• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wings and Brew VI: Name TBA - Columbus, OH - FIRST POST UPDATED WITH NEW RULES!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Wings and Brew VI
Date To be Announced, 2010

Wings and Brew is a local Columbus, Ohio restaurant with some of the best wings and pizza in the Midwest region. The tournament is run by yours truly, along with help from local players, the owners of WaB, and my girlfriend. What makes Wings and Brew special is the food. There is no venue fee at this tournament, so instead, there is a $5 mandatory meal fee that gets you a few slices of pizza (and an additional $1 will get you all-you-can-drink soda). These events have a first-come, first-serve cap of 24 entrants. You may not sign up until a date is formally announced and since you do not own a spot, you may not trade it. This is done so that everyone who does show up is essentially guaranteed the best tournament experience possible. Our average setup-to-competitor ratio through 5 events is 1-to-3. There is no better place for practice, friendlies, and free play then a Wings and Brew tournament.

After the event is over (8-9PM) we can all stay to eat, drink, and hang out. We will also have a couple setups for the entire night to use for draft crews, money matches, and friendlies. Draft crews is a tradition that started back at WaB I. Once the tournament finishes, we clear away most of the setups, begin ordering pizza and drinks, and start choosing crews. Typically we hang out and play for several hours after the tournament is completed. Around midnight, the venue will shut down, and goodbyes must be said. WaB is a special experience that anyone will tell you is nearly unparalleled in the Smash community. I guard this tradition of excellence and fun with a passion. Come join in the fun, excitement, and community that is Wings and Brew Pizza!

*New to WaB VI is the Amateur Teams Competition. Information is located at the bottom of the page!

2167 N High St
Columbus, OH 43201

When you get close to the venue here are some things you should look for.
1) The Lane/High intersection contains a Shell gas station, a CVS, and a Buffalo wild wings all on different corners.
2) The list of places, in order, by Wings and Brew on the block between Lane and W Norwich, running along high street, and directly across from CVS, is: Buffalo Wild Wings, The Nut House (closed), some random barbershop, Jimmy Johns, Wings and Brew, The Library (a bar), Dominos, and finally the Little Bar.

Schedule
Date TBA, 2010

11:00AM - Warm up/Set up
12:00PM - Teams Registration
12:30PM - Teams Bracket Begins
3:00PM - Singles Registration
3:30PM - Singles Pools Begins
6:00PM - Singles Bracket Begins
8:30PM - Tournament Completes (Pack up all but 2 setups)
9:00PM - Draft Crews Begins
11:30PM - Close (Pack up remaining setups, say goodbyes)

Old Schedule Assuming 32 People and 4 TV's
Old Schedule Assuming 32 People and 8 TV's

Money
Mandatory Meal Fee: $5 (you get some slices of pizza for this)
Voluntary Infinite Soda Fee: $1 (pay at register, soda all day for this)
Entrance fee for Singles (1v1): $10 per person
Entrance fee for Teams (2v2): $20 dollars per team
Wings and Brew T-Shirt: $16 (1 Small and 8 Larges remain)

Singles Payout
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Teams Payout
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%

General Rules
•3 Stock
•8 minute timer
•Bring your own controller
•Items are set to "off" and "none"
•All sets are best of three
•Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals are best of 5
•No player may choose the stage they last won on in the set, unless agreed upon by both players.
•In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors (RPS)
•In the event of a dispute, team controller ports will be chosen via RPS. The winning team of RPS gets first and last selection of ports. The losing team gets the second and third selection of port.
•Any action that can prevent the current game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that game for the player that initiated the action, regardless of intent.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing will be allowed
•Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned. In the event this tactic is witnessed, however brief, it will result in the immediate forfeit of the current stock. A judge can be called to enforce and handle this issue.
•The method known as 'planking' is banned. In the event this tactic is witnessed it will result in the forfeit of the current game. A judge can be called to enforce and handle this issue.
•The method known as 'scrooging' is banned. In the event this tactic is witnessed it will result in the forfeit of the current game. A judge may be called to enforce and handle the issue.
•Infinite chain grabs must end after 250%. If you are in an infinite chain grab and your percent exceeds 280, then your opponent automatically forfeits the current game. You may pause the game without the opponents consent when this threshold is reached as proof that you are still being held in the grab.
•If a game ends from a suicide move then the match will end as per the results screen. In the event of a tie, play an overtime game.
•If time runs out the winner will be determined in the follow order:
1. Player with the highest stock wins
2. If stocks are tied then the player with the lowest percentage wins
3. If both stock and percent are tied then play an overtime match

*An overtime game is defined as a 3 minute, 1 stock game played on the same stage with the same characters as the tied match. In the event an overtime game ties again, then double overtime will commence. This will continue until a winner is determined.

