• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Captain Olimar

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Captain Olimar matchup.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
O_o first!

Anyway nair seems like a very useful approach in this matchup, nair to jab or f/dtilt at low %'s... nair goes through pikmin pretty easily, and just egg lay instead of nair if they try to shieldgrab. Just use your dj and get back out if they go back for a pivot grab.

Egglay to dsmash is still too good.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Hilt says that dair destroys oli in the match-up..... I am rather unsure of this so I need some clarification from some higher level yoshis that have faced higher level oli's. =\

D

Deleted member

I disagree except for offstage. If u dair oli offstage he will often fall to his doom :p
Its very punishable onstage unless u use it as a very rare mixup (say, they are pivot grabbing your aerial approaches, you can use that to maybe hit them, dunno).

Jab cancels **** oli :) Down tilt does too.

Airborne

Smash Lord
i'll try to get hilt to get on this thread. he seems to be the daycare person of the oli boards it seems. XD
and it seems like a lot of oli's are afraid of facing yoshi but i have no clue why. o.O

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
he seems to be the daycare person of the oli boards it seems. XD
hahaha i love it

sadly, i don't know the matchup enough to give any information on it :/
I've fought two yoshis, but only barely, and not enough to get the matchup down, or figure enough about it out. Airborne, if you're at the tournament this weekend we should get several friendlies in for this purpose. I need to figure the matchup out anyways, haha.

As for what I do know, basically what burntsocks said is correct. Dair offstage messes olimar up pretty bad. A lot more than any of your other aerials. Also, if you nair and it gets sheilded by olimar, throw out a jab. Olimar's grab takes eleven frames to come out and doesnt have grab armor. So you have at least 15 frames to hit us with a jab to cancel out our grab >.>

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I can't figure out how this matchup goes either, but Yoshi definitely has an easier time than most characters against Olimar. The range on Yoshi's grab really helps a lot as Olimar can't be too comfortable in one spot like he usually is. Don't grab too much, but know that the threat of being able to grab him through a ton of range keeps him earnest. How effective is ground pound on killing Pikmin?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Not very.

Especially if you miss, you are setting yourself up for massive damage.

Downsmash and neutral air are the most consistent Pikmin destroyers, while forward smash gets honorable mention for taking out pretty much every Pikmin (I believe you have to charge for an extra 2% to KO purple, I can't remember the exact number...I need to find my chart with all this information =_=).

Depster

Smash Champion
Is egg roll useful in this MU at all anymore? I know it kills pikmin but how do the olimar players usually respond nowadays?

.Marik

is a social misfit
@ Depster: Egg Roll is more useful in this matchup than it normally is in various other matchups.

It ***** Pikmin, but I wouldn't abuse the move, it can become quite predictable and Olimar can still Grab us OoS.

I find this to be a very fun matchup. It's a battle of wits, and both characters can get punished for making mistakes/playing too aggressively. :D

Fun matchup indeed.

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
I found the Bair most useful in this. You could play mindgames with it, little lag, and kills Pikmin u could say easily. Now that you mention it, Nair is good to. Id have to see wich of them works better at approaching and following up to a combo.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Egg roll can be useful when they sh or dj in the air to throw pikmin, you can usually hit them as they are landing, and you will kill any pikmin that land on you or infront of you.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Fighting Marth is fun because there is nothing gay about his character. He's good for solid reasons, and doesn't have any stupid moves that don't belong on the character (like MK's tornado/UP B, snake's up tilt and grenades, DDD's chain grabs etc) Marth is just solid and really good, so it's always fun fighting them.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Agreed/10.

On topic prz.

I wrote a post a long time ago on how to egg roll against Olimar. I should find it; it's in one of the old matchup threads.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
one thing ive learn is dont dash grab when he is on the ground, dont abuse bair for mid far approaches, he too short to land jumping egg lays easily, his pivot grab>our pivot grab, yoshi doesnt have many safe options when oli is on the ground. i dont know enough about oli air game and yea i need help

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm just going out on a limb here, but does Dair beat any of Oli's attacks? I'm mainly concerned about usmash. If it does beat it out, a full speed Dair going offstage would be an approach, sort of. =/

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Down air goes through many attacks that Olimar can toss out on the ground.

