• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Captain Olimar

Airborne

Smash Lord
retreating bair can also bait shield, which will most likely waste it enough for oli to get poked by a consecutive bair... right?

and maybe that's why i used to use bair so much... too many oli's in the midwest.... @___@

Bwett

Smash Ace
Just make sure you come in, tap at his shield and retreat afterwards, of course using mixups so you aren't predictable. Trust me, olimars work on adding pressure with pikmin. Taking that element away from their game can cause them to panic and make mistakes.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
bumpidy bump.
Gonna submit a huuuuuuuuge post here soon.
I have a hell of alot of experience in the olimar match up. Before I came to smashboards I only brawled my friend whos a die hard olimar player. We both no the match up inside and out and we just submitted a huge summary to each other. The olimar thinks its 55/45 in olis favor, and I think its 55/45 in yoshis favor or 50/50. Were getting a third opinion right now, but once the 3rd summary is done were both gonna jump on this thread for ya'll. :>

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dont like it, teach me how to play him, i dont know D:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I dont like it, teach me how to play him, i dont know D:
Never fear sunnys here~! :3
And Z, you should like this match up. It requires lots of egg throwing~! :>

First of all, everything yoshi does in the air out-prioritizes anything olimar can do. All his smashes and aerials excluding U-air can be booted outta the way with a n-air, D-air, or b-air in some occasions. His U-air which probably has the most crazy priority in the game is beaten by our ground pound. The only time he well ever be able to out-prioritize you is with a yellow pikmin. Keep a close eye out for them.

Oh and if n-air hits it leads into a one two jab often.

second olimar CANNOT CAMP US. :D Are eggs move much farther then his pikmin and can be arched over them to hit oli. Olimar has to jump around to land any pikmin while dodging eggs while we can stay completely stationary if we wanted to. Olimar will also have tto take breaks to pluck pikmin as our eggs often collide into em and pick em off. To make it better we have an incredibly easy time killing pikmin that latch onto us. Are u-tilt will kill all pikmin no matter wear they are on you, and its quick enough to halt any damage they can dish out.

Third, olimar is ridiculously hard to approach on the ground. We may be able to our-prioritize his smashes with n-airs, but he can still just run away and pivot grab us. That is why we'll have to resort to our ability to outcamp him. Because we can outcamp him we have no reason to put ourselves in danger and try and rush him. The oli will eventually get sick of taking hits and having his pikmin die and come to us. Once he rushes identify if hes gonna do a attack or a grab. I say its best to stay in the air if he approaches, as our superior air mobilty will give us an edge. That and of course we can out-prioritize any of his ground moves in the air. (yellow pikmin are still a problem)

fourth, grabbing should either rarely or never occur in this match up between these two. The only one that will be doing the grabbing is olimar as all of his grabs outrange ours. only if you decide not to camp, or if you do something REALLY stupid will you get grabbed. Yoshi will only be able to get a grab if he times it right when olimars landing, or if olimar is being ******** to the max. A good olimar won't get grabbed. Trust me.

fifth, yoshi will never have problems recovering against olimar. Olimar can't hinder yoshis recovery in the least without putting himself up for either severe pain, or a spike. Olimar spike is mad useless when were under the ledge because of our u-air and the hyper armor on our second jump. The hyper armor has saved me multiple times in this match up and aloud me to counterattack while recovering. Double jump is your friend. Unless the yoshi is in a helpless state you should have the advantage from all angles. However when olis on the edge you can really mess with him. With our ground pound edgehogging we can stop his tether from getting the ledge if hes below. Just be careful because his daisy chain can spike us if were high enough, but often I find myself able to recover from it. If olimars on the ledge, stand back enough to wear he can't hit you with his ledge attack, but close enough to wear you can punish a roll. From here all you have to do is throw eggs in small arches. If olimar jumps to recover he'll take a hit from the egg or leave himself open for attack. If he rolls he puts himself in danger of getting hit by a smash. His get up attack won't hit us. His only option left is to jump up and down on the ledge and throw pikmin. Are eggs will slowly kill off the pikmin he throws forcing him to come up.

and obviously oli is very very easy to juggle. Just be weary that he can abuse the hyper armor frames of his whistle and counter attack us if hes very precise. If hes spamming the whistle you'll be able to hit him most of the time. if hes just falling helplessly thats when you should be cautious as hes probably gonna try and time a whistle counter and swat you away with one of his quick aerials. The oli has to be very precise for it to work though.

