• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Notice...

Kress

Smash Rookie
I want to know something....

...is this the new weekly discussion? a Matchup discussion thread? or I'm I mistaken?

.__. This started as a "we'll make a yoshi guild" thread, now we're talking about yoshi's air game and matchups...

Mmac

Smash Lord
I want to know something....

...is this the new weekly discussion? a Matchup discussion thread? or I'm I mistaken?

.__. This started as a "we'll make a yoshi guild" thread, now we're talking about yoshi's air game and matchups...
Sorry, it just happens >_>

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Exactaly my point Kress.
We should stop asking if yoshi is the best to actaully making something to show people hes at least good.
Resuming the while thread:
LET'S MAKE A YOSHI GUILD!!!!
(Dreamer yes, but thats the point of this thread)

Kress

Smash Rookie
It's been my day today ;)!
IM GONNA TAKE OVER DA WOOOORLD! Or maybe just play some wifi matches, well, who really cares....
But my first question is still un-answered, is this by invitation or just by maining yoshi?

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
I think it should be by test Marik.
I mean, it shouldn't be anyone that should represent yoshi on a guild like that.
And we still should open space for people in potential, so I think testing people, recording the fight and analising if he should get in is the most wise approach. Of course all the "masters/teachers" should have a voting or something.
And cause the guild ain't made yet (I think) we should decide who the first masters should be.
And in the case someone alrady made this guild, please let me and Marik know: Obviously we want to participate!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'm sorry, since when is bair not Yoshi's best move?
Since using one single move became predictable.

Since when is it not his best approach option out of the few he has?
Since Egg Toss games, dash-grabbing, neutral air, and simply NOT approaching started to exist.

Since when do his ground attacks not lead to his aerials,
Not all of his ground attacks do. Actually, outside of his throws, smashes (except down), up tilt, and possibly forward tilt, I'm not sure which ground attacks you're referring to.

therefore meaning he's spending more time in the air than other characters?
Than SOME other characters, I'd certainly concede. Though that's not much of a statement to make.

If you're not using your Yoshi in the air, you're squandering what resources you actually have.
Correction: If you're ONLY using Yoshi in the air, you're arbitrarily limiting yourself and making yourself very predictable.

If the opponent spaces themselves properly, there's no reason that you would even get a hit in on the ground. If your grab is outranged, I'm pretty sure your other ground moves are outranged, too.
*Looks at down tilt* Umm... no.

Who have you been playing? If they don't know how to deal with Yoshi's recovery yet, you're not playing against the right people.
I'm saying that your options tend to outweigh theirs and that even high-class players think FAR too little of Yoshi's recovery. I'm not saying that you will never, ever get punished on the way back to the stage, I'm saying that it's extraordinarily hard to keep Yoshi off the stage.

And let's not get into anecdotal evidence, if you please.

Also LoL at the better Yoshis thing, as if you think you're telling me something super-new. Lurk moar poast less, son.
Oh, and let's avoid unnecessary insults/ancient fads when you clearly have nothing more valid to say, thanks.

Ridiculous amount of directions?
- Straight toward the stage
- Below toward the stage
- Above toward the stage
Okay, let's look at this for a second. Say I'm Yoshi and I'm recovering back to the stage. Now you're... say... Marth, and you want to make sure I don't get back. (If you want a different character in this example, be my guest). Now, we'll even give you the benefit of the doubt and say I'm recovering around the same level as the stage (presumably from a forward air at high percent), which is one of Yoshi's worst recovery positions.

Now, bearing in mind Marth's own air speed and air-to-air options, what do you intend to do to stop Yoshi from getting back. I already know that you'd want nothing more than to down air/footstool me, so of course I'm going to go high. Now, you're already going to either be chasing me out of the stage or waiting for me to return, so let's assume you're chasing. You've really got a handful of options at this point that COULD net a kill while still allowing you to recover - forward air, neutral air, back air, and a shallow Dolphin Blow. Now, tell me what you do to gimp me in this situation, WITHOUT giving me enough time to react to what your doing.

Getting gimped happens. Deal with it.
When you're done attacking my strawman over there, let me know so we can get back to the discussion at hand. I NEVER said that it's impossible to gimp Yoshi. NOT ONCE.

