• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's good moves and when to use them!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This used to be the "tier list" but in order to make this more useful, I shall list why these moves are so good/bad/average. This is in order of what moves are more useful than others. Its a work in progress

Oh yea, guys you think this new AT "Doop walking" will help Ike? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207154

It has to be smash stick, so that means no tilt sticking :\ but if Ike can do some good DW then maybe spacing ftilt will be even easier.

Updates:
11/21/08
Bair to Top tier from High by popular vote
Counter goes down to Low from Middle
Aether goes up
Bthrow and fthrow switched

11/24/08
Got locked and reopened
Changed The List to contain explanations of the move's greatness and flaws for Jab to ftilt
Add Dash Attack

11/25/08
Add description of Usmash
Made a reference list

12/3/08
Added description for Utilt, Dair, and bthrow
Put counter on the bottom of low

12/5/08
Added description for Uair, Dash attack, fsmash, eruption, and dtilt

12/19/08
Added the ratings

Legend:
Things in lime was written by Ussi
Things in Blue was said by Kirk
Things in red was quoted from Metroid

Safety: How relatively the move is save
Offense: How good the move is for offense
Defense: How good the move is for defense
Range: How good the reach is
Speed: How fast it comes out
Power: Knock back
Lag: Post lag (This includes IASA frames)

Jab

This move is Ike's saving grace in a lot of situations. It's a GTFO move, it can be followed up, and is great to follow up with to abuse IASA frames or combo with nair. It can even be followed up by itself.

Jab canceling is a basic thing and probably the most technically useful thing for Ike. This is how you follow up to more jabs or tilts. Jab cancel to eruption/fsmash are just great lulz and good to catch people off guard. Oh and it combos into dsmash at a low percent.

Safety: 9
Offense: 9
Defense: 9
Range: 4
Speed: 10
Power: 3
Lag: 1

Nair

This move is great. But what makes this move a god send, is the fact it auto cancels. It's like the aerial version of jab. It has great follow ups either into utilt, jab, or bair for TRUE combos. This move lasts forever, so it does wonders against air dodges. It can chase rollers going away or hit them as they roll to you.

Safety: 9
Offense: 8
Range: 6
Speed: 6
Power: 4
Lag: 1

Fair

This is what Ike stands for! His mighty range! This has the 4th largest aerial reach. Only outranged by Samus's zair, Link's zair, and ZSS's side B. It's hitbox is 200 degrees big (think circle). You can approach with this move generally by spacing it to the max. If you don't you'll be shield grabbed. When spaced to the max, you can abuse IASA frames before they can reach you.

Safety: 8
Range: 10
Speed: 5
Power: 6
Lag: 3 (in air its 10)

Bair

Fast, powerful, platform abuse awesomness, spammable at times, etc.. <3 Bair

Platform abuse branches off into being drop down bair or walk off bair. It auto cancels in a short hop. You can WoP with it! (Reference to Griever's combo video, Power Hungry)

Safety: 7
Offense: 7
Defense: 8
Range: 5
Speed: 9
Power: 7
Lag: 3

High

Ftilt

Great spacer and killer. Strongest ftilt in the game. Shut outs people's ground game who lack range. It can be angled up and down, however angled up does not have increased knockback as many other moves for other characters do.

Safety: 6
Defense: 7
Range: 9
Speed: 5
Power: 8
Lag: 5

Usmash

USmash - Ike's most useful smash attack by far, bringing his sword up over his head and crashing down behind him. It's hitbox is easily the largest hitbox for any USmash, and the total area is quite possibly the largest in the game. In fact, if you stand under the center of Battlefield's platforms, USmash will hit the ENTIRE platform; there's no need to guess where opponents will roll if they're over you, just stand in the middle and charge the attack. It's a staple if you want to stop opponents who roll behind you, sidestep, or airdodge when you get under them. It starts hitting on frame 25 (25/60 seconds after you input "USmash"), stops on frame 33, and has 20 IASA (interruptible as soon as) frames, allowing you to trick opponents who aren't accustomed to fighting an IASA-abusing Ike. This move, if fresh, will kill starting at the 100%s for middle-weights and even lower for light-weights and does a hefty 17% uncharged. Learn how to use this move and you'll watch your opponent fly.

Usmash gains a total of 37% in power when fully charged. That means it'll kill middle weights at 63% fully charged (Project Vertical Kills). So its pretty nice when you bait someone with a charging usmash. The only problem is that when you charge moves you will die 20% earlier from a move's normal killing %.

