• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wings and Brew VI: Name TBA - Columbus, OH - FIRST POST UPDATED WITH NEW RULES!

e__

Smash Ace
Would the day before the superbowl work for renting the place, or is there a basketball game?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Chris tell me when this is going down so I can plan son
I have **** I need to run in February and this would be a tournament that I need a date for

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I'm in, but I have to teach on some weekends. For Saturdays in Feb. that means the 7th and 28th from 10AM to 1 PM. I have two buddies, as well, and possibly two setups? What would it take to get tourney registration squared away if the window conflicts with working?
7th and 8th of Feb are eastern coast regionals and I know that would remove king yoshi, beegs, and myself from the attendees. I'm thinking of hosting my own tournament in akron late feb/ early march and hopefully posting fliers around akron u to get as many scrubs there as possible. To set up my tourney though, I need to know when this is going down as well as (hopefully) Test Your Might IV.

7th and 8th of Feb are eastern coast regionals and I know that would remove king yoshi, beegs, and myself from the attendees. I'm thinking of hosting my own tournament in akron late feb/ early march and hopefully posting fliers around akron u to get as many scrubs there as possible. To set up my tourney though, I need to know when this is going down as well as (hopefully) Test Your Might IV.

That...would be truly epic...

Just an FYI I do want to get a tournament going on around here in Wooster / West Salem area but the venue has been my probably. I'm still searching for a well enough place to do this at. The ones I have seen are way to expensive and would make the venue fee too much. I'll make a separate post about this later on in Feb.

sathenzar

Smash Rookie
We have 3 people wanting to join.
Sathenzar
DoctorHair
Chowbots
Date of tournament??

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Agreed, I haven't been visiting this restaurant as much as I did in the winter and the employee who I was friends with has since gone to another job. They are likely still interested, but I have to find the time to show my face around and set things up.

sathenzar

Smash Rookie
Ok, well just let us know we're near Dayton so this would definitely be worth the drive if we could get something setup. Anyone know of any other single brawl tournaments going around Ohio within the next 3 months?

King~

Smash Champion
^^^^

TYM in cleveland on march 7th

Nope's Monthlies in Springfield on march 21st

Loves last stand in Athens on Febuary 21st(yea next weekend)

and maybe a Midwest circuit event

and my little Monthlies

lou4222

Smash Lord
If you are near Dayton you should consider pm ing Mholtz and some of the Springfield guys. We have established a pretty solid community in Clark county. Also Dayton plays several times a week at Sinclair Community College. They often come to Springfield to play with us as well. Both of those threads are in the Midwest forum. PM us so you can smash with us!

sathenzar

Smash Rookie
That would be awesome, I'd love to find more people to play with and I know my other two friends I posted would as well. Chowbots does play at sinclair community college but I didn't know it branched out that far. I will definitly be pm'ing all of you for more info.

Nope

Smash Lord
Don't forget springfields midwest event April 11th! I expect to see everyone there no exceptions =p A thread will be up soon

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
OKAY!

I just talked with the guys at Wing and Brew, we are all set for February 28th, from 11:00am until 9:00pm. If for some reason the tournament takes longer than that to complete then we can finish the event at my apartment which is less than a 2 minute walk away (1 minute of which is usually spent waiting for a walk light at an intersection). I'm not kidding, less than 2 minutes from the venue.

The prices:
$10 to enter singles
$10 per person ($20 per team) to enter doubles
$5 required "food card" - this is basically in place of a venue fee, where you get a $5 meal (its a restruant so we might as well have some great food).

I'm going to talk to the guys at Wings and Brew again tomorrow because they thought one set "$5 meal" wasn't good enough and they wanted to give you guys 2-3 options on meals.

In addition to this (since its just 1 meal and we will be there for about 9 hours and people will want other food) there will be dollar slices of pizza/other specials going on. I do not want to see (and I will kick you out) outside food in the venue, its okay if you go eat somewhere else but don't bring it into their business. Furthermore, if you are going to get more food anyways (likely for most people) then try and buy it from Wings and Brew because they are supplying the venue and IF THINGS GO WELL THIS COULD BECOME A REGULAR TOURNAMENT.

One last note is that since this is for the first time I am CAPPING the attendence at 32. People that already posted they are going I would like to see 100% confirmations from. Also it would be nice if you noted whether you are entering just singles/doubles, because if you aren't entering doubles and there are some straglers I would like to enter them into doubles.

We NEED set ups, I am shooting for 8, but for 32 people I can be happy with 6 (best reasonable ratio of people to set ups is obviously 1 person for every 4 set ups). There are 3 tvs in the venue already but they are mounted on the wall and would be a strain to use, so I would much prefer we simply provide 8 TV's of our own.