His aerial game isn't superb in all areas. Do I need to spell this out? He has no GLARING advantages in any areas, and I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.
You need to chill out there, hoss. You're getting all uptight here and there's no need for that. You said - and I quote:

- Yoshi is all about the aerial game.
Which I take to mean you believe this aspect to stand out about all of his other aspects. This directly contradicts what you said about none of his aspects standing out. Unless you're speaking generally, which you didn't indicate and wasn't implied. Don't blame me if you don't finish your own statements, please.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
And Yoshi doesn't? He has more than just Bair you know, and he can even open up approaches using a Shorthop low powered Egg to an Aerial.
As far as I know, eggs have enough ending lag when you're approaching that they aren't really that feasible.

Thoughts on the seven:
MetaKnight: He outranges you everywhere except for grabs.
Snake: Has good range/priority. Grabs actually outrange him on the ground but approaching him is a bit of an issue since mines and nades shut down your ground approach, and ftilt beats bair. He shouldn't be going aerial anyway.
Game&Watch: Egg lay ftw? :p
Dedede: Aerial priority sucks, since he can beat you in almost all directions. Fortunately, he's almost as punishable as Ike with his aerial attacks.
Falco: Horizontally, you're screwed because of his reflector. Vertically you're even, at least when he's grounded.
-ROB: Fair is murder. Uair is pretty bad. Everything else hurts, but is punishable.
-Marth: Outranges you, pretty much constantly. You can't really deny this one.

The only problem is that those characters have either horridness startup lag, not enough range, or has weird properties that doesn't really help beat out the grab (Olimar). The only person I could see as a problem is Link, but even he has horridness ending lag on his grab.
All other ranged grab characters can perform a pivot just as quickly as Yoshi can.

My point with the Kirby example is that, when people know your options, they learn how to stop them. Yoshi's biggest selling point right now (besides the whole MK thing) is that most people don't know how to play against him, and once they bother learning, we're all in for a world of hurt.

Again, sorry to be so pessimistic. I just don't want the whole "we're awesome and we don't have to justify it" vibe coming in here.

Kress

Smash Rookie
And when do we start talking about the GUILD? That's the reason why this topic was made on the first place :D! Or maybe I'm not as good at english and I've just messed up everything D:!
Anyways, for these discussions, there is a sticky thread called "weekly character discussion", As the elitists didn't say anything out of his AT game, you guys should consider posting there ;)!

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
This thread is funny shit. I though Ch0zen was toying with these Yoshi mains when I first started reading, but seemingly not o_0.
I will never understand this grabbing business. He's got a grab release on many characters, right? Good players avoid getting grabbed. What then? Yoshi's left to his slightly above average air game and sub-par ground game.
I don't understand all this commotion on Yoshi all of a sudden. Sure, he's better then 6th bottom like he's been put on that tier list, but I actually loled (because I thought OP was joking) when high tier was mentioned.
*injects anti-stupid virus into smashboards*
Soon enough Ice Climbers are going to be top tier because of their grabs right?
WRONG!

Kress

Smash Rookie
This thread is funny shit. I though Ch0zen was toying with these Yoshi mains when I first started reading, but seemingly not o_0.
I will never understand this grabbing business. He's got a grab release on many characters, right? Good players avoid getting grabbed. What then? Yoshi's left to his slightly above average air game and sub-par ground game.
I don't understand all this commotion on Yoshi all of a sudden. Sure, he's better then 6th bottom like he's been put on that tier list, but I actually loled (because I thought OP was joking) when high tier was mentioned.
WRONG!
Thank you, we're always welcoming any mainers who wants to post their oppinion here.

Well, He's certainly not High tier until we start moving to higher positions on tournaments, that's what makes the SBR looks at any character, and that's the way that character improves. So what we are triyng to do here is to create a Guild to move ourselves to tourneys and therefore make yoshi go higher in the rankings.

Grab release is great, but as you said, that alone won't ever make yoshi go high on tier lists. But we want to see "wich other options do we have"? Firstly, we have to take all the options we have, secondly, we have to search for more options, and finally, we have to put all of that thogether so we dont become predictable.

Of course, some of our mayor advantages are that NO ONE is used to deal with EXPERIENCED yoshis, so almost no one is familiarized with the matchup. But as this situaion progresses, we'll eventualy lose that position, and we have to make sure that we get to learn what we can do when people get used to fight against us.

This isn't a discussion saying "YOSHI GOD TIER FTW HANDS DOWN ASSADSDAS", it's just that we want to create a guild, that's it..

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Splitting up every sentence =/= win.

Since using one single move became predictable.
Just because it's predictable doesn't mean it's not useful, especially when the duration of the move is longer than most spotdodges. And it's not like it's the ONLY move you use, you're taking my words far too literally.

