• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcript of the SBR "MK Podcast" (Sonic section)//Steak Break Room:Sonic Discussion

Tenki

Smash Hero
edit:
Originally titled: Transcript of the SBR "MK Podcast" (Sonic section). Also known as WCD: Sonic! [beta]

So I finally got around to listening to this.
2:15:11

Alright guys! I'll write the transcript! I don't exactly know who the voices are right away, but I can separate them.

=================
"Tell the Sonic people out why he's so low on the tier list."

OS: "No disjointed hitboxes of any kind, spam works. And there's nothing that Sonic can do, because the only things that go around it are so telegraphed that the other person can just move out of the way. Like, I literally walked up to DastrnMarco and said
'hey, you're playing Anther's Sonic and you're down a couple stocks; Hold down and just hit A alot. He's gonna jump and do a neutral B. Shield and roll. Then down-tilt again. He then beat Anther's Sonic.'"

Umbreon: "But yeah uhm... I have a strategy to fight Sonic where I just ignore his hitboxes and it seems to work pretty well. I act like he's a moving target that doesn't attack and his moves always lose."

OS: "Yeah it's just like, all of his approaching aerials are, if they're any good, like... up-air, forward-air - You have to be in a very specific area(?). So if you just push yourself into a position where he has to forward-air, he's gonna do like 2 damage in the first hit of his move, and you just hit him with whatever-"

[1]: "Yeah, and the reason why I think he's so bad is because I don't think he has any options? I see Brawl as a game of options, and when you put him in a bad spot, he just doesn't have any options."

-silence-

[?]: "His up-B?"

[random voices: "hm? ye- uh. oh-- euh -??! &&&&"]

OS: "Well, his offensive options are another. He can up-B all he wants. I can just walk to the other side of the stage and" [laughs] "Smash really is a game of options, moreso in Brawl than it was in Melee. In Melee, a character was good if he had an offensive option. Period. If you could start it, then you could do it. In Brawl it's not really the case: You have to have an option for every scenario. That's why characters like Metaknight do really well and Snake- even though he's really strong and he has like, the perfect KO move with is up-tilt, has a great defensive game with grenades, his [?? breakdance step??] - he still doesn't dominate because he's so slow and... bulky in the air-"

[2]: "Yeah, in the air, he has absolutely no options for defending against people who can just juggle him."

OS: "It's really difficult for him to hold his ground because he really doesn't have the options that other people have."

[1]: "Yeah, he can't adapt as well"

OS: "That's a big thing too in Brawl. People will learn this as time goes on, but, when your character doesn't have an option in a certain scenario, the key to beating them is putting them in that scenario. Like once people realized that ROB had a blind spot the size of the sun behind him and below him, they would just knock him up with a 3% up-tilt or ... whatever and would end up doing 40% because what's ROB gonna do? D-air in the same place?"

==============

2:29: lmao stupid ad or something, I just started hearing a crappy low-qual version of "it doesn't matter" and I thought it was part of the podcast. I thought someone randomly started playing that in the background.

edit: oh, it was in Youko's playlist cause I opened SBR's podcast page to see if they did it before or after the Sonic discussion. lol.

Comments:
- It sounds all too familiar. They definitely put alot of thought into these discussions.

- Wait, I was pretty sure you could SH F-air small characters. But apparently not, because the first hit will be the only one that makes contact, which makes it really easy to punish.

==============
If you are just visiting this thread for the first time,
READ HERE!
Podcast Section:
...the podcast was done with only a few members of the podcast. One of which was Overswarm, who said most of the things (like the dtilt spam thing, as well as bringing up Anther's young Sonic over and over again), both in the WCD and in the podcast, that many of you are angry about. Those were his personal views. Not the SBR's.
johns

Character Summary: thanks to SamuraiPanda lolol
His ability to punish even the slightest lag with a running grab is awesome, and he has some interesting options out of his throws, too. However, he is mostly limited by the player who uses him. Sonic has options for "mindgames," but if your opponent plays smarter than you, then you'll lose. Sonic's reliance on reading/tricking his opponent are both the strongest and the weakest part of his game.

Everything after this post is general discussion.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol!

