• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napilopez

Smash Lord
you are slightly mistaken, Gshuttle loop completely eats and beats sonics and GaWs back airs, like, if you back air more than once in a row, or if your airials ever get predicted, you can eat a G shuttle loop and it goes through your attack as if its not there. I think you are underestimating the range of that attack.
also, you dont need to get hit with it more than 3 times if it kills you each time. Ive played matches where two of the 3 kills were MK just running up and shuttle looping through my attack.
Ahh, I do understand what you mean by using bair twice or prediction, but then again, I rarely try to take on MK flat out in the air. I usually short hop a single aerials, and try to get back on the ground as soon as possible. Gshuttle loop isnt as powerful if you aren't hitting at the beginning of the move though.

As for it killing, its still not a big deal IMO. No different from being killed by a Dsmash.

also, spring doesnt beat planking, all you have to do is either time your invincibilityso that the spring drops past you, or, fall off jump backwards and than jump back to the edge. and in the second case MK can throw out a f air to ensure his return to the ledge.
Have you actively tried it yourself though? I do it enough so that MKs almost never try to plank agaisnt me, because its just not really worth it. If you drop the spring immediately after running over the edge, or shorthopping, theres no way MK will be able to react quickly enough. And if he times himself, you can "countertime" by releasing the spring later. He shouldn't be able to jump away in time because of his slow airspeed. Lol, my friend planks against me all the time, and it only works on PS1. It might take a couple of tries, but its not as if you were seriously vulnerable when trying to spring bomb anyways. The point is sonic can stop it better than many characters, and he can deal with it enough so that its not worth it.

Trying to grab an MK off the ledge is incredibly risky and means that either your opponent is very bad, or that you are flat out miss cleo and reading his mind.
Lol definitely, I just meant that as an addendum really. Not that you should actively try to do it, but you should be aware of it. Its not as if you'll get the chance most of the time anyways, as MKs will be regrabbing the ledge in order to maintain the invincibility frames.

MK is one of the few characters than can actually gimp sonic. anything you do from under the stage, save for spring invincibility gets beat by down air, and if you try to come from above, MK can actually bait a spring and punish you from there. TBH i dont think you can spring shuttle loop purely on reaction and that theres a decent amount of prediction that goes on there. and MK can bait a spring just by getting into shuttle loop range under you, and either just falling, so that he is constantly in SL range, or jumping, giving you the impression that hes going up and forcing your hand...
Idk. I don't get gimped except when I'm trying to gimp MK myself lol. And the MKs I face gimp my other characters extremely easily. Uair beats MKs Dair if you are coming from below remember, and most of the time I'm able to position myself so I'm recovering using either invincy frames, or safe via Uair usage. Even though MKs Dair is quicker, the point is that you are Uairing in a position where you are totally safe anyways.

How exactly would MK punish spring usage? If he shuttle loops pregularly, then he will be too slow to get back on the stage. If he uses reverse shuttle loop, you should still have enough time to get back on stage before he can punish you.

And how does it help MK to drop down? Remember that springing moves you upwards as well. He won't be in shuttle loop range if he's moving down and you are moving up so quickly. And MK is really slow to rise vertically.

As for it being prediction or reaction, it really doens't matter. Point is that it works. If I'm close to MK, above him, even if he hasn't used shuttle loop, then I use spring. Whats MK going to do? If he tries to shuttle loop, he'll be outprioritized by spring. If he airdodges, then it gives me more time to get back on stage. If he does nothing, then he gets hit, and I have more time to get back on stage.

If I'm in shuttle loop range, but not so close to MK, then I will have enough time to spring on reaction. Even if its prediction, its much of the same as above.

Its just not worth it for MK, most of the time. He's much better off remaining on stage, and trying to punish your landing, which is hard enough to do, or racking up a tiny bit of damage.

