• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

smaci92

Smash Lord
I made this question and answer thread, where anyone can ask questions relating to Ice Climbers and the more experienced Ice Climber users and anyone who wishes can answer the questions.

The Rules for Posting

1. Post here if you have a question. Be as specific as possible.

2. If you are unsure if something has been found post here before creating a new thread.

3. If you need help with anything from beating a certain character to performing an AT, post here

4. No flaming will be tolerated. Many useless questions may be asked but they are more than welcome here than in an entirely new thread.

5. Ice Climber players will respond in a timely matter with great answers that will address the specific question asked. If the question or discovery has been previously answered in an important and up to date thread, we reserve the right to redirect you to that thread where the answer is located.

6. Questions will be answered with some substance and detail to help the questionnaire understand why that answer is the correct answer to his or her question.

7. More than one question is allowed at one time. The Ice Climber boards will do their best to cover all questions asked as according to the rules.

8. Debates between responders are acceptable and arguing is not. Know the difference.

9. If two people have the same question at the same time or at different times. we will do our best to address each individual person. and their situation.

10. Do not post the same question over and over if you are the same person. Learn from the answers we give you and improve. If you have a different question, you are more than welcome to come back and ask.

11. Trust our knowledge. If you ask a question you will get a great and correct answer from good Ice Climber players, We know Ice Climbers better than you do so trust that our answer is correct.

12. It is recommended you quote the person you are responding to.

13. Only respond if you know the answer.

14. Ice Climber players have lives. We are sorry if we cannot answer your question right away. We will get to it as soon as possible. Even if we have to research.

15. If all else fails, you always have the search forum. http://www.smashboards.com/search.php

16. You can also check out the FAQ. Just scroll down.

17. These are not permanent rules. Should the rules need editing, I will do so if enough people petition for it.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Yer, there is likely no Q&A thread in the IC forums...

Anyways... Should I use Fsmash more than Ftilt?

smaci92

Smash Lord
i would use fsmash when you pretty sure it will hit, and jabs and ftilt just to hit them away from you when you need some space...

smaci92

Smash Lord
This post will contain every question and answer on this thread, and will be linked to the 1st post...so ignore my double post...

Question #1:
Anyways... Should I use Fsmash more than Ftilt?

Answer(s) to #1:
Yeah. Ftilt has more speed, that's really the only advantage I see over it, I personally find the jabs more useful if you want speed though. Fsmash is still really fast though.
**** speed, its priority that you need. Ftilt's priority is mediocre at best. Fsmash has pretty decent priority so you should use that.
i would use fsmash when you pretty sure it will hit, and jabs and ftilt just to hit them away from you when you need some space...

Question #2:
when should Ice Block Locks be used and for how long/far should you keep it up?

i was playing this guy on Castle siege and got him in an ice block lock on the left side of the second transition of the stage (inside) i had him pinned sown for almost the entire duration of that section with an IBL. when the stage changed i got the kill, but i felt bad using it for so long....
Answer(s) to #2:
never feel guilty about anything; you play ice climbers
i don't think I'd ever feel guilty about and IBL. IBL's are sick---especially when they kill the opponent lol :bee:
I only ice block lock when I'm messing up my alt grabs.

Question #3:
My turn to ask a question :): what are your favorite ways of desyncing???
Answer(s) to #3:
DD -> blizzard and the match start desynch are the only desynchs I really like.
Starting desynch and Pivot desynch.

Question #4:

how do you do the alternating back throws? I can do the forward throw chain up to 60-70%, but I can't seem to even get 2 back throws in a row. Do you have to do a pivot grab or something for alt back throw?
Answer(s) to #4:
Oh yes, alternating Bthrows are hard at first....VERY HARD. It took me 2 hours to learn. but once you learn the timing it is easy. Try listening to their voices...this can help a lot.

Question #5:
ok wat r some good ways to de-sync IC i really need help !!!!!!!!
Answer(s) to #5:

Question #6:
thx but can some1 explain how to pivot and how to pivot desync
Answer(s) to #6:
Pivot is just turning in the opposite direction you're facing. o_o

Pivot Desynching is pivoting and doing an attack during some point in the pivot animation.

IMO, Z+Back and Dash Dance are the better desynchs. I've used Pivot Desynch about 5 times.

And stop Multiposting. Use the edit button.

Question #7:
With the popo Dthrow nana Fair chain grab what order do these go in?
Nana Jump
Popo D throw
Nana Fair
Answer(s) to #7:
i'm pretty sure its:

Popo dthrow
Nana jump
Nana fair

Question #8:
I have a question: I love desyncing my IC's...but what if the opponent has projectiles and it keeps messing up my desyncing? do I play synced or what?
Answer(s) to #8:
Stop whatever you were doing and do something else, it obviously isnt working. Approach with shield, and when close enough, SH squall OOS, then try to catch them off guard like that.