So basically, to come to the conclusion of the unbreakable D-tilt, apparently Sonic's only answer to spam is Homing Attack, which indeed is quite telegraphed, and I'll kill you for ever trying to use it to recover against me.

So with a combination of punishing Homing Attack and Anther idolization, they came to the conclusion that, since Anther didn't know how to break D-tilt and Anther has a reputation, Sonic's approaches are telegraphed AND D-tilt > Sonic 4ever.

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
wow, just because of anther`s sonic?! o-o wow, they need to fight us on our own turf lol XD ^^, When we can outrange mk`s dtilt with f-tilt lol XD ^^

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
i'm glad you did this.
i was going to, then i realized the sbr asks me stuff on the regular. lol

thanks tenki, this means a lot to me either way.
i have some pull, and this helps

Napilopez

Smash Lord
loll. So yea, the WCD basically.

=/

Although I will give them something about the options thing. SOnic has options, just not as good as some other chars. The whole offensive thing about melee I find to be true as well... Sonic would be too good in Melee.

But yea, lol, the dtilt of doom.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
dtilt isn't even like, that great

i mean, it is a god sent move imo, but compared to others............... unghghgngugnugng
that's it?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Stop tagging names. Infractions will be issued out to people who continue to do so. There is no point other than trying to draw attention. And ironically, I didn't even search my name before I found this.

Also,
Umbreon: "But yeah uhm... I have a strategy to fight Sonic where I just ignore his hitboxes and it seems to work pretty well. I act like he's a moving target that doesn't attack and his moves always lose."
That is pretty true. Of course, not in all cases, but definitely for a lot of them.

Browny

Smash Hater
God i hope being a smash researcher doesnt mean that you actually have to put in the slightest bit of effort into researching other characters ...

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Stop tagging names. Infractions will be issued out to people who continue to do so. There is no point other than trying to draw attention. And ironically, I didn't even search my name before I found this.

Also,
That is pretty true. Of course, not in all cases, but definitely for a lot of them.
i don;t understand why you are avoiding the inevitable

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
God i hope being a smash researcher doesnt mean that you actually have to put in the slightest bit of effort into researching other characters ...
...I have stated multiple times that I've frequently read the Sonic boards, and I know what Sonic can do. That doesn't change a ****ed thing.

This is why I, among many others, loathe this board. You people are unreasonable.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah guys, let's not do anything hasty or get this thread closed for the matter... Tenki made it, he deserves to at least have his threads open without our posts...

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
...I have stated multiple times that I've frequently read the Sonic boards, and I know what Sonic can do. That doesn't change a ****ed thing.

This is why I, among many others, loathe this board. You people are unreasonable.
you clearly haven't.
that is why we loathe you.

i can go specific, panda, if you want

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yeah guys, let's not do anything hasty or get this thread closed for the matter... Tenki made it, he deserves to at least have his trheads open without our posts...
Actually, for our complaining, none of us actually corrected those comments.

Sonike is total win.

And Memphis, please do.

Browny

Smash Hater
you frequent here, you know what he can do...

but you still completely ignore/disregard it. the original WCD thread made this painfully obvious.
of course it doesnt help that you base all your experience and make extreme generalisations off a player who only recently picked up the character

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
you clearly haven't.
that is why we loathe you.

i can go specific, panda, if you want
Go for it. Get specific. But keep in mind that pointing out that move X and Y have priority doesn't change the fact that his other moves don't. His approaches are extremely limited in terms of priority, so you often have to try to outsmart your opponent in order to catch him.

but you still completely ignore/disregard it. the original WCD thread made this painfully obvious.
of course it doesnt help that you base all your experience and make extreme generalisations off a player who only recently picked up the character
I said nothing of importance in the WCD, IIRC. I don't have the time to post essays anymore, and I don't care enough about Sonic to post much at all. Stop assuming things about what I know and what I don't know. Because you're wrong.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'

sad but true,

i tried talking civil. no one listens to a blue blur main.
if you want to dispute it then talk to me personally. i have enough evidence to make everyone in the sbr look look stupid

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Urgh...

