• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Wait wait wait, I just realized, DK has a huge disadvantage against ICs? O.o I thought they would be even, or at least 55:45 ICs or 60:40 ICs. But 80-20 is like, so big. o-o Sometimes I even have trouble facing him because of his b-airs, d-tilt, filt, and his other long ranged attacks give meh some trouble, even though we have projectiles...

Well, *looks up for more infooo*

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
DK is easily Blizzard camped and infinited.

Ehhhh? I think Kirby can do okay against IC's using bairs or something... I dunno. Doesn't seem impossible to me. IC's cg's are easy to do against Kirby, but I can see Kirby adapting... doesn't seem impossible to me. I like to think Kirby can do anything :)

Anyway, I'll agree with 60:40 IC's for now.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
mostly when i play kirby i dont have a hard time his range is crap and his low damage grab combo is useless cause the other ice climber wil smash him out he is easy 2 grab so i agree with lain
65:35

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
wait, wait, everybody should go to the kirby boards and look at their matchup discussion on us. its HILARIOUS! sheermadness is such a stupid ****. seriously. if you want a good laugh go read it. starts on page 102.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
wait, wait, everybody should go to the kirby boards and look at their matchup discussion on us. its HILARIOUS! sheermadness is such a stupid ****. seriously. if you want a good laugh go read it. starts on page 102.
YES i know! its hilarious XD camping bairs will easily seperate them and stuff ahaha! i laughed so hard when i read that thread xD

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You guys are easily amused, lol.

Fun fact btw~ Kirby has about 2 moves that go through Blizzard.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
ye i main kirby aswell tho but idk anything about the match-ups from all the other characters i play cause basicly i dont care Ice climbers
are just the best
(well.. without metaknight they would be)

Lain and you were right all the time in that thread and that sheermadness dude just keeps defending himself even tho HE KNOOOWS< KNNNOOOOWWWWWSSSS he is wrong his theory is just like yes but i play it right! :D so i win this matchup is in kirbz his favor
and its just hilarious to see him have a sadly trying to defend himself
:p
Imo, kirbz and IC is 65:35 (yes kirby does have a chance at hitting our little ice climbers :3) i got beat by a few actually well... when i started playing IC in melee tho after that maybe 1 time :p

oh btw pinyata kirby is awesome lol

You guys are easily amused, lol.

Fun fact btw~ Kirby has about 2 moves that go through Blizzard.
too bad blizzard isnt our only move :p

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Everyone but me seems to think it's in Ice Climber's favor. Except Sheermadness, who thinks it's in Kirby's favor.

I think it's even, 55:45 ICs perhaps.

We're talking about top levels of play here. If Jigglypuff can WoP Nana after separating, so can Kirby, and imo Kirby can separate more easily than she can. Upthrow + platforms = yesz, among other things.

Jigglypuff's "hard to chaingrab" - ness has no merit in a discussion where we're talking about high levels of play. You should have it down >:O

I dunno, I just don't see how Jigglypuff, who has NO projectiles rather than just a crappy one, has less priority generally with the exception of Pound, has a worse ground game, and a harder time gimping, has an advantage, while Kirby is at a disadvantage.

If you were to be realistic with matchup discussions, ICs should be like 99:1 with everything, since they can 0-death everyone.

I just don't see Kirby being disadvantaged 60:40 or more, because that would make other characters easily 80:20 or so..which may be possible, considering I haven't looked at your matchup charts to see what you guys rated the other characters in Souper Smash Bruthers Barlw @_@

Kirby can't do **** against IC's. His range is laughable and is thus easily grabbable. He can't even approach either.

Kirby's only redeeming quality is being able to edgegaurd well.

6.5:3.5
Hey guyz, I'm going to moneymatch Lain Friday, and hopefully we will get it recorded and see just how bad this matchup is for Kirby >:O

edit: Ike is 6:4 Ike's advantage? Interesting, I'll have to test that one out too.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Everyone but me seems to think it's in Ice Climber's favor. Except Sheermadness, who thinks it's in Kirby's favor.

I think it's even, 55:45 ICs perhaps.

We're talking about top levels of play here. If Jigglypuff can WoP Nana after separating, so can Kirby, and imo Kirby can separate more easily than she can. Upthrow + platforms = yesz, among other things.

Jigglypuff's "hard to chaingrab" - ness has no merit in a discussion where we're talking about high levels of play. You should have it down >:O

I dunno, I just don't see how Jigglypuff, who has NO projectiles rather than just a crappy one, has less priority generally with the exception of Pound, has a worse ground game, and a harder time gimping, has an advantage, while Kirby is at a disadvantage.

If you were to be realistic with matchup discussions, ICs should be like 99:1 with everything, since they can 0-death everyone.

