• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's good moves and when to use them!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
First response to Doop Walking: O_o Great. Now the metagame is going to have everyone spinning around like tops.

Apparently, you can do any tilt out of this easily, so Dtilt will be easier to land in battle I guess. I don't see how it would help ftilt much besides spinning away once and then throwing it out for mindgames. I'd rather have my C-tilt though.

comboking

Smash Master
Have you actually tried this? I was impressed by the video, but I don't think it would help Ike much because the hitbox for his dash attack either at his feet when he starts (which hits them up) or in front of him when it ends (which hits them out). This is theoretical, but it seems as though hitting with the first hitbox wouldn't be strong enough to send the opponent off-stage, and hitting with the second hitbox wouldn't send Ike off-stage (and there would be too much cool-down time to follow up with DAir).
yes, it works on some characters. I did it to snake (you have to use the right DA hitbox) or you can foot stool jump off of snake's head and then grab him out of his up then grab release and watch the magic

Palpi

Smash Hero
I think down tilt could be a wee bit higher. D-tilt is a bit difficult to land on your opponent because it is slow and has small hit box (generally) but other than spiking offstage at like 30% (estimate) you can dtilt then instantly go into a ftilt, sh fair or jab cancel combo.

I agree with others, saying the doop walking really doesn't have much effect, because the smashes are too slow to hit anyway and the tilt stick can give you more effective tilts, but niether is really a necesity.

I would much rather get good at doop walking for mindgames then use tilt stick, so I am going to practice that for the next few days. I would like to utilize Ike's tilts more, because they are some low % kills.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
It's the same thing as pivot boosting. I haven't seen many Ikes pivot boost so what's the point of this? Besides, you can use tilt stick with pivot boost which makes this more useless for Ike.
I haven’t tested it yet, but people say it is much easier to perform it than pivot boosting. I would say it is useful, as Ike moves faster while Doop walking than normal walking though he isn’t as fast Marth. So, why not? We will be moving faster and spacing better with our tilts and jabs still at our disposal. I'm considering letting go of walk-off Dair (again).

comboking

Smash Master
Just run jump and then Dair instead of walk-off.
it's an okay alternative (not the same whats so ever

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yeah, i think if doop walking turns out to be really effecting with spacing walk off dairs will be long forgotton, but good alternative :)

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I’ve tested it, and haven’t found any use for it. It is as the description says at the OP’s video demonstration: a neutral doop walk. In other words, Ike doesn’t receive any boost from it and you can’t perform walk-off Dairs anymore.

comboking

Smash Master
oh yeah I guess your right

If you hold down lightly on the control stick, you won't fastfall while doing an aerial. It is more difficult this way than with c-stick set to attack, but preferable, at least for me.

And he means doing the pivot until you fall offstage and dair. I guess.

o_o
Is this true?

Palpi

Smash Hero
I would suggest tilting in other direction then using cstick, but really I have no idea how it works.

Hopefully if this is proven correct, we can have walk off down airs, and doop walking. EVERY BODY WINS!

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Lightly tapping the control stick does work. But why risk something like that? Just keep attack stick lol. There are lots of situations where you may need to do a dair with no downward DI in a quick reaction.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I still get like 1/4 of my dairs are nairs on attack sticking. If you walk off dair and it comes out as a nair, you WILL not get back.

Palpi

Smash Hero
ive been practicing doop walking and i mean against a comp it kinda works

but past mind games i cant see it being completely beneficial as a legit technique i mean approach with a jab combo or ftilt but it doesnt seem to be worth the thinking in an actualy match

Palpi

Smash Hero
Man, I am still practicing doop walking, and i guess retreating ftilt cant be good 100~% killer, but i guess it is just so unfamiliar to me, i cant comprehend, more practice i guess.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
because this way Ike turns around over and over. If he walks then he faces the other way. I think this gives a slide to attacks too doesn't it? Can this be done with the attack stick btw? I didn't bother reading the whole doop walking thing.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I gave up on attack stick, I would like to use doop walking to the best of its abilities but as I see it now atleast for Ike it can't go further than mindgame and maybe spacing, given the right amount of time.

I have been manually practicing walk off dairs and it has been going good, but I can't see myself in a tense match doing that and surviving lol. Practice helping but utilizing your practice into a match can be a hard transition.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
because this way Ike turns around over and over. If he walks then he faces the other way. I think this gives a slide to attacks too doesn't it? Can this be done with the attack stick btw? I didn't bother reading the whole doop walking thing.
Maybe you can buffer an Ftilt, but you won’t perform it while sliding.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Maybe doopwalking can be used to get turned around Usmashes in more easily? Seeing that the back has more range and all. It's a way to set it up without being committed to it along with built-in mindgames. Maybe it would work with Dsmash as well (but Dsmash it probably too slow still....)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
His Fsmash is his best move. Use it all the time. Every time you charge it someone will trip into it.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I have further ventured into Ike's doop walking and I noticed that low % nairing then doop walking forward for a f-tilt is actally fairly effective. I think it could be more useful if Ike's jab wasn't recurring, but it also can be used out of a combat walk when your opponent DI's out of it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Hey guys, I've added rating to the moves. I know there are probably some numbers wrong, so care to correct me?

Top Bottom