• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OUGA's Back to School Special!

TheKiest

Smash Champion

PLEASE READ ALL THE FOLLOWING BEFORE DECIDING TO COME OR NOT!

This event will have Singles, Crew, and Singles Pools.
I have always wanted to do a Crew tournament. Now it will happen!!!!
We will do doubles if there is enough time. There should be since we have the venue until 10 AM Sunday!!!

LIVE STREAM CREW TOURNAMENT!!!!!

Class Schedule
Saturday August 8th, 2009.

Singles Pools: 12:30 or 1:00 PM
Singles Bracket: 3:30-4:00ish ish
Food Break: 6:00 PM
Crew Tournament: 7:00 PM
Doubles: (Time Pending with Class Participation)

Class Rooms

Ohio University Morton Hall Room 115 (We will have signs inside saying where to go from each entrance)
Van Vorhes
Athens, Ohio
What is really annoying... is that this address doesn't work too well on Google Maps OR any GPSs, so instead follow the direction for the building NEXT to it.

Google Maps Link
This link will actually take you to Shively Hall which is next to Morton Hall (where the Tournament is). Morton is the very large building in that area. This link is a campus map of the area:
http://www.ohiou.edu/athens/greens/scentral.html
I will probably put a picture here soon.

Shively is number 54 and Morton is 78. You can park in the lots right outside of Morton.
This link is for a campus map of places to park:
http://www.ohiou.edu/athens/parking.pdf
The numbers are the same as before. Please park in the Purple or Dark Green Zones to avoid getting ticketed. These zones are free to everyone on Saturdays and after 5pm on Fridays

FOR THOSE USING A GPS AND ARE TOO LAZY TO PRINT OR WRITE DIRECTIONS:
Put in this address:
59 East Green St. Athens, Ohio. 45701

Then when you arrive, there will be a massive parking lot right next to the above address, park there and enter the large building.

Diplomas
Singles Payout
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4% + 1 dollar
6th: 4% - 1 dollar
(Possible evil plan to make 5th and 6th battle for said dollar, time pending)

Crew and Doubles Payout
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%

School Fees
1$ - Casual (Friday)
$10 - Singles
$5 - Crew Tournament, 20 per team
$5 - Doubles, $10 per team (Time pending)

Note: If you are going to this event but not playing, you should not preregister. Only people who are playing in these tournaments will pay. Free for everyone else.

How to sign up for classes

REGISTER HERE

Class List

http://www.originalupholdersofthegamingarts.com/roaster_tourne.asp
Preregistration List

School Rules
Singles and Doubles
* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Dave's Stupid Rule: No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* Iggy's Stupid Rule: You may not pause the match yourself. If you absolutely need to pause, it must be done so at the consent of your opponent.

* No show DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. There should be no excuse for not being there when your match is called because all the food you need is in the venue for you.

* Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

* Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Crew
4v4
3 stock
Double Elimination
Feel free to team up with anyone if your crew is not big enough!

Procedure
When registered, Crews write their team captain name.
The the starters Stage Strike the stages until there are 3 stages left.
Those 3 stages will be set on ORDERED for the remainder of the crew fight.
Team then writes down players and characters, then chooses starter.
THESE CHARACTERS ARE FINAL FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE CREW MATCH!
The winner of the starter keeps his lives, the other crew sends in the next player at 3 stock.
JV Stock rule applies, but players cannot start with more than 3 lives.

Match ends when all members of a crew lose.

TIME TO SEE WHO THE BEST CREW REALLY IS!!!!

Recess

This year's Casual Tournament will be the OUGA Reverse Tournament!

Recess Rules

3 stock
Regular Stage List
First round, players must use each others main character.
2nd round, Loser picks stage. Then loser can stay or use opponent's secondary. Winner can switch character.

META KNIGHT AND SNAKE CANNOT BE SECONDARIES!!!!!!!
While this characters can be mains, these characters are bullies and are usual in detention. So they can't play all the time. They can be mains.

Players will be given an index card with their characters written on the card. Before the stage strike, players trade cards. When the match ends, the cards are returned to their rightful owner.

Recess will start at 9:00 PM on Friday.
1 Dollar Entry!!!!
Payouts will be
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%-$1
4. $1

Set format (In Order of Procedure)
For Singles, Recess, and Doubles.
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first

Pools:

Pools will be divided into groups of 8 for first round, 4 for second.
These 8 will play against each other in a best of 3 (as if it was a bracket match like listed above).
The player who has won the most sets (one match equals a set of 3) gets the first seed in the bracket.
The player who has won the second/third most sets gets the second/third seed in the bracket, respectively
The player who has won the forth/fifth most sets gets sent to round 2 of pools to compete for the 4th seed in the bracket.