I will post a map regarding parking sometime in the next few days. I will also post rules sometimes this weekend. The rules will probably be more limited than most MW tournaments but will definitely have the stages like Jungle Japes/Brinstar/Rainbow Cruise.

I may also use this tournament to test the "70 edge grab" rule, which limits people to grabbing the edge 70 times in a game, and if they exceed the number and the time runs out then they lose. I'm not particular interesting and/or care about planking (nor do I really think it should be banned) but I do want to test this rule. If for some reason you are worried about this potential rule then listen up: go test it! Check how many edge grabs you do in a normal game. I would bet money it is less than 20. It is probably also less than 10. I did about 20 matches the other day and I only exceeded 10 3 times, my average was probably about 7 edge grabs.

T-800

Smash Apprentice
I may be kind of Brawled out after this weekend, but we'll see next week.

Could you update us on the parking situation please? I'm extremely (but reasonably so) paranoid about parking situations.

lou4222

Smash Lord
parking will no doubt be difficult, but AZ said he would be getting parking maps. I know there is parking in the Gateway, which is about a ten minute walk, but its incredibly reasonable. There are also many many side streets west and east of high street that have free parking on weekends, but generally fill up on weekends.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Quivo...you have got to be kidding me...work all day or from what time to what time because obviously doubles/singles start at different times. Also, this is about a less than 1 minute walk from where you work, so maybe you could take "breaks" from your work just to play your tournament matches (with me calling you to get you to the venue when you need to be).

Reinhart_x

Smash Apprentice
Put down The Jerk and Katon as being confirmed. Man it's been a while since I've had wings...too long...oh yeah, and this "brawl" thing sounds fun too. :psycho: See you guys there. :bigthumbu

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
T-800: YOU GOTTA COMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE also, do not be paranoid about parking. I have solutions. I'm stupidly organized and careful about planning stuff and I will make a gif map detailing parking areas near the venue.

Soap: come to your first Brawl tournament !!!!???

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Important info:
item 1-
Stages

Starter (for stage striking)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter pick stages
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Lylat Cruise
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
Rainbow Cruise

---
item 2-schedule
Time
Schedule with 4 TVS:
-Double elimination 16 team doubles bracket
-Double elimination 32 man singles bracket
11:00AM: Doors open-registration singles and doubles begins
12:00PM: Registration closes
12:30PM: Doubles bracket - WR1 H1 (Stations 1-4)
12:54PM: Doubles bracket - WR1 H2 (Stations 1-4)
1:18PM: Doubles bracket - WR2 (Stations 1-4)
1:42PM: Doubles bracket - LR1 (Stations 1-4)
2:06PM: Doubles bracket - LR2 (Stations 1-4)
2:30PM: Doubles bracket - WR (Stations 1-2) 3 & LR3 (Stations 3-4)
2:54PM: Doubles bracket - WF (Station 1) & LR4 (Stations 2-3) - (LR5, LF, and GF occur later)
3:18PM: Singles bracket - WR1 H1
3:42PM: Singles bracket - WR1 H2
4:06PM: Singles bracket - WR1 H3
4:30PM: Singles bracket - WR1 H4
4:54PM: Singles bracket - WR2 H1
5:18PM: Singles bracket - WR2 H2
5:42PM: Singles bracket - LR1 H1
6:06PM: Singles bracket - LR1 H2
6:30PM: Singles bracket - LR2 H1
6:54PM: Singles bracket - LR2 H2
7:18PM: Singles bracket - WR3
7:42PM: Singles bracket - LR3
8: 06PM: Singles bracket - LR4
8:30PM: Singles bracket - WR4 & LR5
9:00PM: We move the tournament back to my apartment - whoever is still left and their rides are allowed to come. Everyone else will have to watch the videos when they get put up. Obviously we NEED more than just 4 set ups-but this should let everyone see the math of EXACTLY the best you can run a tournament of 32 people (and 16 team) with this many set ups. There should be 6 people left in the Singles bracket and 6 people remaining in the Doubles bracket (3 teams). Likely some of these 6 people will be in both brackets, so I'm assuming it will be roughly 9 people left in the tournament (maybe 1 or 2 less or more).

