• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
You have to charge it on stage. As long as you end your last down B on stage, you should be able to use it once off stage to recover.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
kazoo: dude im sorry bro, i have problems wif it. im cutting my bell of soon ecause of that. srry again X.x

smashgod: ZUP BIAAATCH!!

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
What i do is i do a misfire (way better than green missiles, use these instead ;) ) and then during the lag animation i start tapping b as fast as i can. Sometimes it takes a second to get up to speed and by then you lost too much height, so practice just doing it without side b cause sometimes ull need it, but with side b is so much easier.

Oh and what pakman said

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Just practice practice practice practice.

Everyone does something different. Boss will press it with his index finger really fast. I just press it with my thumb really fast (I prefer to not have to change my grip so that I can do it in any situation).

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I didn't go to singles because I had very little fun (shoutout to theLake for double yoshi teams, really the only enjoyable part of the tourny for me).

After teams pools which started late, it took FOREVER to get doubles brackets started.

When they finally did start I was pissed when I had to play local teams in doubles. This was a national level tournament and I played Magus(PA) and Tec0(NJ) first round and DoYoung and TehSpammerer (both NJ and used to be in the same crew as me and my partner, copycat) second round.

Also, people at that venue need to learn microphone etiquette. Everyone who had a microphone was either too loud, too obnoxious, too annoying, or any combination of those.

Afterwards, I hung out in CT with Mogwai at his place. The one hour I spent with him before I went to bed playing league of legends was roughly 58912470389 times more fun than Apex. Considering that, I decided to hang out in CT for the rest of the weekend and skip singles. It was mad fun and I regret nothing.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
so pakman, as it turns out, vanz plays too.

i think we could DESTROY as soon as i get to 30 and runed up.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
so pakman, as it turns out, vanz plays too.

i think we could DESTROY as soon as i get to 30 and runed up.
I have been invading your turf and playing Zilean. That guy is just awesome.

But for serious, we should get a SWF team.

Shotgun Nasus.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I have been invading your turf and playing Zilean. That guy is just awesome.

But for serious, we should get a SWF team.

Shotgun Nasus.
Pakman: Nasus
Mogwai: Pantheon
Vanz: Morgana
prog: Zilean
Spife: Shaco

...hmm, sort of legit.

TheLake

Smash Master
Thelake - Amumu

<3 Pakman and nasus

Duders whats your accounts in LOL

we gotta rough it up somtime

Spife

Smash Master

...hmm, sort of legit.

I started picking up TF (again, even though mine is very low quality) and twitch (also pretty meh, both compared to my shaco who is also just above meh :bee:) because the community has a lower then 50 iq and doesn't know **** about Shaco so he gets banned all the time.

inb4 QQ'ing. He probably deserves his ban on paper but he's not OP.

ALso am looking into picking up Warwick annnnnnd Akali (as well as that minion you can buy in hte shop named Eve)

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Hi Pakman! I've lurked this thread pretty much since it was made, made an account some months after and still lurked lol, finally went to my first tournament at Apex. I didn't expect to win a game, and rightfully so, I got destroyed by like, everyone. Also, playing Mango/Lucky in your first match in doubles pool in your first ever tournament is not a good way to start out =/ It was fun as hell though.

Anyways, if I'd known you were there I would have captured you with my ultra ball and forced you to teach me Weegee awesomeness. On the second day of Apex I just gave up on spacies, sheik, etc. and was like, **** it, I'm gonna play Luigi and try to be like Pakman. I actually started winning games, since people are kinda nervous about the match up sometimes. I pulled off a chain grab --> jab reset --> shoryuken a couple times on spacies and c-falc, made me so happy lol. I've basically been playing non stop Luigi since Saturday, can't wait till the next tournament I go to. Anyway, I have a question. WTF do you do in these situations:

Fox: Like, 80% of the people I played at Apex would just dash at me, SH n-air into double shines, and repeat. How do you even get out of this, and how do you capitalize on it?

Doc: Pills.... Pill approach, pill camp, etc. I just suck at this match up.

Apart from that, the main reason I was losing with Luigi was simply my inexperience at tournaments, it was a lot of fun learning from the best though. Idk if it was you or not (since idk what you look like), but there was this Luigi (I'm not sure which day it was, might've been Friday or Sat) that was just playing RIDICULOUS on the projector and ****** everything. Any idea who it was?

Wow, long first post.