Since Egg Toss games, dash-grabbing, neutral air, and simply NOT approaching started to exist.
But are we talking about not approaching? No, we're talking about approaching. Grabs are also much easier to dodge and punish than bair is. Neutral air has limited range and can therefore be beaten by many characters.

Not all of his ground attacks do. Actually, outside of his throws, smashes (except down), up tilt, and possibly forward tilt, I'm not sure which ground attacks you're referring to.
Here's a tentative list of what ground attacks lead into aerial attacks:
Ftilt, dtilt, utilt, usmash, jab, egg toss, downB at lower percents, egg roll at higher percents, uthrow, bthrow, fthrow. Every other ground attack CAN lead to an aerial attack but either has too much knockback to be followed up, doesn't get followed up because it's just a bad move (dthrow), or is too weird to be measured this way (egg lay).

Yeah, okay. I think someone needs to be reminded that Brawl is very aerial-based, with the exception of camping.

Correction: If you're ONLY using Yoshi in the air, you're arbitrarily limiting yourself and making yourself very predictable.
Because I totally said that I'm only using Yoshi in the air. Please read, okay?

*Looks at down tilt* Umm... no.
The alternate universe where dtilt outranges grabs must be pretty nice.

Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when you clearly don't have a clue.

Marth Anecdote
And let's not get into anecdotal evidence, if you please.
Thanks, Sir Orion, for correcting Sir Orion for me.

Which I take to mean you believe this aspect to stand out about all of his other aspects. This directly contradicts what you said about none of his aspects standing out. Unless you're speaking generally, which you didn't indicate and wasn't implied. Don't blame me if you don't finish your own statements, please.
*facepalm*
There's definitely a difference between saying that a character focuses on an aspect of their game, and saying that character is awesome at that aspect of their game. I don't see how you could miss this, it's blatantly obvious.

Game over. Would you like to try again? Please don't.

Kress

Smash Rookie
Guys, could you please STOP that discussion? Or at least move it to another thread? This thread was created for making a guild, so that discussion is just unnesessary right now, discuss abuot that when we're over.

Thanks

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yes lets stop, But I'm going to argue on Roy now

WRONG!
The primary difference between Yoshi's grabs and someone else's grabs is that Yoshi's Pivot Grab is up there as one of the best grabs in the game. It completely stops cold tons of approaches, no matter if it's in the air or on the ground, and it has the speed of a standard melee based grab. There's a huge difference between Yoshi and everyone else. Even top players like Overswarm can't avoid my grab most of the time.

bigman40

Smash Master
I do find it ironic that we begin to argue as soon as you post "yoshi for high tier" and such. Yoshi COULD make it that high, IF we can get there. How bout everyone stop whining to each other about yoshi (as everyone has a different opinion), and work to push yoshi's abilities.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I agree with what you say, Scat, but it's important to know the limits of your character. Working around these weaknesses produces results, but simply ignoring them will only hurt Yoshi in the long run. That's all I'm saying (over and over...).

@ ch0zen: No one ever comes on the Yoshi boards. Who else would we flame?

Kress

Smash Rookie
I do find it ironic that we begin to argue as soon as you post "yoshi for high tier" and such. Yoshi COULD make it that high, IF we can get there. How bout everyone stop whining to each other about yoshi (as everyone has a different opinion), and work to push yoshi's abilities.
And why can't everyone just accept that? I mean geez, you can be optimistic or pessimistic, but we can't get ANYWHERE just by discussing, let's ShakeItBab..... <___< Er, I mean, let's just start organizing.

EDTI:
@Kiwi: Right, let's check the character's limits, I think that's what we want to discuss about when we start organizing. This will be something as a YBR (Yoshi Back Room) right? XD!
But I do think as you, we don't have to overrate the character, let's just avoid over/under rating him ok?

@ ch0zen: For Spartahhh! <_<

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I agree with Kiwi. Yoshi has flaws, and as much as I and all of us I'm sure try to work around them, we still need to be aware of them. And yeah, this arguing and bickering probably won't help us, but working on getting more tourney results will.

It's good that we have a lot of knowledge about Yoshi, and we should continue learning whatever we can. However, we still have to put that knowledge to good use.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Yes lets stop, But I'm going to argue on Roy now

The primary difference between Yoshi's grabs and someone else's grabs is that Yoshi's Pivot Grab is up there as one of the best grabs in the game. It completely stops cold tons of approaches, no matter if it's in the air or on the ground, and it has the speed of a standard melee based grab. There's a huge difference between Yoshi and everyone else. Even top players like Overswarm can't avoid my grab most of the time.
I know Yoshi has a good grab, I just think it's usefulness is extremely character specific.