Question #9:
hi guys :)
i JUST picked up IC's yesterday and i'm in love with them <3
my questions are:
1. what moves should i use to build damage?
- i like using jabs, dsmash, nana fair cg, side-b
2. what moves should i use to kill?
-usually i do grab to upsmash on c-stick, or bair
3. and finally, HOW DO YOU DO ALTERNATING THROWS!!!???
-i've tried looking at vids, reading guides but they all say the same thing: grab, fthrow/dthrow/bthrow, regrab...

any helpful tips are appreciated, thanks :) !

Answer(s) to #9:
1. Squall hammer, Blizzard, up-tilt if they are above you, up air, back air, Down smash, other things that come out quickly but have little ending lag, chain grabs...
2. Forward smash, up smash
3. Well, here are some ways people know when to time the grabs

(For heavy weight characters, add a .5 sec delay in between the throwing command and regrabing command in these instructions. Lighter characters, go as fast as you can)

Down throw
Just throw down and dash grab to regrab (only works on low percents and doesn't work at all on really light characters)

Chain grabs
Down throw cg
Throw down, tilt controls stick forward immediately so the other Ice Climber is walking forward toward the opponent being thrown, and regrab the moment after the opponent is slammed into the ground

Forward throw CG (Something I can never do)
Throw forward but make sure you are tilting the control stick while you are giving the throw command so the other Ice Climber is just walking forward (not running), let the throw continue, when you hear the "Eh" sound they make, press grab and you should be able to regrab if the other Ice Climber walks into the proper area in front of you.

Back throw CG (first thing I learned)
Throw backward by tapping the control stick in the back direction, immediate regrab after you tap the control stick but not at the same time the control stick gets tapped (Leave a tiny delay between the tapping and grab button commands)

Question #10:

Answer(s) to #10:

Miller

Smash Lord
**** speed, its priority that you need. Ftilt's priority is mediocre at best. Fsmash has pretty decent priority so you should use that.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero

i was playing this guy on Castle siege and got him in an ice block lock on the left side of the second transition of the stage (inside) i had him pinned sown for almost the entire duration of that section with an IBL. when the stage changed i got the kill, but i felt bad using it for so long....

smaci92

Smash Lord

i don't think I'd ever feel guilty about and IBL. IBL's are sick---especially when they kill the opponent :bee:

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
oh well, i guess i'll be proud then. it was funny watching him just bouncing there... helpless.... ****ing ganondorf main....

K 2

Smash Lord
how do you do the alternating back throws? I can do the forward throw chain up to 60-70%, but I can't seem to even get 2 back throws in a row. Do you have to do a pivot grab or something for alt back throw?

smaci92

Smash Lord
thanks fly amanita!
Oh yes, alternating Bthrows are hard at first....VERY HARD. It took me 2 hours to learn. but once you learn the timing it is easy. Try listening to their voices...this can help a lot.

noob IC plyr

Smash Rookie
hey how do u pivot and then pivot desync???
Thx 4 all the help im a veteran plyr 4 SSB but not with IC
THX!!!!!

smaci92

Smash Lord
I'm not "nooby"...I'm amazing with ZSS; and I'm not bad with IC's---Just need more practice. I just wanted a challenge, so I decided to main IC's.

and to tell you the truth, your question is pretty hard for anyone to answer...techniques while desynched should come naturally with enough practice...

noob IC plyr

Smash Rookie
no thts not wat i meant. i meant u were good and r just trying a character u have not played with.

I also woukd like to no. Wat if i cant practice enough cuz im in 8th grade and i dont have alot of time on my hands. But i am the best plyr out of my friends.

3rd how do u pivot desync and pivot. I am unfamiliar with that term srry for all the ????'s

noob IC plyr

Smash Rookie
oh btw smaci i would like to ply u some time c how good u r but use ZSS im gonna use Flaco

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Pivot is just turning in the opposite direction you're facing. o_o

Pivot Desynching is pivoting and doing an attack during some point in the pivot animation.

IMO, Z+Back and Dash Dance are the better desynchs. I've used Pivot Desynch about 5 times.

And stop Multiposting. Use the edit button.

noob IC plyr

Smash Rookie
oh srry i didnt notice tht srry can also explain the one tht u thik is better. Thx 4 all the help i am such a n00b here!!!! LOL
BTW im a boy.
I need to give u my WII # so ill give it to u when I have time
Oh and how do u get ur pics after u send a post

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
oh srry i didnt notice tht srry can also explain the one tht u thik is better. Thx 4 all the help i am such a n00b here!!!! LOL
Well...the way I hold the controller makes it difficult for me to dashdance, but DD Desynch is quicker. =X

I use Z+ back more though.

Top Bottom