Remember to hit with the back side so you aren't in too much lag since your foe will be in shield stun later than if you hit in the front. Also the backside outranges Marth's Counter, funny lol.

Safety: 3 (front side hit), 6 (back side hit)
Offense: 4
Range: 5 (front side), 8 (back side), 10 (vertical)
Speed: 4
Lag: 6

Utilt

This is fairly fast, 13 frames to start it's hitbox. It has a lingering hitbox so it stops aerial approachs rather well. The sweetspot of utilt is nearly as strong as usmash. Only to kill 1% later. One of my favorites things to do is jab > utilt for the kill. Since the sweetspot is near strong as usmash, it's fairly good for killing at the 85%-115% (Use weight logic) You'd be surprise Ike's utilt is pretty strong. Still don't understand how a leg outranges a sword though...

Safety: 7
Defense: 7
Speed: 8
Power: 7

Dair

The 4h aerial strongest spike in the game. Overall 6th strongest spike (Ranking of Spikes). This move does well in it's job of spiking. My favorite thing to do with dair though, is hit people below me thru platforms. One of my most favorite things to do. It has a lingering hitbox, that sends up after the sweet spot is over.

Safety: 2
Offense: 5
Defense: 4
Range: 6
Lag: 8

Middle

Bthrow

Bthrow has more combo ability than Fthrow.

Most I use this move for is because it looks cool and to throw people off stage. Sometimes I'll attempt to dair a person. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, depends on their reaction to bthrow.

Uair

This is the longest lingering hitbox Ike has. This will outlast any AD and has better effects on bigger characters since it's harder for them to get out of the way. It contains a ton of power and since its aerial it kills sooner than the usually utilt/usmash. Also to note, grounded tall characters can be hit with this move by FF it into them.

And remember to yell out ROFLCOPTER when killing someone with it.

Safety: 6
Offense: 4
Defense: 6

Dash Attack

Ike's Dash Attack covers a lot of distance. It's great for tech chasing however, if you miss or get blocked, you taking punishment. You can follow up a bthrow/fthrow with dash attack. Its depends on how they land on the ground. They need to go into landing lag otherwise they'll shield it. Dash Attack is a really important move when dealing with Olimar since it can strike him if he whiffed a grab or is throwing pikmin.

Safety: 5
Defense: 0 [how the **** do you use this for defense???]
Power: 4

Fsmash

What Ike is known for! Killing mad early. This move, while very risky, is VERY REWARDING. However, don't spam it and hope someone will just trip into it. You must use MIND GAMES in order to be successful with this move. And well, I believe this move is a big part of Ike's utility as it strikes fear into people when it hits them. This move can make come backs. Say you are behind a stock and your foe is only 60%? Alright, whip out a fsmash on them and boom, the stocks are even.

But all this great things fsmash brings out, its not easy to do. People are not gonna roll into it or run into it. You have to really play tricks with the person. Fsmash is really really hard to set up in higher levels of play since people tend to have better habits and have better reactions than "OMG SPOT DODGE" repeatedly. Fsmash is an advanced Ike move. Beginners should not try using it.

Offense: 2
Range: 8
Speed: 3
Power: 10

Eruption

The replacement of flare blade. Just a little fun fact, Ike's sword is not even fire based, it makes shockwaves to attack from FAR AWAY. Yea Ike's Rangell really has a PROJECTILE... however Sakurai is stupid and tried to quell angry Roy fan boys with this...

Eruption has Super Armor Frames meaning you take damage but no knockback. This move is used mainly for intercepting attacks and dealing back damaging. This is the strongest move in the game (Minus countering-like moves, ie. Bucket, counter, etc) but its not like people are going to walk into a chargin eruption. The only time you hit someone with heavily charged eruption is when you're edgeguarding. Recoveries that do not sweetspot are great to use this on.

Safety: 1
Offense: 1
Range: 6-8
Speed: 2-0
Power: 5-10
Lag: 10

Dthrow
Fthrow

Low

Aether

Offense: 2
Defense: 5
Power: 1 , 3 (for a spike)
Lag: 7

Dtilt

I love dtilt. It's not that useful but it can play epic mind games on people. It shield pokes quite nicely, I've gone through nearly full shields with it just to hit the feet of the character. The taller/bigger the character the easier dtilt goes thru the shield.

It can also be used for spiking. Dtilt in fact is the 3rd strongest overall spike in the game. But also, the hit stun on dtilt is amazing (for brawl) however its not easy to follow up a dtilt.

