• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Texas Tournaments - Centex2 - Doubles Swiss & Singles 2 Stock! - October 18th

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
When:
October 18th, 2008

Address:
1024 San Antonio Street Suite A
New Braunfels, TX 78130

Telephone: (830) 643-0440

Fees:
Venue Fee (per person): $5
Doubles Tournament Entry Fee (per person): $10
Singles Tournament Entry Fee: $5

Schedule:
Registration begins at 12:00 noon. The tournament will start around 2:00pm.

Singles Rules:

* The same as below with two exceptions

* 2 stock

* 5 minute timer

Doubles Rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stage List:
Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter

Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Hanenbow

Banned
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Surprise!:
Now introducing...
The Smash Swiss System (The Smiss System???)

Ok dudes, we are trying out a system for doubles that hasn't been used very much in the Smash community. In case you are not familiar with how Swiss works, here's how it goes:

First round, all players are either randomly seeded or seeded based off previous tournament results. All players will play their first set. If they win, they get one point. If they lose, they get 0 points. Next round, all players are "seeded" against other players of the same score. This continues for several rounds (most likely 6, depending on how many setups we have) and then the top players seed into a DE bracket. An EXAMPLE YOU SAY?! No problem good sir!

Let's say we've got player one, Lee the ultrasonic planet crusher, player two, Lee the nuclear powered war hammer, and player three... Jewballs. If the two Lees play each other first round and planet crusher wins, he will receive one point and war hammer will receive 0. Let's assume that Jewballs won his first round. That means that in the second round, Jewballs and planet crusher may play each other because they both have one point, but Jewballs will have to play some scrub because he only has 0 points.

Advantages to the Swiss system!:
-All teams get to play all Swiss rounds before the DE bracket (probably around 6, hopefully more!)
-As you progress through the Swiss rounds, you gradually end up playing players around your same skill level. Yes, you may not get the chance to play the legendary Lee the duke of package crushing. You will, however, be playing people who are capable of beating you, while avoiding players you can easily destroy or that might easily destroy you.
-It is a better determination of skill as almost all players will player all other players in their skill range (the more rounds the better, so bring set ups!)
-It is girthy

Disadvantages to the Swiss system:
-You don't get as many boners from beating up on noobs

After the Swiss rounds are done, the top teams will be seeded by score into a DE bracket for breath taking championship matches.

Sounds neat, yes?

Side tournaments:
People can run whatever side tournaments they wish (singles, low-tier, etc), but the more TVs we leave open the more friendlies. I don't really care, it's up to you guys.

Please bring a Wii + SSBB! We are using the Swiss format, and we need as MANY TVs as possible! The more setups the more rounds we'll do before the DE bracket, which means more games for everyone (yay)!

Have a VCR? Bring it along with some blank tapes! We will be recording matches and they will be uploaded to an extremely popular YouTube channel with over 2,000 subscribers!

The D-Pad has a decent selection of food, but if you go get something else just make sure to eat it at the tables! There is a Little Caesers within 30 seconds walking distance.

The D-Pad has a **** ton of vintage gaming stuff. Anything from Colecovision to a massive collection of NES games, they've got it. It is also a full LAN center with every game you could possibly imagine and a 3S arcade! So make sure you bring some extra monies!

If this doesn't get you motivated, nothing will:

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Oh... my... GOD. I thought the tournament was enough motivation, that is until I saw that pic. Now I really have to get off of work to go to this.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sweet.

Sethlon will hopefully make it :).

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I already have a tournament planned for October 11th.... it said so in the beginning of my thread for the Gamelot Monthly

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Didn't catch that. Oh well, if I could choose another date for the D-Pad I would. Unfortunately I can't!

So who wants to team with me on this one? I think I'm going to create a little system so that people can seek 2 v 2 partners.

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
Yo lee did it say 20 per person, or did it mean 20 per team and that was a typo?

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
Only 3 hours and 20 mins away! I can definitely make this.

But seriously, if Houston can rally the troops for a little car pooling action then I will make this. Hopefully the other leg of Sexy Legs can make it or I will be looking for a partner, Lee. : )

Btw, a low tier tourney would be a fun side event.

Btw again, in your explanation about the how the swiss system works, you put Jewballs in place of where war hammer should have been used. Might cause a bit of confusion.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
Date changed to the 18th to avoid schedule conflicts and allow people more time to prep.