All in all if we play REALLY gay, and I mean really gay and just camp and punish him when hes approaching or in the air, or ledge we beat him hard. Just be careful as olimar can still wrack up huge damage if you do something stupid, and kill in the 90s with a purple U-smash, or a back throw from a blue pikmin.

also for the people that said egg rolling was a good way to get pikmin off your back. Do not...egg roll. Its possibly one of the worst rhings you can do, because your almost always gonna get grabbed. The oli I fight luvs it when I mess up and egg roll, because its a free d-throw > U-air combo for him. U-tilt is much faster if you want to get pikmin off.

My final rating is 55:45 in yoshis favor. The 3rd guys opinion was actually 65/35 but I don't think we beat him that hard.

and yea please excuse my horrid grammar and spelling. So anyone else agree, or disagree?

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
The only good olimar I've ever faced is the best powershielder I've ever met, so camping doesn't always work for me, but in general I agree. We have better camping options, while olimar has much better spacing and power options. I remember when I used to play wifi and I'd play super defensive at the end of my life, I always ended up doing better against olimar than when I tried to be aggressive.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Yea camping seems like the best thing to do against oli, even if he shields your hits, its better that he comes to you. Olimar can really wreck people quickly i've noticed. xD Quick damage wracking and unbelievably strong kill moves.

Anywho I changed my decision to 55/45 yoshis favor. We can get oli to come to us, but we can't camp him unless he decides to try and camp against us.

D

Deleted member

Sunnysunny, your post is majorly flawed and inaccurate. I appreciate the effort, but i must correct some important things about your writeup.

A few large things:
YOU CANNOT OUTCAMP OLIMAR!!!!! Olimar throws pikmen faster, and they stop eggs. Purples straight up destroy yoshi.
We cant get oli to approach unless they have no patience. Oli will be racking up damage much faster than we will camping.

Oli is hard to approach on the ground, but yoshi has the options to do it through bair rush, and mixing up your options out of a short hop back air, such as falling nair, rising nair, and egg lay.
Yoshi doesnt have the tools to out camp oli at all...

Yoshis running grab beats olimars grab btw, and grabbing is a very important part of the matchup. Olimar is floaty, but difficult to juggle because of pivot whistles, but grabbing on landing is pretty easy to do, because he falls so slowly and doesnt have any big aerials.

Also, neutral air DESTROYS yoshi in this matchup. Its such a dumb move, and wayy underrated.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I don't know anybody that underrates that move.

I thought it was a staple for his game, actually.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oh you mean olis silly spin? The oli I face doesn't n-air much but I think its like an aerial version of olimar u-tilt right? I havn't tested that move out yet but does it trade hits with are n-air or completely ourprioritize it? Hmm....sorry ya'll I tried. =p

If anything yoshi doesn't get camped as hard as other characters. His eggs can pick off pikmin when they collide, he can shake off pikmin quickly with his u-tilt, and you have to be pretty close for oli to get you with a purple pikmin throw. Are eggs also out range him unless hes jumping around, which can make it easier for him to get hit with eggs. We'll still be taking damage, but we can trade hits as well when olis jumping around to outrange our eggs.

And yea, this was tested on one oli player alot. .-. I suppose I shoulda fought some more before submitting eh? I hope I helped in even a minuscule amount. :>

D

Deleted member

Haha theres lots right with your post, just the camping is wrong.
If it works, keep doing it, just dont expect it to work on everryone.

Eggs do knock away pikmen, but just the same, pikmen blow up eggs, and this allows oli to spam away. I didnt know about utilt, so i will use this to knock away pikmen next time i play the matchup =]

Yoshi shouldnt rush the approach, and he doesnt really have to, but you gotta make sure u are being unpredictable.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Nah we have one olimar main but he's not amazing or anything, its just everyone here hates olimar because no one really knows how to use him lol

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I just find it funny how our one olimar main is a huge beefy tongan guy who's like 6'4" when olimar is the smallest character in brawl, pretty awesome imo

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I love using d-tilt in this match-up. ^_^

If he is on-stage, it can set up a tech-chasing opportunity, and since Olimar is the easiest character to tech-chase this will be very helpful.

If he is knocked off-stage then: 1) He is dead; or 2) He is extremely vulnerable.

And if we knock him out of his second jump with it... :bee:

:069:

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
When you say knock out of second jump, would this mostly happen when they ledge drop to jump? I can't think of any other time where olimar would be jumping over the edge since he's got that tether recovery.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, if we manage to make it so they have to double-jump to reach the ledge, then d-tilt is a really good option.

