• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boost Grabbing - Do it.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
What is a boost grab you may be asking?

It's basically a dash attack canceled grab, rather then upsmash =p

How to:

Dash, down c-stick (or A) then Z, quickly, (no 'up' lol)

You can also pivot grab like this, which makes snake's pivot grab even MOAR broken, (go against Olimar, you can grab him like this

reverse:
S = Snake
--- = space apart
O = Olimar

S---------------O

like... wtf? theres almost an entire 'bowser length' between you two O_o (just barely better then a normal pivot grab, and harder to do. rofl)

Why do it?

1. Go to training mode and do it, then do a normal grab... notice that HUGE bump you get from the DAC part of it? Yah, you just got like... 2 times the grab range.

2. I haven't been able to hit with the dash attack, then grab them... still trying ;) won't that be sexy?

No more normal grabs, got it? Only boost grabs, rofl.....

-minimal testing done, seems better, not sure if everyone already does this xD I don't think so, putting it out there-

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Snake's grab game is pimp, any extra ways to grab people is good. I'm gonna try this out for mindgames right now.

Nic64

Smash Lord
an easy way to pick this up would to be to secondary falco for a while as he uses it a lot too, but yeah, snakes boost grab doesn't really look like much until you actually pay attention to how much farther away you're able to grab them from, it's actually pretty ridiculous.

Lawlmahbawls

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, at first I was like "wtf I see no difference."

Then after a few tries switching between normal and boost I was like "Brooooooooooke"

SuSa

Ya... lmao

Like I said, its about 2x the length of a dash grab O_o

Pivot grab, theres very little difference and its harder to do, so not worth it....

but normal grab.. this ***** <.<

I was lurking the Falco boards when I saw something about boost grabbing, then I remember 'oh yah, Snake's pivot grab is broken.. what if this makes it MOAR broken?' *goes to test* nah... but what about without the pivot? *tests* ohshi-'

^ my initial reaction

I take no credit at all, just throwing it out there =p I see no point to doing a dash grab anymore... just boost grabs xD

napZzz

Smash Hero
Maybe the fast fallers can be cg'd? Or is it a combination of their gravity err however you would refer to how floaty or fast fally they are and jump heigh from the grab release. Idk. I never thought about testing this loolz

SuSa

1. Explaining in a video wouldn't do anything, although I could show it. If my computer had internet so I would be able to convert the file and host it.

2. Read the thread, I verified it. He can. It must be an air release (stop pummeling before he breaks out) then dash and boost grab, Falco should land just as you grab him.

SuSa

Yea, still grounded.

But able to use our second laptop when my stepdads not home.

So I'm unable to use my computer, which has the video converter so I can host things on youtube, and countless things I wish I could copy paste =p

SuSa

My favorite part is when the opponent magicly snaps into your hands.

It's like "COME HERE" (...so I can snap your neck) taken to a whole new level....

Seriously, try this on Olimar, and try to be as far as possible but still grabbing him. He stands there, then magicly snaps into your arms..

Snake has an invisible tether grab.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
the CG on falco has been known for a while
the only REAL good use of it is if you have a mine on the stage....b/c falco cant move untill he hits the ground...so just grab realese him across the stage untill he lands on the mine and just Uair him or something

SuSa

I never knew about it, and no..

another REAL good use is the fact it can lead into dash attack as well.

grab release until near the other side of the stage (if you're stupid and didn't ban FD) then grab release into a dash attack.

that seems like a LOT more damage dealt overall then trying to get 'lucky' with a tech-chase. It can also allow you to grab release chaingrab him closer to a mine, to space for a dthrow tech-chase, because he won't roll into the mine.

I can think of several applications, and I'm betting we can CG other characters as well.

edit:

All those pummels can REALLY freshen your moveset up

EDIT:

Seems we can also CG Fox? He doesn't break as far either

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
I never knew about it, and no..

another REAL good use is the fact it can lead into dash attack as well.

grab release until near the other side of the stage (if you're stupid and didn't ban FD) then grab release into a dash attack.

that seems like a LOT more damage dealt overall then trying to get 'lucky' with a tech-chase. It can also allow you to grab release chaingrab him closer to a mine, to space for a dthrow tech-chase, because he won't roll into the mine.

I can think of several applications, and I'm betting we can CG other characters as well.

edit:

All those pummels can REALLY freshen your moveset up

EDIT:

Seems we can also CG Fox? He doesn't break as far either
that has no use....dthrow does more damage then a dash attack and dthrow leads to more stuff
and dthrow techchase doesnt work near a mine b/c ppl can roll over the mine and not get hurt....it would have to b perfect spacing which is too hard to do with a grab release

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
On Falco this can work as a kill move. Chain release him to the opposite corner of the stage and then downthrow, then uptilt (provided he's at high damage and hovering over the no space area)

edit: although perfect spacing seems to be required here. don't know haven't tested anything yet lol.

