• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot grabbing out of shield

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
You do this by simply

Dash

Shield

Right after you shield Push the Cstick diagonally down in the direction you'd pivot grab.

By doing this you still have the momentum from dash shielding and you'll pivot grab

It helps G&W the most imo

Discuss?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Oh yah... down registers as a grab, up is Up smash OoS (if you have tap j ump on IIRC, or it's another grab) and left/right is rolling....

Mind testing the above for me? someone's on the TV and I'm unable to test. :x

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
The action of pressing the shield and hitting the smash stick at the same time registers it as a grab input since youre pressing R and A essentially, the smash stick allows you to change which direction said input is going. This allowsyou to power shield an incoming attack while retreating from it then immediately grab out of it, giving pivot grabs an extra defensive boost.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Too Smart. I'm disappointed I didn't know this when I was doing my C-stick reseach.

I'm jealous Atomsk. Good stuff here. Well done.

EDIT: TBH, I think Usmash OOS will be more useful for me. Marth's Usmash has good range, and off a powershield, it's pretty amazing . . .

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'd usually make attempts to pivot grab in cross ups, but this way might be a lot more effective.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Too Smart. I'm disappointed I didn't know this when I was doing my C-stick reseach.

I'm jealous Atomsk. Good stuff here. Well done.

EDIT: TBH, I think Usmash OOS will be more useful for me. Marth's Usmash has good range, and off a powershield, it's pretty amazing . . .
That depends. Marth's grab game at lower %'s is excellent as well as higher %'s being pretty good themselves.

Also don't forget up-B OoS.

Also having 3 options isn't that bad. ;) since some people start to predict usmash/up-B out of shield so they shield to avoid it.

You know what beats shielding?

Grabbing.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
This will step up my snake's game, I was able to test it.

This is sexy. No more being safe from shield grabs from cross-ups? haha....

Also thanks for explaining Ryko? XD
It is big for snake , but it's honestly big for everyone considering the implications of actually being able to shield an attack and pivot grab it even when you're not at an initial range advantage. Atomsk ran across it 2 saturdays ago and lemme know about it, it's been hell keeping my yap shut.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Are right and left locked out? Usually, when using the C-stick, it picks available A options when you hit down (IE: instant dash attack when dashing) which makes grab make a whole lot of sense, and obviously diagonal will make a pivot grab. Right and left usually have window for buffering (IE: Stutter step fsmash), which makes me curious if it locks out the option, or performs a roll. It will probably perform a studder step roll in the opening dash, but I'm curious what it does at later points. I'll run some tests tomorrow to see if I find anything new. I'll also link this in the C-stick compendium. Once again, really nice work Atomsk.

@ Susa

Yeah, except you'll have some serious frame advantage off a buffed attack OOPS (out of perfect shield). Frame 12 isn't ideal, but it'll probably stuff any dash attacks, or anything not jab/poke. It's pretty solid probably. Mario's Usmash is 9 frames, even better, considering that his pivot grab is also 9 frames.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Is it the same animation as dropping your shield to pivot grab or does it literally do it out of shield?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Am I the only person having trouble doing this with my shield up? I can get the grab if I shield/C-stick simultaneously, but...

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
How about from a foxtrot? Does it have to be a full dash? It shouldn't require a foxtrot, by all rights, but I just want to confirm.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
So which characters flatout amaze with this.

Fox\Charazards isn't that bad.

Also I wonder if you can do this out of shield-stun/push.
(Way too tired to even try...)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
This technique and the discovery of this technique are not good for tether grabbers. Not at all. Samus/Link/ZSS/Lucas etc. can't use it and will get ***** by it.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Every non tether grab gets added functionality out of this. It doesnt change whose pivotgrabs are the best, it just adds another point during a defensive maneuver in which you can use it. If someone's hitting your shield it doesnt matter what your pivot grab range is, every pivot grab in the game will flat out connect if something hits from the distance of their character's shield.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Test it for every character. Plus, how would this work for a wiimote nunchuck user? (me, razer etc...)

Top Bottom