*If two players tie for the amount of sets won, whoever won that match-up has precedence.
Example:
OS wins 7 sets and POPS wins 7 sets, but POPS lost to OS: OS gets 1st seed, POPS gets 2nd.

**In the strange case of a 3-4 way cycle ties (see example). The tie will be broken by amount of total wins minus total losses of each game.
Example:
Capem has 5 set wins, TYR has 5 set wins, Keist has 5 set wins.
Capem beats TYR, TYR beats Keist, Keist beats Capem (due to Kirbicides, and random claws from Halbred... lolz)
However.... lets say we have this:
Capem: 10 Wins - 6 losses = 4
Keist: 10 Wins - 11 losses = -1
TYR: 10 Wins - 8 losses = 2
The different number of losses occur from the different set results (Capem won more 2-0s than Keist and TYR did)

If a tie still remains... then the players in the cycle will do a death pool. Until a winner is chosen.

LONG STORY SHORT:
If you want to get out of pools for sure, don't lose any games! Even if it means you still when the best of 3! I will personally check each pool before making the bracket, regardless of what others tell me the results are.

In the event that a player forfeits or is disqualified before pools are finished, then that player losses 0-2 to everyone in his/hers group. Even if they played each other already.

Nope's No BS Rule: By participating in this tournament you give the Tournament Operator and their affiliates the right to film, photograph and record your name, nickname, pseudonym, persona, picture, biographical material, voice and/or likeness and to use the same in any manner or media in connection with the Event to broadcast, reproduce, distribute and exhibit such photographs and/or recordings, in any manner whatsoever, by any and all means, media, devices, processes and technology now or hereafter known or devised anywhere in the universe at anytime in perpetuity.

Seamus McFly's Sportsmanship Rule:
If a losing player ends the match with "No Contest" (pausing and ending the game) after they lose their final stock but before "GAME" is called, that player is subject to consequences ranging from forfeit of that set to disqualification from the competition. Consequences can be avoided by apologizing to the other player for robbing them of a victory screen. Also, Excessive displays of rage over losing matches (shouting, controller throwing) will not be tolerated.

In other words, be respectful to the game and the players.

School Supplies

Neutral: For Stage Striking

- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Lylat Cruise
- Smashville
- Yoshi's Island
- Halbred
- Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick

- Brinstar
- Castle Siege
- Delfino
- Frigate Orpheon
- Jungle Japes
- Pictochat
- Pirate Ship
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- Rainbow Cruise
- Distant Planet
- Green Greens
- Luigi's Mansion (pipes)
- Port Town Aero Dive
- Yoshi's Island pipes (Pipes)
- Norfair

Rest of stages banned.

Featuring
Commentary from Seamus McFly and TheKiest! Yes we are at it again.
Movie Theater Size Projector for Finals! (And special matches too).

Lunch Menu
Wendy's Subway, Jimmy Johns, and Chipotle are within walking distance with other places within 5 minutes driving. (It is a college town after all)

Links
The Trailer

Facebook Event
Smash Boards Tournament Listing Thread
All is Brawl

LIVE STREAM CHANNEL - Coming Soon!

Pictures:
http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/p...0Last Stand/
http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/p... Tournament/
http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/p...0Championship/

Housing
I will be staying over in Morton Hall (the venue) FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY NIGHT. If people come early, you are welcomed to stay there too.
We have to be out by Sunday 10 AM.

The venue isn't really suppose to do this... but we have the rooms from about 8-4 am Friday night and 8 am Saurday till 10 am Sunday. This means we can have about 20-25 stay at the venue.
1. TheKiest
(Will add more later)

Hotels (If needed):
http://hotel-guides.us/colleges/ohio...niversity.html

Campgrounds (Within 50 miles of Athens): http://camping.about.com/gi/dynamic/...arksearch.aspx

Athens is in the Hocking Hills Part of Ohio which is known for its great outdoor parks/camps. This is probably much cheaper than a hotel in case you plan on staying the night. Some of the campgrounds listed in the within 50 miles category might actually be the best ones that are more like 30 miles away. So make sure you look into them.

Please tell your smash friends. Thanks!

TheKiest

Smash Champion
REGISTER HERE

Clarification of Rules....

Reverse Tournament procedure:
Players trade mains
Players Stage Strike
Winner must remain the same character
Winner Bans stage
Loser picks stage
Loser picks secondary (opponent's secondary)
Best of 3, Best of 5 for finals

Example:

Keist(Kirby, D3 Vs Framerate (Jigglypuff, DK)
First round we stage strike knowing that it will be Jiggly vs Kirby
Frame wins, I CP stage.He must stay Kirby. I can pick Jigg OR DK
If I win again, I stay as the character I was.Frame can switch.