SuSa

that has no use....dthrow does more damage then a dash attack and dthrow leads to more stuff
and dthrow techchase doesnt work near a mine b/c ppl can roll over the mine and not get hurt....it would have to b perfect spacing which is too hard to do with a grab release
So refreshing your moveset is useless?

Depending what % the opponent is, this is more damage.

You can't always do a perfect dthrow techchase, sometimes you'll **** up. With this, it requires no reading at all. Hence, easier overall damage. It can end in a dash attack, which if fresh, can kill. Last I checked, dthrow cannot kill.

Also, the perfect spacing can be hard, BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE, and I do it often, yes from a grab release it will be HARDER but still NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

The fact you can choose to do a down throw, means you can do this from the center of the stage, to the edge, then start your down throw tech chase.

They have the same options as anywhere else, but rolling towards the edge means if you shield, their roll can be cut shorter then usual, and their ****ed no matter what. --- A BETTER SITUATION OVERALL--

you're reminding me of the Link boards right now, god****. Stop having the mindset of 'its worthless/too situational' and use it.

I was told that BACL/BAL for the Link's was worthless, but guess what. Near edges, which you can BAL someone to an edge, it can KO most of the cast, even with good DI (not GREAT DI, just good) at around 80-90%. it can be setup at any % below 150%, and is extremely easy to setup. Yet, I'm the only one 'foolish' enough to use it.

I use things many people deem 'worthless' or 'useless' or 'too situational', and because of that, "Havokk has one of the strangest, but most efficient playstyle I've ever played against". I've had several people say that to me.

Reason why?

I find uses. I don't just think 'oh, just because 60 people said it was worthless, it must be' to me, that says 'oh, 60 people -didnt try hard enough- to make it worthwhile.

If someone can PROVE with undeniable, hard tested, evidence that it is useless, or not worthwhile, I'll go off it. But just saying it isn't? Then stating poor evidence of 'dthrow does more damage', when in fact, that is not ALWAYS true.

This can do anywhere from 10~ to 30-50~. dthrow does what... 11%? nice ****ing math.

Just wondering. Does not snake have an infinite CG on anyone if he dthrows them at the veryedge of the stage? So if you could apply an airgrab release CG to the ledge then I think you can uptilt out of the dthrow to finish it 0%-death CG grab?

SuSa

Most characters have a quick enough aerial (mostly bair or nair) to escape that 'infinite' because they have 0 hitstun.

My friend tried eveyway out as Peach, then stumbled upon 'nair hits Snake out of it' so I wasn't able to do the 'infinite' anymore.

So it's not the entire cast, but still some people's bairs are to slow, or give snake damage, but no knockback 'grab armour'

Utilt is to slow (7 frames) and many bairs/nairs are quicker then 7 frames, so they should be able to escape it.

but it can work.

so yes.

Most characters have a quick enough aerial (mostly bair or nair) to escape that 'infinite' because they have 0 hitstun.

My friend tried eveyway out as Peach, then stumbled upon 'nair hits Snake out of it' so I wasn't able to do the 'infinite' anymore.

So it's not the entire cast, but still some people's bairs are to slow, or give snake damage, but no knockback 'grab armour'

Utilt is to slow (7 frames) and many bairs/nairs are quicker then 7 frames, so they should be able to escape it.

but it can work.

so yes.
What about jabs? I do not know how quick Snake's jabs come out, but air release CG to ledge > downthrow > A A A must have some very good applications? It sets up for an edge guard game at least.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
So refreshing your moveset is useless?

Depending what % the opponent is, this is more damage.

You can't always do a perfect dthrow techchase, sometimes you'll **** up. With this, it requires no reading at all. Hence, easier overall damage. It can end in a dash attack, which if fresh, can kill. Last I checked, dthrow cannot kill.

Also, the perfect spacing can be hard, BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE, and I do it often, yes from a grab release it will be HARDER but still NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

The fact you can choose to do a down throw, means you can do this from the center of the stage, to the edge, then start your down throw tech chase.

They have the same options as anywhere else, but rolling towards the edge means if you shield, their roll can be cut shorter then usual, and their ****ed no matter what. --- A BETTER SITUATION OVERALL--

you're reminding me of the Link boards right now, god****. Stop having the mindset of 'its worthless/too situational' and use it.