I'll use Fox as an example here. He functions well by at first getting close to the character and then popping them in the air and drilling them back down or whatever. One problem is he has to be at CLOSE range, like close enough range to get grabbed, and the other problem is that all of his approaches are very commited and if the Foxs misjudges how it's going to happen or gets read easily then he's getting eaten by Yoshi. Basically, his approaches are high risk because they are massively commited.

To counter-act that, I think I'll hold up my main as an example. Sonic, like Fox, works on a close(ish) range game. Here's where he differs though, HE CAN CANCEL EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS APPROACHES. He's not going to cancel every single one, obviously, but as soon as that Yoshi goes for a pivot grab and Sonic shield cancels that Spindash Yoshi is going to get punished. As we all know, defensively I think it's fair to say Yoshi's pretty poor. Once Sonic's capatilized on this Yoshi's over eagerness on the grabbing part, Sonic will hassle him up close, and I can't really see how Yoshi will deal with it. If Sonic pops him into the air, he can juggle with uair (outranges dair I believe) and if Yoshi tries a Yoshi Bomb (down B lol) I can just airdodge and do a very lagless nair for 11%. On the ground, Sonic can go kick him around spacing with tilts (Sonic's range really isn't that bad >_>).

But yeah, the general point is that it's going to affect some characters like Fox or Ike pretty badly, while characters who are never fully commited to their approach like Sonic and a few others.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
So far the thread seems to be for Kiwi making ad hominem attacks because he doesn't have a point to make. *Shrugs*

Mmac

Smash Lord
I know Yoshi has a good grab, I just think it's usefulness is extremely character specific.

I'll use Fox as an example here. He functions well by at first getting close to the character and then popping them in the air and drilling them back down or whatever. One problem is he has to be at CLOSE range, like close enough range to get grabbed, and the other problem is that all of his approaches are very commited and if the Foxs misjudges how it's going to happen or gets read easily then he's getting eaten by Yoshi. Basically, his approaches are high risk because they are massively commited.

To counter-act that, I think I'll hold up my main as an example. Sonic, like Fox, works on a close(ish) range game. Here's where he differs though, HE CAN CANCEL EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS APPROACHES. He's not going to cancel every single one, obviously, but as soon as that Yoshi goes for a pivot grab and Sonic shield cancels that Spindash Yoshi is going to get punished. As we all know, defensively I think it's fair to say Yoshi's pretty poor. Once Sonic's capatilized on this Yoshi's over eagerness on the grabbing part, Sonic will hassle him up close, and I can't really see how Yoshi will deal with it. If Sonic pops him into the air, he can juggle with uair (outranges dair I believe) and if Yoshi tries a Yoshi Bomb (down B lol) I can just airdodge and do a very lagless nair for 11%. On the ground, Sonic can go kick him around spacing with tilts (Sonic's range really isn't that bad >_>).

But yeah, the general point is that it's going to affect some characters like Fox or Ike pretty badly, while characters who are never fully commited to their approach like Sonic and a few others.
So far the thread seems to be for Kiwi making ad hominem attacks because he doesn't have a point to make. *Shrugs*
I have alot to say, but just screw it. Lets just get on with the guild. No more of this crap

D

Deleted member

Sonic is one of the few(maybe 3) who is hard to get a grab on.

Also, yoshis grab molests olimar.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
There's really no lag on a pivot-grab though, that was basically the whole point of using it in the first place.

If you miss, you can still react in most cases.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I have alot to say, but just screw it.
That was totally worthy of a post.

I'm keeping an eye on this guild thing.
No offence to anyone here at all because I'm glad this community is finding stuff out for their main and helping him progress, but this all feels like the guns being jumped a bit.
High tier is madness. If we're looking at the current high tier, that's putting him in the ranks of Kirby and DK and such characters, who I feel are better characters than Yoshi by quite a stretch.
He has the makings of a comfortable-ish mid tier for me, provided all these discoveries start to help Yoshi's tournament placings, because so far it's been pretty lacking.
That's my view, looking in on the crazy world of Yoshi mainage.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.....I missed the ranting. *pouts*

Yoshi mainage is like a cult, once your in you can never leave, and Scat injects a liquid into your head that makes you have the mind of a god. We know the true things about brawl since our char is low enough to inspect all aspects of the game where as higher tier chars o not have to work as hard for their victories.