That would mean, however, that you'd have to wait for Olimar to throw out some sort of random attack and have you be in position and with enough time to down air and for there to be an offstage behind Olimar and lots of stuff. In truth, Olimar can just stand there and wait for you to do something and counter this kind of tactic with retreating short hop back air or forward air (up air would beat it, but I think it's too slow).

I know lots of people might not particularly agree with me, but if I'm having a hard time getting in on Olimar, I can most times fall back on waiting for the Pikmin Toss and just sucking up some damage to get in during that small open window. Getting in on Olimar is more than worth some damage, you just have to be really careful not to botch up your rush in. For super patient Olimars that don't leave too many openings, then I try to just abuse airdodges and land into some jabs or forward tilts. Olimars that are patient and gay can be really hard to get in on.

D

Deleted member

I suck at htis matchup even though i have a lot of exp with it :(

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I was actually thinking more along the lines of doing it as he's camping. I'm pretty sure Olimars camp near the ledge, or at least they have in my experience, which would make this a bit more useful.

I agree with the waiting. As long as it's not a purple you won't get messed up. If it's a white, you're going to take some damage, but as long as you are successful in getting in it's worth it. We really have a much easier time vs. Olimar once we get him into the air. Getting him there is the problem. =[

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
dair oli mar gets u down smash and i rather not eat to many dsmashes

i dont get what u mean by wait for him to throw pikmen, theres really now chance to punish him as they dont often throw pikmens while there in mid range.

i kinda get wait u mean now about the pikmen throw.

i really think this is a hard match for yoshi just cause of his superior ground game, which also beats out air game. i wonder how burntsocks fight him cause he said he has exp

hadesblade

Smash Lord
I play slee all the time and this matchup doesn't get any easier for me. Olimar can beat out almost everything you can do with a pivot grab. I've found rising nairs are probably the safest thing to do to a grounded olimar, mixing it in with a few egg lays if they sheild it too much. If you are close enough when olimar jumps to throw pikmin, you can either dash grab or dash attack (if pickmin are latched onto you it kills them) his landing. Once you get him in the air this matchup is a lot easier, I guess it's sort of like zelda in that aspect. Anyway once he's in the air just keep grabbing or smashing (if you have time to get under him... I've landed a few fsmashes on slee even) his landings.

And dair gets beaten by utilt...I don't know if it will beat usmash. If it does the oli will adjust.

auroreon

Smash Ace
:yoshi: Olimar is SO GAY.
Fixed it for ya.

I find Olimar the hardest character to fight in the game, IMO he is one of the 3 characters that don't seem to play by the general rules of the game (Olimar, ICs, Diddy).
By that I mean... when can practise the game in general you improve at fighting all the characters in the game except those 3.
Its like you have to learn to play Brawl and then learn how to play the Olimar matchup as if it was a different game.

I despise Olimar, I don't know how to beat a good Olimar, Im afraid I can be of no real use in this discussion.
But I will say that almost everything that has been suggested in this thread will not work against a decent Olimar.

D

Deleted member

The only thing that works is bair rushdown, i was gettin ***** by an oli then bwett told me to use more backair and then i almost won.
Still hella gay.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I have a couple playstyles first this MU. The one I usually use is just being completely aggressive in my approach, and then keeping close to the Oli so he can't set up his defenses anymore. I sometimes go on the defensive, but that's only when I'm ahead since I'm not really afraid of damage by that point. XD

Bwett

Smash Ace
Making a wall of bair is really strong against olimar. If you retreat it, and only advance if it pokes his shield, olimar has big problems. Plus, the mixups into egglay work really well since bair walls condition the opponent.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Making a wall of bair is really strong against olimar. If you retreat it, and only advance if it pokes his shield, olimar has big problems. Plus, the mixups into egglay work really well since bair walls condition the opponent.
How does it get anything done though? It makes a stalemate with olimars pikmin toss until he pulls out a purple and starts hitting you out of your bair... I guess I don't really understand how your using the bairs.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Creating a bair wall to attack the pikmin thrown at you will diminish the attack, making it more conducive for comboing, while strengthening your other attacks.

That and you can condition your opponent into taking the necessary precautions to deal with a bair (one of which is shield), and then do something else to punish it. (like use your command grab.)

You can also stall with it if you're ahead. *shrugs*

edit: Wow, I swear I didn't read all of bwett's post until just now. Looks like I just copied it. xD

Top Bottom