Vist

Smash Champion
I didn't make it to Apex till reaaally late friday. Missed out on the man of paks :(

As far as I know, Winston, Vudujin and myself were the only luigis there on Sat/Sun.

on a side note I probably played like 324902803497509237 foxes this weekend. Thought I was good at the match up but most of my losses came from close (but no cigar) sets vs them :urg:

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
I didn't make it to Apex till reaaally late friday. Missed out on the man of paks :(

As far as I know, Winston, Vudujin and myself were the only luigis there on Sat/Sun.

on a side note I probably played like 324902803497509237 foxes this weekend. Thought I was good at the match up but most of my losses came from close (but no cigar) sets vs them :urg:
I played you! In friendlies, your luigi was really good too! I was under the tag que Charles, if you happen to remember. You taught me some things on spacing and stuff against spacies, but you destroyed my pathetic falco =/ Yay for Luigi mains.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Idk if it was you or not (since idk what you look like), but there was this Luigi (I'm not sure which day it was, might've been Friday or Sat) that was just playing RIDICULOUS on the projector and ****** everything. Any idea who it was?
Vudujin was playing a lot on the projector, so it was probably him. That guy is mad underrated.

btw, did I play you at Apex? I played someone who said they had just picked up Luigi. I played mostly Mario and one game of Luigi.

As far as Fox goes... the matchup is tough to deal with, but I think your most basic defense from the SH nair train is to space yourself so that you can wavedash back or dash back into grab or downsmash when he runs at you with nair. Shield if you misspace/don't have time to do this, and mix up your roll/wavedash oos to get away and try to reset the situation. If you are at low percents crouch cancel downsmash will often work vs sh nair.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Vudujin is really good. He discovered the wd fireball ledge trick.

Against nair shine approach there is very little you can do. You can try lightshielding to have it push you out of range from the shine and then wd out of shield after the shine and go for an ftilt grab or dsmash.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Vudujin is really good. He discovered the wd fireball ledge trick.
Vudujin is legit, I watch him at pound 4. Did he play with our group of Luigis at pound 4?

But if you mean when you WD off the ledge and fly off when you shoot out a fireball, I discovered that. <3

Also, Flono, register in the Luigi finder, read the guides, and welcome. :D

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Vudujin was playing a lot on the projector, so it was probably him. That guy is mad underrated.

btw, did I play you at Apex? I played someone who said they had just picked up Luigi. I played mostly Mario and one game of Luigi.

As far as Fox goes... the matchup is tough to deal with, but I think your most basic defense from the SH nair train is to space yourself so that you can wavedash back or dash back into grab or downsmash when he runs at you with nair. Shield if you misspace/don't have time to do this, and mix up your roll/wavedash oos to get away and try to reset the situation. If you are at low percents crouch cancel downsmash will often work vs sh nair.
Yeaah! I played you too, I remember. You played all Mario, then the last game you played Luigi, your Luigi was quite good too (for some reason I thought you were moonwalking when you were just WD then dashing afterwards, it looked weird lol). I had just picked up Luigi at that point lol, thanks for the tips! I know it feels weird to say, but I feel like my Luigi got SO much better after Apex, and it's only been like a day lol. Can't wait till the next tournament.

@smashgod - Okay, I'll register in the finder.

edit: How do I WD oos? Just input the WD while shielding?

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
For WD OOS yes its just the normal wd, just practice holding R after a wavedash and youll go into shield then do the wavedash motion again and repeat, i found it a bit easier to practice this way for some reason, because i guess i got the rythm, then just do it from standing shield, its really not that hard. Also for docs pills, can't you just down b through them, or since they are full hopped i like to wavedash between them, thats fun. but i *think* down b will clank with them and leave u free to do whatever right after the collision. Someone good correct me if im wrong.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yes, DownB fists should clank most projectiles. Pretty much everything but like... lasers and maybe fully charged charge shots?

But yeah, don't bother if they're full hopped. :p

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
<-- Tier ***** akshually

...hmm, sort of legit.
I actually am finally over it and don't play Pantheon at all any more. When he's buffed back into something worth playing, I'll play him, but I'm not going to bother until then.

Pretty much all Kayle, Garen and Amumu at this point, though I have a mix of Heimer, Annie and Xin in there.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

But if you mean when you WD off the ledge and fly off when you shoot out a fireball, I discovered that. <3
I discovered it too independently. I thought nobody knew about it until I saw Boss do it. (And Vudujin at this tournament.) How can you be sure you were the first one to discover it?

I'm sure I wasn't the first one, I just feel like a lot of people discovered it separately.

Not that it matters much for a mostly useless trick.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I remember showing it to Redd back in '06, but there's no way of knowing who the first one was, I guess.

It's not useless! Use it on Fox/Falco recovering horizontally right above the ledge, or one someone else if you wanna mess with them by leave a fireball up there forcing them to stay down while you Fair them, or let the fireball drop them into your Fair!... or something. :p

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
I remember showing it to Redd back in '06, but there's no way of knowing who the first one was, I guess.