Safety: 3
Offense: 3
Defense: 3

Dsmash

Offense: 3
Speed: 8
Power: 6 (first hit) - 7 (2nd hit)
Lag: 9

Quick Draw

Offense: 1
Speed: 9 (upon release)
Power: 3-7
Lag: 1 (whiffed), 10 (hit)

Uthrow
Counter

Safety: .....
Offense: 0
Defense: 3
Range: 7
Speed: 3 (For a counter move its slow)
Power: N/A

What do you guys think? Any changes you would make? We as a community need to determine what moves are best for Ike.

Reference List:

Power Hungry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3eox2XCSLo (2:35-2:40)
Project Vertical Kills: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156908
Ranking of Spikes: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199830

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
>_> Wtf at this fad...

in any case, Counter and Aether should be switched, and I use B-throw more than F-throw, but I like D-throw more than both of them.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Aether and QD should be higher.

Bthrow should be above Fthrow...that's my personal preference. In a given situation, I always choose Bthrow over Fthrow (more combo ability).

Bair should be top tier along with Jabs/Fair/Nair.

I think Uthrow should be higher too...

Dsmash and Counter are on the bottom methinks...

That's all I can think of at the moment.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Quick Draw should go above Down Smash, Counter and Dtilt. It's a recovery move and a mobility move, and will be seeing some use per match.

I'd argue that Fair is better than Nair, as it exemplifies Ike's great range.

I'd switch Ftilt and Bair, but both go hand in hand.

Dash attack for the lower section of high tier (You missed it). That stuff is too good.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Aether and QD should be higher.
Because they are situationally great, and still better than Dsmash and some throws...

Bthrow should be above Fthrow...that's my personal preference. In a given situation, I always choose Bthrow over Fthrow (more combo ability).
Bthrow has more combo ability than Fthrow. It may not throw as fast, but that's really as important imo.

Bair should be top tier along with Jabs/Fair/Nair.
Fast, powerful, platform abuse awesomness, spammable at times, etc.. <3 Bair.

I think Uthrow should be higher too...
It's good for its low knockback to better chase your opponent into a followup attack or a regrab upon landing. Dthrow I only use for killing...which in itself isn't really that great.

Dsmash and Counter are on the bottom methinks...
Dsmash sucks...way too laggy for its own good...and not terribly powerful either. Counter is counter...it's just...well yeah, it's counter. You know how it is. It's counter...

That's all I can think of at the moment.
You know you want to read that bold, italicized, AND underlined text. You don't care that it's hard to read. :D

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Unlike Burrito, I don't mind it.

Still though, I take full blame for messing it up...

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
your thing was worse kinzer. You didn't even do it right and you replied right in the middle of my paragraphs making it very difficult to tell who wrote who and where things started.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
your thing was worse Kinzer. You didn't even do it right and you replied right in the middle of my paragraphs making it very difficult to tell who wrote who and where things started.
That's why I said

I take full blame for messing it up...
Quoting myself is awesome. People who quote themselves unless it serves a real purpose are awesome.

Also I... ah forget it, at least you bothered to put the "Z" in my name...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

Jab
Nair
Fair Up 1. Most aerial range in the game besides projectiles, Zairs, and ZSS's Side B? Should be second best.
Bair

High

Ftilt
Usmash
Utilt
Dair Up 1. 4th strongest spike in the game + one of the largest, if not the largest spike hitbox? Overall, that's more use then Utilt's speed and vertical range.

Middle

Bthrow
Uair Due to how freaking strong it is, it's range, and very long lasting hitboxes, I'd say up 1.
Fsmash
Eruption
Dthrow
Fthrow Infinities > Eventual KOing power of Dthrow. Both have roughly the same combing potential when not counting infinities. Up 1 Dthrow should also be placed in the top of Low Tier. It's really not going to get used that much.

Low

Aether
Dtilt
DsmashUnder Counter. Counter will get used more then Dsmash. Dsmash has one use: Jab -> Dsmash at low %s. For anti-rolling, Usmash is better.
Counter
Quick Draw Up 2. While still crappy as a recovery, it's nice for trip free movement when the opponent is not within hitting range, platform mindgames, and getting back onto the stage after a ledgehop. Thats more then Dsmash can say.
Uthrow

Make a Bottom Tier for Counter, Dsmash, and Uthrow.

Those are my opinions.

