• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Notice...

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Yoster/Chozen are creating a competitive Yoshi guild with an indepth analysis against the top smashing opponents such as G-Reg, Azen, Chu, Chillin.. ect.

We both came to the conclusion quite recently that due to the large amount of "advanced" Yoshi tactics.. Yoshi is almost certainly the "Falco" of Brawl. There are quite afew interesting combos you can do if you are skilled enough with the "yoshi dash" and linking it to your first Jab-->ect.. there are also quite afew preset combos with Yoshi against almost every character in the game.. and as such the video we are currently compiling should be an amazing wealth of knowledge for many that do not take Yoshi as a serious character, and any further than a Bair-Spacing egg camper.

The rest of the community is on notice.. Yoshi is Mid/High Tier.

edit- greatest combo vid musick... EVER -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M65zI9LH-as

Chaco

Never Logs In
I see what you're your trying to do, and do you mean DT, when you say "Yoshi Dash" because I only know of two people who can do it well enough to even get by and that's me and SubMan.

bigman40

Smash Master
I think he means both the DR and/or the DT.

I admit the DR/DT add some crazy combo potential (if you can master it), but I haven't seen anything on you two that shows either (I know you haven't shown any vids for a while chosen, but I haven't seen the DR/DT in any of Yoster's vids). Idk where I'm going with that, but I don't understand what you're going to do with the video...

Chaco

Never Logs In
That's what I was thinking very few Yoshi mains actually use the DR in battle...I know I even don't much.

Kress

Smash Rookie
So, do we have to "sing somewhere" or it's just by invitation?
Anyways, it's great that something as that is gonna be made. Sadly, I don't go to tourneys (*Looks at my Location*), so I don't know if that information would be ussefull to me, but if I can help, great :p.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
If you want...

I might not be able to go to tourneys, but I can try to help online.
In that thought I kinda had an idea. Why not make a clan AND a Yoshi Training Dojo?
Not like the real dojo's where you go somewhere to play, but kinda make the clan so people can also learn from Yoshi masters. All you have to do is talk to the masters and ask for some fights to learn stuff. I know Im kinda dreaming here :lick: but that would sure be nice.

Note: Getting net on wii sometime this week, so from this weekend I will be online on brawl.

bigman40

Smash Master
That's what I was thinking very few Yoshi mains actually use the DR in battle...I know I even don't much.
To be honest, I think I'm the only Yoshi mainer that uses the DR as much as any others that can DR fairly well. At most, I've only seen maybe 1-4 DRs per match (varying on the player), while I do like (I don't really count how many I do) 15 or more.

Kress

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I think I'm the only Yoshi mainer that uses the DR as much as any others that can DR fairly well. At most, I've only seen maybe 1-4 DRs per match (varying on the player), while I do like (I don't really count how many I do) 15 or more.
.___. Tap jump Off - Tap Jump On, that is the question....

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Sorry to burst the happy bubble here, but Yoshi is definitely not high tier.
Yes, he has combos. The problem is, against certain commonly used characters, it's pretty difficult to actually get a hit in. Yoshi has two feasible approaches (bair and dash grabs), and if someone shuts down those approaches that are, inconveniently enough, both stopped by the same sort of forward attacks, Yoshi is pretty much screwed in that match.
The "Falco of Brawl" thing is pretty off, too. Whereas Falco actually is a great character in certain areas, Yoshi isn't the best at any one thing (except air speed, I guess). This would, in theory, make him a jack-of-all-trades, versatility-based character. Unfortunately, Yoshi fails to compensate in his more lacking areas, and as such, there are a lot of holes in his otherwise well-balanced gameplay.
I'm sure no one likes WoTs about how much Yoshi sucks, but I'm the pessimist here, right?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
.___. Tap jump Off - Tap Jump On, that is the question....
I should DR more often since I'm one of the few Yoshis that actually uses tap jump; and I can DR consistently (at least DRing in place... moving with DR is much harder...). I like to DR a few times after taking someone's stock just for laughs, though.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I personally use a regular controller setup.. and DR/DT by using TAP JUMP and then pressing x/a simultaneously-ish..

