and spike our tether recovery with his dtilt.... it may be 50:50.... both have our own strengths and weaknesses in the matchup....

lain

Smash Master
SideB really helps out in this matchup. It lets you avoid NOT landing anywhere near him, getting ***** by charged mashes.

If you shield a smash by him, unless powershielded, do NOT try and run in to grab. You will get jabbed.

blizzard's pretty gay in this matchup, just make sure not to get outspaced obv.

uhm but yeah seriously sideB. this matchup. makes it 70-30.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
i myself dont have a problem with ike ive fought quite a few ofc they beat me but mostly i beat them i myself will go for a 60:40 if it comes to IC vs Ike

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Ike has friends?

Anyways I'd honestly say this is even to anywhere to Ike's advantage, but I'm leaning to Ike's advantage.

Ike is so annoying, it's so hard to get close to him cause his giant *** dic.... I mean sword is so LONG! (lawlcakes). It's hard to get the grab is he spaces properly even his his attacks are "slow".

His Fair is a ***** and crouched canceled jabs are a ***** as well. I feel as if we have to constantly use Blizzard and Squall to get into him and kill him.

Yeah I don't play enough Ike's so I'm just gonna say 40: 60 to IC: Ike.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
My philosophy on this match up...

Ike punishes stupidity with a fsmash...

Nana is stupid...

Ike + Nana - Smart Popo protecting Nana = Dead Nana at 40%

My preferred method in this match up is to grab Popo/Nana grab attack to knock the other one away then bthrow and go after Nana, then jab Popo away after he tries to save Nana then fsmash Nana.. (Or some strong move to hit Nana away or maybe fair her while she's off stage, you get the point)

If you aren't good at 0-death then this match up will be a bit hard for IC. Also depends on how good Ike is at button mashing out of Nana's grab before being thrown into Popo's usmash..

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
This matchup may not be as easy as people think it is.

Ike has Jab that is quicker than ours (frame 3) and the first 2 hits can link into another Jab chain. Jab can knock you off the stage at high percents.

Ike has a sword. A giant one. With lots of priority, power, and range.

His tilts are all very powerful. F-Tilt may be one of Ike's more reliable kill moves. It's not fast, but it has awesome range. His Up-Tilt beat out everything we have from above, and has kill potential. I think this move may be fairly situational. Down-Tilt is situational, due to it's lack of speed and massive end lag. It has the ability to spike for an edgeguard as well.

All his smashes are powerful. F-Smash his extremely powerful with the ability to kill at around 60, maybe even lower. It has good range also. Down-Smash hits on both sides, but it isn't quick and is punishable. You won't see this move being used much if at all. Up-Smash swings in an arc, and hits in front, over, and behind him. It has a lot of range, and is hard to avoid when trying to land.

Ike will probably be approaching from the air. N-Air hits around him with very little landing lag. Ike can link this into a Jab, and N-Air (and all his other aerials,) have enough shield knockback (unless powershielded) to hit you out of range for a counterattack. F-Air is a commonly used approach. It has the most range out of any F-Air in the game. It hits hard and can KO when fresh. It also has either little landing lag or Interrupted as Soon as Frames upon landing (not sure which,) so punishing it's end lag (especially with a grab) isn't that easy. It aslo hits under him slightly. D-Air spikes when sweetspoted. When not sweetspoted it sends you into the air. B-Air is Ike's fastest aerial. It can be used in a shorthop with the move ending before landing. It comes out on frame 6 . Up-Air can kill and stays out for a while. This move can also be difficult to avoid from above.

His Neutral-B (Eruption) is one of the most powerful moves in the game when it's almost fully charged. It has deceptive range and Super Armor upon release I think. An uncharged Eruption can kill around 100. It has the ability to spike, but the massive end lag and the rare chances of it happening don't make the spike useful. His Side-B (Quick Draw) isn't save on the shield and is very punishable when it just misses the opponent. If he misses his opponent completely, he can do any action right after. Up-B (Aether) has Super Armor frames when Ike is on the way up. It hits multiple times and also spikes. Ike's Counter is one of the strongest counters in the game. It's pretty useless though, as it takes too long to activate, and missing a counter means extreme punishment.

Ike ***** Nana when the Ice Climbers get separated.

Ike can edgeguard us pretty easily. Every single move of his can hit us out of Squall Hammer (Jab included.) Reverse Aether Dragging will allow him to spike with Aether, while grabbing the ledge. He can use Down-Tilt to spike us if we are close to or hanging on the edge.

Ike has 2 recovery options. He can either Quick Draw, or use Aether. Most Ike users will almost never use Quick Draw. All it takes for them to fall is for you to get in the way of the attack. It also doesn't sweetspot the ledge, which can be a problem for them on some stages. They will use Aether to come back, usually at the lowest point possible so they can grab the edge and hit you at the same time.

If Ike grabs you, they will pummel to knock the other Climber away. Forward Throw is fast and will knock into the other Climber. Back throw may also be used, as it moves Ike in the direction he's throwing (away from you.)

Ice Blocks force Ike to approach due to his lack of projectile. Blizzard gives Ike problems, and Desynched Blizzards makes it difficult to approach. Squall Hammer racks up damage well on him also for damage and juggling him. Up-Airs should work well due to his weight and falling speed. He also has limited options when he's above us. You should be able to react to what he does when he's landing and punish accordingly. He's heavy, so chaingrabbing him shouldn't be that difficult.

Powershielding is extremely important if you want to grab/punish him. Most of his moves can be blocked on reaction, but if it's normal shielded the attack will knock you back too far to punish him.