I just don't see Kirby being disadvantaged 60:40 or more, because that would make other characters easily 80:20 or so..which may be possible, considering I haven't looked at your matchup charts to see what you guys rated the other characters in Souper Smash Bruthers Barlw @_@

Hey guyz, I'm going to moneymatch Lain Friday, and hopefully we will get it recorded and see just how bad this matchup is for Kirby >:O
allright Goodluck man so we can finally have some video proof of this matchup (there must already be something somewhere somehow but we r just to lazy :D)

gantrain05

Smash Master
wow, these ice climbers boards are a joke, you think you honestly got that much of an advantage on DK, yet you go even with jigglypuff, with all these claims you guys should probably have more tourney wins, so where are they? kirby vs ic's is even, you aren't going to be grabbing kirby every time he approaches, in fact its probably easier for him to seperate the IC's than it is for you to grab him.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I'm leaning towards 55-45 IC really, Kirby is a ***** in the air and his ground game is on par with us IMO and I agree with Asdioh, we make like ******** match up ratios sometimes :3

As well, LAIN YOU BETTER WIN THIS <3 Make sure he doesn't counterpick Frigate Orpheon xD

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
wow, these ice climbers boards are a joke, you think you honestly got that much of an advantage on DK, yet you go even with jigglypuff, with all these claims you guys should probably have more tourney wins, so where are they? kirby vs ic's is even, you aren't going to be grabbing kirby every time he approaches, in fact its probably easier for him to seperate the IC's than it is for you to grab him.
Hi.

These numbers are rather old. We haven't even done DK yet.

And I'd really like you to name one scenario where Kirbys approaches and you can't shieldgrab him. Kirby has fairly bad approaches as it is.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Hi.

These numbers are rather old. We haven't even done DK yet.

And I'd really like you to name one scenario where Kirbys approaches and you can't shieldgrab him. Kirby has fairly bad approaches as it is.
OH MY GOD i now have idk how many post saying that your right
ARE you able to be wrong xD!?
my bets are on "no"

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
allright Goodluck man so we can finally have some video proof of this matchup (there must already be something somewhere somehow but we r just to lazy :D)
Thanks.

The only videos I have are semi-old WIFI ones T_T

vs. Swordgard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoY9OiX6l84
^ epic lols are had in this, he gets screwed over so hard by Nana being stupid, or lag, or something.

Two matches vs. Bunny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epl6hhYyIsU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I-UHlQkCLw

Again, old, and wifi.

Friday shall be new, and offline, AND against Lain. :D

I'm glad someone thinks so :O

I wouldn't say it's easier for us to separate than it is for them to grab, but I DO think they're overestimating how easy it is to grab Kirby.

I'm leaning towards 55-45 IC really, Kirby is a ***** in the air and his ground game is on par with us IMO and I agree with Asdioh, we make like ******** match up ratios sometimes :3

As well, LAIN YOU BETTER WIN THIS <3 Make sure he doesn't counterpick Frigate Orpheon xD
Lain, please ban Frigate Orpheon. Please <3

Just don't change characters if I make my counterpick XD

Well, the thing is, on paper, yes his approaches will basically get shieldgrabbed all the time. But, Kirby has 5 jumps, and stuff. It's pretty easy to punish when someone whiffs a grab or attack, thinking you're going to hit them with an aerial, when you're actually just doing a fakeout.

And one approach you can't shieldgrab: Inhale

^________^

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
No, I can't shieldgrab it, but I can Blizzard Grab to a 0-Death. Never knew Inhale was an approach.

*groan* I really hate this matchup discussion. Let's just get it over and done with.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Maybe because Jiggs does better since she has an insane aerial mobility and acceleration while Kirby does not.

EDIT: Oops i replied without thinking where i was reading at

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Hmm. I thought we discussed Donkey Kong already. I also remember saying it was either 7-3 or 6-4. Though now I'm more inclined to say that's it's 6-4 or closer either way. A few of us also have been saying that we've been having trouble with this matchup too, and we haven't discussed it in a while.

As for Kirby I should have that up later today.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
So that's why Lain is so sexy and gay when he CGs people :3

That explains EVERYTHING

Yes we are a joke and we dont take anything personal or serious and as far as i know there arent many arguements on the ice climber boards that just explains how relaxed we are :)
look we just wasted 2 pages of random BS and we have fun doing so isnt that what its all about? FUN some people forget that and we just like being this way just randomly starting to talk about matchups and when thats done we just throw random stuff at each other untill the next one pops up :D
why? you ask well i'll explain it to you
We are that awesome and capable of doing so

Thats why :D

(at least thats what i think happens here lol)

meepxzero

Smash Master
mayb cuz ice climber players know we can win every match up :laugh:

Jigglypuff is hard just because we dont have any reliable cg against her whereas one grab on kirby hes dead. Dk is laughable the only way dk would win if the ice climber doesnt land a single grab on him which is silly because he has so many laggy moves.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Everyone says DK ***** icies but not if you just play right just space him a bit with ice block and use squal hammer but not landing near him blizzards are always fun Grab when he has landing lag or whatever and you should do fine just dont go all agressive on him thats not gonna work IMO DK will win that but its just a matter of time someone proves me wrong about that:p

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I saw the areguement on the Kirby boards, and Vulcan Jab can kind of work, but it's generally not worth it. Sure it's faster than any of our moves, and it hits enough to split us up, but it is possible to shield grab Kirby before the fury of hit come. If they try to use it as a wall, it's possible to running Powershield-Grab it. If we get caught in it, we can DI out and possibly punish. Circle DI or Smash DI can land us behind Kirby, where his jab doesn't cover him well at all.