Also.. until you play my Yoshi.. you probably will underestimate the combo potential of Yoshi's tilt's/fallingUairs/x2 SH'd Ariels...

Yoshi is basically a counter for ALOT of larger toons in this game.. mainly ROB and he goes even w/ DDD.

For those Yoshi's out there that have extreme ******** tech skill with Yoshi's "advanced" techs.. attempt linking your Utilts-->JabGrabs.. and throwing eggs inbetween your wavedashing..

Another "tech" that i haven't seen a single Yoshi use.. EVER is the use of eggs in forcing your opponent to either

A- Take an egg to the face..

or

B- Force an airdodge, and due to the airstallage that UpB gives Yoshi now, you can muliple FF'd Uairs+eggs..

You technically can't 0-death any toons in the game.. yet... but you and certainly perform some guaranteed combos like the sh*t that Kirby does with his Fthrow.

Soon in coming my good sirs.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Sorry to burst the happy bubble here, but Yoshi is definitely not high tier.
Yes, he has combos. The problem is, against certain commonly used characters, it's pretty difficult to actually get a hit in. Yoshi has two feasible approaches (bair and dash grabs), and if someone shuts down those approaches that are, inconveniently enough, both stopped by the same sort of forward attacks, Yoshi is pretty much screwed in that match.
The "Falco of Brawl" thing is pretty off, too. Whereas Falco actually is a great character in certain areas, Yoshi isn't the best at any one thing (except air speed, I guess). This would, in theory, make him a jack-of-all-trades, versatility-based character. Unfortunately, Yoshi fails to compensate in his more lacking areas, and as such, there are a lot of holes in his otherwise well-balanced gameplay.
I'm sure no one likes WoTs about how much Yoshi sucks, but I'm the pessimist here, right?
You always seem so negative about our character Kiwi. I for one believe that Yoshi could make it to the ranks of a respectable position.

I don't think Yoshi's approaches are at all a problem against most characters. Marth really only has one feasible approach (Fair), yet he has no problem getting in with it. He also has Dair (Doesn't autocancel, but shield pokes the crap out of it), Nair (Works ok), and even a common Dash Attack. He can use his tilts also. In most cases he doesn't even need to approach anyways.

I don't think he means Falco because he's really really good but rather has tons of untapped potential that can possibly send him to the top. Also, what holes exactly are you talking about? He really only has two Major problems as of now. KO Problems, and crappy Shield. However even those are starting to get filled in rather nicely. Grab Release Combos on half the roster makes killing those characters a piece of cake who would have otherwise been a massive chore to do *CoughWarioCough*. However it won't be long until someone finds easier universal setup's that completely mask's his KO'ing troubles. His Defencive game is improving alot and it really isn't that bad at all anymore. Pivot Grabs, Spotdodging, and even simply attacking back is really all he needs for a defence

I really want Yoshi to have the credit he deserves. He's not at all the 6th Worst, nor he should have been nowhere near that segment in the first place

Yoshi is basically a counter for ALOT of larger toons in this game.. mainly ROB and he goes even w/ DDD.
O_o Teach me how to deal with ROB, PLEASE!

bigman40

Smash Master
Very true Chozen. I think I only happened to do some guaranteed combos like once (my mind was going too fast for me to remember what all I did o.o;). I might start trying to use DR into tilt juggles or something soon, since I'm mainly using it for mindgames, or setting up killing moves.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Imo Yoshi's largest strength is the fact that his is impossible to gimp if you're not a ****tard.

Also.. the easiest way to kill your opponent ever... is Uair. If you can't land Uairs, then you should probably switch mains, or learn to Jab-->Dsmash-->Nair/Egg-->Uair.

And Yoshi's shield is incredible due to the fact that you can't be hit through the bottom or top due to shrinkage.