Taking Ike to a stage with platforms like Battlefield may be a bad idea, as he can attack through the platforms easily. Delfino is a bad stage for use due to the water and platforms. Final Destination is the best stage to fight him on.

This is probably 6-4 in Ike's favor.

TP

Smash Master
Hi guys. I would just like to say that the summary for Ganon is incredibly accurate, the best I have seen in a matchup thread. Good job.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
his razor blades can be annoying to ice block canceling. plus his smashes/tilts have range/multihit properties respectively. his usmash and uair have kill potential like NOBODY'S business. on the other hand, his bullet seed is pretty much useless if it misses due to end lag, making a grab easy. his recovery is.. well... its crap. the guy has a tether that can be edge hogged easily. his aerials can help him space the ICs (especially bair), but blizzard can out reach pretty much anything he has (aside from razor leaf). his medium weight means cgs are easy to time, yet he can be sent flying pretty easily.

i'd say at least 6:4 our favor.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I've never really had a problem against Ivy, and I play a good one on a regular basis.
Razor leaf goes through EVERYTHING. Usmash kills at like 40%. His grab is decent. Ftilt and Bullet Seed are good damage builders. His jab is a good move to get you off him. Besides these strong points, though, he doesn't really have much. I prefer chaining dthrows (easier than fthrows to time) to the ledge for a spike. His recover isn't good from under the stage, so this should get you some early kills.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Well it's even to somewhat his advantage IMO.

His Bair is a ***** and Ivysaur will use it, you have Blizzard to deal with it and desyncing it makes it much more better, but than he can just razor leaf his way to it. =O

His Ftilt is annoying, it somewhat splits up the ICs and it kinda eats your shield :*(

I have little knowledge on it so 60: 40 Ivysaur: ICs

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
that must be a typo, wtf? better cp a stage with a high ceiling...luiigis mansion anyone?
That MIGHT be an exaggeration, but it's probably the most powerful usmash in the game.

I forgot about his bair. It can be a pain, but I'm pretty sure it lacks priority. It can usually be shut down with a SHed squall or blizzard. It's knockback/hitstun is practically non-existent, so unless the Ivysaur has FLAWLESS spacing, the move really isn't all too effective.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
REALLY? Ivysaur?

REALLY?

jks.

10-0

>________>

This actually has SOME value (as do all of lain's useless comments).
I find Squirtle or even Charizard a harder matchup (especially Squirtle if you've never played a good PT). Ivy isn't terrible, but he doesn't have much of anything to combat the ICs. Charizard at least has some range/power and speed, and Squirtle can be very confusing if he's good at shell-shifting and stuffff.

lain ftw.

lain

Smash Master
my posts are one that on the surface are nothing but scrawling's of a ****, but they carry hidden truth.

lalw

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
my posts are one that on the surface are nothing but scrawling's of a ****, but they carry hidden truth.

lalw
nah, they really don't have any depth. people just look for depth to them so they don't feel so insignificant at being worse that someone who smokes pot all (month).

Dev2000

Smash Lord
i dont play against ivysaur alot but when i do i dont have a real big problem with him the biggest problem for me is his razor leaf and his Bair you just have to stay a little bit away from him and Dont jump on top of him his Usmash wil kill

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i dont play against ivysaur alot but when i do i dont have a real big problem with him the biggest problem for me is his razor leaf and his Bair you just have to stay a little bit away from him and Dont jump on top of him his Usmash wil kill
thats all well and good, but remember: periods were invented for a reason.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Use Blizzard, 120 base power and 70% accuracy. will OHKO ivysaur due to STAB and super effectiveness. Pray you don't miss.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Use Blizzard, 120 base power and 70% accuracy. will OHKO ivysaur due to STAB and super effectiveness. Pray you don't miss.
:laugh:

LOOOL Ivysaur doesn't have much on Icies. As mentioned, Razor Leaf can be annoying, but that's about it. U-Smash isn't all that much of an issue since you should be spending the majority of your time on the ground anyway.

70:30?

The main issue is Ivysaur switching to other Pokemon...

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Well I just played Barge,and Ivysaur was destroyed out there.Anytime the IC's got close,There was nothing he could of done.Things got alot better when I used Charizard though.Ivysaur may outcamp them,He cannot do much when they approach.

75:25 Ice climbers advantage.

lain

Smash Master
IC vs Pika at a high level of play is 55-45 or 60-40 in IC's favor. Play it smart and wait, don't let him hit you with a lot of thunderjolts, sideb around him so he doesn't just catch you with dsmash from landing, and hit the z button a lot.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
...Then he'd Vine Whip into thin air. The Climbers are pretty short, so they'd have to be very close for that attack to hit.
LOL B is not Vine whip,Its bullet seed,and if the IC's are running when he Bullet seeds,then DI will save them from ****.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
uhm the lack of ability to chaingrab is a pain in the *** but if nana is dead and yours isnt then its a pretty easy match i geuss its 50/50 cause the ditto match players are capable of the same things

lain

Smash Master
this matchup is absolutely horrible for ICe Climbers. 10-0.

that aside, this is a silly matchup. a silly, ******** matchup filled with fullhop blizzarding and squall hammer, with a pinch of shield release to fsmash.

oh and lots of juggling with aerials. that too.

this matchup is not fun at all. however it IS fun to infinite someone's popo. it hurts so bad :]

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
BLIZZARD SPAM!!!

thats not an exageration. its 5:5, but i think its widely agreed that IC dittoes are THE most annoying dittoes. ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom