• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Utah Power Rankings (last updated on - Brawl: 03/08/10 Melee: 01/10/10)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Welcome to Utah's Power Rankings thread.

MISSION STATEMENT
The purpose of this list is to promote competition within the Utah community by giving Utah players a reason to practice hard in order to get ranked (or get ranked higher), so that one day, Utah can possibly contend with bigger states, and become more than just a state that gets ignored in the Smash community; and as we advance on our journey to achieve this goal, other states can view our current standings via these rankings.

PANEL MEMBERS

• Dark Ryu
  • Perfect Chaos
  • r3d d09
  • Sinz

Note: Previous rankings are based on the list made on January 10, 2010.

RECENTLY DROPPED FROM BRAWL TOP-5

• C!Z (3)

Note: Due to no tournament activity since the last list update
, C!Z was added as Rank 0, for unquestionably being the top Melee player in the state. Other than that, this is still the June 5, 2009 list.

RECENTLY DROPPED FROM MELEE TOP-5

• N/A

For the history of previous Utah Power Ranking lists (Both Melee and Brawl): CLICK HERE
(I must request for no one to edit this page unless you know what you are doing, and if it is for fixing typos or if I have listed information about YOU that you deem to be incorrect. I am trying to keep this as organized, consistent, and accurate as possible, and it will just make my job more difficult if it changes too much. Thank you.)

CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY

1. One must have participated in Singles of at least 3 major tournaments OR 2 back-to-back major tournaments.
    • Reason: This is for the purpose of actually showing that you are serious about being part of the community, and not just coming once for the heck of it.
  2. The last major tournament where one participated in Singles must not be more than 2 months ago (4 tournaments ago, to be more precise).
    • Reason: This is for the purpose of being active in the community.

HOW THE PLAYERS
ARE RANKED
Rankings will be determined mainly by Singles' tournament placings, weighted so that more recent results make a bigger impact on one's rank than older results. Other areas that will also be taken into consideration (but affect the rankings less drastically than Singles' tournament placings) are, but not limited to, potential, individual match-ups, Doubles' results, and general trends in friendlies.

At the end of a panel discussion meeting, each panelist will vote on a top-10 list of their preference (if they missed the discussion, their vote will come to me later via IM/PM/e-mail). When voting on a top-10 list, each panelist will omit themselves from their list (the list will still have 10 people) in order to avoid bias towards oneself. The placings of the votes will be averaged, so it will not give a panel member an advantage or disadvantage whatsoever. The tallied up votes will then be used to mathematically calculate the Power Rankings.

OTHER MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION

• I will make it my top priority to have the list updated every month, before the end of each month (unless the second tournament of the month is very close to the end of the month, then I will try to update it within the first week of the next month).
  • Panel discussion will take place either at the tournament scene after the tournament or on instant messaging.
    • A panel discussion will take place when at least 4 of the 6 panelists are able to do it. Any panel member that are not able to participate in the discussion will simply cast their vote without having their input heard in the discussion (must vote within 3 days after the discussion is held). Only under emergency situations will a discussion take place with less than 4 panelists.
  • If ever there is a tie in any specific placings that the panel cannot agree to settle, the tie-breaker will be the other Utah Smashers. People that are allowed to vote on the tie-breaker have to be either eligible for being ranked or have entered in any one of the tournaments since the previous list, AND is NOT one of the candidates of the tie in question (they may vote for other ties in the same list that doesn't deal with them). One cannot vote for a friend that doesn't have a SmashBoards account (if they want a vote, then they should get their own account). Voting lasts for 5 days after the announcement to start voting is made or until 11:59.59 PM MST on the Thursday before the next major tournament, whichever comes first.
    • If a player is in a tie with someone else, but has not entered Singles since the last list update while the other person has, they will automatically be placed under that person.

PANEL CONTACT INFORMATION

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding any of the rules and regulations. I am open for suggestions.

wangston

Smash Lord
Omg!!!! First Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay something useful. I'm going to break the top 10 then I'm going to tell all the chicks I meet I'm one of the top 10 ssbb players in utah. This will for sure get me chicks.

Has David given up on brawl because he didn't play in the past two tournaments I was at. I just saw him stop in for like 5 minutes. I really want to see his falco because he is the best in state and he won some Colorado tournaments.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So I just had an interesting conversation with X, and he is complaining about how he's third, despite his better consistency and placing higher than Kenny the majority of the time. So I explained to him how it was extremely close, how Kenny did better recently (which it's weighted to do so), quoting the reason I posted in the old Power Rankings thread to help with that, and then said that if he does better than Kenny this upcoming weekend, he'll most likely jump ahead of Kenny. Then the following things were said...

X: still i wanna be 2nddd! and i guess ima actually have to train
X: bahh, i hate training
PC: Good, the Power Rankings did what it was meant for.
X: :ohwell:
X: ?????
X: made ppl wanna be betteR?
X: thats what it did for me at melee :p

So, as you can see, the list has begun to work its magic (and we aren't even two hours into its existence, yet). :laugh:

So what would I have to place in the next major tourney to be top 3??
First of all, you posted this in the WRONG THREAD! Anyway, beat out David and get first, and we will see. Right now, you are contending with Lada. X and Kenny have a comfortable lead on you, so it'll be tough getting onto top three with just one tournament (unless maybe the both of them get like last place or something).

___X___

Smash Lord
ahh!

pc post's my CONVO's!!

respect my privacy!!!

hahah jkkkk

but anyways, i love how you made my sonic BLACK on the rankings!

ily pc <3

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Normally, I wouldn't post any personal conversations I have with other people, but I wanted to make a point, and so I had to.

Oh, and yeah, I thought you would like it. I also made David's Falco with the green-colored jacket (although you can barely see the jacket :ohwell:).

Also, I made an addition under the "How The Players Are Ranked" heading. It is regarding how the voting would work. I used the new voting system that was used for the old list, as it did a good job avoiding bias towards oneself.

wangston

Smash Lord
I wanna be the very best
Like noone ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause
I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Each Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside

Pokemon!
It's you and me
I know it's my destiny
Pokemon!
Ooh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend
Pokemon!
Our hearts so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me and I'll teach you
Pokemon
Gotta catch 'em all!

Every challenge along the way
With courage I will face
I will battle every day
To claim my rightful place
Come with me, the time is right
There's no better team
Arm in arm we'll win the fight
It's always been our dream

Pokemon!
It's you and me
I know it's my destiny
Pokemon!
Ooh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend
Pokemon!
Our hearts so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me and I'll teach you
Pokemon
Gotta catch 'em all!

I just thought I would get everyone pumped.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
If you wanted to get people pumped, this is the song to quote...

He wants to be the very best
Like no one ever was
To punch them is his real test
The knee them is his cause
He will travel across the land
Kicking far and wide
F-Zero racers to understand
The power that's inside

Falcon Punch! Gotta punch 'em!
It's uber 1337
To punch is his destiny
Falcon Punch!
Punch...no one's his friend
In a world he must defend
Falcon Punch! Gotta punch 'em!
Show me your moves
His knee will kill you, too
He kneed my than he kneed you
Falcon Punch...
Gotta smash 'em all

Gotta smash 'em all!
FALCON PUNCH!

I wonder how many people know what this is from (or who wrote this parody).

But anyway, let's not get off topic, here. I don't want this thread getting closed because of it.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
yes to your question PC, and the boss battle music from blue dragon is the only thing that gets me pumped up go listen to it,

besides im the only one who plays PT anyway

YazYaz

Smash Apprentice
These power rankings have inspired me!! I will stop sand bagging now meh meh meh. Remember that I beat out both X and Kenny to take 2nd at the tourney of Fate. Lada only had to take on X. His bracket was ridiculously easy.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
You still haven't addressed the fact that you forgot to add me. :(

I guess I'll take #4, since I haven't attended the past thirteen tournaments.

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
So If I came to a tourney in december and did well (not a chance seeing as I haven't played brawl in like two and a half months) Could I be on power rankings? Just wondering.

wangston

Smash Lord
I totally just challenged yaz for his 5th place spot. I 3 stocked him with G&W and 2 stocked him with Falco. He went meta both times, he even went balls out but I went balls further out hahaha. If you don't believe me I saved a replay on kenny's wii. I'm kidding yaz, they were friendlies and I could tell you were sand bagging there wasn't enough whorenado going on. Yaz your meta knight is so sick you need to get that first at ToF this week.

Also is there any chance of a doubles power ranking???

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So If I came to a tourney in december and did well (not a chance seeing as I haven't played brawl in like two and a half months) Could I be on power rankings? Just wondering.
Maybe...you should come and find out.

...Also is there any chance of a doubles power ranking???
Teams rankings don't work out so well, especially when the results have holes in them due to only team names being inputted (so we are not quite sure who was on what team), etc.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Only under emergency situations will a discussion take place with less than 4 panelists.

I love that line, "if there is some extream car crash were our panal is all killed we are dedicated to complete the power rankins at all costs, to prevent this panaliest are not alowed to: be in the same car or plane, join the army, do extream sports, kiss girls (as the off chance that they could have a cut lip and we could get aids), break dance, be with X for any prolonged periods of time, attend football games for the other team, or ride a bike with no handle bars."

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
[*]Also, people that only go to ToF just because it is held at a Play 'n' Trade are probably not dedicated enough to be ranked, anyway.
I'm pretty sure this was aimed at me.
...But now I have a good reason to go to MA since I want to beat dear ol' Waffles and get ranked.
Hope you forgive me once I bump you off the list! :p

___X___

Smash Lord
...But now I have a good reason to go to MA since I want to beat dear ol' Waffles and get ranked.

......... ohhh i can't WAIT to OWN fight you!

ill show you what a true low tier can do :)

:) :) :) :) :)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Hey, it was really close at the Thursday tourney. I got him up around 50% on his last stock... Unless he was sandbagging me. DON'T SANDBAG ME, DANGIT!!!
But I'm using Link's UpB less under pressure (Good for Melee, bad for Brawl) and have already grown more proficient with all characters since our match so I think it will be very close. But this isn't the thread for a :newbie: to try to brag so /Anonano's posts until Saturday.

And only PC's F-Zero song character can go lower than Link, X. I don't doubt you'll slay me profusely, though. Just trying to get at the purely cool, funny and awesome Waffles.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I smell a coup de'tat from Anonano and Wangston.

Honestly though, for the PnT Thursday tourneys, I use those days to practice with characters I'm normally not good with since I don't own Brawl.

EDIT: PC's avatar works again

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
It wasn't aimed at anyone specific. But it's good that it gave you a better reason for you to try to make it to MA. :laugh:

And only PC's F-Zero song character can go lower than Link, X. I don't doubt you'll slay me profusely, though. Just trying to get at the purely cool, funny and awesome Waffles.
As much as I would like to take credit, I didn't write that song (hence the thing I said after that); the credit goes to Youko. But yeah, only F-Zero's Falcon can go lower than Link on the tier list... (I find it funny that one of my friend's main in Melee is Falcon and secondary in Melee is Link.)

EDIT: PC's avatar works again
I've probably re-uploaded the thing over 20 times already. Every few of hours, it will suddenly disappear, so I have to re-upload it (you probably caught it between the time it goes down and the time I re-upload it every time until now). Xsyven is having the same problem with it, but he has given up on re-uploading it a long time ago.

Mexicans have taken over the power rankings!!
It's true! Six of the ten are...

Gojira

Smash Lord
I See

Get rid off the other thread then.

Remove me from the rankings 100% I don't play Brawl anymore.

However, I deserve to be in the top 10 Melee list =D

Top Bottom