Entry fee changed to $10! I'll be doing lots of local ads for this to pump up attendance ;)
Boo on the entry fee change. $20 was a bit steep. 15? There's no singles so you might as well add together the normal entry fee of $10 for singles and $5 for doubles. If not, let's get some crazy low tiers going at this thing.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
You crazy people! Ok, how about $13.99?

What do you guys think, $15 or $20?

Also, I hereby challenge anybody to a Ganon vs anything below high tier MM of any amount. And I'll do it ****ing naked too.

Stiltz, you're coming right? What about Roy?

Fogo and I are going. Be prepared to be wrecked, son! :p
How about a sexy MM? I bring the low tier nut slap ;)

Dojo

Smash Champion
Hm

San Antonio on the 20th (you should come to this :))
Hobo 11 on the 4th
OK in November. (still not confirmed)

I want to really bad. I'll have a talk with Santi.

EDIT:

15$
Good price mayne. :)
Also, if we do make this. I'll take you up on that MM.
Ganon/Falcon
Best of 5.
And I'm holding you to the naked statement.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice

Also, I hereby challenge anybody to a Ganon vs anything below high tier MM of any amount. And I'll do it ****ing naked too.

A previous post of mine.

Only 3 hours and 20 mins away! I can definitely make this.

But seriously, if Houston can rally the troops for a little car pooling action then I will make this. Hopefully the other leg of Sexy Legs can make it or I will be looking for a partner, Lee. : )
I vote $20, though I would have no problem with $15.

Olimar is mid tier right? : )

Please tell me there will be grease in our MM.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Hm

San Antonio on the 20th (you should come to this :))
Hobo 11 on the 4th
OK in November. (still not confirmed)

I want to really bad. I'll have a talk with Santi.

EDIT:

15$
Good price mayne. :)
Also, if we do make this. I'll take you up on that MM.
Ganon/Falcon
Best of 5.
And I'm holding you to the naked statement.
I'll def be at the Sept 20th tourney (unless I get pregnant or something).

Hobo 11 will be great, but I can tell you now M2K prob won't come because it's too late to get good flight deals.

If you guys have old vintage gaming junk, bring it with you. The D-Pad specializes and buys/sells/trades that kind of stuff. It'll justify the drive ;)

Also, we def need to do that MM. You saw how dirty my Ganon was ;)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

How about a sexy MM? I bring the low tier nut slap ;)
You must want to lose a lot of money...Ganon is trash.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
I support the $10 per person in each team. That will allow teams that don't have excellent synergy to practice their mettle with some of the best teams. In addition, there should be no reason why we as a community can't hold a singles or low tier...whatever **** around tournament.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
You must want to lose a lot of money...Ganon is trash.
Pssh, not only did I beast your Falco with Ganon (none of those "friendlies" excuses!), but I'll wreck anyone's non-top/high tier characters with the third worst character in the game. ;)

Daimonster: the reason I am leaning towards $15 is to give more players incentive to travel from further if they have a chance (Waco players, Valley players, etc). We'll see how things play out. It won't go above $15.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Pssh, not only did I beast your Falco with Ganon (none of those "friendlies" excuses!), but I'll wreck anyone's non-top/high tier characters with the third worst character in the game. ;)

Daimonster: the reason I am leaning towards $15 is to give more players incentive to travel from further if they have a chance (Waco players, Valley players, etc). We'll see how things play out. It won't go above $15.
LOL oh noes my poor Falco. I wasn't trying. Not only could I eaisly beat your Ganon with Falco, I could probably beat it with any character in this game lol.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Any character eh? :) I wonder just how confident you are about that!

How about a Ganon vs Random MM? Best 3 of 5. Ruleset from this tourney.

$100.
WOW that is easy money.

ACCEPTED.

$100 Ganon vs Random 3/5.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Lee harris, get the **** outta here. XD

Stop running around and acting like you're the **** in the SBR and trash talking good players.

I bet you won't put your money where your mouth is against me son.

I'll MM you 100 dollars, my D3 vs. ROB/G&W, your choice ;)

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Lee harris, i'm sick of your bull****, you're ****ing trash. Stop running around and acting like you're the **** in the SBR and acting like you know what the **** is going on in this community.

You suck at this game, and you won't put your money where your mouth is.

I'll MM you 100 dollars, my D3 vs. anything you got.
I was kind of bored reading this thread up until just five seconds ago. =)

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
haha, I see you're spicing it up fogo ;)

To prove just how awesome I am, I'll get naked except for my boxers and roll them up into a spartan outfit so that everyone can see and smell my nuts when I wail on you

I accept your girly MM. I don't even have to win the tourney to make $200. Awesome. ;)

Top Bottom