The biggest issue Yoshi has is a lack of range.. which is made up for with eggs.. and NeutralB.. but he still gets manhandled by G&W.. BADLY.

edit- BigMan.. i have man respect for you.. Yoster played you, and said you are amazing... and if Yoster has your respect, then you have mine aswell.

bigman40

Smash Master
...I played Yoster? I don't even remember the people I've played (unless they had a different name on other forums) O_O; but I thank you for the respect. Maybe someday we'll get to play each other.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
If there's a tourney in FL and you want to go.. [that is for a good amount of money].. let me know, and i'll swing by and pick you up on the way...

lol Yoshi and ROB boards have too much love ^_^

bigman40

Smash Master
I might take that offer some time. I might try to get to more FL tournies since my sis might help me get there. Thx for the offer ^_^

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
I would like to take a look in to the guild and video you're making.

Also IMO the Godzilla song from Initial D would be the best combo music for Yoshi (second would be Wings of Fire IMO).

It'll be a while before Yoshi is higher than mid tier and I believe that may only happen after we find the hidden potential Yoshi has.

EDIT: Wings of Fire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxBVfG3Jw0k

Couldn't find the Godzilla song. -_-

TheYoster

Smash Journeyman
**** Chozen stepping it up I see O_o.
Well here a tip that will help against fighting Azen. WATCH OUT FOR HIS FSMASH.

haha seriously if I want to go up against these guys and actually put up a good fight, I would have to study the match-up real well and think of tactics around their approach otherwise I'll just get out prioritize and combo.
I would love to use DR in my yoshi game play if I can actually get it down consistently ><, but I can only do it 25% of the time. GC controller just isn't working for me that why I plan on switching to a Classic controller.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
ɹỊɐ-ləq pəllɐɔ uʍoʇ ɐ ɟo əɔuỊɹd əɥʇ əɯɐɔəq I ʍoɥ noʎ lləʇ ll‚I
əɹəɥʇ ʇɥნỊɹ ʇỊs ʇsnỊ əʇnuỊɯ ɐ əʞɐʇ oʇ əʞỊl p‚I puɐ
uʍop əpỊsdn pəuɹnʇ ´pəddỊlɟ ʇoნ əɟỊl
ʎɯ ʍoɥ ʇnoqɐ llɐ ʎɹoʇs ɐ sỊ sỊɥʇ ʍoN

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OUTPLAYED

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
You always seem so negative about our character Kiwi. I for one believe that Yoshi could make it to the ranks of a respectable position.
It's not necessarily that I'm negative. I just don't want the Yoshi boards to become the Ness boards of Melee... in other words, I don't want us to blatantly disregard every fault in an effort to show how awesome our character is, but have nothing to back it up. I just want to be realistic, and get past the point of fanboyism to find the truth.

I don't think Yoshi's approaches are at all a problem against most characters. Marth really only has one feasible approach (Fair), yet he has no problem getting in with it. He also has Dair (Doesn't autocancel, but shield pokes the crap out of it), Nair (Works ok), and even a common Dash Attack. He can use his tilts also. In most cases he doesn't even need to approach anyways.
The difference is that Marth has almost unbeatable range and/or priority. (I say ALMOST because this isn't Melee.) His approaches can't really be beaten like Yoshi's can, and therefore aren't really an issue. More on this in about three seconds, once I respond to one of your later comments.

Also, what holes exactly are you talking about? He really only has two Major problems as of now. KO Problems, and crappy Shield.
I never thought the shield was that big of a problem, since grabs make for a much better defense. However, KO problems are still an issue for many characters, despite grab releases and all that good stuff. As for other weaknesses, I will lay it all out here.
- Yoshi is all about the aerial game. Unfortunately, his aerial range is extremely limited on most sides. In front of him, nair has about average range and fair isn't worth using unless you're spiking. Dair has awful range, and uair is once again average. If it's easy for opponents to outrange him, this is a very big problem considering that his combos are meant to be air-based.
- If Yoshi's grab is outranged, his ground options are nullified. This means he'll have to stick to the air, and if he's outranged on the ground then it's very likely the air won't be any different. He doesn't really have that many fall-back options, besides running away to throw eggs.
- Yoshi's recovery is ungimpable by conventional standards, but people are starting to learn how far the scond jump goes, and therefore they should be able to punish where it goes even if you airdodge. It shouldn't be an issue if you mix up your recovery, but once you get knocked off the stage after you lose the DJ, you're pretty much dead.
- Yoshi's problems KOing wouldn't be too big of an issue, but he's not fantastic at racking up damage, either. There's no one aspect of his game that stands out more than the rest. He's an average character, and he has enough weaknesses that he can't really be considered for anything higher.

I'd like to see your explanations on these, Pl0x.

Mmac

Smash Lord
It's not necessarily that I'm negative. I just don't want the Yoshi boards to become the Ness boards of Melee... in other words, I don't want us to blatantly disregard every fault in an effort to show how awesome our character is, but have nothing to back it up. I just want to be realistic, and get past the point of fanboyism to find the truth.
I've been doing nothing except backing up my claims. I don't just go around saying "YOSHI IS COOKIE TIER VECAUSE HES YOSHI AND SUPRE CUTE LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOOLL". If Yoshi was as bad as people say he was, then it would be clear as day, and I would agree.

The difference is that Marth has almost unbeatable range and/or priority. (I say ALMOST because this isn't Melee.) His approaches can't really be beaten like Yoshi's can, and therefore aren't really an issue. More on this in about three seconds, once I respond to one of your later comments.
Marth's can be beaten actually. His fair is good, but it doesn't have a long lasting hitbox and it has ending lag. A perfect shielded or wiffed Fair could mean trouble for him. Infact, Marth actually has quite a bit of Ending lag which characters can capitalize on.

- Yoshi is all about the aerial game. Unfortunately, his aerial range is extremely limited on most sides. In front of him, nair has about average range and fair isn't worth using unless you're spiking. Dair has awful range, and uair is once again average. If it's easy for opponents to outrange him, this is a very big problem considering that his combos are meant to be air-based.
I disagree in some parts. Front is true, but you are usually not going to be attacking from the front. A Rising Fair could actually be pretty effective. Uair is actually really good and beats out almost every single Dair or Fast Fall DownB. The only ones it doesn't beat is Link's, Toon Link's, Ike's, ROB's, Lucas's, and Kirby's Stone. I think there's a few more. Dair's range is not that great, but it has good priority, and can interrupt lots of attacks.

Not many people outrange him in the Air, and the ones that do usually have major problems in the air in the first place, or has lag that can be capitalized on

- If Yoshi's grab is outranged, his ground options are nullified. This means he'll have to stick to the air, and if he's outranged on the ground then it's very likely the air won't be any different. He doesn't really have that many fall-back options, besides running away to throw eggs.
Ike is the only one that can outrange Yoshi's Defencive Grabs, and only a few can outrange an offencive running grab with good speed (Lucario, Dedede, , Falco, Snake?), but Even those are just minor differences which Dash Grabs can still get in. This situation is not going to happen.

- Yoshi's recovery is ungimpable by conventional standards, but people are starting to learn how far the scond jump goes, and therefore they should be able to punish where it goes even if you airdodge. It shouldn't be an issue if you mix up your recovery, but once you get knocked off the stage after you lose the DJ, you're pretty much dead.
You're forgetting that Yoshi always has the upper hand when reading his opponent on how he's going to edgeguard, It doesn't really matter what the opponent does because Yoshi will usually be 2 Steps ahead on what he's going to do to prevent it. Only a few characters can gimp Yoshi well, and even they have problems. Not to mention most attacks send him upwards, and Yoshi can usually recover out of harms way.

- Yoshi's problems KOing wouldn't be too big of an issue, but he's not fantastic at racking up damage, either. There's no one aspect of his game that stands out more than the rest. He's an average character, and he has enough weaknesses that he can't really be considered for anything higher.
What? Yoshi is an excellent character for racking up damage. Better than most, especially if the opponent can be grab released into combos. He doesn't really have any weaknesses at all, and I keep saying this. He doesn't have anything outstanding (yet), but he doesn't fail in anything either. He doesn't have anything crippling, so why should he be placed upon the characters that do?

D

Deleted member

FYI, marth doesnt(shouldnt) approach with his fair much really. Its not a very good approach. Best one is just walk/run foward to foward b, which u gotta fox trot away from, unpunshable and damaging.

The more tournies i go to, the more i realize how good yoshi is. He can definately take every character in the game(except maybe G&W i tinkz, maybe i just fail at that matchup, but its pretty rediculous).

Mmac

Smash Lord
Game and Watch I feel isn't that hard to deal with if you are defencive, but he can still kill you REDICIOUSLY easy if you aren't careful..... or even if you are careful.

He's is the hardest of Yoshi's Matchup though.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
The difference is that Marth has almost unbeatable range and/or priority. (I say ALMOST because this isn't Melee.) His approaches can't really be beaten like Yoshi's can, and therefore aren't really an issue.
His approaches can ABSOLUTELY be beaten. He is just about 50/50 with Falco because of this very fact. Falco can keep his distance against Marth while Marth dominates on the inside.

- Yoshi is all about the aerial game.
Completely untrue. His pokes are also invaluable to him and can be vital for racking up the percentages against larger (or smash-happy) opponents. He also has his grab game and Egg Toss techniques. Aerial fighting is by NO means the be-all, end-all of Yoshi's game. Not even close.

- If Yoshi's grab is outranged, his ground options are nullified.
Neutral A and all of his tilts (especially down tilt) would like to have a strong word with you.

Most of the better Yoshis know how to throw Eggs to get back and save the second jump for emergency situations. And for the most part, most opponents don't seem to account for this. Yoshi's aerial speed is extraordinary, and there are just a ridiculous amount of directions he can come from when returning to the stage. I wouldn't rule out gimping COMPLETELY, but yes, it's EXTREMELY hard to do against a Yoshi with a brain.

Not only is this false, but it also contradicts what you said about Yoshi being all about his aerial game.

He's is the hardest of Yoshi's Matchup though.
Actually, I tend to see Yoshi struggle more with Lucario and Zelda. That said, Game & Watch is indeed a royal pain in the butt.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Marth's can be beaten actually. His fair is good, but it doesn't have a long lasting hitbox and it has ending lag. A perfect shielded or wiffed Fair could mean trouble for him. Infact, Marth actually has quite a bit of Ending lag which characters can capitalize on.
My point is that all of his approach options are safer than Yoshi's because they have more range/priority, not to mention the fact that if one of them doesn't work, he has something to fall back on.

Not many people outrange him in the Air, and the ones that do usually have major problems in the air in the first place, or has lag that can be capitalized on
It doesn't help that the ones that outrange or outprioritize him are usually characters that are used quite often, e.g. the Sacred Seven or whatever you want to call him.

Ike is the only one that can outrange Yoshi's Defencive Grabs, and only a few can outrange an offencive running grab with good speed (Lucario, Dedede, , Falco, Snake?), but Even those are just minor differences which Dash Grabs can still get in. This situation is not going to happen.
If spaced properly, pretty much every ranged grab, except maybe Lucas's, outranges Yoshi's tongue. If you're outgrabbed, then you can say bye-bye to your ground game.

You're forgetting that Yoshi always has the upper hand when reading his opponent on how he's going to edgeguard, It doesn't really matter what the opponent does because Yoshi will usually be 2 Steps ahead on what he's going to do to prevent it. Only a few characters can gimp Yoshi well, and even they have problems. Not to mention most attacks send him upwards, and Yoshi can usually recover out of harms way.
Let's say Kirby, for lack of a better example, is edgeguarding Yoshi. To play smart as that Kirby, I would stand right up on the edge of the stage as Yoshi recovers. If you go for the edge, Kirby will dair you. If you DJ, Kirby will fsmash and break it. If you DJAD, Kirby will usmash you. See what I mean? It just takes a second to realize what Yoshi is going to do while recovering, which is why the Yoshi player has to continually mix up their recovery in order to not be gimped.

What? Yoshi is an excellent character for racking up damage. Better than most, especially if the opponent can be grab released into combos. He doesn't really have any weaknesses at all, and I keep saying this. He doesn't have anything outstanding (yet), but he doesn't fail in anything either. He doesn't have anything crippling, so why should he be placed upon the characters that do?
Against most higher tiered characters, Yoshi has trouble landing a hit. As such, it's hard for him to actually rack up damage the way other lackluster killing characters like Diddy can. Sure, once you get a hit in it's smooth sailing, but until then it's an uphill battle.