*Planking is defined as using Meta Knight to camp under the edge of a stage with a combination of air attacks, so as to make him untouchable by the opponent.

*Scrooging is defined as using Meta Knight to camp under the entire stage with the repeated use of the glide maneuver from one side of the stage to the other, so as to make him untouchable by the opponent.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match*
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure using the Starter Stages
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Starter Stages (for stage striking)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Counter Pick Stages
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise​

Player Conduct Rules
•Failure to report to your match within 5 minutes will result in a loss of 1 game
•Failure to report to your match within 10 minutes will result in the loss of the set
•During a match, if a player spends more than 1 minute to decide on a stage or character for the next game, then a judge may be called over to hurry the decision up. If a decision is not made in a time frame at the judges discretion, then a loss of the next game will be incurred.
•Players may not attempt to manipulate pools or the bracket. In doing so you will be DQ'd and banned from future events. This is at a judges discretion.
•Players may not attempt to report false match scores. In doing so you will be DQ'd and banned from future events. This is at a judges discretion.
•Players cannot quit or pause a match without consent of the opponent. Failure to adhere to this may result in the loss of the current game.

Bracket and Pool Information
Teams
Teams will be run with a double elimination bracket, seeded by Wings and Brew Points and location.

Singles
•Pools will be divided by WaB Series points and by location
•Brackets will be seeded by pools and location
•Pool ties will be broken as follows:
-If set wins are tied between 2 (two) people, then whoever won the head to head match advances (or gets the higher seed)
-If set wins are tied between 3 (three) people, then whoever has the better game record continues (wins minus loses), if two people are tied in their game record then head to head is used. Example, if P-A beats P-B 2-1, and P-B beats P-C 2-1, and P-C beats P-A 2-0, then the results would be:
P-C is the first seed
P-A is the second seed
P-B is the third seed
-If all three players are tied in sets and games then an overtime match will be played

Judges
These are local Columbus players who are allowed to make decisions on my behalf and to help run the tournament, which includes updating the bracket, settling rule disputes, and promoting a friendly atmosphere. A Judges decisions may be overruled by me alone. Judges may use spectators as witnesses in order to resolve issues regarding Meta Knights Infinite Cape, scrooging, and planking, along with any other issues that may arise. If you are called as a witness you must speak truthfully, failure to do so will have consequences.
  • TheKiest
  • SneakyTako
  • Quivo
  • Z
Past Wings and Brew Events: A History
Wings and Brew I: Smokin BBQ - 24 Singles, 8 Teams
Wings and Brew II: Chicken Teriyaki - 26 Singles, 8 Teams
Wings and Brew III: The Mckinney Pizza - 32 Singles, 12 Teams
Wings and Brew IV: Season I Championship - 24 Singles, 8 Teams
Wings and Brew V: Sweet Smokn' BBQ - 20 Singles, 8 Teams

Wings and Brew Season I Final Rankings (Events I - IV)

Attendance and Setups
This event is capped at 24 entrants. A final list will be announced 24 hours prior to the event that will not be changed regardless of new openings.
Attendance List
TBA
Setup List
TBA

Maps and Contests
Parking Map
New parking information coming soon!

TV Drop Off Map

If you are dropping off a TV you can use either the front or back entrance to Wings and Brew. You can pull your car just in front of the business and turn on your hazard lights and then directly unload the TV straight into the venue. If for some reason there are to many cars parked there then you can also use the back of the venue, which means taking two side streets. Follow the blue lines.

Amateur Teams Contest
-Entry Fee-
Free with entry into the Brawl Teams event at Wings and Brew VI!

-Winner Gets-
Winning team receives $10 ($5 per person).

-How to Enter-
The highest placing team composed of players with no previous appearances in the top 3 at a Wings and Brew event.

-Deadline-
TBA, 2010 - During the Teams competition​

*The rules and information located in this thread are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer (Chris Brown) reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion.

*Wings and Brew Pizza Co., Chris Brown, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will Chris Brown, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue and being present during the course of the event you are admitting your adherence and agreement with this rule.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely come to this, probably alot of michigan with me also

lou4222

Smash Lord
This is amazing AZ. Unfortunately I would be unable to house anyone, but could definitely bring my setup. Anything you need help with just let me know. I have season tickets for basketball and we play at home on the 21st and the 7th. The buckeyes have a road game on the 14th . The 28th is the only date where there is no OSU bball game.

King~

Smash Champion
i would love to come, i would just need housing and a ride from and to the greyhound station.

whatever weekend in febuary works for me

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm going to ask them about potential food specials tonight. I can probably get them to sell slices of pizza for a buck, but I think it would also be cool to have a Smash special of like 8 wings for $5 or something (or maybe 6 wings and a soda?).