I gimp MK as often as he gimps me, lol. Not that I am the epitome of Sonics, but I'm speaking of practical issues.

also, for the luls, next time i play im going to play MK and jump and make the wind gush sound to see if i could mindgame somebody into doing something stupid, if i ever play any of you sonics, im totally doing that.
Lolol, that would probably totally work against me. I'd still be safe recovering though.

not to mention that with all that air control, MK can stay off stage for rediculous amounts of time. he can glide all the way out to the blast zone, fall to the corner and still recover with his 4 jumps + SL/drill. most MKs dont drill to recover enough so they limit their gimp options but in actuality, MKs gimping ability is off the chart just because of his down air, and the fact that he can recover from anywhere.
This is true. Still not that effective against Sonic though, Imo.

lastly, we alreeady have a how to beat MK thread, you just have to dig it up and revive it
True, I know, but I would like to organize it myself too.

I would like to face you KID irl one day. It seems our disagreements about MK vs Sonic are mostly about what we think works and what we think doesn't. I do speak now purely from experience though. You're going to Mass Madness right? Imma try to go...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
We need a how to beat :marth: thread.
Sonic Vs. Marth= Powershield and Grab alot. Ftilt from Close range because its quick, but not as a spacing tool because it spaces perfectly for an Fsmash tipper lol. Dancing blade is a pain, but yea, shield and stuff. SideB cancelling is nice. Marth has more easily punishable moves than MK. He's alaso very vulnerable from below, so battlefield, Marths best stage, is actually GOOD for Sonic here, lol.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Dash-attack lots to punish stuff you can't otherwise....... and be very careful edgehogging/edgeguarding; Marths can be pretty good at just chillin' at the edge if they know what they're doing.

Dancing blade: you can sometimes shieldgrab between hits but it's risky. You can sometimes SDI out so try that if they're hitting you with the last phases. Do NOT roll, lol.

And cry a lot because Marth is good :(

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I think MK's do have a sort of advantage but we also have about the same amount of advantages as him.

1/ Sonic is best on the ground MK not so much...
2/ MK has quicker attack speed we do not....
3/ Sonic is heavier than MK...
4/ MK can recover better than sonic...
5/ sonic's shield is better than MK's...
6/ MK can protect himself better than we can...
7/ We can move around better than MK can...
8/ MK can override through attack more than sonic can...
9/ Sonic can recover better from a vertical climb better and faster than MK...
10/ Both characters take alot of studying and alot of time to master.

I know now that sonic isn't the best of chooses against an MK but he's certainly not the worst. Like Napilopez states MK's have a slight advantage over us but im sure Sonic isn't put anywhere less because of those advantages.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
craft you really need to stfu about MK already

god dammit your a stupid ****
He has NO advantages, stop trying to suggest that hes playable in the match up.
if you win, then the MK sucks

1. MK is way better than sonic is on the ground. Have you ever even played an MK?
2. you're not blind, thats good
3. It doesn't matter if hes lighter if can't hit him
4. Technically Sonic's recovery can last longer
5. wtf
6. no ****
7. LOL no we cant
8. your a genius
9. again, wtf
10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50S5pS0Frbs&feature=channel_page

ARGH SONIC BAORDS I HATE YOU

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We love you too Chains.

Anyway I suppose Malcolm is too beast, since he beat M2K once... lol.

But enoguh of that, I love how we're discussing "stuff."

We really need to put our heads together.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Memphis's number 10 is SUPER WYN
I second this post.

--

So...my ROB write up may take a little longer than I thought...been kinda busy, but I'll get it done. Pwomise.

:093:

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I think MK's do have a sort of advantage but we also have about the same amount of advantages as him.

1/ Sonic is best on the ground MK not so much...
2/ MK has quicker attack speed we do not....
3/ Sonic is heavier than MK...
4/ MK can recover better than sonic...
5/ sonic's shield is better than MK's...
6/ MK can protect himself better than we can...
7/ We can move around better than MK can...
8/ MK can override through attack more than sonic can...
9/ Sonic can recover better from a vertical climb better and faster than MK...
10/ Both characters take alot of studying and alot of time to master.

I know now that sonic isn't the best of chooses against an MK but he's certainly not the worst. Like Napilopez states MK's have a slight advantage over us but im sure Sonic isn't put anywhere less because of those advantages.
#s 5 and 10 are a negative. actually i dont get 5. explain. and 7 is kinda a more detailed version of 1.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
#s 5 and 10 are a negative. actually i dont get 5. explain. and 7 is kinda a more detailed version of 1.
Metaknights shield is horrible. Not the biggest factor in a matchup exactly, but its really easy to shieldpoke. Trufax. Sonic's shield on the other hand, is pretty darn good. I think it might be because MKS hurtbox is larger than it appears. Maybe his wings have a hurtbox or something.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Well for #5 sonic shield lasts longer because of his size and how the shield are bigger for how ever big the character is. Also you Napilopez said that MK's shield is easy to break with sonic. Also for #10 Both MK and sonic are hard to learn to use because with sonic you have to learn to stutter step and spin shot and momentum cancel and instant edge hog and foxtrot along with reverse fairs. With MK you have to learn to utilize his fast attacks and creating less spots for MK to become laggy. And about 7 well we can move around better than MK so yeah its more of a detailed version of 1 being in that Sonic can use his SD or SC to move about the stage with ease and run circles around MK's. # 9 Sonic has better vertical recovery than MK because of his up special MK's up special send him in a loop with slight vertical height gain. Compared to sonic's though sonic has more. #3 MK is lighter so if the chance that he gets hit while at a high % he most likely won't survive while sonic can live all the way up to almost 200%.

Sorry for the confusion kojin.

And thank you Napilopez for clearing that up for people better that i could. Nice to see someone around here who supports me.

Browny

Smash Hater
ugh KC you might wanna check up on some facts before posting all this stuff...

bigger characters DOES NOT mean better shield.

DK has possibly the worst shield in the game, while Kirbys is next to impossible to poke. However that doesnt mean smaller = better shield, its not exactly simple to define what makes certain characters have better shields (besides simply having a better shield). From my experience, i will say that Sonics shield is better than MKs since i do manage to shield poke MK very often with usmash.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Well for #5 sonic shield lasts longer because of his size and how the shield are bigger for how ever big the character is.
False, bigger does not mean better. Dk has a big shield but it sucks.
All shields degrade at the same rate.A10000011a5d91

FAlso you Napilopez said that MK's shield is easy to break with sonic.[/quote] not breaks, to shield POKE.
Also for #10 Both MK and sonic are hard to learn to use because with sonic you have to learn to stutter step and spin shot and momentum cancel and instant edge hog and foxtrot along with reverse fairs. With MK you have to learn to utilize his fast attacks and creating less spots for MK to become laggy.
No no no.
He has two 5 frame kill moves. TWO. one of which has a nice horizontal angle.
oh and he has his dair which is 3 frames.
he also has massive range and incredible speed and unless you are stupid, no laggy attacks.
He is far from hard to learn,I used him once and ***** my opponents with him.

Hard? no
Let alone difficulty in learning is NOT a factor period.
And about 7 well we can move around better than MK so yeah its more of a detailed version of 1 being in that Sonic can use his SD or SC to move about the stage with ease and run circles around MK's.
MK has a better ground game. All we have is speed.
# 9 Sonic has better vertical recovery than MK because of his up special MK's up special send him in a loop with slight vertical height gain.
lrn2swtspt
Compared to sonic's though sonic has more.
Except MK also has 5 jumps AND a glide.

#3 MK is lighter so if the chance that he gets hit while at a high % he most likely won't survive while sonic can live all the way up to almost 200%.
Uair~jump makes hm live for a much longer time.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
im not saying bigger character is a bigger and better shield just one that is bigger and sonic having such low attack damage has a better shield that MK. And SL thank you for your knowledge im sorry if what i posted isn't accurate and if anyone else has anything i missed please feel free to post it.I'm just trying to help all of us out by doing all this.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
craft, just shut up if your not 100% on the topic

idiot, give it up and post on things you know, not things you like to think you know
your new, and you'll learn in time.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i know that sonic can live a long time if played right i just forgot who i was brawling who used MK that was good when i did it so don't get all angry at me.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Was this MK offline?

just saying, cause like, MK's don't tend to space too well online.

and they get hit by things ranging from footstools to spindashes, lol.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
No it wasn't online i was over my friends house and he had company over the kid said he had an SWF tag but i forgot what it was. Sorry memphis if i can last long against MK's. Also sonic is better on the ground that MK due to his speed not saying MK isn't the worse on the ground just not saying he's the best.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
i'm sorry you waste your time playing terrible people

and im also sorry you have a tough time getting it through your head that you have very little knowledge of the game.
its no big deal dude, just get over it.

if you read a lot, listen to people who know what they are talking about, and only post when you know what your talking about, also maybe stop being annoying you'll be fine and earn respect.

until then your a blabbing idiot scrub who has no idea whats going on

EDIT - sorry chis, that was my last post. i should stop wastin my own time

lol at terios

Tenki

Smash Hero
MK's running speed is at the LEAST, around/faster than Sonic's max airspeed, correct me if I'm wrong.

Just wondering, is the MK you're talking about aggressive or campy?

by campy, I mean he uses Tornado out of shield/to punish when you miss, likes using multiple jumps low to the ground to bait you if you try to grab his landing, probably with a D-air, attacks mostly after you attack, uses D-tilt to bait you to attack and then punishes accordingly -

...or does he play aggressive and approach often?

I once played against a rather campy MK on wifi (yeah, on wifi, screw me, lol), and IMHO it's alot tougher than fighting an aggressive MK because aggro MK's give you possible counterable openings while campy MK's use their attack speed to counter your approaches. Things like running in and punishing D-air becomes alot harder against a campy MK because they're usually done retreating, meaning you will need to run longer to get into attack range (F-air has short forward range, B-air has too long of a startup, etc)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Fun? in the Sonic boards?

I sense some infractions coming then.....

lol, this is too good.

Anyone notice Chis's constant thread title update?

And who's the douche that gave it a 4 star rating, whereas the other stickies have 5?

lmao

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
from the start of brawl, ive wanted to play metaknight and sonic. I took me to the fall of last year, ( i think that's when i made the kojin lab thread) to have a decent sonic. Look at my vid "Shatter the grounds" that is what it was. It took me till about January ("What you Need" and "Mach Speed Generation") to have a "tournament competative Sonic" And I didn't consider that until good tourney people said it.

My meta knight is basic, yet I consider it my second and it is still viable, despite the fact that i work on him 1/4 the time as Sonic. Maybe I'll show some vids of my metaknight soon to prove it, but, if you consider that most of my sonic training exposed my spacing flaws, and improved my mindgames, then shift that kind of foundation into brawl, you can figure that it i wouldn't need to, i guess...

If you are good in Brawl, you are automatically good at metaknight. kore wa shinjitsu da.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Well first off the MK i was brawling was sort of aggressive . and second i think personally MY sonic is good not great but good and decent enough to last a little while against the best ones. Last I've tried MK before and am pretty solid with him just the difference in style between the two characters throws me off when playing as MK i try to turn MK into sonic LOL and don't get very far.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol, this is too good.

Anyone notice Chis's constant thread title update?

And who's the douche that gave it a 4 star rating, whereas the other stickies have 5?

lmao

Most likely visitors to the Sonic boards.

alot of this needs updating/relooking.

also, Marth's D-tilt>Shieldbreaker is so **** on wifi, lmao.

Well first off the MK i was brawling was sort of aggressive .
Ah.

You have to be like, a super amazing player/have a good read on your opponent/your opponent has to suck under pressure
... in order to successfully play aggressively.

Otherwise, you mis-space, and you leave yourself open all the time, and you lose :/

BONUS!!!1

SonicX

Noone decent here thinks that MK is undefeatable.

I disagree with the mindset behind this thread, but whatever 9_9;
MK isn't undefeatable Tenki everyone has a weakness and why do you disagree with this thread? I did this to see with this data and links there is a way to defeat MK.

Isn't that what he just said?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
LOL

Good times...

Well CiTH, hopefully I can get around to doing that ROB write up soon so we can get some discussion going...

I'd also like to maybe take another look at the Link discussion. Lately, I've been considering that it might only be 55:45 Sonic. I'm not quite decided yet or not >_>

Top Bottom