It's not useless! Use it on Fox/Falco recovering horizontally right above the ledge, or one someone else if you wanna mess with them by leave a fireball up there forcing them to stay down while you Fair them, or let the fireball drop them into your Fair!... or something. :p
I was trying this out just now on CPUs lol, it's quite gimmicky but it works sometimes. It's A TRAP FIARBALL. Sometimes the spacies phantasm right into your fireball, and you can jump up and b-air/f-air them right out of the stun lol.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Exactly. Unfortunately, most spacies are smart enough not to recover straight towards Luigi @__@
Well I think you have to mindgame them into making them want to aim for the ledge, because that's when you can fireball gimp. Like, if they're recovering high each time, then punish them with an aerial, and if they're coming low with the up -b to grap the edge from underneath, edge hog then aerial off the edge. Doing this early in the match might force them into phantasm'ing straight towards the edge, which is when you can do some sexy fiarball b-air gimps. At least that's what I THINK, I've had absolutely no chance to test this out yet on a real person playing a spacie.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
In all honesty, fireball gimp isn't the best option if they're going to phantasm straight at you. I prefer it to mess up their UpB charging state because it doesn't matter where they go.

If they're going for a straight on phantasm, either Ftilt them back off and repeat/Bair from there for easy kills (they don't get a jump!) or let them land and shoryuken/Usmash.

P.S. I updated my Luigi guide after like 13 and a half months!

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Pakman, I am sorry to hear that Apex wasn't as boss as ####. Sowwrry. :(

Vudu was not in the mix with us. This one I am taking to the bank.

Flono, welcome to team Weegee!

In other news, I'm officially a Georgia Tech Grad! =D

And I now have a lagless TV to smashturbate on! =D

But no one to play with. :(

EDIT: For those who have seen me irl, aren't Prog and I separated @ birth. I thought so, but I wanted your guy's take.

Vist

Smash Champion
Congratulations @ thegreatkazoo. Hopefully I'll be graduating soon also, it's long overdue.

I played you! In friendlies, your luigi was really good too! I was under the tag que Charles, if you happen to remember. You taught me some things on spacing and stuff against spacies, but you destroyed my pathetic falco =/ Yay for Luigi mains.
Yeah man, I definitely remember. It was cool meeting you (I don't think I realized you were a luigi main actually?)

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Vist, I watched a couple minutes of your set vs Lucky.

YOU SO GOOD, SON

I'll watch the whole thing when I get home from work.

When are we playing again?? D:

don't SD this time

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Congratulations @ thegreatkazoo. Hopefully I'll be graduating soon also, it's long overdue.

Yeah man, I definitely remember. It was cool meeting you (I don't think I realized you were a luigi main actually?)
At that point I wasn't lol, but when I saw how good everyone else actually was with spacies, on Saturday I was like, screw it I'm gonna main Luigi. I actually started winning games, and I've been addicted to Luigi since then.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Congrats on graduating! :D

And yay for lagless TVs!

Wazoo are you gonna do that character vs character tourney thing over again?
Thanks plenty. :blush:

I'll pick the 16 chars I want and flesh out the details hopefully tonight.

Thankee.

Vist, I watched a couple minutes of your set vs Lucky.

YOU SO GOOD, SON

I'll watch the whole thing when I get home from work.

When are we playing again?? D:

don't SD this time
Haven't got to plow through the APEX vids yet, which are coming out on a blindingly fast rate I must say. Props to the uploaders. :bigthumbu

Prog and I are still separated @ birth. I'm putting my foot down on this.

And you guys should be definitely thinking about coming to Tipped Off 6. I'll be there if I am not employed or @ an interview, that is certain.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I was going to town on Luigis at Apex :demon:
Vudujin was still edging me out by a .5 - 1.5 stocks for the most part though in friendlies

Come to Pound 5 so I can get my revenge!
Along with the rest of you Luigi mains

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
*gasp*

I just realized that I actually did play Pakman at Apex. Here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiB4gGvV9FE

I was the red Sheik..... we were doing pretty well the first match on FD till my teammate decided to team up with Pakman and do up-tilt into TOE OF PAIN combos on me lolz (@ 4:59). I kinda got depressed at that point even though we still had a good chance of winning. I just let my nerves of being in my first tournament get to me the 2nd match, not to mention Pakman played better (check out his sexy mindgames of jabs into shoryuken on my shields @ 9:59).

GG Pak, can't wait to show you my Weegee next time we meet up somewhere. Unfortunately, I didn't start playing Luigi until the next day, and it wasn't nearly as good a Luigi as I have now (it's only been a few days, but I feel I got SO much better). LUIGI + ZELDA COMBO WILL INFLICT PAIN AT NEXT TOURNAMENT. TOE - SHORYUKEN COMBOS FTW.

<3

EDIT: Here's Pakman's other pools match, some really nice Luigi playing there. Note the light shield edge guard on Marth on BF in the first game, so sexyyyy.

Whoa, also notice the WD --> Shoryuken punish on Peach's d-smash. Take THAT overly spammable move! Pak your Luigi is soooo good omg, it's orgasmic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DCUXvYEL1s

I also have your doubles matches against Mango/Lucky Pak, I can post those too if you want. I thought you guys were gonna win the 2nd match early on, you were both playing very well.... then Fox's shines happened..... ew.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Genius idea:

Double Luigi in doubles.

Get a stock or two lead on Battlefield

Luigi ladder stall under the stage.

Results.

Or do it towards the end of the match when you have a lead just to be safe.

Top Bottom