Completely untrue. His pokes are also invaluable to him and can be vital for racking up the percentages against larger (or smash-happy) opponents. He also has his grab game and Egg Toss techniques. Aerial fighting is by NO means the be-all, end-all of Yoshi's game. Not even close.
I'm sorry, since when is bair not Yoshi's best move? Since when is it not his best approach option out of the few he has? Since when is his air speed not the best in the game? Since when do his ground attacks not lead to his aerials, therefore meaning he's spending more time in the air than other characters? If you're not using your Yoshi in the air, you're squandering what resources you actually have.

If the opponent spaces themselves properly, there's no reason that you would even get a hit in on the ground. If your grab is outranged, I'm pretty sure your other ground moves are outranged, too.

Most of the better Yoshis know how to throw Eggs to get back and save the second jump for emergency situations. And for the most part, most opponents don't seem to account for this.
Who have you been playing? If they don't know how to deal with Yoshi's recovery yet, you're not playing against the right people.
Also LoL at the better Yoshis thing, as if you think you're telling me something super-new. Lurk moar poast less, son.

Yoshi's aerial speed is extraordinary, and there are just a ridiculous amount of directions he can come from when returning to the stage. I wouldn't rule out gimping COMPLETELY, but yes, it's EXTREMELY hard to do against a Yoshi with a brain.
Ridiculous amount of directions?
- Straight toward the stage
- Below toward the stage
- Above toward the stage
Getting gimped happens. Deal with it. It's not a HUGE PROBLEM, but it will happen if you're not careful, and sometimes when you are. Just give people enough time to figure out how Yoshi's recovery works.

Not only is this false, but it also contradicts what you said about Yoshi being all about his aerial game.
Ehhhhwut?
His aerial game isn't superb in all areas. Do I need to spell this out? He has no GLARING advantages in any areas, and I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

D

Deleted member

Yoshis grabs>bair. Eggs too imo.

My yoshi definately isnt aerial, bair is too punishable, too many people have things that beat his aerial game.
Yoshis aerial game is probably a little worse than marths, which is ok cuz marths is pretty decent. Just think yoshi is best played with lots and lots of grabs.

Scala

Smash Ace

My yoshi definately isnt aerial, bair is too punishable, too many people have things that beat his aerial game.
Yoshis aerial game is probably a little worse than marths, which is ok cuz marths is pretty decent. Just think yoshi is best played with lots and lots of grabs.
I must say I probably do grab around 20 times a game

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
No wai! I'd definitely disagree with eggs, and grabs are better for when you're being approached, not for approaching. Because if you're approaching on the ground, everyone sees a grab coming.

By the way, I don't mean to come off as an ***hole, but it kinda pisses me off when I say something over and over and people don't get it.

D

Deleted member

I get what you are saying, i just dont think its completely true that yoshi is an aerial character. I prefer not to approach at all lol, but its depends completely on the character im approaching. Some times bairs, sometimes dairs, sometimes rising bair, sometimes grabs if you think you can.

I probably grab about 35 times a game haha =P

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
IMO.. Utilt/Uair [when you can connect it.. and i will show you how] > Ftilt [due to its spaced ability to hit opponents up and then follow up] > DDCPrivoted NeutralB > Egg > Grab > Nair > Dair > Bair.

The biggest issue with Bair is.. the complete and utter ability to predict it [b/c its f***ing easy to move out of the way or shield].. same goes for ALL of Yoshi's arials. That is why generally you need to work down your opponent's sheid before going in with a "perfect bear" [which you will soon learn of] get them, as their naked body pokes out [works best and easiest against Large toons] and start/complete a 90% combo..

Yoshi's goal should be always to keep his opponent on the Defensive while staying defensive himself. You can privotgrab.. throw eggs.. and also DJAD and bassically come back from anything.. our invincibility frames during our DJ/DR make Yoshi stupidly good...

Yoshi is a patient character like the IC's.. they wait for a grab.. you wait to start a combo and play smart.

Yoshi is extremely good at controling the arial motion and movement of his opponents with the use of Iframes, spaced arials, and eggs...

Predict the SS and gg. If you can't then play a toon you don't have to like ROB.. trust me... i do, and it's hella easier.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Yeah, yeah.....

You know, I gotta say this:
I don't know why people care about yoshi placement on these "tier lists", they just don't mean anything! Taking the simple comment out of a little movie: "Tiers R 4 QUEERS"
What I DO care is that clan the thread was all about: would be really nice to have all the yoshi masters working together to make yoshi be more respected and strike fear on tourneys.
The clan should really also work for teaching other yoshis to be better. And that not by telling them just what to do, but by fighting them, and letting them have their own impression on yoshi.

Well, thats my humble opinion as newbie on the forums.
(Approve it or curse it, I don't really care)

Mmac

Smash Lord
My point is that all of his approach options are safer than Yoshi's because they have more range/priority, not to mention the fact that if one of them doesn't work, he has something to fall back on.
And Yoshi doesn't? He has more than just Bair you know, and he can even open up approaches using a Shorthop low powered Egg to an Aerial.

It doesn't help that the ones that outrange or outprioritize him are usually characters that are used quite often, e.g. the Sacred Seven or whatever you want to call him.
Well lets take a look at them.

-MetaKnight: He slightly outranges Yoshi in some fields, while Yoshi slightly outranges in the other fields. It's pretty much as even as it can go.
-Snake: Has good range/priority, but all of them are either slow, or stiff as hell. Not to mention all of them have horrendous ending lag.
-Game&Watch: Yeah, he's a pain in all sides in general. There's a reason why he's so fricken hard!
-Dedede: Pretty much the same as Snake to an lesser extent. He still has the stiffness and ending lag problems, though not as severe
-Falco: Pretty much the same as MetaKnight. Falco outranges him in some fields, Yoshi outranges him in the other fields
-ROB: Super Pain, but his primary aerial attack, Nair, has lag you can punish when spaced well. Also Bair > Fair
-Marth: Also a pain, but also has some lag you can get in on. He pretty much has one shot per Aerial Battle that he needs to get right.

Except for Game & Watch, not one of them can really shut him down at all in Air to Air combat

If spaced properly, pretty much every ranged grab, except maybe Lucas's, outranges Yoshi's tongue. If you're outgrabbed, then you can say bye-bye to your ground game.
The only problem is that those characters have either horridness startup lag, not enough range, or has weird properties that doesn't really help beat out the grab (Olimar). The only person I could see as a problem is Link, but even he has horridness ending lag on his grab.

Let's say Kirby, for lack of a better example, is edgeguarding Yoshi. To play smart as that Kirby, I would stand right up on the edge of the stage as Yoshi recovers. If you go for the edge, Kirby will dair you. If you DJ, Kirby will fsmash and break it. If you DJAD, Kirby will usmash you. See what I mean? It just takes a second to realize what Yoshi is going to do while recovering, which is why the Yoshi player has to continually mix up their recovery in order to not be gimped.
You're trying to be logical, but you are forgetting that there's only a few moves in the game that send him at a low horizontal for Yoshi to end up in that position in the first place. Even from that position, your reasons of attacks are flawed.

Kirby's Dair has some startup time so you can't use it too late. Plus what if the Yoshi is good with Egg's and blocks your ledgeguarding attempt long enough to reach the ledge? Better yet, what if he counters your Dair with a Uair, knocking you away and just use his DJ to recover safely?

From the ledge and from his position, Yoshi will have enough distance to not only go above you, but breeze past your attempt as well, especially if you attack trying to intercept. You can't predict what a Yoshi is going to do unless he's being too obvious. You won't even have a second to react, it's even less than that. Most of the time, Yoshi will just get through, no matter what you do, no questions asked.

Against most higher tiered characters, Yoshi has trouble landing a hit. As such, it's hard for him to actually rack up damage the way other lackluster killing characters like Diddy can. Sure, once you get a hit in it's smooth sailing, but until then it's an uphill battle..
Well despite the fact that you shouldn't be approaching MetaKnight or Game&Watch in the first place, Large/Tall characters like Dedede, ROB, Snake, and Marth are reletively easy to shield poke and combo against. the only problem is Falco, but now we have a 0% kill on him so that's not really a problem anymore

Top Bottom