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
I recall someone stating, in this thread, no one knows how to properly counter a Yoshi.
You're lucky you don't live in Australia, my biggest competition (Sloth) was one of the top 5 Aus Melee players and had a 50/50 win ratio against Bringer (he mains GaW in brawl and seconds ICs).

Either way, is there any plan for when people can start joining the guild?

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.....I missed the ranting. *pouts*

Yoshi mainage is like a cult, once your in you can never leave, and Scat injects a liquid into your head that makes you have the mind of a god. We know the true things about brawl since our char is low enough to inspect all aspects of the game where as higher tier chars o not have to work as hard for their victories.
I got a weird strain of this liquid for some reason, and all of a sudden I was unwilling to openly admit that I was a Yoshi main.
I will admit, tho, that you tend to analyze other characters a lot more when you're using a low tier character, because you need to find the things you can exploit against each of those characters.

bigman40

Smash Master
@Kiwi: I know that Yoshi is basically the balanced fighter in this game (a little lower in the defense), so I've always take into account the weaknesses that he holds. What I'm saying is that we should find ways to strengthen the lacking areas, and push Yoshi's placement to where we generally agreed on (mid tier). After that, work on the crazy (high tier) things :D

@Chaco: Wait......I do what? o.o;

Everyone should know, ONE move can't fully justify a certain area in a character's game (except GW >_>). Pivot grabs isn't the "super, spectacular defense". Everything Yoshi can do defensively is still useful, situational, yes, but still useful. We need to find ways to make moves less situational, and make them a feasible strategy that we can fall on.

Kress

Smash Rookie
For some weird reason, I got that lquid before I joined to SWF (To the yoshi boards, I never go to the rest of the forums, it's just like meh...), but I never noticed about it until I started Sub-Maining other characters. It was always like "I'm playing yoshi against ike, i should chaingrab bla bla bla" thinkin' stuff, but when I started sub-maining luigi, at first, I just played, but I did AWFUL, then I noticed that I couldnt play good unless y started analyzin stuff D:

Anyways, that's great ;)

Airborne

Smash Lord
Sorry to burst the happy bubble here, but Yoshi is definitely not high tier.
Yes, he has combos. The problem is, against certain commonly used characters, it's pretty difficult to actually get a hit in. Yoshi has two feasible approaches (bair and dash grabs), and if someone shuts down those approaches that are, inconveniently enough, both stopped by the same sort of forward attacks, Yoshi is pretty much screwed in that match.
The "Falco of Brawl" thing is pretty off, too. Whereas Falco actually is a great character in certain areas, Yoshi isn't the best at any one thing (except air speed, I guess). This would, in theory, make him a jack-of-all-trades, versatility-based character. Unfortunately, Yoshi fails to compensate in his more lacking areas, and as such, there are a lot of holes in his otherwise well-balanced gameplay.
I'm sure no one likes WoTs about how much Yoshi sucks, but I'm the pessimist here, right?
there are other ways to approach...his ftilt actually had enough range for me to win a sudden death against a D3.... and besides, i think we should just all keep messing with the DR/DT in order to find out if it has any other uses... has anyone tried to edgeguard with it? it might not have the range of Melee's WD, but it might still have the uses of application. I might have to agree on the Falco of Brawl thing with being balanced, i suppose, but i think yoshi gets an upper hand with most fights b/c these new ATs are not to be expected and thus he's not as predictable... imo =P

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Yoshi approaches (okay im not expert)

N-air
Back air
Running grab (worst approach).
Dr/DT
Egg Roll (2nd worst approach?)
Air dodge lawlz...
Yoshi bomb from above >.> (3rd worse approach?)
SH egg toss's?

Not like yoshi needs to approach everybody, some people have to approach him and yoshi is an up-close fighter, and when he needs to approach he generally has something.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
@ EveryOne- my name is Chozen... not Ch0zen -->

http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=31133

@ Chrono- Yoshi has infinite approaches... just to name afew..

DR Utilt
DR Ftilt [my personal fav]
DR Dsmash
DR Jab
Running Grab [not bad if you're opponent has tripped off a SH Dair, or is shielding eggs]
PG [pivot grab]
Bair-->Utilt
"Perfect" Bair-->Nair/Uair
Dair-->Grab
Dair
Falling Uair
DJC NeutralB
PNB [Pivot NeutralB.. this is MONEY]
Eggzzzz + everything O_o

Run up-->Shield-->Utaunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M65zI9LH-as

Just Dance.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Running grab is definitely NOT Yoshi's worst approach. If pressed, I'd say his worst common approach MIGHT be an unassisted running attack, but even then it occasionally has its uses.

Top Bottom