Schedule with 8 TVS
-Double elimination doubles bracket
-8 pools of 4 with 2 people advancing into a 16 person double elimination singles bracket
11:00AM: Doors open-registration for singles and doubles begins
12:00PM: Registration closes
12:30PM: Doubles bracket - WR1
12:54PM: Doubles bracket - WR2 & LR1
1:18PM: Doubles bracket - LR2 & WR3 (2 tvs available for free play)
1:42PM: Doubles bracket - WF & LR4 (5 tvs available for free play)
2:06PM: Doubles bracket - LR5, WF continue & pools 1 (2 tvs), 2(2 tvs), and 3(1 tv) start
2:30PM: Doubles bracket - LF & pools 1, 2, and 3 continue play
2:54PM: Doubles bracket - GF & pools 1, 2, and 3 finish
3:18PM: Singles pools - pools 4 (2 tvs), 5(2 tvs), 6(2 tvs), 7(1 tv), and 8(1 tv) begin play
3:42PM: Singles pools - pools 4 (2 tvs), 5(2 tvs), 6(2 tvs), 7 (1 tv), and 8 (1 tv) continue
4:06PM: Singles pools - pools 4 (2 tvs), 5(2 tvs), 6(2 tvs) finish - 7 (1 tv) and 8 (1 tv) continue
4:30PM: Singles pools - pools 7 (2 tvs) and 8 (2 tvs) finish -(4 stations available for free play)
5:00PM: Singles bracket - WR1
5:24PM: Singles bracket - WR2 & LR2
5:54PM: Singles bracket - LR2 & WR3 (2 tvs available for free play)
6:18PM: Singles bracket - WF & LR4 (5 tvs available for free play)
6: 42PM: Singles bracket - LR5 and WF continues (7 tvs available for free play)
7:06PM: Singles bracket - LF (7 tvs available for free play)
7:46PM: Singles bracket - GF (7 tvs available for free play)
8:45PM: tear down and pack up - then we can all eat dinner at wings and brew to discuss the event

*Pools will be divided by MW Circuit points (from last season) and by location
*Brackets will be seeded by pools and results, a 1st seed who was 3-0 in sets and 6-0 in games will have a higher 1st seed than one who was 3-0 insets but 6-2 in games.
*Pool ties will be broken as follows:
-If set wins are tied between 2 (two) people, then whoever won the head to head match advances (or gets the higher seed)
-If set wins are tied between 3 (three) people, then whoever has the better game record continues, if two people are tied in their game record then head to head is used. Example, if P-A beats P-B 2-1, and P-B beats P-3 2-1, and P-C beats P-A 2-0, then the results would be:
P-C is the first seed
P-A is the second seed
P-B is the third seed
-If all three players are tied in sets and games then sets will need to be replayed to break the tie.

---
item 3
Money
Entrance fee for singles: $10 per person
Entrance fee for teams: $20 dollars per team ($10 per person)
Mandatory meal fee (call it a venue fee but you get a meal): $5

Singles Payout
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Assuming a 32 person bracket
$310 in the pot
1st: $148.8 = $149
2nd: $68.2 = $68
3rd: $43.4 = $44
4th: $24.8 = $25
5th: $12.4 = $12
5th: $12.4 = $12

Teams Payout
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%

Assuming 16 team bracket
$310 in the pot
1st: $170.5 = $171
2nd: $93
3rd: $36.5 = $36

So, why this payout scheme? Because I think its important to spread the wealth deep instead of just at the top. This tournament is more about the experience of eating wings and enjoying Smash can letting 1 or 2 people make huge bank. 6 people from singles get money, 6 people from doubles get money.

*I am going to be 100% honest here-I am running this tournament. I am NOT taking any money to run this. However, since I am running it I will NOT be paying the singles/doubles entrance.

---
item 4-
•If time runs out the winner will be determined by the following
1. If one player has over 60 edge grabs (edge grabs are recorded automatically in post-game statistics) that player loses by DQ. If both players have more than 60 edge grabs then go to number 2. Note-this rule is to curb the potential for "planking".
2. If 1 has note occured then the player with the highest stock wins. If stocks are tied then the player with the lowest percentage wins.
3. If both players are tied in stock and percentage then a 1 stock overtime game will be played on the same stage with the same characters.

Explaining the edge grab rule: I'm testing this rule out to see if it will ever even come into play. I request that everyone try and keep track of your edge grabs in the tournament so this number can be adjusted up or down for future events. In all the testing I have done (by testing I simply mean playing like I normally do) I've never even exceeded 20 edge grabs in a game and I think my average is about 7. Most (actually all) of you will have similar averages. This is to discourage planking and excessive use of edge play. Yes, it is an arbitrary rule. I am aware planking/edge camping is not broken. This rule needs testing though, and I also think it may have some positive benefits. Essentially, don't play with fire (using the edge and **** ton) and you won't get burned. The game keeps track of your edge grabs automatically and displays it at the end of the game in the statistics.

soap

Smash Hero
this is the same date as the first melee circuit event at purdue.

if for some reason i am too busy to travel i may come hang out here instead.

its up in the ayyyiiir for now

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Quivo: you will probably have to miss doubles (unless only like 16 people show up) but you should be more than good to do singles.

I want 8 set ups and 32 people at this event. If that happens it will be AMAZING. If we only get like 28 people or so that would also be fine.

WE NEED SET UPS! Our goal is 8 (eight) TVS and Wii! If you only have a tv or a wii bring it just in case we need it!

Top Bottom