Kirby's Tilts all come out quickly. F-Tilt lacks range and isn't safe on the shield. D-Tilt has deceptive range and has a high chance of tripping, and has Inturruped as Soon as Frames. Up-Tilt comes out on frame 4 on the ground. It has good priority and works as a good juggling move at low percents, or a setup move at higher percents.

Kirby's feet are disjointed, so he sends his opponents at different trajectories if he connects with his toes with some attacks. Kirby's F-Smash one of his most reliable kill moves. It has decent speed and a lot of knockback when sweetspoted. The end of the hitbox sends the opponent upwards. Up-Smash has decent knockback and has a weak hitbox behind it. Down-Smash sends opponents outward at the tip, and Upward from closer in. It's his quickest smash.

Dash Attack can be annoying to deal with sometimes. It hits 6 times, with the last hit popping you into the air. It can be DI out of, and is punishable if it misses or if all the hits are blocked.

Kirby will be playing this matchup in the air most of the time though. His aerials generally lack range. His N-Air autocancel's well, and can be used as a get off me move. F-Air is a multi-hit move that isn't used that much from what I've seen. It doesn't have the range or knockback that B-Air has. Up-Air is a good juggling move that has good reach above him. His D-Air can be used on the stage to split the Climbers up. It's a multi-hit move, that has a ground hitbox upon landing.

B-Air is the aerial you'll see the most. It has the most range and it's fast. It also has good knockback, with KO potential when fresh at high percents. This attack stays out for a long time and can be difficult to punish when perfectly spaced, due to it's low end lag.

His Neutral-B (Swallow) has many uses. He can copy an opponent's B move. In this case our Ice Block, which won't lead to much. He can swallow one Climber and spit them back out into the other one to deal damage to them. At the edge, he can swallow one and shoot them under the stage or Swallowcide. Side-B has huge knockback and is used more in the air. Kirby's Up-B (Final Cutter) can hit up to 3 times up close and the Shockwave can cut through Blizzard. Stone makes Kirby invunrable to attacks for a short time. This move has enough power to KO at high percents. It has a hitbox to the sides when used on the ground.

If Kirby tries to grab us, they will most likely Up-Throw. Up-Throw is nearly instant and can be harder to punish if there is a platform above. You can hit Kirby while he's landing.

Kirby can edgeguard us eaisly. His B-Air also serves as a Wall of Pain. Kirby can D-Air to Footstool if you try to recover from below.

Kirby doesn't have much of an approach, and Blizzard beats out anything up close except Final Cutter and Stone. His ground game becomes limited and they will mainly try to space us with B-Air's with a few other attacks mixed in.

I think it's 60-40 in our favor, but they can counterpick us pretty easily. They beat us on stages like Rainbow Cruise, Norfair, and Brinstar, but we beat them on most neutrals.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
mayb im just awful at cging her i dont know the timing period :dizzy:
If you want to backthrow Jiggs, you have to press grab almost at the same time you throw back.

If anything forward Throws have the same timing on every character.

As for Ike beating Ice Climbers, he outranges us up close and kills us early.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
i think its 55:45 our favor. The wall of blizz pretty much stops kirby from approaching right on. They would have to approach from the air but we can just u-air them. Uair has good priority over kirby i think. And also because kirby is Very easy to CG. Kirby can seperate the IC pretty easily and wall of Bair Nana. So instant gimp if played correctly. IC though have to watch out the wall of Bair and his Disjointed Dash attack. ugh
and also kirby can gimp nana Very easily if he wanted to. Kirby Dair also gives him a slight advantage but has to be lagless and the dair to Fsmash works every now and then.
55:45 to me

gantrain05

Smash Master
mayb cuz ice climber players know we can win every match up :laugh:

Jigglypuff is hard just because we dont have any reliable cg against her whereas one grab on kirby hes dead. Dk is laughable the only way dk would win if the ice climber doesnt land a single grab on him which is silly because he has so many laggy moves.
i think you should revisit the DK matchup, DK may be big, but he's not really slow and a good DK doesn't just throw out moves that are going to be punished, your blizzard isn't very effective in keeping DK out in this matchup because of DK's DownB, that will either knock the ic's in the air or force them to jump/run away, either way its not a bad situation for DK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom