• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darkNES386

Smash Lord
All hail Malcolm, the holy one who managed to take a game off M2K with the mighty Steak.

T'was a shame we wasn't using Steak at full pwoer though, or M2K wouldn't be alive to this day.

I also kind of agree with Malcolm on the point... maybe 6:4 but whatever.

Seems to me like MK is settled.

What's next?

Yoshi
I will say this... of all the lower tier characters... since Sonic's spring pretty much saves him from almost everything that all other low tier characters suffer from... he eliminates a lot of MK's regular kill move options.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I agree with malcolm on the meta matchup. it becomes even when you realize and understand that sonics spring gets him out of situations and that he actually can punish meta's aerials on the lag and rearly gets hit by dsmash if hes baiting it. that conversation with malcolm helped me understand the matchup and I'm not so hateful of him liek i used to. still have plenty of hate left though... that's a problem. and i still have the ban metakight poster...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Last night I ASC'd through shuttle loop :laugh:
Lols, so long as you hold forward, ASC should do fine against shuttle loop :p. Same with glide attack.

Yay, more converts to the Sonic goes virtually even with MK side! BUAHAHAHA.

Lol if we start talking about that outside the boards. It'll be worse than our arguments about Sonic not being low tier.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Pardon the off-topic.

So I got caught by Reflex's signature:
Reflex was beating up M2K and macking on his sister, so M2K offered him a spot on his team to get him to relent. Reflex straight stone cold declined, "Heeeells to the no my friend, you sister is fiiiiiiiine."

Reflex then invited the dance move "Wavedash Stutterstep" and flew away in his jet made of falcos.

lol'd for a bit, then I saw the following conversation.

you can't jab or tilt someone who's consistently across the screen from you, and nothing beats sonic's b moves, the most you can do is clank with it. a well aimed grenade beats sonic's b moves, but that's circumvented by just rolling along the ground

and you can't blow up someone who spends most of his time either moving very fast or springing in the air in the air

the main weakness in that playstyle at least against snake is the fact that he always always rolls after doing d-air.

i switched to rob and did better, but it was just a huge campfest that ended with time running out
Sonic's Spin Charge and Spin Dash have terrible priority, almost everything clangs with or overrides it completely. Sonic also has a stupid jab, so stupid you can interrupt it with your own jabs unless Sonic is right in your mouth when he uses it, in which case you may only have time to shield it.

Planting grenades everywhere along with mines and C4 is hard for Sonic to face.

Good Sonic's may always roll after a Dair, but great Sonic memorize when the move auto cancels and laughs at you for trying to punish a roll while punishing you instead.

The difference between beating Sonic and Losing to him is simply knowing the matchup. The more you fight him the more you get used to him, other than that Sonic has become one of the characters that will **** you the hardest for not knowing how he works.

So, here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZQrlkAMzKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuTXs...eature=related
if that sonic would have used more b moves he would have almost never gotten hit by any of snakes moves

everytime he used forward b he instantly gained momentum. and when he started doing stuff like dash grabbing and and aerials he started getting blowed up
UpB is just a mindgame, and it's predictable. If Sonic Dairs too close to the ground, there's your chance to punish right there, learn how to punish it. If he Dairs higher up, it cancels and he's unpunishable, learn how high up that is. If he doesn't Dair, all the can do until he hits the ground is A attacks and dodge, this is your chance to set up your crap, or move in on him and punish Airdodge lag, since it's not that hard to out priority his regular attacks.
ROB does own Sonic better than Snake, but Snake v Sonic isn't some kind of 70-30 matchup like you make it sound like it is. Spring sure isn't a shuttle loop either lol. Sad thing is that I don't even know who this Sonic is, Boku? What's his SWF tag? I've actually fought better Sonics than this guy, using him as much as I do helps a lot too.

theONEjanitor got it all wrong. He said that the Sonic player got blown up every time he tried to not spindash, and the first thing I saw was him spindashing into a grenade, lol. If he doesn't work his literal A-game, he's gonna be predictable and blown up ._.;

o_O;

seriously though...

O_o;

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
snake/sonic is 55-45. maybe 60-40. my work here is done.

edit: that sonic is horrible. dare i say worst sonic ever? i laughed at how he gets hit by everything lol really? yes, everything.

edit: ok maybe i was too harsh. but man.. i will never forget that...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
60:30?

Well seeing as how this thread was dead until Tenki bumped it, how about we move on to somebody else?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
LOL we don't want to kill this thread (again?) now Tenki. As much as I want to rediscuss Weegee, is it worth it? Can you be sure that we might get something out of a dead corpse (the Weegee boards)?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, I still think some of the discussion in the past was kind of iffy.

Like, sure, it might feel more neutral if you can keep Luigi to a grounded game, but seriously, they push for aerial games forever.

Things I'd want to address this time is DI and what moves are dangerously punishable.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i dont like getting into jab wars with the green plumber, so i try to keep him at tilts range. I think bair is a good spacing tool, but im not sure, i think its longer than most of his aerials. Against any aerial happy opponent i try to throw more Upsmashes than usual, and try to put it in when i think thry are thinking attack rather than lolairdodge. run fakes help set it up. i dont have any thing else though so anythoughts woudl be nice.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
against airial characters im starting to think that all of us should learn the airial style of sonic. which is basically to just bair and up smash as much as possible to the point where all ground moves stay completely fresh so that any of them will kill

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, for 1, he can do a U-tilted F-smash out of shield and catch you in SH F-air's dead time.

I don't know if it was absolutely legit or because I wasn't expecting it and didn't try to jump away, but that was really demoralizing.

>_________>

<_________<

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
F-air trough him, land behind him.
Also, FF your F-air when you're almost done. Saves you like 3 frames. Think of it as Falcons knee, can do exactly the same.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I was behind him when he F-smashed me.

It's like trying to punish MK's F-air when he mis-spaces. There's a window of time where you can just get an aerial or something in, and MK can't do ANYTHING about it.

Wait until the move ends, then shield drop and pull a punishment attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible to jump and nail a sweetspot shoryuken on this lol.

Either way, F-air on shielding Luigi is a no-go at high %'s.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well, for 1, he can do a U-tilted F-smash out of shield and catch you in SH F-air's dead time.

I don't know if it was absolutely legit or because I wasn't expecting it and didn't try to jump away, but that was really demoralizing.

>_________>

<_________<
Yeah, I visited the Luigi boards not too long ago and they were all obsessing over U-tilted Fsmash because it's faster than the regular Fsmash apparently

?_?

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Luigi is so frustrating

combos aren't supposed to exist in bawrl

but I get combo'd by luigi lol

I think it's the type of match where you just have to stay far away; bairs and ftilts, and watch out for his tornado which is used now and then just to mess with our spacing lol (but punishable by sonic's speed if he's not hitting us with it).

and luigi's so floaty, that you really can't follow up they way you might be used to with other characters

idk I need to learn the matchup better

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Bair works wonders as a spacing tool. Luigi's traction is horrible, sooo unless he powershields your bair, he;'s gona slide too far back. I'm also pretty sure it outranges all of his aerials with proper aerials.

Also, that janitor guy failed hard.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... Anybody else notice something new about this thread? >.>

Anyway Chis, keep up the good work.

I would go ahead and post my two cents, but I don't have the time as of now, and I'm pretty sure some other people feel very different about this than I do when I say it might be 55:45 Weegee's advantage at worst.

Plus, if we could actually get some professional Weegees in here this time around... maybe it won't be so bad.

If nobody does make a new post, I'll just efit this one when I have the time.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I haven't figured out how to fight Luigi yet, but I'd guess it involves lots of spaced Bairs and Ftilts. Prolly Utilt as well if he tries to close in from the air. I always try to follow his recovery trying to gimp him or just be a nuisance, but it really doesn't work against Luigi; his recovery is dangerous and afaict pretty ungimpable. His hitboxes all seem to extend further than they appear, I think. I wonder if he could just hit us out of even our Bair or Ftilt (how far does our hurtbox extend on those?)

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Howdy Sonic Boards! Let's get this under way.

On the ground.
On the ground, there is not any advantage. They have similar moves. Luigi is slower and floaty, while Sonic is solid and fast. Luigi has more K.O moves here and there. Your homing attack in this matchup is not a good idea on the ground. The reason Luigi has the advantage is because:
1.) K.O opportunities
2.) Lighter combo's like a SHNair, and u-tilts, (juggling)
3.) Approaches with projectile, Sonic lacks a projectile, so a fireball setup works.

I'd say for Sonic advice on the ground: Be aggressive, because quick jab> grab> dthrow> aerial will go a long way for you. When approaching, make your move as quick as possible when Luigi is even slightly vulnerable. That's why you want to say close but not too close. Luigi can Nair his way out of any closeness problem. Again, I think don't go with homing attack in this match up because Luigi has his f-smash that will take you down quick if you miss or bounce off a powershield.
Luigi's u-smash should be used a lot in this match-up. Using an OOS u-smash after a powershielded f-smash or homing attack will get you killed. Take advantage of Luigi's sliding by anticipating when he starts to slide. If Luigi tries to u-tilt juggle you SHFair, you'll get him. It is harder to UpB Sonic because he is so much faster, Sonic would need to be too close and vulnerable. To avoid Luigi's constant SH approaches you need to spam u-tilts as a Sonic.
Ground 50-50

On the edge this game turns around. Sonic has a predictable recovery, but it is not in the same area ad other recoveries, it is higher up if you used UpB. Luigi would have to mix up his recoveries well, because if
Sonic were to sit and spam his f-tilt on the edge stopping green missiles and tornado recoveries, Sonic would win. Sonic can intercept Luigi for higher damaging, but Luigi can intercept Sonic for the K.O, Luigi has a bair SS and a dair spike, which are hard and situational, but if you are predictable a good Luigi will get you. Luigi's d-taunt works the same on everybody, if they don't think fast, and try to come for above, a well timed Luigi d-taunt will send you offstage, or in other cases bounce you off the ground spinning where you scream "UpB me!". A semi-common Luigi edge guard is to UpB right when you can touch them, but Sonic can attack after UpB and protect himself with fair. Luigi's recovery is hard to gimp, but not hard to see what comes next.
Edge: 55-45 Luigi. Reason: Combos

In the air. Luigi and Sonic are both aerial aces. Sonic has ridiculous priority with his fair, and that stops Luigi from aggressively applying aerial pressure. Luigi may have more combos to choose from in the air, but Sonic can rack up the damage just as fast. When I play Sonic I find myself falling back constantly and spamming bairs. I just played a second ago and noticed that I didn't use dair at all. Which isn't bad because it is too short range to work against Sonic. Luigi can assure a safe descent with fireballs and bairs that Sonic can't so in the air, you need to be close as well.
Aerial: 55-45 Luigi. Reason: Combos

Taunts:
Luigi's taunts can hurt you
Taunts: 100-0 Luigi: Reason, hurt

In the end, I think this match-up is very close. I think, they balance their weaknesses out with strengths.
Luigi has a slight upper hand. Luigi has a 61-39 Advantage overall.
Luigi can just rack up damage a little faster, and then KO for the win.

Sonic General Strat: Don't let Luigi mindgame you and change up the approaches. Anticipate where moves like UpB and tornado leave him vulnerable and protect yourself with tilts. In the air, bairs, and fair will help you win. Stick close to Luigi because you have no projectile game or aerial range. Homing attack is a no-no.

Luigi General Strat: Do what I told the Sonic's to avoid, but keep them on their toes.
If Luigi can combo Sonic into the air, that'll keep him honest and not try to pull off anything drastic like running in and spamming K.O moves.

I think that covers it

EDIT: I almost forgot the stages!

Luigi would pick a place that's simple aerial and has platforms. Sonic will get beat in BF and Lylat Cruise.
As Sonic I would pick Brinstar because it can go either way, and the blast zones are big and wide. I don't know if you guys like that course or not. Also you might want to do Delfino for the movement and maybe even pictochat. Pictochat gets in the way of some of Luigi's approaches.

Don't choose Corneria or Luigi will win.

Tenki

Smash Hero
dude,

there's alot of wrong/inapplicable there, and i'll WoT later.

two things for now:
Sonic's F-air "priority" is kind of not applicable in this matchup.
Noone really uses homing attack, lol. Wanna talk about punishing it? Sure, let's talk about punishing Luigi's D-taunt approach.

>__>

Tero.

Smash Champion
Howdy Sonic Boards! Let's get this under way.

On the ground.
On the ground, there is not any advantage. They have similar moves. Luigi is slower and floaty, while Sonic is solid and fast. Luigi has more K.O moves here and there. Your homing attack in this matchup is not a good idea on the ground. The reason Luigi has the advantage is because:
1.) K.O opportunities
2.) Lighter combo's like a SHNair, and u-tilts, (juggling)
3.) Approaches with projectile, Sonic lacks a projectile, so a fireball setup works.

I'd say for Sonic advice on the ground: Be aggressive, because quick jab> grab> dthrow> aerial will go a long way for you. When approaching, make your move as quick as possible when Luigi is even slightly vulnerable. That's why you want to say close but not too close. Luigi can Nair his way out of any closeness problem. Again, I think don't go with homing attack in this match up because Luigi has his f-smash that will take you down quick if you miss or bounce off a powershield.
Luigi's u-smash should be used a lot in this match-up. Using an OOS u-smash after a powershielded f-smash or homing attack will get you killed. Take advantage of Luigi's sliding by anticipating when he starts to slide. If Luigi tries to u-tilt juggle you SHFair, you'll get him. It is harder to UpB Sonic because he is so much faster, Sonic would need to be too close and vulnerable. To avoid Luigi's constant SH approaches you need to spam u-tilts as a Sonic.
Ground 50-50

On the edge this game turns around. Sonic has a predictable recovery, but it is not in the same area ad other recoveries, it is higher up if you used UpB. Luigi would have to mix up his recoveries well, because if
Sonic were to sit and spam his f-tilt on the edge stopping green missiles and tornado recoveries, Sonic would win. Sonic can intercept Luigi for higher damaging, but Luigi can intercept Sonic for the K.O, Luigi has a bair SS and a dair spike, which are hard and situational, but if you are predictable a good Luigi will get you. Luigi's d-taunt works the same on everybody, if they don't think fast, and try to come for above, a well timed Luigi d-taunt will send you offstage, or in other cases bounce you off the ground spinning where you scream "UpB me!". A semi-common Luigi edge guard is to UpB right when you can touch them, but Sonic can attack after UpB and protect himself with fair. Luigi's recovery is hard to gimp, but not hard to see what comes next.
Edge: 55-45 Luigi. Reason: Combos

In the air. Luigi and Sonic are both aerial aces. Sonic has ridiculous priority with his fair, and that stops Luigi from aggressively applying aerial pressure. Luigi may have more combos to choose from in the air, but Sonic can rack up the damage just as fast. When I play Sonic I find myself falling back constantly and spamming bairs. I just played a second ago and noticed that I didn't use dair at all. Which isn't bad because it is too short range to work against Sonic. Luigi can assure a safe descent with fireballs and bairs that Sonic can't so in the air, you need to be close as well.
Aerial: 55-45 Luigi. Reason: Combos

Taunts:
Luigi's taunts can hurt you
Taunts: 100-0 Luigi: Reason, hurt

In the end, I think this match-up is very close. I think, they balance their weaknesses out with strengths.
Luigi has a slight upper hand. Luigi has a 61-39 Advantage overall.
Luigi can just rack up damage a little faster, and then KO for the win.

Sonic General Strat: Don't let Luigi mindgame you and change up the approaches. Anticipate where moves like UpB and tornado leave him vulnerable and protect yourself with tilts. In the air, bairs, and fair will help you win. Stick close to Luigi because you have no projectile game or aerial range. Homing attack is a no-no.

Luigi General Strat: Do what I told the Sonic's to avoid, but keep them on their toes.
If Luigi can combo Sonic into the air, that'll keep him honest and not try to pull off anything drastic like running in and spamming K.O moves.

I think that covers it

EDIT: I almost forgot the stages!

Luigi would pick a place that's simple aerial and has platforms. Sonic will get beat in BF and Lylat Cruise.
As Sonic I would pick Brinstar because it can go either way, and the blast zones are big and wide. I don't know if you guys like that course or not. Also you might want to do Delfino for the movement and maybe even pictochat. Pictochat gets in the way of some of Luigi's approaches.

Don't choose Corneria or Luigi will win.
I'm not in the mood to write much, but srsly wtf
You're talking about Sonics bad recovery, Luigi edgeguarding with taunt, Sonic using homing attack, Sonics spamming ftilts as edgeguard and more weird stuff

You obv don't know much about Sonic gameplay

:005:

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
i dont like getting into jab wars with the green plumber, so i try to keep him at tilts range. I think bair is a good spacing tool, but im not sure, i think its longer than most of his aerials. Against any aerial happy opponent i try to throw more Upsmashes than usual, and try to put it in when i think thry are thinking attack rather than lolairdodge. run fakes help set it up. i dont have any thing else though so anythoughts woudl be nice.
Jab wars are sooooo fun XD. Luigi is where he shines in jab range. If your within his jab range, you need a quick GTFO OR JABUPB will happen. But anyways, once he jabs (comes out frame 2), he can do anything out of a jab. IIRC, luigi's Bair outranges him (that's from my perspective.) could possibly trade off. Either way, even if you try to space your attacks in the air, you'll eat a pivot grab son.

Yeah, I visited the Luigi boards not too long ago and they were all obsessing over U-tilted Fsmash because it's faster than the regular Fsmash apparently

?_?

:093:
It was probably either before the summer or near start of the summer. Yeaaaa our boards stink alot when it comes to inactivity espically matchup threads ^.^ Most boards leave us last in matchups anyways lawl

Luigi is so frustrating

combos aren't supposed to exist in bawrl

but I get combo'd by luigi lol

I think it's the type of match where you just have to stay far away; bairs and ftilts, and watch out for his tornado which is used now and then just to mess with our spacing lol (but punishable by sonic's speed if he's not hitting us with it).

and luigi's so floaty, that you really can't follow up they way you might be used to with other characters

idk I need to learn the matchup better
Ya well, sonic's speed isn't suppose to exist either. lol j/k. I need to learn the matchup too as well ( unbelieveably rare to find a good sonic >.>). Your pretty much gonna have to go ground game, force luigi to the air, juggle him like a beast. Luigi sucks bawls when hes getting jungled trapped.

Bair works wonders as a spacing tool. Luigi's traction is horrible, sooo unless he powershields your bair, he;'s gona slide too far back. I'm also pretty sure it outranges all of his aerials with proper aerials.

Also, that janitor guy failed hard.
Said before, if you try to space, eat a pivot grab. Luigi's traction has it's pros/cons. Like for instance he can increase range wise (i,e sliding dsmash covers mucho ground). Most luigi's will be powershielding (although powershielding is a natural habit but still always possible). Usually once luigi gets a powershield, he can pretty much do anything he wants since he lives off it such as OOS upb.

Hey. Weird question. Can Weegee guarantee a sweetspot UpB if he sheild our homing attack? His jumps ARE pretty high.....
No clue. Probably if it's a powershield and with precise timing that is... although i still find sonic in every sense to be annoying as ****...

lol wall of phail .
lol kig. your phail. just phail lol. I think you should let me and Atash do the matchups lmao. Don't try to input unless you have extensive experience espically against sonic boards (omfg 40k posts and you don't want the sonics to invade and raid our board, i've seen it happen :/)

dude,

there's alot of wrong/inapplicable there, and i'll WoT later.

two things for now:
Sonic's F-air "priority" is kind of not applicable in this matchup.
Noone really uses homing attack, lol. Wanna talk about punishing it? Sure, let's talk about punishing Luigi's D-taunt approach.

>__>
i lol'd at the dtaunt. Anything is possible XD. Hell, if sonic somewhat missed the sweetspot w/ his upb, he'll eat a taunt spike LMFAO.

I'm not in the mood to write much, but srsly wtf
You're talking about Sonics bad recovery, Luigi edgeguarding with taunt, Sonic using homing attack, Sonics spamming ftilts as edgeguard and more weird stuff

You obv don't know much about Sonic gameplay

:005:
Lol. I honestly don't know a sonic WHAT SO EVER. I don't really feel like discussing luigi vs sonic since both chars are rare to fight against at a top level basis, and to the fact that sonic boards can just murder us with everything, also i don't know a single lingo thing that they talk about (i.e HA = homing atk). And i dont know sonic at all srsly lol.

IMO i find it a 50-50 or 55:45 in either's favor unless with a CP.

Tenki

Smash Hero
[1]
Said before, if you try to space, eat a pivot grab. Luigi's traction has it's pros/cons. Like for instance he can increase range wise (i,e sliding dsmash covers mucho ground). Most luigi's will be powershielding (although powershielding is a natural habit but still always possible). Usually once luigi gets a powershield, he can pretty much do anything he wants since he lives off it such as OOS upb.

--------
[2]
i lol'd at the dtaunt. Anything is possible XD. Hell, if sonic somewhat missed the sweetspot w/ his upb, he'll eat a taunt spike LMFAO.

Lol. I honestly don't know a sonic WHAT SO EVER. I don't really feel like discussing luigi vs sonic since both chars are rare to fight against at a top level basis, and to the fact that sonic boards can just murder us with everything, also i don't know a single lingo thing that they talk about (i.e HA = homing atk). And i dont know sonic at all srsly lol.
[1] Well, I've never had to worry about a pivot grab from Luigi. You do mean retreating pivot grabs, right? Don't put too much emphasis on pshielding though. That's more of a player thing, since (AFAIK) everything aside from multi-rapid-hits are punishable as long as they're powershielded. I mean, we can say that we neutralize your airgame by powershielding and punishing your aerials from there, but that'd be unfair.

[2] lol and it's not just any Luigi D-taunt. It's an approaching D-taunt.

As for Sonic lingo, back when we were more active with making matchup exports to get more input from other sides, we had ending notes that gave a walkthrough of all the lingo.

Now, we have that stuff on the Sonic rFAQ (really frequently asked questions) thread.

4 - What do all those acronyms and letters mean!?

SD = Spin Dash (Hop) (Side-B)
SC = Spin Charge (Down-B)
ASC = Aerial Spin Charge (air Down-B)
SDR = Spin Dash Roll (the grounded rolling attack)
SDJ = Spin Dash Jump (jump attack that can be done out of a SDR)
FSJ = Footstool jump; gfsj is a grounded footstool (done on a grounded opponent)
IASA = Interruptible-as-soon-as (it's lame, and I didn't come up with it - basically frames where you can attack before the animation is over)
SDSC = Spin Dash shield cancel (hitting shield to cancel a side-B's charge)
DJ = Double jump
FT = Foxtrot
DD = Dashdance
DDP = Dashdance pivot
ONN = omnomnom frames (existence pending...)

==============
But you know, it's all too weird to memorize it all, so here's the system:
Prefixes:
A- - aerial
G- - grounded
i- - invincible/instant
V - Vertical

----
SD is spin dash. Usually refers to side-B, but if followed by other letters, can refer to moves.
SC is spin charge. Usually refers to down-B. Can also refer to shield cancel, but think it through and just use the one that works better in context.

suffixes:
-J - jump.
-R - roll.

==============

Examples:
SDR = Spindash Roll.
VSDJ = Vertical Spin Dash Jump.

See? It's not too bad =D

edit-------------

sonic with a 90-10

thanks <3

Honestly though, I think I can speak on the behalf of alot of people when I say that we could really care less about a matchup number. I'm more interested in learning how to play the matchup and what kind of things to watch out for instead of silly numbers.

Those numbers are for people who don't main our characters, so they know who to choose who/when to counterpick.
They just have to look at a counterpick chart and shallowly decide "oh, I should probably use this character against this one, since it's such a steep matchup" (ex, fox-pika, D3 vs DK, etc)

But since almost noone seconds Sonic or Luigi, we should probably discuss more on how the matchup is actually played.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol matchup numbers are dumb anyways. I agree with chic, only on behalf if the luigi has the crappiest experience and Sonic has godly experience tho =D. And ohlawdy that's a ****load of prefixs and lingo words I have to remember LMAO. It's even more gayier since I can never tell the difference between his downb and his sideb (in terms of apperance and such).

If anything, I'd go wifi against any sonic main (hit me up on a PM since I notice alot faster) so I can get a feel for the matchup. (just saying wifi is bawls, lagjohns are legit and just there for getting a feel for the matchup. just saying). ;D

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
It's even more gayier since I can never tell the difference between his downb and his sideb (in terms of apperance and such).
Down-B = Spin in place and repeadidly pressing the B button and holding down.
Side-B rolls you back a little and you can hold (and shield cancel) it.
When you are rolling, they both have the same appearances. And Side-B has a freaking hop.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I didn't want to say anything since I have minimal Weegee (*cough* more like none) experience, but I do know one thing.

Weegee's DA is trash, you always PS the last hit. Hell it's so garbage you can even SDI behind him and punish him via that way. I just wanted to make sure you all knew so that in case it gets used on you, you know how to counter it.

Everything else is/that is just pretty much Weegee specific, (and) apply what works to Sonic, there you go, you have the best Sonic/Weegee matchup discussion this year will probably ever see. It is rare to come across a good Sonic player, and even more rare to see any Weegee.

Weegee also gets juggled pretty bad, poor guy has MK's aerial top speed, and unless Weegee is PSing (there is a limit on how good a player can be before it becomes inhumanly perfect play where it just gets decided on who messes up, and that goes nowhere since even that is player dependent), he'll probably slide a good way so that things liek your Bairs are not punishable without said PSing. Just don't try anything else on him though or you eat an Up-B.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol. Luigis dont even dash attack at all. unless its for a edgeguard to push u offstage, or they accidently do it from random buffering. it's trash i know right lol. last hit is always a ps and can be dI'd like a pro lolz.

Tenki

Smash Hero
hit them out of tornado?

But you have to be careful, the max Luigi recovery, I believe, is..

side-B until near,
tornado + B-spam to fly high
(optional side-B)
doublejump + tornado B-spam.

Luigi's first aerial tornado can fly really high with correct B-spam. The second one normally doesn't, but I hear if you double jump + nado it can sort of fly up.

Top Bottom