It's not foolproof, obviously, but it's a great move to use in that kind of situation.

:069:

Airborne

Smash Lord
One hilarious thing about this MU:
If you knock Olimar off the stage (envision a distance where he'll haveto recover with upb) with a move with very little ending lag, and he doesn't whistle immediately, throw an egg at the clusterf*ck of confused pikmin. Did this against Hilt in a friendly a loooong time ago, and ended up killing 5 of his pikmin with one egg. XD

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
My, this board is somewhat depressing. I didn't even see a good stage thread. ^^;

I don't know much about Yoshi TBH, but there are three things that bother me about what Sunny and Shiri said:

1. Olimar doesn't necessarily HAVE to jump to camp people. His grounded tosses cover anywhere from 25-50% of FD depending on the pikmin.

2. What kind of Olimar are you playing that uses a get-up attack on the ledge, Sunny? I haven't used that move in ages. ._.

3. I like Olimar. :<

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
My, this board is somewhat depressing. I didn't even see a good stage thread. ^^;

I don't know much about Yoshi TBH, but there are three things that bother me about what Sunny and Shiri said:

1. Olimar doesn't necessarily HAVE to jump to camp people. His grounded tosses cover anywhere from 25-50% of FD depending on the pikmin.

2. What kind of Olimar are you playing that uses a get-up attack on the ledge, Sunny? I haven't used that move in ages. ._.

3. I like Olimar. :<
Don't mind me im horrid. '3' And yea these boards are pretty dead. Theres like 6 yoshi players here.
Yoshis eggs out range a grounded olimars pikmin, even the white ones. In order for him to stay at a distance wear he outranged the eggs, if he jumps he outranges us. He doesnn't have to jump but i've seen some try and do so to outrange us.

The oli I fight never uses get up attack, im just thinking of all the options oli has on the ledge, other then throwing a crap load of pikmin at us.
I like oli too~! <3 Dood fights with his eyes closes.

Honestly theres only 2 olimar players I fought. One I fight on a weekly basis. It'd be nice to have a lil more experience against oli. Maybe we can battle sometime?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Don't mind me im horrid. '3' And yea these boards are pretty dead. Theres like 6 yoshi players here.
Yoshis eggs out range a grounded olimars pikmin, even the white ones. In order for him to stay at a distance wear he outranged the eggs, if he jumps he outranges us. He doesnn't have to jump but i've seen some try and do so to outrange us.

The oli I fight never uses get up attack, im just thinking of all the options oli has on the ledge, other then throwing a crap load of pikmin at us.
I like oli too~! <3 Dood fights with his eyes closes.

Honestly theres only 2 olimar players I fought. One I fight on a weekly basis. It'd be nice to have a lil more experience against oli. Maybe we can battle sometime?
Finally someone who realizes how ****** it is that Oli fights with his eyes shut :D

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
First off, Vocal do you visit EVERY board EVERY time you get on? XD

Second, my sincerest apologies if what I said about the liveliness of the boards was offensive. I was just under the impression that more people played Yoshi because there were a couple of them at a tournament I went to recently and we have one that just moved to Austin.

Third, Olimar has a number of other ledge options that haven't been mentioned. I'm not going to list them all because it would take quite a while, but my favorite is "dropjump -> Whistle -> Nair -> whatever".
Uair under the stage is probably the most popular option.

And I would love to play you, Sunny, but I don't wifi anymore (because it dramatically changes match-ups and timing) and I doubt you live in Texas. :<

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
First off, Vocal do you visit EVERY board EVERY time you get on? XD

Second, my sincerest apologies if what I said about the liveliness of the boards was offensive. I was just under the impression that more people played Yoshi because there were a couple of them at a tournament I went to recently and we have one that just moved to Austin.

Third, Olimar has a number of other ledge options that haven't been mentioned. I'm not going to list them all because it would take quite a while, but my favorite is "dropjump -> Whistle -> Nair -> whatever".
Uair under the stage is probably the most popular option.

And I would love to play you, Sunny, but I don't wifi anymore (because it dramatically changes match-ups and timing) and I doubt you live in Texas. :<
No, I just posted in this about a month ago (two before you, actually) so it came up under my subscriptions ^_^

Why do I feel the need to ask what your avatar is even though I also feel like I've asked before...

oh yea, terrible memory, that's why :chuckle:

Top Bottom