• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot grabbing out of shield

IxxI

Smash Fence
Do you still need to input a direction with the control stick diagonally if you use the grab button or A button?

TreK

Is "that guy"
As usual, this doesn't work as yoshi. Stupid shield.
I still don't exactly get the point, as the shield is up for like 5 frames only =/

Staco

Smash Champion
You just did a pivot grab.
Just Dash and press Z + other direction to do this. xD

So ****ing funny. If any random had posted this any1 would go like: Its just a normal pivot grab. and because its Atomsk they all think its sth. new.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
You just did a pivot grab.
Just Dash and press Z + other direction to do this. xD
I don't think you are doing it right. The shield comes out for like 1-5 frames. (I think it's only 2-3 TBH)

The shield can be useful to pivot grab things like dash attacks with single hitboxes and the likes, as a safety measure of sorts for IF they MIGHT hit you.

So the functionality of this is to simply punish momentum carrying attacks that would go through you such as as opponents dash attack. But really only on the powershield.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
like for example, say luigi is down-b ing you from behind, time it right and you get a powershield and a free grab from a move that when spaced properly is usually hard to punish

thats one example but as we play more we could learn lots of things this is useful for

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Can this also be used from a shieldpush? Like pivot grab out of shield momentum?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just tested it out with several characters including my main.

It's not any different than a regular pivotgrab in terms of how useful it is.

It's just done using a different method.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I just tested it out with several characters including my main.

It's not any different than a regular pivotgrab in terms of how useful it is.

It's just done using a different method.
I agree, but there are two slight changes

1. slight chance of powershield

2. changes your momentum from a normal pivot grab

The "hitbox" of your grab might change, but I'm unsure.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Wasn't this found out some time ago? You can also shield-running grab. It doesn't look that useful to me. The chance to powershield and pivot grab doesn't seem that different than just pivot grabbing... if the enemy hits you you'll have the grab SA.

But maybe it helps to pivot grab MK out of the tornado?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agree, but there are two slight changes

1. slight chance of powershield

2. changes your momentum from a normal pivot grab

The "hitbox" of your grab might change, but I'm unsure.
Even with a chance to powershield an attack, I don't see any realistic applications. The only thing I can think of is countering cross-up attacks. Even then, you have do to it out of a dash and out of shield.

Also, what change in momentum is there? Or rather, what's the difference in momentum from a normal pivotgrab?

The grabbox isn't any different from a normal pivotrgrab.

FUNKLAB

Smash Cadet
i suggest you make a video of exactly how this works, atomsk.
many people aren't understanding how this can be used in play.
I 2nd this. Someone please make a video because I'm trying and it just doesn't seem as useful as some people are making it out to be. I'm missing something.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
the animation you get, is it a standing grab animation or a pivot grab animation? (i ask this because for some characters their pivot grab animations are shorter than standing grab animations)

Prawn

Smash Master
PFL.

but yeah I think this would be most useful for ICs given there terrible traction.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
the animation you get, is it a standing grab animation or a pivot grab animation? (i ask this because for some characters their pivot grab animations are shorter than standing grab animations)
It's just one of the many ways you can do a dash->pivotgrab, except a shield comes out for a split second.

You run, shield->c-stick diagonal-down (as the shield comes out), and you pivotgrab normally.

But to answer your question directly, it's a normal pivotgrab animation.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
i suggest you make a video of exactly how this works, atomsk.
many people aren't understanding how this can be used in play.
4th
i think this could SERIOUSLY help characters like ICs, Dedede, Snake, Lucas, Yoshi ect. maybe even characters like ZSS O.O
Cool find.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
4th
i think this could SERIOUSLY help characters like ICs, Dedede, Snake, Lucas, Yoshi ect. maybe even characters like ZSS O.O
Cool find.
=/ apparently you haven't seen the posts ssaying that this does not work for yoshi =(. it's also been said that it will be terrible for the tether grab chars like lucas and ZSS.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It lets Lucas slide a little further. It almost looks like it extends the grab hitbox but I could just be imagining it. Lucas's grab sucks in general. This might be slightly more useful than pivot grabbing for him.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
=/ apparently you haven't seen the posts ssaying that this does not work for yoshi =(. it's also been said that it will be terrible for the tether grab chars like lucas and ZSS.
Sry im not going to go thru 8 pages to see something =/
But I would think i'd be BETTER for Lucas because his normal grab is fail and pivot is good =(
Now that I think about it it makes sense it isn't good for tether grabbers, but I don't understand lucas yet.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Doesn't have to be the c stick, can be the grab button or A button also.
Wow, then this information is like, months old. Gonzo made a post about this a loooong time ago. He emphasized the powershield dash grab, but he mentioned that you could pivot grab too. I guess its nice to know you can do it with the c-stick, but the joystick only seems much easier.

Top Bottom