I was told that BACL/BAL for the Link's was worthless, but guess what. Near edges, which you can BAL someone to an edge, it can KO most of the cast, even with good DI (not GREAT DI, just good) at around 80-90%. it can be setup at any % below 150%, and is extremely easy to setup. Yet, I'm the only one 'foolish' enough to use it.

your not gonna kill a falco with a dash attack for along time...if a falco lives to have that much damage against you...your doing something wrong

perfect spacing is wayyy to hard...b/c its not like you can choose were to catch them...you have to get lucky where you start the 1st grab happends to land in that exact spot

if you wanna ever get better at the game you gotta practice techchasing...quitting on the for a free dash attack is pretty aweful...if your actually good you will be able to do TONS of damage with techchase...no matter which way they roll....b/c most characters can be boosted grabed if they roll towards the front...so go practice that and it even works on more characters then just falco

random talk about link boards?? i could care less about the link boards...dont bring in a random situations

you just learned about it...thats why your all jumpy about it....i've already tried this out for a while since ive known about this for a while...it is practically worthless..sorry to burst your bubble

and i know on the snake boards you like to act like you know everything....but you dont...so plz stop acting like you do

SuSa

Jab hits to high on a lot of the cast.

Ftilt can work, and utilt -might- work if they don't know how to escape it (few people do suprinsingly)

It can work, but its not a 0-death unless you grab your opponent at around 60-70% and pummel 3-4 times each grab release, and just happen to end at the edge....

Jab hits to high on a lot of the cast.

Ftilt can work, and utilt -might- work if they don't know how to escape it (few people do suprinsingly)

It can work, but its not a 0-death unless you grab your opponent at around 60-70% and pummel 3-4 times each grab release, and just happen to end at the edge....
Yeah after the idea of no uptilt I am not thinking there is a way to 0% to death, just thinking of more applications.

useless edit: This is irrating to try to do. I keep placing a landmine after the air release.

SuSa

your not gonna kill a falco with a dash attack for along time...if a falco lives to have that much damage against you...your doing something wrong

perfect spacing is wayyy to hard...b/c its not like you can choose were to catch them...you have to get lucky where you start the 1st grab happends to land in that exact spot

if you wanna ever get better at the game you gotta practice techchasing...quitting on the for a free dash attack is pretty aweful...if your actually good you will be able to do TONS of damage with techchase...no matter which way they roll....b/c most characters can be boosted grabed if they roll towards the front...so go practice that and it even works on more characters then just falco

random talk about link boards?? i could care less about the link boards...dont bring in a random situations

you just learned about it...thats why your all jumpy about it....i've already tried this out for a while since ive known about this for a while...it is practically worthless..sorry to burst your bubble

and i know on the snake boards you like to act like you know everything....but you dont...so plz stop acting like you do
1. Fresh Moveset - You give me no evidence putting down this point.

2. I do ****ing tech chase, don't bring my player skill into this, that has little to do with this. No matter how ****ing good you get at a tech chase, unless you can guarentee the next grab, thats 11%, only. If you want to talk about 'dthrow does more' then I'll bring out the 'the opponent knows how to avoid a tech chase' card, its to ****ing player dependant. Got that much?

-- get up, get up attack, do nothing, roll behind you, roll away. get up attack @ 100 % percent. --- 6 options --- shielding limits 5 of those options, however doesn't completely negate them.

that leaves them 6 options from a down throw.

Okay, so we have 6.

Grab release -- no options, its guarenteed

6 options, 0 options. I'm already starting to prefer one over the other...not because of ease of use, but because its guarenteed

If you read the 'random talk from Link boards' you'd see how it's applying to you right now.

Link me to some information you've provided for the Snake boards, then compare it to mine. Then ask yourself who has more of a life? You, or the guy who lurks Smashboards for about 8 hours a day, and posts a lot, reads a lot, contributes a lot, tests a lot, practices Smash a lot, and finds uses for things that people just like you deem as worthless, working on a way to throw it out in their face and say "haha, found a use."

By the looks of it, you have about 1/4 my postcount, joined just a few months before I did, and are in the Snake BRoom, much like myself. I can't think of a single contribution you've given to the Snake boards off the top of my head.

Before you try to put down others, how about build a foundation for yourself first. Before saying " you know ****" you try and actually contribute some crap, show me what **** you know.

In the "everything you need to know" thread... I don't see your name next to a single thread. So please do enlighten me, what do you know?

Le gasp, a contribution... sorta

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6105455&postcount=35

I like how it says its good, and that was only roughly a month ago.

RATED

Smash Lord
I have been trying this since an hour and I am starting to get mad! lol I can't the only thing it do to me is a ****ed dash attack

SuSa

I have been trying this since an hour and I am starting to get mad! lol I can't the only thing it do to me is a ****ed dash attack
Press Z faster then. It might take a bit of practice to get the timing down.

Also try pressing A rather then C-sticking Down, I find that easier to time. (I press A and Z at roughly the same time) Not sure why, but it's easier for me.

Press Z faster then. It might take a bit of practice to get the timing down.

Also try pressing A rather then C-sticking Down, I find that easier to time. (I press A and Z at roughly the same time) Not sure why, but it's easier for me.
Although if you press A instead of C stick watch out for the fact that you might forward smash instead of anything else if you press A too quickly, c-stick is normally just safer.

Top Bottom