I'm sorry SP, I tried to be a good little Hedgehog and set an example for the others...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

Well you certainly don't like showing it. It's irritating.
Almost as annoying as generalizing the entire board. Profiling always makes you look like an idiot.

I had been patient, and had been waiting for something, anything, just for the SBR to at the very least, put some thought into Sonic's attributes.

And what we got terrified the heck out of me. Because of it, I question exactly how much the SBR seems to know about...well...anything now.

Oh, and that avy of yours...
I want to kick that thing in the face...so hard.
It's disgusting to look at.

and I don't care enough about Sonic to post much at all.
I assume most of the SBR has this mentality, based on the SCD.
Seriously, I would've rathered you guys to have never done a discussion on him, than do it without much care.
Why go through with something that you aren't even seriously considering as a discussion? It only makes you look silly.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We have to be reasonable, if there's friction between the two parties, it won't work!

If we can all calm down, and try this again, maybe we can get somewhere... please?

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
panda, i have my back with the entire sonic board that you are completely ignorant.

if you want to talk, i will.

aim,
IIRC,
whatever.

i want a time and date and i will ****ing show you

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Primary Sonic tactics v. MK -

do nothing. If Sonic does nothing, MK must approach, and MK telegraphs his moves fairly well, in spite of them not having start-up lag, through whether he runs, jumps, does a tornado, etc. Sonic's speed allows him (and pretty much ONLY him) to punish MK's wiffed attacks. Sonic will want to bait an approach so that MK attacks, and priority will no longer be an issue.

EDIT: I'm sorry for any inaccurate info, but I don't actually main Sonic. I need a Sonic mainer to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i think ill let MC handle this one cause hes being serious about something for the first time in a long time.

@SP
yo, son, dont let this dude punk you, MC is seriously calling you out right now...
i hope you arent gonna just back down like a ****...

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
panda is being a ****ing idiot

since he has been involved in serious smash intel i have been against the idea that just because you are a mod you can do so much.

i swear to god, i will make you respect a low tier

respect a character

EDIT - with aim or iirc, here are options where save and things like other people viewing are available

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Empty threats won't take you anywhere... it won't do you any good if you represent the entire Sonic boards while you angry like this...

Oh God, no wonder Xsyven won't respond to answer my question I left him on his comment wall... I think he hates me...

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I am starting to understand why SP doesn't respect this board.

If you brag about Sonic forever, complain about all criticism, and refuse to explain HOW a person is wrong when their information is off but rather complain about it without evidence of your side, people disrespect you.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah guys, look what we have become...

...looking back... we were so God awful, I mean the banana thing was outrageous, but that doesn't make up to all the flaming we've done together...

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I am starting to understand why SP doesn't respect this board.

If you brag about Sonic forever, complain about all criticism, and refuse to explain HOW a person is wrong when their information is off but rather complain about it without evidence of your side, people disrespect you.
WE HAVE TRIED.

and no way am i bragging, at all.
it pisses me off when the the "sbr" doesn't take into consideration a character (low tier).

i fight for sonic because i know EVERYTHING about this character to date. I would fight for more, but i do not know enough. I have plenty of resources to back me on this

EDIT - i am really sick of being looked down on because i play sonic. its more an having him has a childhood hero, kinser. hes actually a good character. if peopel who make the rules ignore that, then what are we?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
WE HAVE TRIED.

and no way am i bragging, at all.
it pisses me off when the the "sbr" doesn't take into consideration a character (low tier).

i fight for sonic because i know EVERYTHING about this character to date. I would fight for more, but i do not know enough. I have plenty of resources to back me on this.
Then stop complaining and tell us what you know.

I know Sonic has more known technical knowledge than any other character. I know that in the entire time (2-3 weeks) I've been here, this knowledge is never, ever shared outside of the specific thread with it's name on it. This knowledge is not even shared when trying to correct the ignorance of others, helping noobs start out, or even when defending Sonic's abilities and standard tactics. Why is that?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Actually, the title of technical things to master would probably go to Link...

...Just saying.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
are you kidding?

i have expressed my "technical" intellect on numerous times to numerous people on this "technical" character.
**** everyone of you.

if i'm going to spend the time, ****ing pay attention

Top Bottom