Crew Battle Procedure:

Team Captains Stage strike until there are 3 stages left. All MATCHES WILL BE THOSE 3 STAGES ON ORDERED!!!!!
Teams then select characters for each player. Those characters are final. PLAYERS CANNOT CHANGE CHARACTERS!!!
Teams pick starter.
The starters fight. Player who wins plays the next match with the same stock.
Since both teams know which stage is next... (since it is ORDERED MODE), teams should pick players who are good on those stages.
JV Stock rule Applies EXCEPT that you cannot start with more than 3 stock!
NO COUNTER PICKING STAGES!!!

Example: God Pies vs OUGA

We stage strike until FD, Halberd, and PS1 remain. (Thus order will be FD, Halberd, PS1, FD... until crew battle is finished)
OUGA picks their characters, God Pies pick theirs....
Starters are T-800 MK vs Keist Kirby on FD (will do automatically on Ordered mode)
T-800 wins. Stay as MK with 1 stock left. Next stage is Halberd
Frame enters as Jiggly and wins, next stage is PS1.
And so on...

T-800

Smash Apprentice
I'm in, but I'd still recommend having doubles. :(

MityMouse

Smash Rookie
T8er Tot,

Do you still want to fulfill your dream of teaming up with all members of OUGA at least once? You know, provided I can make it and the double tourney actually happens.

GOD PIES!!!!

Silhouette

Smash Lord
so for recess do you use your opponents secondaries? or your own?
and im guessing your own main is banned for counterpick.

you should also include that if a ditto match occurs with mains (ex. Sil vs. Mr. E, Keist vs. YBM, Wakka vs. AZ, etc...) that both players go random, MK and Snake still banned.

Edit: lol at MityMouses first ever post.

King~

Smash Champion
i love luigis mansion (pipes) and yoshi island pipes(pipes)

not but seriously why are these stages still on?

maybe right now, we'll see how things are going

jokey665

Smash Ace
i love luigis mansion (pipes) and yoshi island pipes(pipes)

not but seriously why are these stages still on?

maybe right now, we'll see how things are going
There are never enough Pipes (pipes). OUGA is all about the Pipes (pipes).

I may or may not come to this. I need to find some money really bad. Also I think there should be a Brawl+ side event while crews are going on or something.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Sounds like fun... I should be able to come... Won't sign up until I'm sure though...

Strange CP list by the way... I don't think I've seen a tourney where Port Town Aero Dive is legal yet... I know fromundaman will be happy about that one...

Framerate

Smash Lord
I wanna go to this sooooooooooo bad.

Casual tourney sounds AMAZING. Watching other people play as Jigglypuff will make my day.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
The reverse mains tourney is almost enough to make me go by itself. Too much ****.

I really hate the drive out to here though.

Also, planning on going to a lot of tourneys in July. So it might not happen.

Kel

Smash Master
I love the stage list.

How do you decide which character is someone's main when they use multiple characters? IE is Lain ICs or Dedede? Is Smash64 Ness or Snake? Is Infern Ike or Snake?

You're also forgetting that I'll win that **** because I'm the Azen of the Midwest. I play everybody!

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
I love the stage list.

How do you decide which character is someone's main when they use multiple characters? IE is Lain ICs or Dedede? Is Smash64 Ness or Snake? Is Infern Ike or Snake?

You're also forgetting that I'll win that **** because I'm the Azen of the Midwest. I play everybody!
Its brawl.. rofl. Everyone can play everybody :).

Framerate

Smash Lord
ICs, Ness, Snake. You can just kinda tell, it's the character they fall back on when they're really struggling. In a "hopeless" situation where they have no clue how to overcome their opponent, which character will they play simply because they are the most comfortable with said character. You can really tell when a player is committed to a character or when they're just picking up a secondary.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Kel's a weird exception... he kinda went through everyone before picking Meta Knight.

I figured Kel's main would be MK unless Japan showed him otherwise.
Regardless, the player decides and I'll know if they are bull****ing or not.

Also, is this your return to Ohio debut tournament Kel?

Kel

Smash Master
I switched to Marth for a bit because I thought MK would be banned soon, but now I'm just sticking to MK because banning MK is ********.

This will be my first OHIO tournament back, yes. But my first tournament back will be in Morehead.

GODPIES!

Framerate

Smash Lord
Amazing trailer!

We need to do God Kais vs God Pies at this.

Me, Pops, and Kiest vs Smash64, Infern, and Y.B.M.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This'll be good. :)

I wish I could stay with you guys for a week and just do side events.

Top Bottom