Kel

Smash Master
Cool. Sounds good. Get a date going.

only holding 20-30 people though is scary. Doesn't sound like a huge potential tournament.

QUIVO

Smash Master
20-30 people is what it usually is around here isnt it? I can only think of a few tournaments that have broke that number

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Shrug, we can squeeze 40 or so into the place, but I don't want everyone to be cramped so I'm debating capping at 32, or simply not capping hoping that 60 people don't show up. Honestly, if it works out and we get a good crowd of 20-30 then we might be able to make this a monthly thing (assuming Wings and Brew agrees, which they said they would but I warned them to see how this first event turns out before making decisions on future events). Part of the reason I believe the MD/VA area to be so strong and popular is simply because ChuDat holds his biweeklies (which, honestly, he fits like 50 people in an area the size of Wings and Brew but it is cramped usually (standing room only for most people)) and C3 holds a monthly tournament. I want the midwest to get really good, but everyone is so spread out...I think central Ohio though has the most potential for getting people better because its like a 2 hour drive for Cinci and 3-4 for the Michigan guys. Shrugz.

If I don't cap I'm not going to turn anyone away (obviously) but by the same token if more people show up then the venue can hold the tournament experience won't be as great as it could be if it were capped at say, 32. I'm fairly certain we can get 6-8 set ups, which would be amazing for 32 people (tons of playing for everyone ALL day long).

QUIVO

Smash Master
We could easily have 8 set ups. I Just don't know about those tvs that are hanging up. I feel that people would have neck cramps form looking up while playing.

nojoes

Smash Ace
who cares about neck cramps.

NE Ohio would def come. And I'd bring 4%. and eat lots.

why are we waiting till Feb?!?!? I want this now!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Because I'm going to MD for most of December and I need to check my schedule for the New Year in January. Plus the business is all about sports/football, and they wouldn't want this occurring on a weekend/day when there is an important sports game (IE NFL playoffs/College Bowl games).

Nope

Smash Lord
This sounds awesome! I can bring some setups to this as I'm only about 30 min away. If people are interested in housing and everyone in Columbus is full I can gladly house whoever the night before and we are only a small distance to go in the morning.

T-800

Smash Apprentice
There's a fairly decent chance that I could bring myself and a small group of OUGAers (4 total, probably) to this, depending on the time of day the tournament takes place. I have to work early on Sundays (like...get up at 3:30 and leave at 4:30), so depending on when the tournament started (noon or so would be bliss) will affect the decision.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this!

Edit: What's the parking situation like for this place?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Updated first post.

We need to talk food specials-how do these sound?
$5 for 6 wings and a soda (infinite refills)
$1-$2 for a slice of pizza (they have really high quality pizza so it might be $2 a slice)

Basically, my goal is that you can get two meals during the day for LESS than $10, which is a good bargain (example, get wings for lunch along with the soda, then get 2 slices of pizza for dinner still using the soda you had purchased earlier).

There is also alcohol (beer) for those over 21.

4% APR

Smash Champion
Eating wings is really gonnna screw up my hands but it would be worth it

Count

Smash Champion
If anybody from the Indianapolis area is planning on going let me know! I'll pay gas money haha. Wings+brawl is too good to turn down.

Nope

Smash Lord
Updated first post.

We need to talk food specials-how do these sound?
$5 for 6 wings and a soda (infinite refills)
$1-$2 for a slice of pizza (they have really high quality pizza so it might be $2 a slice)

Basically, my goal is that you can get two meals during the day for LESS than $10, which is a good bargain (example, get wings for lunch along with the soda, then get 2 slices of pizza for dinner still using the soda you had purchased earlier).

There is also alcohol (beer) for those over 21.
OMG this all sounds awesome! Good priced food a nice venue close to my house I will be there for sure

Nope

Smash Lord
AZ I will probably be bringing at least 3-4 other people and I can bring another setup as well. I also can house at least 5 maybe more if you don't mind the floor. Can we also not have this on the 7/8th of feb because thats when Clash of The Titans 4 is

KAT0N

Smash Apprentice
Venue sounds great, and its only like 30 minutes from where I live.

Count me and The Jerk in (even if he doesn't know it yet). I can bring a Wii and possibly a TV. Hopefully by February I will be good.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Put me + 2 down as a maybe

I also may be able to drive kyosh or hop on the same grayhound bus.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
I'm in, but I have to teach on some weekends. For Saturdays in Feb. that means the 7th and 28th from 10AM to 1 PM. I have two buddies, as well, and possibly two setups? What would it take to get tourney registration squared away if the window conflicts with working?

Top Bottom