XACE-K

Smash Master
U-throw's the worst!? It's a helluva lot better than QD because you can actually use it. For example

1. Jab cancelled grab
2. U-throw
3. ???
4. U-air (AKA: Profit)

...I emphasize this too much....

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
IIRC, you can react sooner after Dthrow then Uthrow though. And if you grab the opponent, you almost always have better options then Uthrow. QD actually has a situation or two where it's one of the better options.

XACE-K

Smash Master
IIRC, you can react sooner after Dthrow then Uthrow though. And if you grab the opponent, you almost always have better options then Uthrow. QD actually has a situation or two where it's one of the better options.
True but I actually use U-throw. I rarely use QD unless I feel like being unpredictable.

Anyway, my take on the list (AKA: Most used move to least moved),

Top: Fair, Jab, Bair, Dair

High: Nair, F-tilt, U-smash

Mid: U-tilt, B-throw, U-air, F-throw

Low: Aether, D-throw, Eruption, F-smash, D-tilt, U-throw

Bottom: Dash Attack, D-smash, Counter, QD

Atlas.

Smash Rookie
My Tier list for Ike's moves

Jab
Nair

High

Fair
Bair
Ftilt
Usmash
Utilt

Middle

Dair
Bthrow
Dash Attack
Uair
Fthrow
Dthrow

Low

Eruption
Fsmash
Aether
Dtilt
Dsmash

Bottom

Quick Draw
Uthrow
Counter

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I think quick draw should be higher, quick draw cancel is a good mindgame.

edit: this is directed at the OP

metroid1117

Smash Master
Dash Attack seems to be missing >.>.

The list looks accurate besides that though. If Dash Attack were to be added, I'd say it'd go in the top of Middle (where BThrow is now).

comboking

Smash Master
Fthrow is good it should be moved up a bit (F-Throw to DA)
U know whats fun to do? You know how if your opponent lands on the ground after the Fthrow and he Shields by the ledge and you hit him with your DA and he slides off and you do to do a Dair and kill him. There was a video of this along time ago but I can't find it. Situational yes. Useable yes.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjEbZSZ_R8o watch last setup

metroid1117

Smash Master
U know whats fun to do? You know how if your opponent lands on the ground after the Fthrow and he Shields by the ledge and you hit him with your DA and he slides off and you do to do a Dair and kill him. There was a video of this along time ago but I can't find it. Situational yes. Useable yes.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjEbZSZ_R8o watch last setup
Have you actually tried this? I was impressed by the video, but I don't think it would help Ike much because the hitbox for his dash attack either at his feet when he starts (which hits them up) or in front of him when it ends (which hits them out). This is theoretical, but it seems as though hitting with the first hitbox wouldn't be strong enough to send the opponent off-stage, and hitting with the second hitbox wouldn't send Ike off-stage (and there would be too much cool-down time to follow up with DAir).

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Make this thread into something useful. A purely vertical list says absolutely nothing since all moves are situational.

Palpi

Smash Hero
If this is stating the actual importance of the move, there should be a lot more in the mid tier because like Buzz said, all of the moves are situational. I think that all of his tilts expect maybe expluding his ftilt should be in middle, because of the pure situation usage of his abilities.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Guys, feel free to say anything about a move so I can add it to the move description. You know you want to get quoted in this. I'll be editing this tomorrow when I have time too.

metroid1117

Smash Master
USmash - Ike's most useful smash attack by far, bringing his sword up over his head and crashing down behind him. It's hitbox is easily the largest hitbox for any USmash, and the total area is quite possibly the largest in the game. In fact, if you stand under the center of Battlefield's platforms, USmash will hit the ENTIRE platform; there's no need to guess where opponents will roll if they're over you, just stand in the middle and charge the attack. It's a staple if you want to stop opponents who roll behind you, sidestep, or airdodge when you get under them. It starts hitting on frame 25 (25/60 seconds after you input "USmash"), stops on frame 33, and has 20 IASA (interruptible as soon as) frames, allowing you to trick opponents who aren't accustomed to fighting an IASA-abusing Ike. This move, if fresh, will kill starting at the 100%s for middle-weights and even lower for light-weights and does a hefty 17% uncharged. Learn how to use this move and you'll watch your opponent fly.

XACE-K

Smash Master
its a new AT, think it'll help Ike (Who has an average one)? I think ftilt might become more useful using this. However, we'll lose tilt stick if we do this.
It's the same thing as pivot boosting. I haven't seen many Ikes pivot boost so what's the point of this? Besides, you can use tilt stick with pivot boost which makes this more useless for Ike.

Top Bottom